Code of Conduct

Lightbulb What are some of your hidden gems?

In fragrances of course. They may not be so hidden on Basenotes, since many of us speak so frequently of them. So, I'm gonna dig down deep and pull out some of my favorite treasures.

For me, when I find a good gourmand, I keep it to myself.. A lot of them tend to smell the same. Then Samba Kiss Me came along and changed my world. To my nose it smells like a crusty lemon meringue pie, sprinkled with spices and baked to perfection.

Then there's Cigar by Remy Latour. Starts off quite sharp, but quickly turns into a very well done Cuban cigar-like aroma, stays on the skin for a while and projects nicely. Spicy yet quite sweet (like a dark sweet) and reminiscent of Cuba Red, but not as harsh. Cuba Red is extremely spicy and hard for me to wear.

Thallium which I was so excited about that I posted a review on the MD forums. It's gourmand.. NO! It's fruity! No wait.. It's green! No it's Citrusy, I promise!! Whatever genre it's in, it's good. If you don't like synthetic smells, then keep away from this. This is an example of when synthetic smelling fragrances take a turn for the best. To my nose it smells exactly like a perfect 50/50 combination of Joop! (thought much lighter in projection and power) and Rochas Man. I guess fruity gourmand would be an appropriate classification.

All 3 of these are some of my personal hidden gems. A hidden gem is fragrance you can wear in front of a Basenoter, and they will have no idea what it is.

I have a few more, but those are top secret! JK, I just don't feel like doing anymore mini reviews now. Keep this thread going and list yours!!

Default Re: What are some of your hidden gems?

Definitely a hidden gem for me is Caesar's Man. This el-cheapo TJMaxx mainstay has been overlooked and scoffed at by so many people, probably due to its low price and stupid name and packaging. I love this frag! It's basically a cross between Drakkar Noir and Gucci Nobile. I think it's a pretty complex scent and well constructed, and most importantly it smells great. My only criticism is that it is not at all original - it practically rips off Drakkar and Nobile.
    Last edited by shamu1; 26th May 2010 at 02:36 AM.

I got this bottle of Ted Baker Endurance off ebay once. I think this one does the ginger thing really well!

Off-Scenter

L'Eau de Ryokuei and Ocean Rain.

AromiErotici

Mediterraneum by Proteo ( Versace) is an excellent frag. So is Carven Homme and both can be had for under $45.

Coty Gravity
    Last edited by rioni; 26th May 2010 at 03:25 AM.

I really like Rochas Lui. I don't about hidden but this is defiantly a gem.
    Starts out harsh but the drydown is a very smooth cedar, neroli and vanilla.
    Bright, fresh and warm.
    Last edited by weylin; 26th May 2010 at 03:53 AM.

Blog Entries

I agree that Rochas Lui deserves more press.

My hidden gems include:

Quiksilver - marine eucalyptus with a very creamy and promiment Australian sandalwood - $16.99 at Marshall's.

C.O. Bigelow White - beautiful citrus cologne which rivals some of the best French juice - for $10.00 a bottle.

Tiffany For Men Sport Cologne - funny how the last 2 words counteract the first 3 - but this deserves equal respect, IMO.

Chanel no. 5 Eau Première - this is a true classic, and would deserve top honors even if old no. 5 had never existed.

Axe Dark Temptations - Yeah, it's the propellant-spray frag on TV featuring the chocolate guy with chicks grabbing him. Well, this is one heck of a great gourmand, with balance, complexity, development, and perfect sillage. Easily matches some very pricey stuff. If you ever lusted after Pure Coffee or Pure Malt, you cannot go wrong with this, and you need it in your wardrobe.

LOL, I just bought Dark Temptation today, it smells so good. It was on sale for 3.99 @ CVS. One Time i got it on sale for 75 cents, but that was quite the find. It's worth 4 bucks to me. I wish there was an EDT that smelled identical and lasted longer.

In terms of frags that don't get much attention here and are also on their way out, if not already discontinued:

FUBU Plush for Men
    Acteur by Azzaro
    Moods Uomo by Krizia
    Listen for men by Herb Alpert (I think it was also marketed as a Sharper Image frag)
    Cumming the Fragrance (possibly the best "masculine" in many years, in terms of its uniqueness)

For me, my hidden gem is Monsieur Balmain. I imagine that most basenoters would recognize it, but as far as cheapies go, this is my favorite, and not often mentioned here actually.

Caron's Pour Un Homme. Inexpensive and easy to find.

Great to wear when you want more vanilla than Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur can give. A soft floral comes after a blast of lavender, settling into the smooth gently sweet vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Derrick by Orlane

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Angel Schlesser Homme Oriental Edition - Arabian wood with an absynthe blast as an intro.

Aramis Ice - Lovely woody frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Ted Baker Skinwear! This is magical in the heat. Absolutely magical.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Francesco Smalto PH - now discontinued, but still available quite accessibly, smooth leathery-tobacco powerhouse

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood - another affordable fragrance, Old-school British distinction with a refined touch of spiciness

Horizon by Guy Laroche - herbal-aquatic, without today's generic ozonic-watery style

Fahrenheit 32 by Dior - although nothing in common with the initial Fahrenheit, still a refined "white floral" for men

Black Suede Touch by Avon - another underrated "budget frag" with a modern, more gourmand interpretation of leatheriness

Out of my collection I would say it would have to be 21 by Costume National. The reviews on it may be good on this site but I don't see much mention about it in topics. This one was a blind buy for me and I feel like I have found a fragrance that I will hold on until I run out.
    Last edited by Ronin; 26th May 2010 at 01:29 PM.

Aramis Bermuda Tonic - totally unique in the frag world

ALL of the late and much lamented Gillette splash colognes (I'm sadly now completely out and some of them are now only available in AS form, but I had to include them here) - they were punching WAY above their weight-class

Bowling Green - I think this even trumps Grey Flannel

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    L'Eau de Ryokuei and Ocean Rain.
    You and that L'eau de Ryokuei! Every time you bring it up, I feel sick that I can't find it anywhere.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

For me it's got to be Dunhill (2003). I've never even looked at a note pyramid for it and I'm not near edumucated enough to pick out the notes, but it's brilliant! I'm pretty sure there's a tobacco note (go figure), but other than that I couldn't say. It's GORGEOUS!!!

Vertical Limit
    Caliber 12
    Niagara

Deauville Pour Homme by Michel Germain
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Several of the fragrances listed above are on my list, including Cigar and Deauville. I'll add (all men's scents) Intimately Beckham, That Man, Carrington, Gravel and Agua Lavanda Puig because they all surprised me.

Cool Re: What are some of your hidden gems?

Kolnisch Juchten, Gai Mattiolo Uomo, Iskander and Le Roy Soleil Homme

Drats and Curses! I'm out of all of them!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 27th May 2010 at 06:55 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Vetiver Adolfo Dominguez - jasmine+vetiver
    Vetiver Wilde by first enterprise of Mandy Aftel - anis+dry vetiver
    Moment Supreme Jean Patou - lavender+ylang
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Agree with the Cumming suggestion. It's really ahead of its time. I think it will be more favored as a gentlemen's scent years from now. Other hidden gems of mine include S-eX by S-Perfume and Soir d'Orient, which is the best thing MPG has done.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Vetiver Adolfo Dominguez - jasmine+vetiver
    Vetiver Wilde by first enterprise of Mandy Aftel - anis+dry vetiver
    Moment Supreme Jean Patou - lavender+ylang
    Now, THIS, is a VERY hidden gem! Whoa, no info on this one anywhere. Is it still in production? Any more thoughts on it?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You and that L'eau de Ryokuei! Every time you bring it up, I feel sick that I can't find it anywhere.
    LuckyScent - costs a fortune, and you probably won't like it as much as I do...

+1 for Aramis Bermuda Tonic
    Also, something that has pretty much never been mentioned here on Basenotes: David Beckham Intense Instinct. Bares no similarites to the original Instinct and is possibly one of the most pleasant fragrances I've come across.

What of Eaux des Baux by L'Occitane? This is a wonderful and inexpensive incense and cypress. For only $40USD!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

BY MAN by Dolce & Gabbana & Nautica Competition in the blue bottle! Yes both have been discontinued which is a shame because they are both awesome scents & you wont smell everybody & there brother wearing those two either!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Baryshnikov Sport. It's very inexpensive but fantastic, a dry herbal "fresh" scent that lasts all day and smells quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    mtg, try: http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=2603

I just got mine from a local shop. Very nice light floral. I think it'd be a great pick-me-up scent. The bottle looks and feels great too.
    Last edited by zliang; 28th May 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Yves Rocher - Comme une evidence Pour Homme - dry rose, very cheap, rare, elegant and lovely.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I agree with Ken Russell. Horizon by Guy Laroche is a gem! I just received a large bottle in the mail yesterday and was reminded how nice it is.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    For me it's got to be Dunhill (2003). I've never even looked at a note pyramid for it and I'm not near edumucated enough to pick out the notes, but it's brilliant! I'm pretty sure there's a tobacco note (go figure), but other than that I couldn't say. It's GORGEOUS!!!
    1+ Dunhill (2003) , It's synthetic. but very briliant. maybe at first seems it's too simple. but i got many compliments. don't wear it on skin. you will get better result on clothes.

Bogart pour Homme, easily one of my favourite tobacco/leather fragrances. Lasts forever too.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    LuckyScent - costs a fortune, and you probably won't like it as much as I do...
    They actually don't carry it there anymore.