Code of Conduct

Default Gendarme and Mugler Cologne: A Comparative Review

So, I acquired samples of both these fine frags, and I've been wearing them around to get a sense (pun intended) of them.

I was surprised how similar they are on the dry down. They have a similar feminine softness, even though the top notes are quite different. They really are sister fragrances, and I can't imagine owning both of them.

The Mugler is beautiful, but after wearing it for hours I started to get a little sick from it. As soft and inoffensive as it is, it started to get sickly in its softness. I love the smell, but its hard to wear for too long. Gendarme doesn't have this sickly quality.

Mugler also has a feminine floral that reminds me of an older woman, which doesn't really suit me.

Overall, both of these fragrances are very nice, and I love smelling them both. But I think I want to smell them on my girlfriend rather than on myself. As nice as they are, I'm not sure I want to smell like that. It doesn't quite fit my identity.

Nonetheless, high marks on both.

Default Re: Gendarme and Mugler Cologne: A Comparative Review

I also have samples of Mugler. I think it's a decent cologne. Kinda like Irish Spring in a bottle I guess. I don't
    own any Gendarmes, but would love to sample all of them some day. I like soapy freshness on occasion.

I don't really see how Gendarme could be construed as a feminine fragrance, when it really smells exactly like very high quality soap. Surely we all use soap?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I find Gendarme very sharp and manly - basically a hunk of soap from top to bottom. Nice if that's what you're after.

MC is, to me, much more synthetic in its overwhelming white-muskiness. Maybe it's my skin, but MC was a synthetic sillage bomb on me. I found it cloying and, like you, it made me feel crappy.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I find Gendarme very sharp and manly - basically a hunk of soap from top to bottom. Nice if that's what you're after.

MC is, to me, much more synthetic in its overwhelming white-muskiness. Maybe it's my skin, but MC was a synthetic sillage bomb on me. I found it cloying and, like you, it made me feel crappy.
    Yup. My thoughts exactly.
    I suffered daily with a coworker who wore Mugler Cologne and clearly had no idea how strong it is. Everyone was always complaining behind her back, and finally a supervisor had to speak with her about it. Since then I just cant be around it. Too aldihydic, too musky, and just overwhelming. I know many folks love this one, but please, go lightly.
    I enjoy Gendarme, just because it smells nice, but its not the most interesting fragrance in my wardrobe. I do end up wearing it a lot when the situation calls for something sedate, fresh, and inoffensive.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

It is funny, because Mugler Cologne is one of those frags people always say you can spray how much you want with. I've always found it to be quite persistent as well and definitely not one to go nuts with when it comes to number of sprays.

I miss my Gendarme, need a new bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    It is funny, because Mugler Cologne is one of those frags people always say you can spray how much you want with. I've always found it to be quite persistent as well and definitely not one to go nuts with when it comes to number of sprays.
    It's true - I have no idea why or how it developed that reputation. Many people must be anosmic to that synthetic musk note that irritates me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."