Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hair loss remedies?

Nizoral (suppresses androgens locally on the scalp)
    Minoxidil (topically applied - rogaine / regaine etc)

Only two things for which I have found sufficient evidence to justify paying for.

As I'm nowhere close to balding, I use Nizoral daily but don't bother with the Minoxidil.

Edit: Give it some serious thought before you begin using systemic substances like Finasteride to screw with your hormones for cosmetic reasons. As a former sufferer of prostatitis in touch with other sufferers I know Finasteride to cause some quite serious side effects in some. If you're unlucky it could be the end of your sex life and a considerable drain on your energy. That said you may experience no sides at all - but if Finasteride gives pause to those who would use it to avoid constant pelvic pain - think twice before using it for something cosmetic.

My vote is for local, topical intervention. Hormones effect too many other things to screw with for the sake of saving some hair.

I started to go bald within the past year. I suppose I actually could have before that, but maybe I hadn't noticed. I was petrified. We went to Wal-Mart the next day. I saw Rogaine, felt nervous and wanted to make sure no one saw me buying it. I ended up getting the Wal-Mart brand because I didn't wanna spend too much money. I got home, read the pamphlet, and never ended up using it. I realized that I would have more shame buying stuff like that than just going bald. I still feel uneasy about it, mainly because of uncertainty. Well that, and I've always had issues with anxiety, so it could just be another thing to be anxious about.

Having said all of that, I think it will suit me quite well. I've always been more mature than my peers. In my Digital Design & Typography course, we were given an assignment to create a type foundry and sell four typefaces. The people around me opted for circus fonts, Halloween fonts, Christmas fonts, as well as other tasteless choices. They're all rather ugly and kitschy. What is my concept? Typefaces of the 18th Century. It all makes sense.

Oh, and I intend on cutting it short, like Yannick Angelloz.

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 22nd November 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

If a man is losing his hair due to hormones or heredity, I would say for him to embrace it. He's got testosterone and that's why he's bald.

Using hormones for the sake of vanity is plain silly. Cur your hair short or shave the scalp. Nothing sillier than a swirl of comb-over or a rug.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

A little digression is ok I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    In my Digital Design & Typography course, we were given an assignment to create a type foundry and sell four typefaces. The people around me opted for circus fonts, Halloween fonts, Christmas fonts, as well as other tasteless choices. They're all rather ugly and kitschy. What is my concept? Typefaces of the 18th Century. It all makes sense.
    In my experience their choice is largely because they think caricatures are easier to pull of and they can claim "that was intentional" when it's just lazywork. When someone says they want to break the rules, they should know why the rules are there in the first place. You did good.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    In my experience their choice is largely because they think caricatures are easier to pull of and they can claim "that was intentional" when it's just lazywork. When someone says they want to break the rules, they should know why the rules are there in the first place. You did good.
    That makes sense! Thank you!

And yeah, sorry for the slight digression I'd made. It's that damned ADHD.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I use Kirkland Minoxidil (generic rogaine) from Costco. It cost $36 per year and it works for me. I used it for 1 year and thought to myself that it didn't do anything. I then stopped for 6 months and noticed my hair was looking thinner. I even had several people comment about it. I now have been on Minoxidil for 4 months and my hair is noticeably thicker.

It won't work for everyone. You have to be consistent with it. Once you stop using it you will lose anything you've gained. Also you have to have realistic expectations. At first I was hoping for thick hair which never happened. I never had thick hair even as a kid. My hair has always been straight, flat, and thin.

Bald like a man. A side effect of fin is gynecomastia. Id much rather be bald than have a pair of moobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I concur with Stylin on this. Anything that can have serious side effects that must be used forever can't be all that good for you. Go the natural route if you can. Otherwise, embrace the fact that this is you--baldness and all. Confidence is the sexiest thing a man cam possess.
    Word! One of my best friends is fairly short, underweight, dresses a little too casually, doesn't have the 'best' looking teeth nor/and doesn't do anything special at all to his appearance (doesn't even wear fragrances. OK, he might wear Axe or some cheap crap)... but he has no problem with confidence. He can walk into a room full of people and command it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. I'm pretty good with confidence, but he's on a whole other level with self-assurance, body language and confidence. He's not even arrogant about it (good, cool dude). I need to take some lessons.

Oh, and by the way, the guy is bald.

I know my post didn't detail anything about hair loss, but it's just something I wanted to add as a personal anecdote from my life.

I have hair, thick hair actually, and I don't have any problem growing it (FOR NOW... knock on wood) as it grows back quickly whenever I get a haircut. My thing is that I have very visible gray hair, which is no issue at all, really.

Maintain your personal strengths, and question what your weaknesses really are: is it truly hair loss or is it insecurity over hair loss? Strengthen weaknesses, my friends.

The only thing that is shown to work somewhat is Propecia, and even that only slows loss.

Don't waste your time. Make an appointment with a hair transplant surgeon and get it done (find them in the Yellow pages, or ring up the AMA for their list). Most surgeons would spot whether you have classical balding pattern requiring a transplant, or if something odd is happening and some other treatment may be more appropriate.

The best time to have a transplant is before the hair has fallen out, not after it has. Again, surgeons will give you a good estimate of when it will likely fall out.

One well known firm that advertises on TV (which you will no doubt have seen) has lots of mysterous potions and treatments it uses on it's customers (all expensive of course), then after those tretaments all fail, they then refer the customers to a transplant surgeon and get a 15% spotters fee.

Regards,
    Renato

if you're self conscious get to the gym, change your look. stand straight and keep your head up.. thats better than any drug.

If a man is losing his hair due to hormones or heredity, I would say for him to embrace it. He's got testosterone and that's why he's bald.
    Mm! I agree, Primrose! As a woman, if I were losing my hair, that'd be another matter. But, honestly, I think Patrick Stewart is far cuter than . . . oh, I'm even blanking on his name. The other captain.

And Yul Brynner, and Chris Daughtry. . . I drool over him. And I'm married.

And Vin Diesel. The list goes on. And now I'm thoroughly distracted. Thanks a lot, Primrose!
    Last edited by Aiona; 29th December 2011 at 05:49 AM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I forgot to include Michael Symon. . . . I drool over his cooking, too.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    The time to face my worst fears has sadly arrived. A bald patch is beginning to form at the top of my head and I don't like it. Ofcourse as of now I am powerless & can't do anything but see it growing.
    However I'd love to get in control and do something about it.

So fellow basenoters, empower me. Is there anything....anything out there that you've used for a similar problem and see it work? My thrust is more on hair regrowth treatments and less on hair loss prevention as that balding area needs some new hair to cover the scalp.

Thanks guys.
    hair transplant india
    I will tell you only about the treatment for hair loss or hair resotre. The advanced and safe treatment for hair restoration is Hair Transplant surgery. Hair transplant is surgical treatment in which they harvest hair from normally the back section (donor area) of your head, that is where most people have lots more hair at an placed the hair follicle on the bald area of head. Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique of hair restoration moving individual hair follicles from one part of the body to the balding sites its commonly used to treat baldness in both men ad women.
    Last edited by jacob19; 19th December 2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: missing

Using hormones for the sake of vanity is plain silly. Cur your hair short or shave the scalp. Nothing sillier than a swirl of comb-over or a rug.
    +1

Don't waste money on expensive products just to keep your hair a while longer, they're not worth it.
    Don't try to camouflage the fact that you are losing your hair - the way some men comb their hair over bald patches I find frankly pathetic.
    Accept that your body is changing.

About 15 years ago I stopped going to the hairdressers, I bought a hair trimmer, and since then I've been keeping it short at 2-4mm depending on the season. It's fantastic, no more hairblowers, I use very little shampoo, and my hair dries in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Don't waste your time. Make an appointment with a hair transplant surgeon and get it done
    A waste of money. I saw enought pictures of this, it doesn't look real. Really.

I've got a few friends who have had a transplant, it doesn't look that bad. Of course it's still thin in places but they keep it short and the hairline is appropriate to their age. Apparently Turkey is the place to get it done.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by decraew View Post

- - - Updated - - -

A waste of money. I saw enought pictures of this, it doesn't look real. Really.
    The finished product depends very much on the skill and artistry of the doctor in plan and execution. I have seen transplant cases where the outcome was terrible or so-so and some so well done they were indistinguishable from natural full head hair.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Well said!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

As the Ladies have said, It's all about Masculine Confidence.

Carry on smelling nice....

Get a Crew Cut...

Get into the Gym. Squat Heavy. Bench Heavy. Deadlift Heavy.

Enjoy the New Version of You.

First go see a dermatologist they will help you figure out if it is male pattern baldness or just stress related. Also tell the doctor if you are on any meds which can sometimes cause drug induced hair loss. Hair loss caused by surgery, stress and drugs usually grow back on their own once the stress is gone or you go off the meds. You can also request for a scalp biopsey, and they can figure out even more. High doses of biotin help some people with hair loss.