Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question "Green" Fougères?

I was at the gym this morning, in the locker room packing up to go home, when I smelled what I can only describe as a pine fougère smell coming from somewhere.

Try as I might, I couldn't find the source--probably long-departed--but I figured it was probably some black-canister body spray. Actually, it smelled the way I always imagined Pino Silvestre did (never actually tried it).

Still, the basic idea has a certain appeal so I am curious, any suggestions for well-done green/herbaceous/coniferous fougères?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Green" Fougères?

My kinda question

I think of very "green" fougeres like Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern, Penhaligon's English Fern... and I think of a mossy, green-field sort of scent.
    Trumper's discontinued Silvestre had a bit of pine and vetiver, and is very nice (though hard to get now).
    Pino Silvestre is actually quite herbal (and not really pine-like, despite the name).
    Armani Eau pour Homme is a very available and classy example of a green fougere.

I'll check my notes and see if something else occurs to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it wasn't Polo by Ralph Lauren? I cannot tell you how many times I have smelled that fragrance in a gym locker room. Tons of times. It's so popular and yet...it smells so darned good. Even when you're smelling someone's Polo scented underarm deodorant, it's still brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th May 2010 at 02:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it probably was Polo, which is very popular. I always find that Polo delivers a pronounced and tangy brown tobacco-leaf note, which detracts in my opinion, from the green mossy and pine notes which I would enjoy.
    Just to mention two other pine/moss scents....
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    good ol' Tsar by VC&A (in whatever formulation, they're all good)
    Last edited by odysseusm; 25th May 2010 at 03:21 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis New West

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you suggestions so far, I will try and hunt all of them down.

odysseusm, is Armani eau Pour Homme the 80's powerhouse that many folks here have said is the only Armani fragrance worth a damn? I had been curious about that one, anyway, and the barbershop firm Ferns. Much obliged.

Ah, another Aramis to test, thanks blondex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't Polo by Ralph Lauren?
    No, actually, I am not sure.

I used to own Polo and enjoy(ed) it very much by I can't say as I have ever smelled it on someone else. If that is what the sillage is like--even after a few minutes of lounging about in a humid, sweaty locker room--then maybe it is worth owning again.

Will test again to make sure, thanks.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 25th May 2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Dubious, at best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    ...odysseusm, is Armani eau Pour Homme the 80's powerhouse that many folks here have said is the only Armani fragrance worth a damn? I had been curious about that one, anyway, and the barbershop firm Ferns. Much obliged.
    Armani Eau pour Homme, 1984. Exactly. Personally, I don't class it as a "powerhouse" scent (although it is from the 80's). It does not have the usual qualities of powerhouse: big wallops of leather, spice, and patchouli. Instead, it combines a very good citrus and herbal note on a mossy base. The mossy base definitely is old-school, I'll grant that. Until I get into the Armani Prive line, I do find the Armani EpH to be the only Armani which interests me.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 25th May 2010 at 12:12 PM.
    odysseusm

I suggest you to smell Eau de campagne by Sisley, one of the best green and fresh frag imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I suggest you to smell Eau de campagne by Sisley, one of the best green and fresh frag imo.
    That is a great scent! Very fresh, indeed... and very green. It has a pronounced note of freshly-rubbed tomato leaves.
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

Other fougeres which have green elements, not necessarily pine, are Cartier Pasha, Herrera for Men, Loewe Pour Homme, YSL Jazz and Live Jazz, Givenchy Xeryus, Versace Green Jeans, Joop What About Adam, and Lauder for Men.

Other fougeres with more of a pine note, other than Pino Silvestre, include Acqua di Selva and Puig Agua Brava.

Post Thanks / Like

Polo is definitely popular, but I don't find it to be green smelling, and I don't believe it's a fougere.

A "green fougere" type scent in the gym locker room? My guess? Claiborne For Men - the original from the 1980s. I don't know if it's a fougere, but it's got a fougere-like sharpness to it along with a very green note in it. Also, it's still readilby available for cheap prices at places like Marshall's.

Just my own two cents...

P.S. The best green fougere IMO? Wild Fern!

DeepSilence

What about Dunhill Desire Blue?
    Aramis New west: with lavander in top, pine wood in middle, oakmoss in base. Top is similar to woody aromatics imo, and very herbaceous in base
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 25th May 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    ...the best green fougere imo? Wild fern!
    word.
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

grey flannel is beastly green
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    grey flannel is beastly green
    Interesting assessment. Everybody has scents react on their skin differently. For me, GF registers strongly as violet leaf, which I always consider to be a silvery-bright sort of note.
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Halston 1-12? I've heard that described as a "green fougere".

I've always thought that it had a similar vibe (although much more refined) as Claiborne.

Pino always reminds me of raw white pine tar.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Knize Forest?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Polo is definitely popular, but I don't find it to be green smelling, and I don't believe it's a fougere.

A "green fougere" type scent in the gym locker room? My guess? Claiborne For Men - the original from the 1980s. I don't know if it's a fougere, but it's got a fougere-like sharpness to it along with a very green note in it. Also, it's still readilby available for cheap prices at places like Marshall's.

Just my own two cents...
    I think it still perplexes me, how different all of our noses are in perceiving scents.

I think Polo is super green, when I smell it. It's perhaps the greenest green I can imagine.

And while I used to wear Claiborne for Men a whole bunch when I was growing up, I always thought about that scent as a 'fresh' masculine, due to that musky ozonic note it has, that kind of smells like a thundercloud right before the rain. We are talking about CFM, the one in the black rubber bottomed bottle, in the smoky dark glass bottle with a red, cube-shaped plastic cap?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th May 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it still perplexes me, how different all of our noses are in perceiving scents.

I think Polo is super green, when I smell it. It's perhaps the greenest green I can imagine.

And while I used to wear Claiborne for Men a whole bunch when I was growing up, I always thought about that scent as a 'fresh' masculine, due to that musky ozonic note it has, that kind of smells like a thundercloud right before the rain. We are talking about CFM, the one in the black rubber bottomed bottle, in the smoky dark glass bottle with a red, cube-shaped plastic cap?
    Yep, I'm talking about the same Claiborne you are. I agree that it's a "fresh" frag (I hate the ozone note in it), but I get a pretty prominent green moss note in Claiborne that I really like. It smells quite green to me, though far from the greenest thing I've ever smelled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the original Polo, but it just doesn't smell green to me. I also don't detect much if any pine in it either. I think Polo smells woody and smoky, which makes me think of dark brown. I also smell a big fat patchouli note in Polo, which is one of the reasons I love Polo so much.
    Last edited by shamu1; 26th May 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the original Polo, but it just doesn't smell green to me. I also don't detect much if any pine in it either. I think Polo smells woody and smoky, which makes me think of dark brown. I also smell a big fat patchouli note in Polo, which is one of the reasons I love Polo so much.
    I'm gonna side with shamu here (peace be unto mike). Polo definitely registers brown to me, or rather I find a thin top layer of green and then a massive foundation of brown. I call it tobacco leaf, shamu calls it patchouli... it certainly is smoky and earthy

& any thread where Knize Forest is mentioned must be excellent!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Interesting assessment. Everybody has scents react on their skin differently. For me, GF registers strongly as violet leaf, which I always consider to be a silvery-bright sort of note.
    Same for me. I'd heard it described as green fougere but the ionone dominates any galbanum lurking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default "Green" Fougères?

This sounds just like Paco Rabanne pour homme to me. I know that there are other green and herbal components to it, but to me "pine fougere" utterly captures it.
    jtd

Boum Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: "Green" Fougères?

For the record, I don't care what the guy at the gym was actually wearing. It seemed cheaply executed but I did appreciate the idea it attempted to convey.

Thank you all for the suggestions; exactly the sorts of things I was looking for. Really makes you appreciate just how rich the fougère genre is.

A couple I am quite looking forward to trying are both of ody's Ferns, Eau de Campagne (also recommended to me in this month's Today I Sampled thread for its use of tomato leaf), New West, and Knize Forest. Oh, and Acqua di Selva, too.

As much as like Paco Rabanne pour Homme, I am not sure I would enjoy wearing it. Always worth revisiting, though.

I tend to agree with this. Although Polo resists any attempt at categorization, to my mind, it evokes the greenest of green mosses. The bottle color helps, too.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 27th May 2010 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Boum Homme
    I have never heard of this. What is it like?

Post Thanks / Like

i would like a green fougere that reminded me of forest and gives a fresh viBes so i can wear it at summer time

acqua di parma - colonia essenza its a citrus aromatic very reminiscent of a forest to me

Maybe One Man Show?

Post Thanks / Like

I fully second Pino Silvestre, Polo, Knize Forest and Paco Rabanne PH

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Nobile - probably the premiere pure green fougere
    Patou pour Homme Prive - fougere with green accents (galbanum)
    Lauder for Men - citrus fougere with green accents
    Loewe pour Homme (vintage) - citrus fougere with green accents
    Blue Stratos - fresh green fougere
    English Fern - fougere with green accents, but the recent stuff is hardly worth owning
    Bowling Green - fougere with green accents
    Nino Cerruti (1979) - not a fougere but an intensely rich green and the only great fragrance from that house
    Others........there are a lot of them with green accents

Not that it matters, but vetiver is technically considered woody rather than green.

Paco Rabanne pour Homme is extremely herbal but not necessarily green - but what the hell
    Polo is a dry woods chypre
    Wild Fern is a mossy woods chypre
    One Man Show is a dry woods chypre
    Halston 1-12 is a pure green but not a fougere
    Eau de Campagne is a pure green but not a fougere
    New West for Him is a marine
    Armani Eau pour Homme is a citrus
    Pino Silvestre is a woods fragrance focused on pine
    Acqua di Selva is a woods fragrance with green accents

Something anyway................
    Last edited by pluran; 14th August 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

what are the difference Between patou pour homme and pour homme prive?

Off-Scenter

I'd recommend Fou d'Absinthe, and offer another nod to Bowling Green as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice list, pluran. I will study it.
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    This sounds just like Paco Rabanne pour homme to me. I know that there are other green and herbal components to it, but to me "pine fougere" utterly captures it.
    +1000

Paco Rabanne is the definitive green fougere. I own the vintage version, and it just encapsulates the genre.

I recommend Fougere Royal which was recently reissued, it is very green and every bit of it is amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    what are the difference Between patou pour homme and pour homme prive?
    Patou Pour Homme is a rich, dense oriental-chypre hybrid in smell.

Patou Pour Homme Prive is an aromatic fougere (lavender).
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: "Green" Fougères?

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    How about Knize Forest?
    + 1. I love it, my favourite green fougère
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

excellent suggestions so far.
    I'd like to mention Joseph Abboud, a fragrance that doesn't get much air time.

It may not have lavender in it, but it's very aromatic and ferny.
    These are the notes according to Aus Liebe Zum Duft:

Topnote: Lemon, Orange, Basil, Bergamot

Heartnote: Jasmine, Violet, Ginger, Thyme, Camomile, Black Pepper

Basenote: Cardamom, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Ambergris