Code of Conduct

Default Need my first ever perfume/cologne

Hey guys, 18 yr old senior in high school here (male)

I really need a perfume that's UNDER 50-60 dollars max. I like fresh scents that girls will absolutely love and compliment/take notice of (yedig lol)

I was thinking Davidoff Cool Water?

Default Re: Need my first ever perfume/cologne

Hello, and Welcome (says another relative newbie!).

I suspect you've been lurking for a while and you already know this monster thread in Male Fragrance Discussion with a summary by Jonty about halfway down page 31...

Cool Water seems as good a place as any to start.

If you already have a 'girl of the moment' you could try taking her on a 'sniffing expedition' to find out which colognes 'work' for her on your personal body chemistry...

Otherwise, with a bit of imagination, you can use your entry into this hobby as a way of 'making yourself known' to the other half of the population of this planet.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want me to spell it out for you...

Blog Entries

Cool Water is good, ive found American Eagle True to be excellent (dont spray it on clothes, it smells aweful if you do!), Hollister's Jake isnt purely a fresh scent but its still "fresh smelling" to me, and girls ADORE it. Pacsun's actually got this new cologne line out, issue No.1. the whiteish bottle is fresh

Cool Water is a great newbie scent that most girls should love. I actually own a bottle of Cool Water Frozen.
    You could get that one instead. That way, if someone says, "Hey Buddy, you smell great!" You can say,
    "Thanks, thats Cool Water Frozen" That way you seem more unique, and also smell basically the same as
    if you were wearing the original anyway!

Blog Entries

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but it sounds like you need Acqua di Gio. It is fresh smelling, and though it gets slammed on this board a lot because it is overly popular, girls love it. It is true that it's very popular, but maybe that's why the girls love it, because it is familiar.

Sur la Plage

You should go out and sample, sample sample. And I would suggest trying some things that not every person walking down the street is wearing. Set yourself apart from the crowd!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th May 2010 at 03:30 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cool Water - Sure, why not. You might be able to find it at deep discount at TJ Maxx/Marshall's/Ross. Same with Acqua Di Gio.

Thierry Mugler Cologne is a good one as well. A bit more unique than CW and AdG, but clean and fresh. You can try it at Sephora, and probably find a better deal online. It's really good - this one will make you stand out from the rest of the 18 year old crowd.

http://reviews.sephora.com/8723/P128705/reviews.htm
    Last edited by adonis; 26th May 2010 at 04:01 AM.

I am giving a second "thumbs up" to the recommendation of Aqua di Gio (henceforth ADG). Other than its lack of longevity, which may differ with you, it is a brilliant fragrance. It is versatile in its ability to be dressed up or down depending on your wardrobe, how it works with any situation from just-hanging-out to romantic and gets compliments from the ladies. A classic that I've found myself returning to even after spending a fortune on Creeds.

Another one to consider is "Happy" for men, by Clinique. It has all the versatility of ADG but has the advantage of making you stand out from the crowd -- who are all wearing ADG! Downsides: it is orange-like but not overtly. This could clash with your personality or style (i.e. if you look/act like a 400 lb WWF Wrassler or a rough Highlander it won't be complimentary) Test it. Don't get it blind.

Why one? Get mini bottles of different fragrances that you have researched well. These can be had at various perfume kiosks found in malls in the U.S.

If you go the mini bottle route, try to get an ADG one.

Welcome to the fragrance world.

Get ADG NOW!
    Last edited by Sensual; 26th May 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You should go out and sample, sample sample. And I would suggest trying some things that not every person walking down the street is wearing. Set yourself apart from the crowd!
    I think this is the best advice.
    Sample and see for yourself. I have Cool Water and is not so special. Is for those who only want to smell good, clean and it reminds me of cheap aftershave. Perhaps you want to smell extraordinary. Then go and sample

Banned
    Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with CW but it's not the most exciting or interesting frag out there.

Definitely sample at least a half dozen things to get a more rounded out idea of what's out there.

Given your age you could get away with something very simple but classy. I'm not a shill for Caron but I'm starting to feel like it with the number of times I've been touting this frag: Pour un Homme de Caron. Very simple lavender and vanilla drydown, has a fresh vibe despite the vanilla because there's a genuine greenness to the lavender. And it's the same price as CW.

If that's not your thing, Eternity by Calvin Klein is a good one. Also very fresh, great college scent. But the Caron would really set you leagues ahead of your peers and garner praise from the ladies.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I beg to differ. Lavender is not exactly easy to appreciate particularly for the younger girls. The Caron would present a rather risky option IMO. Since it is your first fragrance that you hope girls your age would like, I suggest you round up your sister/cousin or female friends and go fragrance shopping. You are likely to end up with the latest though, and not necessarily the best. But if you are comfortable in your own skin and don't give a damn about what others think of your fragrance, then go the sampling route and pick the one you love best!

Basenotes Institution

CLEAN Men - I think this will drive the girls wild. It's very nice. it is slightly over the price you were thinking of but honestly this is wild stuff. Girl speaking here...........
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 27th May 2010 at 06:53 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dependent

Hi and Welcome!

When you're out sampling, do try some Bvlgari Pour Homme - peppery darjeeling tea. Or if you prefer more freshness to it, then Bvlgari Extreme for added grapefruit. Of course, you may also like to try the pretty popular L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme - it's a little sharp to the nose, but popular for a reason. Acqua di Gio Pour Homme is probably a good and safe bet for what you are seeking (smelling nice for the girls). Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme if you'd like a briny oceanic kind of aquatic - this is one of the most highly regarded amongst aquatic fans. Kenzo also seems to put out some really decent fresh/aquatic scents. L'Eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme and Kenzo Pour Homme are not bad.

Hope this helps, and you find what you're looking for.

Are you about to go into college? Actually, that's somewhat of a moot question - if you want something for your age range that will really attract women, I'd suggest either Armani Code or D&G's The One

The former will be slightly more common (its a huge seller, but still a unique scent), while you won't find the latter much among your peers. Code is somewhat "mysterious" and intriguing while The One is alluring and enticing.

If I were you, I'd go for Code. It's probably best for meeting new people and making a great impression on them - The One is more for someone you're already familiar with that you'd like to smell more appealing to.

went with aqua di gio... was between that and versace eau fraiche

good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by toujane View Post
    good buy?
    What do the girls say? :P

No, really. If you like it, it’s a good buy. I thinks it’s better than Cool Water which to me smells dated – but that’s just me.

Yes... if you're trying to smell like everyone else

went with aqua di gio... was between that and versace eau fraiche

good buy?

alright what do u guys mean everyone else...

does literally 60 percent of the college population wear Aqua di gio?

I seriously hardly ever smell it on guys my age. It's either a really strong musky/wood scent, or AXE

Dependent

Acqua Di Gio IS a good buy, considering the fact that not many people around you wear it, as you imply.

alright what do u guys mean everyone else...

does literally 60 percent of the college population wear Aqua di gio?

I seriously hardly ever smell it on guys my age. It's either a really strong musky/wood scent, or AXE
    You're right, I think it was a lot more popular about 6-10 years ago. The market has since reestablished some equilibrium. Still, many will probably be able to recognize it...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It smells good.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th May 2010 at 04:21 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Good goin' on getting the ADG! You'll thank me later.

I'd like to add that it is one of the few fragrances which doesn't seem to produce "nose fatigue" in me; where a person becomes so accustomed to a smell, that the ability to detect it or certain notes is lessened, or cannot smell any of it.

Again, it really will adapt to nearly any situation you may find yourself in with two notable exceptions 1.) hunting/fishing scent-averse wildlife 2.) repelling bugs/insects etc. (not implying that it attracts bugs either). That "bang for buck" is money well spent. In fact, if I had to chose one fragrance to take on the hypothetical "desert island" and ONLY one (but an everlasting supply), ADG is the first to come to mind.

I highly reccomend Cool Water. It has been a top seller since 1988 for a very good reason: it smells good and girls like it. I've only recently started wearing it, and it has become one of my favorites.

Starting out, you can't go wrong with Gendarme. Females have described it to me as the scent of clean boy. Or try Thierry Mugler Cologne. You can wear these anytime, day or night, to school or the gym or the movies. I would recommend starting with these because they don't really smell "cologne-y" or "perfume-y" and so you won't smell like you are trying too hard.