Code of Conduct

Default Boxeuses - Serge Lutens

Struggling with my last bits of French I have just decided that my September buy will be this... yes, blind. Sounds like a strong, powerful entry... Has anybody found more descriptions or pre-sniff notes?
    http://hommeurbain.wordpress.com/201...-serge-lutens/

Default Re: Boxeuses - Serge Lutens

Someone who's smelled it told the board it smelled like Daim Blond redux.

I lost any interest at that point.

Interesting! Given the notes that have been published I would not expect something so "fresh" and "light", which Daim Blond certainly was for me in its first blast. I liked that phase a lot. It just turned out that I could not stand the heavy load of apricot on my skin coming in shortly after... disgusting!

Hello, i smelled it and the apricot scent (you didn't like in daim blond) is also present here. It's a leather mixt between Daim/ feminité du bois, no new notes i smelled.
    If you don't bear the apricot in Daim blond i seriously advise you to smell it before buy !

ps: sorry for my english

What a shame... next time I'll send them my list of notes...
    Thanks for your advice!

Let's wait for the wax samples in our mail boxes!
    I guess that I'll like it!
    Leather, plum and licorice are for me

Just found another article about Boxeuses (scroll down) - http://elisadefeydeau.wordpress.com/
    Maybe Mon-Petit or others could be kind enough to post the scoop of this in English here, I wonder? I think I got the idea from my little French left. Anyway, I'm still interested

I'm sorry my english is unfortunaly too bad for a correct complete traduction !

It globally talks about the leather scent of the frag, with an history recall with Chanel Cuir de Russie...

Just the few lignes who talk about Boxeuse, if this can help:

"Serge Lutens qui confesse avoir aimé enfant les odeurs de garage, où l’huile se mêle à l’essence, nous permet en 2010 de retrouver la force d’un vrai cuir dans sa vision occidentale. Loin de Cuir Mauresque, Boxeuses renoue autant avec la liberté qu’avec l’élégance androgyne. Un cuir authentique qui ne ment pas dans sa filiation avec le parfum Tabac Blond de Caron, fondateur en 1919 des parfums « Cuir », « sous famille » d’un chypre, d’un ambre ou d’un floral, par l’usage de la note bouleau « pyrogéné » c’est-à-dire distillé à chaud et associée au styrax et à l’encens, à l’essence de cade et aux épices. Des senteurs âcres et puissantes qui poussent à tous les crimes olfactifs ! "

"Serge Lutens who confess being in love for garages scents, where oil meets petrol, permit us to find in 2010 the original leather force in his occidental vision. Far away from Cuir Mauresque, Boxeuse reties with liberty and androgyn elegance. An authentic leather who doesn't hide his filiation with Tabac Blond de Caron, the 1919's first leather, a subfamily of chypre, amber and floral by the usage of a pyrogenic birch distilled (hot distillation) associated with styrax and encens...
    Bitter and puissants scents pushing to olfactory crimes !"

And note that the SL price will be increased on 1st August or September: +10 euros on the bell jars. I'll buy my stock during july !
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 16th June 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Mérci beaucoup, Mon-Petit!! I very much appreciate your effort! There is nothing wrong with your English to me as a non-native speaker Nice exercise for me and quite a relief to see that I at least still get the basics in a French text...
    Also, thanks for your note about the price increase. I heard something like that before, but actually I might re-consider the timing for my already planned bell jar order. I have read here what others think about Sarrasins, but what is your idea, Mon-Petit? How does this stand as a leather between the others from Serge Lutens? How indolic is the jasmine? I am thinking of La Myrrhe and Sarrasins and maybe another back-up for Chergui...
    Last edited by Larimar; 16th June 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Larimar

Also, thanks for your note about the price increase. I heard something like that before, but actually I might re-consider the timing for my already planned bell jar order. I have read here what others think about Sarrasins, but what is your idea, Mon-Petit? How does this stand as a leather between the others from Serge Lutens? How indolic is the jasmine? I am thinking of La Myrrhe and Sarrasins and maybe another back-up for Chergui..

Sarrasins has a delicate jasmine, a little dark, mysterious and sensual but i didn't detect leather in this (will have to re sniff it for verify!). The longevity is very weak on me (as all jasmines on me!), so i don't wear it but i enjoy on others. I think A la nuit would be better if you are looking for a powerful intense jasmine.
    La Myrrhe is one of my favorite (so far) from this house, but try it before if you can cause it's very special...
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 16th June 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks again, Mon-Petit! No, I am not looking for a powerful jasmine, much more like Sarrasins obviously, but no leather... hmm, I'll think about it and re-read the reviews

To my nose, Sarrasins is a jasmine that goes on cool and crisp, and then warms up rich and floral with a very mild fruitiness and a noticeable civet note. I don't smell any leather, just some well-placed civet in a gorgeous jasmine accord. I absolutely adore Sarrasins, and find it nothing like A La Nuit. To my nose, Sarrasins is the truer jasmine.

Thanks a lot, Sugandaraja! This sounds very appealing to me! Actually, I think it is mainly your fault (your review & your raving about Sarrasins) that I seem to long for it I remember sniffing A La Nuit, but it was definitely not my thing.

I've been holding back my review of Boxeuses until it gets a bit closer to the launch date, I'll probably be posting it in a couple of weeks... To me it is essentially a leather and Prunol composition, very much within the Lutens codes, and more of a variation on Féminité du Bois.

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    I've been holding back my review of Boxeuses until it gets a bit closer to the launch date, I'll probably be posting it in a couple of weeks... To me it is essentially a leather and Prunol composition, very much within the Lutens codes, and more of a variation on Féminité du Bois.
    As usual I am (with many others as well, I`m sure) looking forward to reading your review. I know I am not the only one who thinks it`s the most interesting Lutens release in a while - the concept of Russian leather engaged with hints of fruit is damn compelling.

However, the little thought from you pushes my expectation a bit backward, no doubt. I mean, Féminité du Bois?? It`s not a bad fragrance for sure but I was certainly wishing a way more edgier juice with mouthwateringly large amount of birch tar which is one of my favourite notes.

Overall I have a feeling that instead of eagirly waiting for new Lutens`, I should concentrate collecting the ones that I love and are still missing from my bottle collection. ---> Cuir Mauresque, Santal Blanc, Iris Silver Mist for myself....and then Daim Blond and Chergui for my girlfriend...

Basenotes Institution

Great. BTW, what is Prunol?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great. BTW, what is Prunol?

Since the carmencanada seems to be busy....

Introducing Prunol

I suppose what carmencanada was about, is that Prunol in this case is an aromachemical with plummy scent to it.

Is "a couple of weeks" now? Just impatiently checking here...

Sorry, haven't marked the thread to get the new comments on it... I haven't written the review yet, but it's coming soon. Didn't want to post it too much ahead of the launch and writing my book is keeping me pretty busy. This week, maybe?

@pigeon murderer: you won't be smelling anything with a mouthwatering amount of birch tar any time soon, it's restricted.

Prunol in perfumery is actually quite a complex base that was first used in Rochas Femme. It's plum, but it's also got ionones (violets), eugenols (clove), etc.

This week sounds great to me

Basenotes Institution

Thanks. I have not smelled Rochas Femme, but I think I can imagine what Prunol smells like, in my head at least .

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    To my nose, Sarrasins is a jasmine that goes on cool and crisp, and then warms up rich and floral with a very mild fruitiness and a noticeable civet note. I don't smell any leather, just some well-placed civet in a gorgeous jasmine accord. I absolutely adore Sarrasins, and find it nothing like A La Nuit. To my nose, Sarrasins is the truer jasmine.

It's weird, Suga- on my skin I get a leather accord that comes out with Sarrasins and little civet ! I think my skin plays down civet.
    Rochas Femme parfum ( vintage ) is wonderful - I guess I am smelling a lot of the Prunol .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I too get a distinctive leathery note besides a phase where it quite realistically resembles my diluted osmanthus solution that I have. I also have difficulties to smell civet on me at all or really noticeably.

Please another reminder drum roll once the review is online

Okay, now it's online... and there's a draw for a sample. Review of Boxeuses: click here.

Thanks so much for this intriguing review. I am in again for this release

Blog Entries

My favorite part of Un Bois Sepia (the woodiest of the Feminite off-shoots) is the point mid-day where the woods in the base morph into leather with the Lutens fruits still going. Is this essentially what Boxeuses does? Or does it have all the aldehydes and jammy patchouli of Feminite intact?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I've never worn Un Bois Sépia so I couldn't tell, but the leather in Boxeuses reads clearly from the outset and remains pretty stable throughout. The patchouli is more of a drydown deal.

Basenotes Institution

Perfumeshrine's great article on Boxeuses - makes me want to try it. www.perfumeshrine.com
    A love child between Cuir de Russie and Femme ... sounds wonderful .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Perfumeshrine's great article on Boxeuses - makes me want to try it. www.perfumeshrine.com
    A love child between Cuir de Russie and Femme ... sounds wonderful .
    Ooooh... got me intrigued too!

Any more discussion on Boxeuses?

I am thinking about sampling this. BTW, a certain someone was a superb bare-knuckle boxer or boxeur! LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Its very aromatic. Very perfumey.
    The leather, if any, is blended so smoothly it is at no point predominant.
    Wifey and I liked it a lot.

for swap/sale:

Plum and suede leather boxing it out. Daim Blond suede and Feminite du Bois plum, a combo of those two fragrances. Basically, that is what you get. It is very nice, but not ground breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its very aromatic. Very perfumey.
    Wifey and I liked it a lot.
    Thank you, hedonist. I will have to try this. Usually I like the leather note to stand out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Plum and suede leather boxing it out. Daim Blond suede and Feminite du Bois plum, a combo of those two fragrances. Basically, that is what you get. It is very nice, but not ground breaking.
    Again, cello, thank you for the input. This seems like something to at least try. I like 1889 Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums, which is a wonderful plum/leather with absinthe.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I found Boxeuses a big disappointment: Feminite du Bois, yet again, only slightly modified with a touch more fruit and violet. Serge really needs to get away from that Bois accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I found Boxeuses a big disappointment: Feminite du Bois, yet again, only slightly modified with a touch more fruit and violet. Serge really needs to get away from that Bois accord.
    I as well feel that the later offerings by SL are somewhat similar. I don't dislike the general feel of them, but call me crazy, I find for example Boxeuses and Fourreau Noir pretty similar. Love FN though, and have it.
    And the Bois scents are very much alike!

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    It is very nice, but not ground breaking.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    agree.

I find it (the leather) in some way ,floral, nothing rough.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Way to revive a thread.. this is one of two non-export SL that I picked up in Paris.. the other being Rahat Loukum. Its a very nice modern leather, sweet with fruit yet refined. Cuir Mauresque is still my favorite but Boxeuses works when I dont want to be so edgy.

I like Bouxeuses but... it´s so toned down! It barely seam like a Lutens! Lutens is well knowned for it´s powerful perfume. He should stick to that! He make beautiful loud powerful perfume! Let the other houses make the Eaus! Please dont let go what make you famous Mr. Lutens! We want more Lutens Orientals! There is always room dor another Lutens Oriental!

I've always wanted to sample Bouxeuses.
    - Expect the unexpected

Unexpectedly, Boxeuses ended up being one of the purchases during my visit last week. The fruity Feminite structure is there, as sugandaraja was saying (which is ok for me, since I don't own it). But perhaps even sweeter. Then the leather comes out - it's quite evident on me, though, as others have said, it is very seamless and floral, but still stronger than in Cuir Mauresque. (In terms of power, curiously, it was El Attarine that disappointed ... my nose must have been tired, but I could barely smell it. Not so boxeuses).

cacio

Well, I think the leather is right here. It is very important IMO to dab/splash this. The sweet plum is a bit much, but okay in winter for me. I agree I would have wished for a more prominent leather (regulations?), but the note is correct and fine. Low sillage and rather short longevity. It is not a Lutens I would consider buying again, but I am happy to have the bell jar to put it this way.

Agree with many of the sentiments expressed above. I was quite enthusiastic about this when I first received my decant, but its muted, sepia-toned composition soon left me feeling unsatisfied. I also found the references to Tabac Blond a little fanciful (sadly).
    The bitterness was welcome, as I think it would have been too easy (read: lazy) to set this on a syrupy sweet lutensade base. I recently swapped away my remaining jus, and I don't think I'll miss it.

I wasn't sure you'd end up buying it Cacio ! But you did.
    I almost did too in April.

for swap/sale:

Hmm don't know how this can be so different to me (to a couple of you) but this is quite strong and quite sweet to me. I easily get a full days wear from this especially sprayed. Sillage is good.
    As Mon-Petit said it's somewhere between FdB and DB and not really a leather as much as a plummy/fruity slightly smoky suede.