Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances with "bite", sting, fizz? Suggestions?

I still lack the perfumer's vocabulary necessary to describe what I want, so hopefully some of the more experienced here can tell me what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to buy a new fragrance, and in looking, smelling, thinking about it, I think I've figured out at least one thing missing from many perfumes I've discarded. It can best be generalized as a "sharpness", but maybe some examples of things that have this quality could help:

- carbonation: champagne in particular sounds appealing
    - smoke: the kind that burns your eyes a little; campfires moreso than incense
    - metal: a metallic smell would be interesting
    - cinnamon, cayenne, etc: in a NON oriental context, I think. cinnamon is one of my favorite things, but I'm feeling very opposed to an oriental fragrance right now
    - weird chemicals: okay, not hard to come by when it comes to perfume, but I guess I'm saying I'm open to very synthetic smelling things when it's right.

I hesitate to say what I've liked in the past because I'm not sure I want the same thing anymore. Do you have any suggestions based purely on this description?

Default Re: Fragrances with "bite", sting, fizz? Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 999 View Post
    - carbonation: champagne in particular sounds appealing
    I attempted to sample Parfum d'Empire's (female-marketed) Ambre Russe last night but ended up falling asleep early. The champagne topnote in this is magic, and there is a bright fizzyness that continues on for some time. (How long I couldn't tell you, seeing as how I smelled the drydown while I was brushing my teeth this morning.)

Lots of people whose opinions I respect say this is their favorite amber; certainly worth checking out.

EDIT: Also, what else do you already own?

EDIT 2: And welcome!
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 25th May 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Pepper- Poivre by Caron !
    Fizz- Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - also has cinnamon .
    Metal - Comme des Garcons X Stephen Jones- metal,stone,violets.
    Unusual scent- Escentric Molecules, Molecule 01 etc

Welcome to Basenotes !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Galbanum notes often give me a sense of carbonated fizziness, because they're so sharp and brisk. So do some astringent citruses -- if you search on, say, lime and galbanum, you might find some things to sample.

L Eau De Issey starts carbonated to my nose

For a fizzy fragrance, I recommend Chanel pour monsieur. Bvlgari Black has a bit of a smoky feel to it.

Pine might give the bright note, but it is hard to find a good pine scent. Epicea by Creed combines pine & smoke.
    I'm no oud expert but oud definitely is a piercing note.
    Violet leaf also is a bright, shiny note.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Metalic: Caron's L'Anarchiste
    Sharp bite: Beene's Bowling Green. Still makes me sneeze if I'm not careful.

Bite, fizz: Yvresse YSL
    Last edited by Seanvik; 26th May 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Smoke: Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant and, if you get your hands on it, Eau du Fier.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Thanks for your help and for the welcome. I'll be trying as many of these as possible when I go to the Perfume House here in Portland. I'll make a point of ordering samples of a few as well.

For smoke, look for fragrances with birch tar, e.g. Sonoma Studios Fireside Intense (which I haven't tried) and Ava Luxe Incense Noir. Incense Noir is woodsmoke over incense, like throwing resin onto a campfire.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

carbonation: You need to look for aldehyde prominent scents, since most aldehydes smell like fizzy water or have that carbonated feel to the nose. Some popular and aldehyde-prominent powerhouses (off the top of my head) are: White Linen by Estee Lauder; Puro Lino by Puro Lino; No. 5, No. 19 and No. 22 by Chanel (try the Eau de Toilette formulas for the most dizzying aldehydes)

smoke: 2 Man by Comme des Garcons; Eau de Fier by Annick Goutal (hard-to-find); Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes; Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

metallic: Nu by Yves St. Laurent; 3 and Odeur 71 by Comme des Garcons; Dazzling Silver by Estee Lauder

cinnamon: A great non-oriental cinnamon fragrance is Cinnamon (Series 5: Sherbet) by Comme des Garcons. Another is Splash Forte by IUNX. cayenne? Not so sure...good question!

weird chemicals: You need to try all of the Comme des Garcons scents in the Series 6: Synthetic range. All 5 are pretty weird...my favorite is Soda. Also try Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons and Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful.

Good luck and welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th May 2010 at 07:49 PM.

When I saw 'bite' and 'sting' the first thing I thought of was Frederic Malle & Jean Claude Ellena's 'Angelique Sous La Pluie' by Editions de Parfum.

It has a great slightly anisic Gin & Tonic lip puckering tartness to me that is interesting - at least in the early stages - then it rolls into a smart green scent of sorts . . .

I keep meaning to give Trumper's 'Eau de Quinine' a shot sometime - that should really be a G&T.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 27th May 2010 at 01:51 PM.

- carbonation/fizz: Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose - it's like a grapefruit Italian soda. +1 Angelique Sous La Pluie.
    - campfires: Gucci Pour Homme if you're OK with a masculine.
    - metal: Caron L'Anarchiste, definitely.
    - non-oriental cinnamon, cayenne: I think L'Air du Desert Marocain would satisfy you, though I don't think cinnamon is listed as a note. A very dry spicy scent.
    - weird chemicals: Comme des Garcons Odeur 53, or pretty much anything from CdG Series 6.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th May 2010 at 04:52 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Another vote for Tauer L'Air. It dries down beautfully but the first hour or so has some serious bite.

You have a good point about the aldehydes, mikeperez23. Lately I've been wearing Hermes Caleche and I think that's what first attracts me to it.

Francesco Smalto (the original) starts out with a smell that reminds me of burning herbs and smoked meat. It can last quite a while, depending upon skin chemistry, etc.

Elizabeth Taylor's Black Pearls perfume has pepper in it and packs a spicy punch to your nose!

For smokyness I would suggest Feu de bois/ firewood by Ava Luxe.Very realistic. For sharpness I suggest you seek out very aldehydic fragrances. The classic Estee Lauders and Chanels are worth a try,I think.For pepper try Nu by YSL.

Should have looked closer at the other's responses. I agree with Mike Perez, in other words
    Last edited by ineespenes; 31st May 2010 at 03:51 PM.

Sting pepper> Poivre piquant by L'artisan parfumeur

Cinnamon in non oriental - L'eau Diptyque

Smoken leather - Peau d'Espagne by Santa maria novella