Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default >----------------------------------Patchouli Club----------------------------------<

I'm in love with this note in scents. Probably because, as a note itself, it offers so many different facets in terms of the depth, powdery nature and it's unique earth like texture.

Here are some of the scents that i've either sampled or own that i'd recommend anyone interested in this accord to try..

L'Artisan Parfumer Patchouli Patch - Soft, Silk like patch with trademark smell of fine, light brown mud. vanilla provides hint of sweetness which adds to the powdery aura of this gem.

Ulrich Lang Nightscape - Oh what a dream...if there ever is a poetry describing Patchouli, then it has to be this beautiful release from the house of Ulrich Lang. We get to experience a multifaceted scent..almost like a hologram. The unique aspect of this scent is it's skillful blending with white florals. which makes it all the more interesting, in that, this scent still manages to be a Patch prominent scent. lovely!

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 - Niche version of A*Men. Cocoa dusted over Patch. Chocolate accord is perfectly complimented with Patch. a very unique blend, in that, neither of them overpower each other.

Parfumerie Generale Intrgrant Patchouli - I guess this is what they refer to as a "hippie" version when it comes to patch. It's raw, gritty patch...almost smells like being in a tobacco shop. it carries a menthol like coolness which is another charateristic of patch based scents.

Givenchy Gentleman - Probably the "only" designer release which contains Patchouli in such high concentration and purity. A seminal release which is next to none.

Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli - Just cant get enough of this one. This is my go to scent for evenings. A scent which i wear to create an air of mystery, and it does! It;s said to combine rose with patchouli...but i dont think it;s rosy. floral? definitely yes. something like black rose if theres such a thing. This is one of those rare patch based scent that doesnt come across as muddy/earth like..it's much darker.. it's probably the smell of mud in a dark forest...creepy huh..yeh it is. again, as with all HdP releases, it has a sublime drydown of patch and vanilla. simply divine.

Chanel Coromandel - This one, i somehow feel is a lighter version of HdP Noir Patchouli. for all we know, Noir Patchouli would've been inspired by this release. Coromandel is much more on the floral side yet, the use of Patch is distinct and adds the characteristic coolness in begining and earthiness towards base. It's stylish and suave

What are your recommendations?
    Last edited by jenson; 26th May 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: >----------------------------------Patchouli Club----------------------------------<

Givenchy Gentleman
    Giorgio for Men
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    HdP Noir Patchouli
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: >----------------------------------Patchouli Club----------------------------------<

ohh how did i missed Givechy Gentlemen and HdP Noir Patchouli both of which i own let me quickly re-edit my posts
    Last edited by jenson; 25th May 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Love, love, love Givenchy Gentleman. Lorenzo Villoresi's Patchouli is excellent but a bit stark for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis for Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Halston Z-14
    Agua Brava

Post Thanks / Like

If someone said I could just have one patchouli fragrance, it would be Comme des Garcons Luxe: Patchouli. That being said, Chanel's Coromandel comes a close second.

DeepSilence

Aramis(m)

Post Thanks / Like

Etro Patchouli is a lightish, herbal take and Parfums de Nicolai's Patchouli Homme has rose, spices and delightful green weirdness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ice*Men is probably my favorite patchouli. albeit im not exactly the most experienced person for fragrances, but out of the fragrances ive tried with patchouli, i find this one very refreshing and very...cooling? (hey it is Ice*Men!). i find it serves it purpose very well in the scent

on the topic of patchouli, ive also found myself to be allergic to patchouli upon first sniffing it. anything with a strong patchouli note will give me an aweful headache...but somehow upon 2nd wearing/trying, i find myself loving it with no adverse effects. its such a strange note to me, but its still a great, earthy addition to a fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

* pls pardon my spelling errors.. my threads are usually on the fly and i never double check...it's now apparent that my brain and my fingers - are not in sync

strollyourlobster - so nice to see you around ! you need to review least one scent that marvelled you one of these days

Sugandraja love that name bro!

Guys - excellent recommendations so far! thnx much for your time!

Neuroticheese: excelletn recommendation...i need to sample it one more time since i like A*Men.
    Last edited by jenson; 26th May 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Boucheron pour Homme
    YSL pour Homme
    Narcisco Rodriguez for Him

**UNGARO I**
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 26th May 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Post Thanks / Like

1000 by Jean Patou. Stealthy patchouli.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Heehee... conveniently, this is the next note I decided to explore after iris and I just ordered a whole bunch of samples from the perfumed court

My only personal experience with this note so far is Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli. I don't detect any patchouli note in the opening and the mid notes, but I can pick it up in the basenotes and it's just gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

A Patchouli Club? Cool, this is my kind of thread!

Mazzolari Lui is the most brutal, aggressive patchouli scent I know. The patchouli in it is heavy, gritty, and hits you like a jackhammer.

I think Mazzolari Patchouli is the best patchouli scent I've ever smelled, followed closely by Givenchy Gentleman (any formulation).

AromiErotici

Givenchy Gentlemen
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Chanel Coromandel
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouli
    Les Nereides Patchouli Antique
    Profumum Patchouly
    Micallef Patchouli
    Molinard Patchouli

All of them good and bring something different to the table.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on HdP Noir Patchouli & Gentleman Givenchy

But even as a supportive note, the multi-faceted patchouli is still awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    But even as a supportive note, the multi-faceted patchouli is still awesome.
    I definitely agree. Some of my favorite patchouli fragrances have patchouli as just one of the players, yet it can add such a unique warmth and depth to a blend that the fragrances would not be the same without it.

AromiErotici

CBIHP Patchouli Empire is a really good woody with patch playing second fiddle. It's g2g.

By Killian Straight to Heaven - Rum and patch. Boozy and rich (and expensive!).
    Polo - Nothing more needs to be said.
    A*Men - Gourmand patch.

Right now, the frags that I like the most with at least reasonably strong patchouli are Michael for Men and Messe de Minuit.

Post Thanks / Like

Mazzolari Lui & Coromandel.

I find Lui almost a personal comfort scent, I think because for a year or so in 1973 Patchouli Oil was all I wore. Lui is not shy but it's very affable.

Coromandel is a great dressed up evening number, IMO - who would have thought patchouli could go black tie so effortlessly?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread jenson. I rarely wear patchouli in summer (not sure why) but reading your thread I now have an inkling to. I tested Nightscape but I don't remember the florals being that prominent in it. Maybe I'll retest this again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: >----------------------------------Patchouli Club----------------------------------<

Another vote for the magnificent PATCHOULI HOMME ( the best IMO ) by Patricia de Nicolaï
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli Club? Sign me up please! I have let plenty of these from the list above lead me around by the nose over the years. Right now my favorite is Ulrich Lang Nightscape because it is light enough to still be attractive in warmer weather. Nightscape is like a whisper that becomes a memory - very ethereal.

I also am a fan of Micallef Patchouli, Patchouli Patch, Patchouli Empire and Mazzolari Patchouli. For now though Nightscape will do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys - Thanks very much for chiming in!! You know it means a lot to me.

Buzzlepuff - thank you for sharing all those wonderful samples which included Nightscape...it was probably the reason i "had" to post this thread it's such a sleeper...of all the time i have spent on BN..i somehow missed out of this one.

btw, i think it's about time i sample Mazzolari, Micallef, PdN and the rest... really sounds interesting. Any other hidden recommendations such as Nightscape...? i mean, scents which is not necessarily released as a Patchouli scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread Jenson! Patchouli is my favorite note...

My three all-time favorite fragrances are all patch-heavy:

Aramis 900: fresh, floral patchouli with an intoxicating chypre drydown
    Guerlain Heritage EDT: warm, woodsy, ambery patchouli
    Profumum Thundra: earthy, green, musky patchouli

...I really gotta try Mazzolari Lui.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Post Thanks / Like

Bois 1920 Real Patchouly and Givenchy Gentleman are my two current favorite patchoulis. Nightscape is definitely on my test list, as is Coromandel.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Bois 1920 Real Patchouly is indeed a nice one! one of those wearable Patch scents...saying so, it's cannot be tamed it;s patchouly alright!

what i like about RP is the fact that it's creamy. olfactory equivalent of patch/vanilla based cold cream
    Last edited by jenson; 26th May 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli Noir by Il Profumo is breathtaking and I believe a really original patchouli based fragrance. It remains earthy with a slightly floral/ slightly vanilla background without going along the chocolate/ cocoa route favoured by so many.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Nightscape today. Yes, it's lovely here in the heat. When I sniff my skin up close I get a nose full of florals, but very subdued far off (a bit like the florals in Sycomore). A clear, green, floral, summer patchouli. Wonderful!

MPGs George Sand, a wonderful patchouli scent.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...gs_george.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Guys - Thanks very much for chiming in!! You know it means a lot to me.

Buzzlepuff - thank you for sharing all those wonderful samples which included Nightscape...it was probably the reason i "had" to post this thread it's such a sleeper...of all the time i have spent on BN..i somehow missed out of this one.
    . . .

Hey Jen, I am happy you enjoyed Nightscape! Also am happy everything arrived just fine from halfway around the world. I need to give full credit to Kevin Guyer for pointing out Nightscape a couple months back - I had to try it from his recommendation and he definitely found a great patch fragrance in this new offering from Ulrich Lang.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 27th May 2010 at 04:52 AM.

I really like Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan......Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon is nice also.....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Kiss of the Dragon..wow. never heard of that one by Cartier..

Mike, Glad to know you liked Nightscape as well. Actually, i feel it's a kind of scent which would be liked by all...nothin unpleasant about it..

*tips hat to Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jenson;1844245]Kiss of the Dragon..wow. never heard of that one by Cartier..
    [QUOTE]

Kiss of the Dragon by Cartier is often known as "Le Baiser du Dragon", which is French for "kiss of the dragon".

Post Thanks / Like

sheesh.. my bad! thnx Shamu.. i have sampled Le Baiser du Dragon. lovely indeed! on the oriental side though..

Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite for now is Bois 1920 Real Patchouly.

Post Thanks / Like

If you love patchouli and you liked L'Instant de Guerlain ph, you owe it to yourself to seek out the 'Extreme' (EdP) version. It's the good old L'Instant you know and love, but with a big slug of patch in it (not the hippie/earthy type, but more the refined Coromandel/Borneo 'cocoa' style)

Costume National Pour homme (spicy patchouli)

I have tried just 3 patchouli based scents (I dont count A*Men, etc as patchouli based even if they have huge dose of that).

L' Artisan - Patchouli Patch - most civilized one. Not very complex. If I should describe it with two words it would be: "Soft patchouli"

Parfumerie Generale - Intrigant Patchouli - this is most complex one. There are lot of spices here. So this is the "Spicy patchouli"

Montale - Patchouli Leaves - this is most foody one. Vanilla and amber give it almost gourmand quality so for me Patchouli Leaves is "Gourmand/Foody patchouli"
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

I own Patch! It is one of my favorites. I love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Patchouli Imperial
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Micallef Patchouli

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

One more to add to this growing list is Nasomatto's Hindu Grass - earthy with a lot of oomph! One of my favorites. For the sweeter, hippie vibe, I like Patchouli Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    I'm in love with this note in scents. Probably because, as a note itself, it offers so many different facets in terms of the depth, powdery nature and it's unique earth like texture.

Here are some of the scents that i've either sampled or own that i'd recommend anyone interested in this accord to try..

L'Artisan Parfumer Patchouli Patch - Soft, Silk like patch with trademark smell of fine, light brown mud. vanilla provides hint of sweetness which adds to the powdery aura of this gem.

What are your recommendations?
    Moin,

I'm terrified to disagree. Patchouli Patch has lots of imortelle / straw flower to it - You would agree if You knew the raw oil. That is the important second component, the "patch" as to say.

Regarding a recommendation I'm a bit lost. Patchouli is so widely used, the quest for a classic frag which in contrary doesn't sport it could be more of a challenge. As ever I'm pleased to give a hint on the Etat Libre d'Orange line. May be that the Nombril Immense could come close to Your first description of the Patch-thing. I like it a lot too and thankfully own both. The Nombril has a full bodied yet bone dry woody vibe with tons of sensuality from vanilla/opoponax and whatever. In particular I'm fond of the late but nonetheless fresh camphorous drydown which is the one partner in patchouli. The dirty/oily is missing, though.

Just in the moment I grabbed the Nombril and applied - really exquisite stuff and reiterated much preferred over L'Artisans Timbuktu. It could feel a bit pretentious.

From my experience the Patch of L'Artisan is clearly (and finally) identyfied as a patchouli by most non-voluntary recipients. But due to the lift by immortelle it won't bother these. Sophistication lies in its simplicity here - just a patch.

Post Thanks / Like

Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille (Annick Goutal)

Most interesting patchouli to turn up for a year or so, EDT & EDP.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Micallef Patchouli and L'instant de Guerlain Extreme definitely

Givenchy Gentleman has a special place in my heart..i credit it with starting my fascination with fragrances and
    is also one of the first images that come in mind when i think about masculine fragrances

Givenchy Gentleman has a special place in my heart..i credit it with starting my fascination with fragrances and
    is also one of the first images that comes to mind when i think about masculine fragrances

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Thierry Mugler Ice*Men. This is an amazing icy/watery mentholated patchouli that I love to wear year round in all seasons. It's my go to energizing and refreshing fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE the way Heritage de Guerlain does patchouli in the drydown. Superb.

Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli is one of my fave notes so this thread really peaks my curiosity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    Second the vote for this one, best I've ever encountered