Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 163
  1. #1

    Default How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I know that most of us either collect or accumulate frags, but I was wondering what advice you would give a non-basenoter who asked you how many fragrances he should have in his wardrobe.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    If you want to be "normal" in your life, one or two will do...

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I think the average/normal person would need no more than 4 or 5. The reason being, I get sick of people wearing the same thing day in day out and some kind of rotation is needed................. not just for the person wearing but for the people around him in every day life.
    Last edited by The Grifter; 26th May 2010 at 07:45 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    We are not normal here. You've come to the wrong place.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I'd say that about six frags should give a well rounded and versatile wardrobe. A conservative frag for work, a more sensual frag for dates and nights out, and a fun frag for casual weekends. Multiply by 2 for warm weather and for cool weather.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,409
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Confucius said, "The first order of business is the rectification of names." Or, to put it another way, the definition of terms. So what exactly do you mean by "normal"? I would prefer not to use dictionary definitions in favor of a more Socratic discussion.

    Here's my idea of "normal": A normal person is one who goes about his life taking thought for his actions and therefore proceeding along a path which does not often lead him to contemplate what may seem normal to others. The pursuit of the good and the beautiful justifies itself without need of explanation. How do you understand καλὸς κἀγαθός? Handsome and brave, resolute and upstanding, or if you must be literal, beautiful and good. Whatever flows from this ideal is good and appropriate, measured and laudable.

    What are "how many" and "how much" to me? It is rather a question of "how good" and "how admirable."
    Last edited by JaimeB; 28th May 2010 at 06:52 AM.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  8. #8
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    View fragrance as a fashion accessory. Just as you would not wear the same outfit each day nor should your fragrance wardrobe be limited. Fragrance is a personal expression of style. Experiment with fragrance choice until you have a rotation of fragrance that befits you. Considering the seasons and formal/semiformal occasions a good wardrobe should include, IMO, two fragrances per season and two for special occasion use as a minimum.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    None. If he doesn't enjoy fragrance, why bother? It's certainly not a necessity.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Most 'normal' people have about 2-4 i guess?
    In my opinion you should have at least four: two for the summer, and two for winter.
    Current Top3:
    1. Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    2. Gucci - Pour Homme
    3. Creed - Tabarome Millesime

  11. #11

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Hmm, I would guess that the average man probably owns one, or no fragrances.

  12. #12

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    around 8

    one for dating in summer/spring, one for dating in fall/winter;

    one for clubbing in summer/spring, one for clubbing in fall/winter;

    one for the office in summer; one for the office in fall/winter;

    one for special occasions (proms, graduations, weddings etc.) spring/summer, one for fall/winter

  13. #13

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    As many or as little as he wants, I guess that no established rule exists

    There are cases when one "Holy Grail" will do as the all-purpose signature scent, while in other cases not just the owning of hundreds of frags, but also the sampling of hundreds or thousands of others more may just be an incomplete experience

  14. #14

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Whatever he wants, provided he can afford it and enjoy it.

    I would say that the typical range for non-basenoters would be 1-2, with a good number of zeros.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 26th May 2010 at 11:52 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I can't improve on what Jaime said, but I'll restate it.

    Normal means fitting into an average, a group. It means letting others determine what you do.
    I think a person should have as many fragrances as pleases him/her.
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  16. #16

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Gotcha. Hmm... We'll go with the Golden Rule: "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?"

    The world may never know, but 3 seems to do the job.

    Maybe 4-5 if he's really adventurous or digs the whole seasons/occasions argument. You could even suggest a few scents along these lines:

    1) A good all-purpose scent that everyone is wearing, 2) a casual scent [read "sport" flanker] that everyone is wearing, 3) a formal/evening/special occasion scent that everyone is wearing.

    3 inoffensive mass-market crowd-pleasers will give him just enough variety. (Did I just contradict myself?) If you know him pretty well, you could even suggest some real fragrances he might like. (You know what I mean.)

    We have to face the reality that some people out there just aren't "into" fragrances. They merely want a generic smells-good accessory, an easy spritz. Horrifying, but true. A dull and colorless life? Undoubtedly. I'm sure we could come up with plenty of epitaphs for such a sad, sad individual... but I think "Non-BaseNoter" says it best.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

    -ROTS


  17. #17
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    17,986
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    One person's normal is another's excess and a third's paucity. Isn't normal more of a very broad range rather than a strictly defined point?

    For decades as an adult I used no fragrance other than whatever was added to the soap I happened to use that day to shower or wash up. I didn't/don't consider that 'zero count' to have been at all abnormal. Now, I 'normally' apply two different frags a day, sometimes a third or even a fourth. For me, at this point, I consider that to be..(cough).. normal.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th May 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

  18. #18

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    None of the "normal" people I know have more than 3 or 4, most have 2. Which they rarely wear (I swear a friend's bottle of Hugo Boss Hugo has not dropped a millimetre in about five years).

  19. #19

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Around 5 till 10 !
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

  20. #20

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I am still trying to figure out how many fragrances an extraordinary man ought to have.

  21. #21

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    There is no such thing in life as normal.

  22. #22

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    We are not normal here. You've come to the wrong place.
    Normal is such a subjective term. This is a clearly a place for people who's intertest in fragrance is not average.

    My take on "normal" is buy Aqua di Gio for daytime and Code for night time and you're done.

  23. #23
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    My take on "normal" is buy Aqua di Gio for daytime and Code for night time and you're done.
    I would call that Hell.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  24. #24

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Confucius said, "The first order of business is the rectification of names." Or, to put it another way, the definition of terms. So what exactly do you mean by "normal"? I would prefer not to use dictionary definitions in favor of a more Socratic discussion.

    Here's my idea of "normal": A normal person is one who goes about his life taking thought for his actions and therefore proceeding along a path which does not often lead him to contemplate what may seem normal to others. The pursuit of the good and the beautiful justifies itself without need of explanation. How do you understand καλὸς κἀγαθός? Handsome and brave, resolute and upstanding, or if you must be literal, beautiful and good. Whatever flows from this ideal is good and appropriate, measured and laudable.

    What are "how many" and "how much" to me? It is rather a question of "how good" and "how admirable."
    Let's rephrase the original question. "How many fragrances should a boring man have?"

    LOL! In truth, as many as you think you need. If only one scent, then one is sufficient. Heck, my DH once dated a woman who ate nothing but Italian food day after day. (He was, I hasten to say, not impressed.)

    Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    View fragrance as a fashion accessory. Just as you would not wear the same outfit each day nor should your fragrance wardrobe be limited. Fragrance is a personal expression of style. Experiment with fragrance choice until you have a rotation of fragrance that befits you. Considering the seasons and formal/semiformal occasions a good wardrobe should include, IMO, two fragrances per season and two for special occasion use as a minimum.
    I agree, Ken, which is why I do not have a "signature" scent. Just as my clothing/shoes/jewellery are varied according to the weather, the occasion and my every-changing mood, I have many scents. Time after time, I go back to my favs...just as one reaches for a well-worn sweater.


    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Normal is such a subjective term. This is a clearly a place for people who's intertest in fragrance is not average. My take on "normal" is buy Aqua di Gio for daytime and Code for night time and you're done.
    StylinLA, yes, the "average" and "normal" fellow would only have two, and perhaps one old one in the medicine cabinet, the gift of a wife or grilfriend, which he never wears.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th May 2010 at 03:40 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  25. #25

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would call that Hell.
    I like it. "Hell" is what is normal! So heaven is...
    odysseusm

    "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

  26. #26

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    About 60-70. Some of us abnormals here have many more.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  27. #27

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    If I told you how many I have, you'd take me to a madhouse. I'm so abnormal.

  28. #28

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Normal man: 2 fragrances (usually AdG and Cool Water) and 6 Axe sprays.
    Basenoter: 20-80 fragrances (I have near 50 now) and WTF is a body spray?

  29. #29

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    If I told you how many I have, you'd take me to a madhouse. I'm so abnormal.
    Try us...
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th May 2010 at 04:42 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  30. #30

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    4-5 fragrances is ok for a normal guy in terms of not being obsessed by fragrances.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

  31. #31

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Normal -- for example my husband -- that would be zero.

  32. #32
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    The average wardrobe in the case of women would be four to five in First World Countries. I have no information in the case of men, but I'd say three as per friends of mine with incomes relative to countries mentioned.

  33. #33
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,409
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I like it. "Hell" is what is normal! So heaven is...
    "Heaven... Heaven is a place... A place where nothing... Nothing ever happens."
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  34. #34

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    "Heaven... Heaven is a place... A place where nothing... Nothing ever happens."
    Sounds really quite dull doesnt it , you'd think they would have thought up something a bit jazzier than that wouldnt you

    As for a normal person , aint no such thing ......

  35. #35

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    Around 5 till 10 !
    I did make a mistake.

    It should be above "from 1 to 10 and 3-5 frags for a suitable wardrobe".
    Last edited by sanatik; 26th May 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

  36. #36

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Between 0-1

  37. #37

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    100 for a Normal Basenoter
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

    Wardrobe

  38. #38

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    The average person, I would say about 5-7 bottles total.

  39. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I'd say that about six frags should give a well rounded and versatile wardrobe. A conservative frag for work, a more sensual frag for dates and nights out, and a fun frag for casual weekends. Multiply by 2 for warm weather and for cool weather.
    I second this motion.

    I have 7, which I consider to be pushing it, but acceptable:

    • Chanel Allure Homme - mostly for work/school in winter
    • Pour un Homme de Caron - for late winter & most of spring, and worn anywhere at anytime
    • Creed Original Vetiver - for late spring/summer, also worn anywhere at anytime
    • Yatagan - strictly for autumn, between the end of September to early December
    • Kouros - an autumn alternative, although wearable in late spring/summer
    • Grey Flannel - good year round, anywhere
    • Coco by Chanel - winter alternative to Allure Homme, better for evenings

  40. #40
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,129

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    As many as a person wants

  41. #41

    Cool Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    3.14159265 If you like vanilla-caramel orientals from Givenchy.

    However if you favor Czech, Speake, and odd roses the No. would be 88.

    ---------

    I've no idea what would be the number of wristwatches a normal man would have, but do NOT post this question at a forum for watch collectors.
    The answer might make you feel decidedly abbey-normal.

    Cheers,

    Mario
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  42. #42
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,409
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    "Heaven... Heaven is a place... A place where nothing... Nothing ever happens."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Sounds really quite dull doesnt it , you'd think they would have thought up something a bit jazzier than that wouldnt you

    As for a normal person , aint no such thing ......
    It's a song lyric... I guess you had to be there... Talking Heads "Heaven" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU

    Everyone is trying to get to the bar.
    The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven.
    The band in Heaven plays my favorite song.
    They play it once again, they play it all night long.


    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.
    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.


    There is a party, everyone is there.
    Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
    Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
    could be so exciting, and so much fun.


    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.
    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.


    When this kiss is over it will start again.
    It will not be any different, it will be exactly
    the same.
    It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
    could be so exciting, could be so much fun.

    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.
    Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 26th May 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  43. #43

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    If I told you how many I have, you'd take me to a madhouse. I'm so abnormal.
    As Primrose suggested, try us.

    (taps feet in anticipation...)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  44. #44

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    If by normal you mean statistically average, I actually have no idea.

    The only advice I'd ever give anyone who asked me how many would be... how ever many you like, want, and can afford. Whether that is 0 or 10 bazillion would be entirely up to the person.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  45. #45

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    200?

    godihopeimrightgodihopeimright
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  46. #46

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    ((LOLS jrd4t))
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  47. #47

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    for the "average guy", i would 2-3 should suffice.
    one all around scent, one for "special occasions", and one winter or summer specific cologne.

    but for anyone like us here at basenotes, 20-30+
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

  48. #48

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    I know that most of us either collect or accumulate frags, but I was wondering what advice you would give a non-basenoter who asked you how many fragrances he should have in his wardrobe.
    FAR fewer than I do . . . . unless, of course, he doesn't mind be ABnormal.

  49. #49

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    1-5

  50. #50
    DeepSilence
    Guest

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    in one time we should buy 300 fragrances. and begin to use one by one, number decreases gradually.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 27th May 2010 at 04:43 PM.

  51. #51

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I can say that *most* women that are casual scent users have five scents or less, and those are of the department store (or Victoria's Secret/Bath & Body Works) ilk, including the matching body lotion.

    I would think most men (not all, again) would be the same: bottles of Fierce, Acqua di Gio, Armani Code, Givenchy Play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    for the "average guy", i would 2-3 should suffice.
    one all around scent, one for "special occasions", and one winter or summer specific cologne.

    But for anyone like us here at Basenotes, 20-30+
    Only 20-30? Oh, I see the "+" there, LOL!
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th May 2010 at 02:15 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  52. #52

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    it really depends on you.
    Im 20 and i have 34 different ones.
    Check out stores such as Marshall and TjMaxx. they make it much easier on the pocket when it comes to collecting fragrances.

    I personally get bored with things very fast, so if i had only 8 scents i would hate them all very fast.
    The more fragrances you have, the more unique each one becomes. (you wear each one less)

    At the end it really depends on your personality and financial statues.
    If you are one of those people who go to the same restaurant all the time and order the same dish, then 4-6 would do.
    If you like to experiment with new things, then there is no limit besides the money.

  53. #53

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    I'll echo hednic and say
    only as many or as few as a person feels he needs.

  54. #54

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    19.

  55. #55

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    In my opinion one or two.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

    William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

    Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  56. #56
    Tarheel Golfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    As someone mentioned, there are no rules. But in my mind:

    0-5 = general population/casual scent users
    5-15 = fragrance enthusiast
    15-50 = hobbyist/collector
    >50 = fragrance connoisseur ("normal" Basenoter)

    For the record I think I now have about 48 unique fragrances in my wardrobe (mostly decants). I consider myself a hobbyist now. And that is just since joining BN. Pre-Basenotes I think I generally had 1-5 different frags at any given time.

  57. #57

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    it really depends on you.
    Im 20 and i have 34 different ones.
    Check out stores such as Marshall and TjMaxx. they make it much easier on the pocket when it comes to collecting fragrances.

    I personally get bored with things very fast, so if i had only 8 scents i would hate them all very fast.
    The more fragrances you have, the more unique each one becomes. (you wear each one less)

    At the end it really depends on your personality and financial statues.
    If you are one of those people who go to the same restaurant all the time and order the same dish, then 4-6 would do.
    If you like to experiment with new things, then there is no limit besides the money.
    Such wisdom, and such pragmatism, from such youth! (seriously)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  58. #58

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    As someone mentioned, there are no rules. But in my mind:

    0-5 = general population/casual scent users
    5-15 = fragrance enthusiast
    15-50 = hobbyist/collector
    >50 = fragrance connoisseur ("normal" Basenoter)

    For the record I think I now have about 48 unique fragrances in my wardrobe (mostly decants). I consider myself a hobbyist now. And that is just since joining BN. Pre-Basenotes I think I generally had 1-5 different frags at any given time.
    Nice scale system there.

    I'm a fair-to-middling Frag connoisseur on this scale with 60 give or take plus samples...

    *and frankly pre Basenotes I had (have) a predilection to essential oils and naturals, and must have about 40 left in that cache!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  59. #59

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by karlovonamesti View Post
    I second this motion.

    I have 7, which I consider to be pushing it, but acceptable:

    • Chanel Allure Homme - mostly for work/school in winter
    • Pour un Homme de Caron - for late winter & most of spring, and worn anywhere at anytime
    • Creed Original Vetiver - for late spring/summer, also worn anywhere at anytime
    • Yatagan - strictly for autumn, between the end of September to early December
    • Kouros - an autumn alternative, although wearable in late spring/summer
    • Grey Flannel - good year round, anywhere
    • Coco by Chanel - winter alternative to Allure Homme, better for evenings
    ...but a "normal" would not go into it with that much consideration.

    Having said that, neither do I - I mostly wear what I want when and wherever I want.

  60. #60

    Default Re: How Many Fragrances Should a Normal Man Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    I think the average/normal person would need no more than 4 or 5. The reason being, I get sick of people wearing the same thing day in day out and some kind of rotation is needed................. not just for the person wearing but for the people around him in every day life.
    I agree.


    I also say that we are a sick bunch...
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Similar Threads

  1. Pure oil vs normal EDT Fragrance
    By Hasupk@gmail.com in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd April 2009, 05:14 AM
  2. Is it my nose or am I normal?
    By Ms_Laine in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th December 2008, 01:36 AM
  3. Everything back to normal?
    By jrd4t in forum Community Centre Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th August 2007, 10:47 PM
  4. is it normal?
    By supermarky in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th September 2006, 01:12 PM
  5. Normal Kamali fragrances
    By scenteur7 in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th July 2005, 04:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •