Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Hair loss remedies?

The time to face my worst fears has sadly arrived. A bald patch is beginning to form at the top of my head and I don't like it. Ofcourse as of now I am powerless & can't do anything but see it growing.
    However I'd love to get in control and do something about it.

So fellow basenoters, empower me. Is there anything....anything out there that you've used for a similar problem and see it work? My thrust is more on hair regrowth treatments and less on hair loss prevention as that balding area needs some new hair to cover the scalp.

Thanks guys.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hair loss remedies?

Consumer Reports recently had something to say about both hair growth products and skin creams:

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/04/06/...rinkle-serums/
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

You should approach it from 2 angles because it's far easier to prevent further hair loss than it is to regrow new hair. Once hair loss has started, it's not as though it's going to cease unless you take steps to stop it.

I recently noticed my hair starting to thin a bit, which was completely unacceptable. No bald spots, but I can see some thinness when my hair is wet. I've been really studying the subject. Lots and lots of charlatans trying to hawk expensive products, so there's a lot of plodding through bullshit before one finds the gems. However, discuss all of this with your doctor. I haven't experienced any side effects but YMMV.

It's all about impeding the conversion of Testosterone to DHT, which is the culprit for Male Pattern Baldness. This what I do -

Reducing/Preventing further hair loss:

*Didn't want to do Propecia because of the possible sexual side effects. However, it is the medically proven method of inhibiting DHT. Talk to your doctor about it.

All of these herbs are easy to find at the health food store. I take one of each of these pills every day. They're also used for treating prostate enlargement in older men.

Saw Palmetto - This is the DHT inhibitor which has been most thoroughly tested for MPB.

Beta Sitosterol - Another powerful DHT inhibitor

Pygeum Extract - Same

Stinging Nettle - Same

Encouraging New Hair Growth/Regrowth:

Nizoral Shampoo (active ingredient Ketoconazole 1% or 2%). I use this shampoo every other day. If you can find Nizoral creme, that's supposed to be even better. http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product....ment+Cream+30g

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/bo...wer&category=0

Then of course there's Minoxidil (Rogaine) which is supposed to be good for regrowing hair at the crown of the head. However, Consumer Reports found it to be mainly ineffective. YMMV.

Finally, hair loss is a slow process and turning it around is an equally slow process. Don't expect noticeable regrowth for several months.
    Last edited by adonis; 26th May 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Cut your hair really short (so, no "combovers" of any kind) and stop worrying about it.
    Jan Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    Cut your hair really short (so, no "combovers" of any kind) and stop worrying about it.
    +1

There’s Propecia which no sane being should even consider. And there’s surgery which is expensive and hurts. Most other things are voodoo.

I found that egg yolks mixed with olive oil and applied on the scalp help stop hair loss. I don't know how effective this is for men but it nourishes your hair and scalp and I don't think it could hurt. If you try it, make sure you wash it off very well or your hair will look and smell weird.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I found that egg yolks mixed with olive oil and applied on the scalp help stop hair loss. I don't know how effective this is for men but it nourishes your hair and scalp and I don't think it could hurt. If you try it, make sure you wash it off very well or your hair will look and smell weird.
    Interesting. And you can use the leftovers to start a Caesar salad, too.

I like.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    Yeah, that's what I have been doing for the past 1 year or so but it's hard to keep short hair during winters. The Melbourne wind freezes the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    +1

There’s Propecia which no sane being should even consider. And there’s surgery which is expensive and hurts. Most other things are voodoo.
    Thanks to the link posted by Kbe and also the detailed response of Adonis, I got to know about Propecia. However like you said due to its devastating side effects, I don't even want to think about it. Surgery is out of question as of now, however if I win a lotto, it'd be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I've heard about it from my mum. However I think I am past the stage where this might help and I suspect it needs to be treated medically now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If rich celebrities can't do a darn thing about balding, I'm not sure if we can do any better. Embrace the inevitable. Shave your head completely bald, or get a Justin Timberlake crew cut and see where you can go with the look. Nothing, absolutely nothing, could be worse than the 'comb-over'.

provilus but you gotta give it time.

I would say clipper / crew cut it , looks pretty sexy imo

Unfortunately I'm fairly knowledgable on this subject.

First off, don't bother with any "alternative" remidies such as suppliments or that egg yolk suggestion, you're just wasting your time and...... eggs.

Rogaine is effective to a certain degree, it won't grow all your hair back, but it will at least help maintain what you already have and even grow a little more back. Try Rogaine foam, it's much easier to use than the greasy topical solution plus it smells nice and adds a bit of hold to your hair.

Also switch to Nizoral Shampoo, I use this daily. Don't know how well it works as I've never tried it alone without other remidies.

Finally, try giving Propecia / Proscar a try, if you notice any side effects you can simply back off on the dosage or stop it all together. People seem to thing that one pill of this destroys your sex life, in my experience I have not found this to be true. I have been on it for about 10 years and only last year noticed very minimal side effects. I stopped it for a few months and relied on Rogaine and Nizoral with great success, but I have too much time and money invested in my hair so I went back on it.

The active ingredient in Propecia / Proscar is finasteride (Fin). Research has shown that Fin is effective as a hairloss treatment at as little as a .20 mg daily dose. Propecia is 1 mg and Proscar is 5 mg, but when split into four pieces makes a 1.25 mg dose. I use split Proscar 1.25 mg doses EVERY OTHER DAY instead of everyday. From what I can tell I no longer have the slight side effects of when I took it every day and my doctor even confirmed with a blood test that my hormone levels are normal. If things still bother me I suspect I can try 1.25 mg every other two days but for right now I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck with your treatment!

@ Jay D

Thanks mate for your detailed response.

Honestly speaking at this moment, I don't have the balls to actually go ahead and risk taking Propecia and/or Proscar.

Just this morning I went ahead and bought

Nizoral 2% shampoo,
    Nizoral 2% Anti-fungal cream and
    Herbal extract 60:40 mixture of Saw Palmetto & Stinging Nettle.

I might get myself some Rogaine too as apparently it does not have any known damaging side effects.

This is what I am going to start using to target the hair loss. Let's see how it goes during the next few months. Hopefully there will be some progress. If there isn't (god forbid) then Propecia/Proscar is always there.

Once again, thanks everyone for your valuable advice/suggestions.

Point Blank

What about Capsaicin? It's found in chili and I've read it's good against balding - instead of battling DHT it's promoting a hormone responsible for hair growth. However, this is not my area of expertise - Jay D, you want to weigh in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    What about Capsaicin? It's found in chili and I've read it's good against balding - instead of battling DHT it's promoting a hormone responsible for hair growth. However, this is not my area of expertise - Jay D, you want to weigh in on this?
    I've never heard of it, so that itself means it doesnt work.

But seriously, I did a little research on this stuff and didn't find many sources that confirmed how effective it is. In another forum where I sometimes visit some of the members actually tried to incorporate it within their routine but eventually gave up as it did not improve their hair and was very unpleasant to work with. Apparently besides being an ingredient in spicey foods it is also used in pepper sprays and would irritate the skin and eyes when being applied to the scalp. So in my opinion I wouldn't even bother with this stuff. Propecia/Proscar is your best bet against at least stopping hair loss and possibly gaining some of it back followed by Rogain and then Nizoral shampoo.

If you didn't worry about it, that would be your best option.
    But apparently you are not that kind of a person and I guess you wouldn't be comfortable with shaving/hat/bald+longhair etc. compromises.

Plugs+hair care

Random note about rogaine: it seems rogaine is fairly toxic to cats. I noticed this while looking for side effects since I recently started using the product myself.

Oh yea, it is also probably worth mentioning that some stores (example: Kroger) have inexpensive store-brand rogaine at like half the price. The three month supply i recently started on cost me about $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If rich celebrities can't do a darn thing about balding, I'm not sure if we can do any better. Embrace the inevitable. Shave your head completely bald, or get a Justin Timberlake crew cut and see where you can go with the look. Nothing, absolutely nothing, could be worse than the 'comb-over'.
    Diamond, you are spot-on. One of the most attractive things in a man is his acceptance of himself, baldness and all. The worst thing and the most laughable are the toupee and comb-over.

My perfume poster boy was shown in a portrait when he was forty, dashingly and timelessly handsome with that distinctive beard. It showed his breath-taking profile--and his receding hairline. That is true confidence. Nothing would be more laughable than an aging dandy insecure about baldness.

A lot has to do with aging and heredity. It's the genes and their regulation by testosterone. Oddly, the more testosterone, the more this gene is activated. Eunuchs do not often go bald.

Oddly, my cousin had a male Pomeranian dog who was going bald. His lush red fur was coming out in patches. When he was neutered, his hair grew back!

I agree, again, with Diamond. Embrace it--it's a part of your masculinity.

(Then again, male baldness is different from endocrine disorders. Low thyroid hormones can also cause hair loss and thinning.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th August 2010 at 05:20 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Rogaine could work, but be aware that its origins were as a blood pressure medication. I did try it and it lowered my BP to the point I was dizzy in the morning.

For what it's worth, my doctor advised me that it will indeed work for many men. BUT, you need to keep using it FOREVER and if you stop, you lose the hair growth you obtained and the surrounding hair can be compromised as well.

I say, just suck it up gupts.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd September 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Keratase Aminexil - this is good stuff. When I went through a traumatic time in my life ( don't ask which one ! ) , I suffered from a great deal of hair loss and THIS stuff is da bomb. ( It's hard for me to even think about it now . )

There is a daily scalp lotion you can use too. It really is the best.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Since there is no proven "remedy" the best course of action is to prevent further hair loss and to stimulate & keep the scalp healthy. The best natural way to do this is with an ingredient that is used extensively in fragrance - Bergamot.
    I use bergamot shampoo along with bergamot hair tonic and have noticed an improvement over time.

http://www.thaicraft.com/1-bergamot-...air-loss-.html

http://www.thaicraft.com/1-bergamot-...-herbs-ex.html

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Rogaine could work, but be aware that its origins were as a blood pressure medication. I did try it and it lowered my BP to the point I was dizzy in the morning.

For what it's worth, my doctor advised me that it will indeed work for many men. BUT, you need to keep using it FOREVER and if you stop, you lose the hair growth you obtained and the surrounding hair can be compromised as well.

I say, just suck it up gupts.
    I concur with Stylin on this. Anything that can have serious side effects that must be used forever can't be all that good for you. Go the natural route if you can. Otherwise, embrace the fact that this is you--baldness and all. Confidence is the sexiest thing a man cam possess.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

Oddly, my cousin had a male Pomeranian dog who was going bald. His lush red fur was coming out in patches. When he was neutered, his hair grew back!

None of the local veterinarians will talk to me concerning my request.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    None of the local veterinarians will talk to me concerning my request.
    It is one of the few medically proven methods of reducing the levels of testosterone in the bloodstream.

I heard a rumoour that bodybuilding can exacerbate baldness as it raises testosterone levels (or is this just rubbish).

Sorry for your (hair) loss though

Ho - hum

Dihydrotestosterone appears to be linked to baldness rather than testosterone in itself. Bodybuilding might actually save some hairs.

also avoid shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate.

Aside from getting enough of the following:
    protein
    vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
    biotin
    l-cysteine amino acid
    etc.

...vitamins and protein aside, current research is pointing in the direction of internal and/or topical DHT-inhibition, as well as sebum reduction, and/or sebum consistency alteration.

Testosterone is not the enemy, it's derivative dihydrotestosterone is.

DHT puts more follicles from the anagen and telegen phase into catagen phase, as well as and/or because of, increasing the production of sebum, and thickening the sebum's consistency. If you are serious about learning this stuff google the definitions and return here.

DHT is necessary for male health, but excess dht, or rather, excess conversion of Testosterone to DHT. Internal aromatase blockers that prevent DHT conversion from occuring work very well...however, some of the stronger internal dht-inhibitors have negative sexual side effects. And most inhibit the prostate type of aromatase conversion as well as the follicle type aromatase conversion.

Safe aromatase blockers for the prostate include things like Saw Palmetto extracts taken internally, but I think it's not as useful for follicle type aromatase->DHT inhibition, for example.

The safest topical dht-inhibitors for the specific aromatase conversion in the follicle are menthol and L-Limonene. D-Limonene is the one that smells like Lemons/orange peel/etc. L-Limonene smells piney/green/turpentiney, and we all know menthol smells cold and minty.

Some natural oils which contain the highest levels of dht-inhibiting menthol and l-limonene:
    Japanese Peppermint (mentha Spicata)
    Rosemary (officinalis)
    Dalmatian Sage

As for the internal anti-aromatase supplements which seem safe:
    Indole-3-carbinol extracts
    (from cruciferous vegtables like Broccoli, asparagus, red cabbage)
    D.I.M. (di-indol-methane) from the same cruciferous types.

Other things which seemingly keep hair in the telogen and anagen phases:
    Proanthocyanadin Oligomers
    (from pine bark extracts, red grapes, apple skins, red peanut skins, etc)

There is a ton more but I'mm go to sleep now.

Wow Dullah, great info. I still take Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, Stinging Nettle, and Pygeum on a daily basis. Happy to take other stuff if it's beneficial.

I mix the three oils into a base of Jojoba.

On Jojoba, 2 things:

1. It's the closest in lipid profile to healthy(thin) human sebum of any plant oil.
    2. It naturally decreases the scalps own sebum production, which is especially good for those who have DHT-induced, unhealthy(thick waxy) sebum clogging follicles and putting hairs into catagen phase early.

I'm still up, BOOOOOOO !

rogaine might work. i've heard positive review from people that use it.
    but finasteride is better. works on 2 out of 3 men. it takes half a year of taking a pill each day for results. i use this, and have noticed (so did people around me) hair actually growing back. you can get it on prescription.
    taking good care of your hair and scalp is not bad either, not smoking does as well, but is mainly gives your hair a better condition. it won't stop you from getting bald.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Best way to avoid balding: pick your parents well.

Blog Entries

Rogaine or the generic version and look into Nizoral.

The phrase "face my worst fears" is a pretty accurate way of describing this for many men. I am in a similar situation. I am almost 25, and have been losing hair towards the front of my head. The problem is that even though many men look great with extremely short hair or even completely bald, I know for a fact that I don't (has to do with how the actual head is shaped.).

Anyway, I'm going to be starting on minoxidil (which I believe is the generic for Rogaine). I also think I'm going to be starting on Finasteride. The problem is that with the generic at 5 mg, and Propecia at 1, I don't want to be taking too much, and the generic is only 5 mg, because of Propecia's patent. I'm wondering if I can maybe break it up into 5 pieces. I'm going to try these, and see how it works. I'm also going to be checking this with my doctor.

From my personal experience, fin is going to work much better than minox which I haven't had much success with. Fin on the other hand has stopped my hair lose completely and possibly reversed it to a certain degree. For years Proscar (fin at 5 mg) has been a much affordable alternative to Propecia (fin at 1 mg). Finally a generic version of fin has come out which is even less expensive than Proscar, this was a pleasant suprise to me when I placed an order with my pharmacy a few months ago and learned that a generic was now available. The supply I ordered will last me two years so essentially I'm only paying around $6 a month to keep my hair--not bad!

Now for your dosage question, the 5 mg pill of fin is typically split into four pieces. I've never heard of anybody actually being able to efficiently split it into five pieces so I wouldn't bother attempting it. Use a standard razer blade to do it, not one of those pill splitters you can by at drug stores. PM me for a more detailed explaination on how to split these pills as they're a little tricky. So now four pieces you get around a 1.25 dosage of fin. Due to the shape of the pill though, getting four exact sizes is near impossible, so don't stress if they aren't perfect because they never are.

At this point you can take the approximate 1.25 mg fin dosage daily which is perfectly fine. But remember my previous post about how studies have shown that fin is effective at stopping hair loss at dosages as low as .20 mg daily. Under my doctor's instructions, I am now taking the 1.25 mg every other day and it's working just as well as taking it daily. This helps lower the risk of any possible side effects of the drug plus doubles the length of time your prescription lasts. Good luck!

fountain

shave your head and forget about it.

No cure!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    No cure!
    A lot of people and studies disagree with that.

Thanks so much for the advice, Jay. I'm going to go with the generic, and split them up. It's pretty silly that Propecia's patent of having their pills at 1 mg is actually hurting them in the end, with more people saving money and getting the 5 mg generic, and splitting it up. I might actually forgo the minoxidil, though...The side effects seem to be not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post

Have they had a satisfying result those who argue?
    I think the best way to have new hair is hair transplant but that's no cure ...is a surgical technique!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Thanks so much for the advice, Jay. I'm going to go with the generic, and split them up. It's pretty silly that Propecia's patent of having their pills at 1 mg is actually hurting them in the end, with more people saving money and getting the 5 mg generic, and splitting it up. I might actually forgo the minoxidil, though...The side effects seem to be not that great.
    I've only used actual Propecia for a few months before I discovered Proscar. I was very relieved as paying for a Propecia prescription every month was getting pretty spendy. I wouldn't get so hung up on the 1 mg versus 5 mg deal, guys like me have been spliting Proscar for years with some very satisfying results. Even though they say you should start noticing regrowth in about six or so months, you'll notice a stop in hair shedding very quickly.

Minox is something that has never really worked that great for me. It burns and caused my scalp to become red and inflamed, plus its oily which makes hair appear even thinner. Rogaine foam is a huge improvement but it will irritate my scalp as well if I don't use Nizoral shampoo daily. When I first started noticing my hair was thinning out, Minox was the very first remidy that I tried. I would apply it to my hair line where it was starting to thin and I would rub any excess solution on parts of my chin where my facial hair grew in patchy. It only grew peach fuzz on my hair line which was not very satisfiying but believe it or not it actually filled in my facial hair!

Going with fin is by far the best way to go to combat hair loss, the sooner you start it the better it works.

Alright guys, I have a VERY good update:

I have been on Finasteride (generic Propecia) for about 6-8 weeks. My hair loss/shedding has completely stopped. When my hair was really shedding, I would dread shampooing and conditioning my hair, because the amount of hair that I would lose was so substantial. Don't get that anymore.

Not only that, but I think that I might have re-grown a little bit of hair back. The hair loss in the front (which was my problem) is much less noticeable. On top of that, taking Finasteride makes it extremely affordable. Since you split it up into four, the entire cost of a years worth of medication is only around $100-125. I'm not doing anything other than taking Finasteride, and that's whats giving me results. I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Alright guys, I have a VERY good update:

I have been on Finasteride (generic Propecia) for about 6-8 weeks. My hair loss/shedding has completely stopped. When my hair was really shedding, I would dread shampooing and conditioning my hair, because the amount of hair that I would lose was so substantial. Don't get that anymore.

Not only that, but I think that I might have re-grown a little bit of hair back. The hair loss in the front (which was my problem) is much less noticeable. On top of that, taking Finasteride makes it extremely affordable. Since you split it up into four, the entire cost of a years worth of medication is only around $100-125. I'm not doing anything other than taking Finasteride, and that's whats giving me results. I'll try to keep everyone updated.
    Good on ya.........but I've read about some dreadful side effects that come with the consumption of Finasteride. Have you been lucky not to experience any of those?

I'm 20 years old and I noticed hair loss when I turned 19. Tried Rogaine but not with satisfying result. It doesnt work on everyone you know. At first I was completely devastated but at the end of the day it's just hair. Hair loss is genetic so I dont give a shit. I feel confident that girls will think of me as attractive anyways. That's the first step. You gotta have that approach to it. After that, take care of your health. Work out and take care of your body. I work out 5 times a week. Eat healthy food. I skip fast food, have stopped eating snacks. Be outdoors alot which will have a good effect on your skin. Dress good and hold your head high. The point is to make a good general impression!

Im not trying to make light, but I'm also experiencing hair thinning and a high receding hairline.
    So this past weekend I took to it with the clippers and bought it down to an all-over No.6.

Problem solved!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Gentlemen, may I just say many women do not care at all if a man is balding. (I didn't.) It's all about who you are, not your hair.

Male pattern baldness is so common! I say, embrace it. Find a hair style that looks and feels good and you don't mind maintaining, and "let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Good on ya.........but I've read about some dreadful side effects that come with the consumption of Finasteride. Have you been lucky not to experience any of those?
    Yeah, sexual side effects. I get none.

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    I'm 20 years old and I noticed hair loss when I turned 19. Tried Rogaine but not with satisfying result. It doesnt work on everyone you know. At first I was completely devastated but at the end of the day it's just hair. Hair loss is genetic so I dont give a shit. I feel confident that girls will think of me as attractive anyways. That's the first step. You gotta have that approach to it. After that, take care of your health. Work out and take care of your body. I work out 5 times a week. Eat healthy food. I skip fast food, have stopped eating snacks. Be outdoors alot which will have a good effect on your skin. Dress good and hold your head high. The point is to make a good general impression!
    Never tried Rogaine. I heard that some people have grown hair on their back and other weird places, as well as some other bad side effects. Give Finesteride (generic Propecia) a shot. Forget all the herbs and vitamins and magic potions. It's pretty much the only thing that has been proven in clinical trials, and so that's why I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
    The active ingredient in Propecia / Proscar is finasteride (Fin). Research has shown that Fin is effective as a hairloss treatment at as little as a .20 mg daily dose. Propecia is 1 mg and Proscar is 5 mg, but when split into four pieces makes a 1.25 mg dose. I use split Proscar 1.25 mg doses EVERY OTHER DAY instead of everyday. From what I can tell I no longer have the slight side effects of when I took it every day and my doctor even confirmed with a blood test that my hormone levels are normal. If things still bother me I suspect I can try 1.25 mg every other two days but for right now I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck with your treatment!
    My co-worker follows almost the exact same regiment and his hair has grown back very well! He claims no side effects either.

Anyone here use Nioxin treatments packages? My hair is still good, but I want to start using something like this as a proactive solution as I do use product in my hair.

Hey everyone, I just joined to buy something in the for sale thread, but found this thread looking around.
    I just turned 32 and am seeing a reduction in my hairline and thinning on top. I'm not surprised considering my dad's head has looked like Tony Kornheiser for a long time. I noticed that my hairline looked like it was going back over the summer, so now it kinda looks like Joel McHale's. I guess luckily I moved in Sep and my new apt. has really bright lights over the mirror and I noticed it looked like my hair was also thinning on top, although I wasn't sure if it was just the lighting at first. I kept an eye on my hair over the last 3 months and am 100% certain its starting to go. I'm currently calling around to dermatologist to get an appointment ASAP.
    I've been looking around online over the past couple weeks and pretty much found that most who were successful at keeping/re-growing hair used the following:
    Nizoral shampoo
    Minoxidil, I guess Rogaine is preferred because its a foam and doesn't run down your head? Also just heard of something called Dercos by Vichy Labs, will have to look into that.
    Proscar, and many suggested cutting into 1/3 or 1/4 for use, didn't find one person complain about noticeable side-effects using this way
    The only downside seems to be some people will have noticeable shedding for up to 3 months (due to hair growth cycle, it seems) and tend to quit before the treatment has a chance to really work.

There also seems to be a lot of people on hair-loss message boards who just want to promote a product instead of give useful advice (some may be actual Dr. promoting their treatment). So take advice with a grain of salt. What I posted above seems to be the consensus for what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    No cure!
    this one
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I've personally had pretty good results with minoxidil (Rogaine). It isn't a miracle cure, but people keep telling me it looks like it is working (barber, parents, multiple friends) and I can see results too.

Yea, you can't quit using it or you will lose the hair you regrew. But, it is cheap (I get a store brand for $25 for a 3-month supply) and all you have to do is squeeze a dropper of the stuff on your head a couple times a day. I do it when getting ready for bed and when I brush my teeth in the morning. I probably use it 10 times a week or so (out of an intended 2x a day) and the missed applications don't seem to be hurting progress much. Been using it for around a year. I'm 26.

$20-25 for a 3-month supply isn't bad.

I'm going to look into it.

I'm also going to start wearing hats.

Hair loss mumbo jumbo , no meds are going to work . Just accept yous a baldy and wear hats like the rest of us ......

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Rogaine seems to work only on restoring the hair on the crown (top back) of the head and does not help restore male pattern baldness at the frontal areas or thinning hair elsewhere than the top back crown. Also, it doesn't work on every male and must be continued indefinitely or any restored hair will soon bite the dust. Better than nothing I guess.

I want to give the Finasteride treatment a try. Do you need a prescription, if not where is a reliable site to order it from? thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by somejoe13f View Post
    I want to give the Finasteride treatment a try. Do you need a prescription, if not where is a reliable site to order it from? thanks in advance.
    Better if you met with your doctor to discuss the potential side effects and interactions with other medicines. It is a blood pressure drug, after all. Finasteride is the generic version of Propecia and must be split into pieces in order to be the same dosage. Just tell your doc you want Finasteride instead of Propecia, it'll be much cheaper and you won't have to go to some gray area pharmacy to order it from.

Quote Originally Posted by pour_monsieur View Post
    hair loss mumbo jumbo , no meds are going to work . Just accept yous a baldy and wear hats like the rest of us ......
    lol!

Cool Re: Hair loss remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Gentlemen, may I just say many women do not care at all if a man is balding. (I didn't.) It's all about who you are, not your hair.

Male pattern baldness is so common! I say, embrace it. Find a hair style that looks and feels good and you don't mind maintaining, and "let it be."

I agree. I can't tell you how many women I know that have the hots for for John Malkovich and Jean-Luc Piccard! By comparison Leonardo di Caprio should hang his head in shame with his androgynous good looks. Bah! He's merely a turn on for 13 year old girls and inmates at Folsom Prison named Bubba.

Having said that, I have a bald spot growing in the back of my head which frankly is not the most attractive style of male pattern baldness.

Consequently I just might try some of Dullah's Japanese peppermint with Jojoba oil and whatnot. If it doesn't work I could always convert to Judaism and wear a yamaka. Or brush upon my High School French and sport a beret, nest-ce pas?

BTW due to the high concentration of protein, eggs make hair shine like a halo. Not a damn thing for baldness but if you want thickness and body you'll be amazed with the results. Just be sure to leave it on while you shower then use a good shampoo thoroughly to wash it all off so you won't smell like a walking chicken farm.

Your bathroom will, but it's a small price to pay for beauty and besides, you'll now have a good excuse to spray all those mediocre 3 star scents you bought blind or any frags you've tired of-- as deodorizers.

Always happy to be part of the solution and a proud member of the lunatic/narcissistic fringe.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 24th August 2011 at 06:48 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Sound Scents

The only one that has ever worked for me was a natural product called Curetage that for full disclosure my company sells (though we are not the manufacturer). Not trying to make a sale here or anything, but speaking as someone who is near completely bald, I tried the usual suspects over the years like Rogaine and many other natural hair loss products and none of them did anything for me. Then when my company was considering Curetage, I got my hands on a free sample set from the small mom and pop type manufacturer to try out (it is actually a kit of 5 items) and while going in skeptical, it actually did noticeably work after monitoring it for a few months.

That said, it is not inexpensive, and it is a lot of work to use it every day for the rest of your life. In the end, when I ran out of the free kit, I did not put up the money for a replacement kit (about $80 retail if I remember correctly). I guess I just came to terms that it was easier to accept me being bald instead of the constant hassle of using the kit forever for a moderate improvement. Still, for anyone who is determined, this one is definitely worth a try if you can find it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)