Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which do you like best?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guerlain Jicky

31 35.23%
  • Caron Pour Un Homme

32 36.36%
  • Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

25 28.41%

Question Pour Un Homme, Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur?

All three of these scents are lavender/citrus/vanilla (by my nose, at least) and I would like impressions on the one you like best.

Also state your preferred formulation, as Pour Un Homme is also available in the "intense" form, and Jicky has the parfum, EDT and EDP.

Please tell why, too!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pour Un Homme, Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur?

I only smelled Jicky a long time ago, and haven't tried Mouchoir, but own and regularly use Pour un Homme de Caron. It's a masterpiece. I have no idea how this isn't more widely known or worn, although it is a much-heralded fragrance. Easily has crossover appeal for women. My only problem with it is that it's a little too light, at least on my skin. Also I find that with fewer spritzes the vanilla comes forward within fifteen minutes, and stays prominent. More spritzes, and the lavender lives longer, with a more gradual fade into the vanilla. It smells very pure, and the lavender is quite relaxing. If I had an 8 oz splash bottle of this stuff I'd be better off; right now I'm just using a 4.2 oz atomizer.

If I had to go with any one of these, Pour un Homme would be it by biased default.
    Last edited by MOONB; 26th May 2010 at 09:19 PM.

Caron Pour un Homme or Mouchoir

Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur... Jicky is fabulous in any concentration, but of course to my mind the vintage formulas are fantastic. Ive only recently tried MdM recently and fell for it hook line and sinker... most definitely a male counterpart to Jicky! I have tried the modern EDT.

The Caron is my favorite of the three. I think I have only tried the others in EDT concentration, if my memory is correct.

Thank you all for posting!

I love all three but, for now, my Pour un Homme has come from the back of my collection and I am enjoying it again. I usu. cycle through my scents so I do not tire of one or the other.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love Pour Un Homme de Caron, period. Though I don't hate Jicky or MdM, I generally don't like civet-laden lavenders or citrus scents. Jicky and MdM are the best of that lot, but I'm not a big fan of either.

I quite like Jicky in parfum, I just wish it wasn't so pricey, as I like to use it liberally. Unlike Shalimar parfum, where a dab is enough, Jicky parfum wears more like an EdT or, at most, an EdP on my skin.

So, if a nice big spray bottle of Jicky parfum just happened to appear one day in my wardrobe, it would be my favorite of those listed. I like me some cat behind with my citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I love Pour Un Homme de Caron, period. Though I don't hate Jicky or MdM, I generally don't like civet-laden lavenders or citrus scents. Jicky and MdM are the best of that lot, but I'm not a big fan of either.
    Thank you, shamu1. It looks like Pour un Homme is taking the lead.

EDIT: And thank you, Suga, as we posted one minute apart! Yes, Jicky is pricey. I also like the civet-y note from Mouchoir and Jicky. (sigh) It is so hard to choose.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th May 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Blog Entries

I voted for the Caron Pou un Homme because I just cannot handle the civet in the two Guerlains.

Blog Entries

Jicky in vintage PdT for me- the dirtiest of all Jicky concentrations.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

Too hard to pick one...just thinking about it gives me a headache. I love all 3!

I like all three and use all three; I find MdM the most unique of the three,
    even though generally I tend to favor vintage Carons.

Basenotes Plus

Caron Un pour Homme is easier to wear IMO but the one which holds my attention better is Jicky. It has a greater depth. I can't say I prefer one over the other... it really depends on my mood. Still looking to sample Mouchoir de Monsieur though.

Blog Entries

Wow - you love yourself some civet! A personal "no" vote on all three from me, but I found Pour Un Homme strangely sad, like the smell of an old folks home - the simultaneous expression of nostalgia and decay.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Wow - you love yourself some civet! A personal "no" vote on all three from me, but I found Pour Un Homme strangely sad, like the smell of an old folks home - the simultaneous expression of nostalgia and decay.
    Pour un Homme de Caron is the one that doesn't have any civet. That's basically what sets it apart from Jicky + Mouchoir.

I dunno, simple lavender and vanilla doesn't conjure old people's homes to me - mothballs with a touch of Liz Taylor's White Diamonds - now that's grandma and grandpa for ya.

Thumbs up Re: Pour Un Homme, Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur?

POUR UN HOMME DE CARON
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

For me, Mouchoir de Monseiur anytime, although Caron makes a good second best

I chose the rather elegant - Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur because the lavender & civet notes are not as pronounced as that in Jicky & I feel the Caron offering is a rather bland fragrance. The Civet note gives my choice, a certain 'je nais se quoi'
    Last edited by magnnum; 27th May 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Let your nose be your pilot

My vote is Caron Pour un Homme...

(I would have voted for Ungaro II though if it had been in the poll)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Everyone probably knows that I'm voting for PuH de Caron. There's no citrus in it however, as mentioned in the OP. There is no civet in it either.
    karlovonamesti made a good observation that in higher doses, the lavender lasts longer. I have mentioned in the past also that PuH is more about ambergris to me than vanilla (on my skin) and the abergris becomes more animalic in warm weather.
    I do like Jicky and escpecially (even more) MdM. I find it more masculine and powdery than Jicky. But I'm not too comfortable wearing them what with the civet and the powdery nostalgic drydown. I noticed more civet being released in the Jicky EDT than the EDP or even the PDT. So my scond choice from the group would be MdM.

Jicky in parfum concentration gets my vote , as mentioned here its really not all that long lasting on my skin but I love it all the same . Timeless and sophisticated IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Everyone probably knows that I'm voting for PuH de Caron. There's no citrus in it however, as mentioned in the OP. There is no civet in it either.
    karlovonamesti made a good observation that in higher doses, the lavender lasts longer. I have mentioned in the past also that PuH is more about ambergris to me than vanilla (on my skin) and the abergris becomes more animalic in warm weather.
    I do like Jicky and escpecially (even more) MdM. I find it more masculine and powdery than Jicky. But I'm not too comfortable wearing them what with the civet and the powdery nostalgic drydown. I noticed more civet being released in the Jicky EDT than the EDP or even the PDT. So my scond choice from the group would be MdM.
    All the notes are not in all three of these scents, and you noted that I did not add in my OP the pronounced civet found in both the Jicky and MdM. I find that these scents have a lavender/vanilla character in common.

This group of responders seems to be divided in its choices, but Pour un Homme is still out in front! It's fortunate that PuH is the cheaper of the three...

I am slightly surprised to see Pour un Homme leading the way.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I am slightly surprised to see Pour un Homme leading the way.
    The civet in MdM and Jicky seems to be the swaying factor for those preferring PuH.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by karlovonamesti View Post
    Pour un Homme de Caron is the one that doesn't have any civet. That's basically what sets it apart from Jicky + Mouchoir...
    I respectfully disagree. CPUH has a small amount of civet, at least my nose detects some. Nothing like the sort that is in the Guerlains, but I definitely smell it. Am I alone in this?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. CPUH has a small amount of civet, at least my nose detects some. Nothing like the sort that is in the Guerlains, but I definitely smell it. Am I alone in this?
    Mike, I agree that each person senses different notes. The official Caron site only shows lavender and vanilla.

These are the PuH notes from the BN archives:

Top Notes
    Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon.

Middle Notes
    Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood .

Base Notes
    Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss.

BTW, Renaissance Man, these notes include both bergamot AND lemon...citrus. Again, each nose is different.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th May 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Though I do smell the vanilla in PUH, I don't find it to be strong (my wife thinks it's strong, though). I wouldn't like it if it was heavy in the vanilla. Just about all I smell is the lavender, which is what I want. One reason I'm so impressed with PUH is that the lavender, or the olfactory illusion of lavender, smell lasts for hours. If it's just an olfactory illusion, then PUH is a brilliant technical, as well as artistic, achievement.

for the notes you mentioned I think pour un homme
    but if Jicky makes into that list, and based on your gentlemanliness, I think Rochas' Moustache may be worth a try for you.

Wow, it really does come all down to olfactory perception! I don't look at PUH as a strong vanilla scent. However, I'm wearing Pour Un Homme this morning, and within seconds after spraying it on, my son came into my room and said, "Aw man, you smell like vanilla!!"

I don't smell vanilla in PUH, just tonka, but I do smell civet, at least in the top notes. Not Jicky levels of civet, but civet.

Sur la Plage

I like all three, but if I had to choose one it would be Pour un Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

You are not alone. I noted the exact same thing (to my surprise) the last time I test CPUH, which was last week. I felt it was quite subtle and I like that.

Although I can't smell an individual civet note, I would not be surprised at all if PUH had civet in it. To my nose, when civet is used sparingly it has the effect of "blunting" or flattening out the rough edges of sharp notes like lavender, citrus or wood without adding sweetness. I detect a similar effect in PUH. Maybe the civet in this serves that same purpose while simultaneously taking away some of the intense sweetness that the vanilla would otherwise have.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Good Lord! This is a very difficult choice. I gave myself a few days to decide on Caron Pour Un Homme Edt as the arguably the most wearable of this august group.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

it's hard to compare PuH with J and MdM. PuH is all sugary and playful and very caron--with none of the darker sensual qualities of the guerlain frags. I've worn all three of these for years: Wore PuH as a kid because it was in all the bathrooms of Air France flights--and it was my fragrance of choice for about 10 years. in my thirties, I graduated to jicky because it's so much more sophisticated. Now in my 40's I wear Jicky in the spring and summer and keep MdM for the darker cold months or when i'm feeling depressed--i would never go back to PuH: it's just too dainty and innocent for me--and the "Intense" parfum version smells like glue, and has a nauseating dry down. If you love PuH, you'll be more comfortable with Jicky Eau de Toilette--you won't find it lasts as long--but MdM might be a bit dark for you: it's nothing like PuH. Eschewing all of the above, you might deign to try Jo malone's Amber Lavender in very light doses, or Roger gallet's Lavande Royale, which is delightful.

I went for MdM.

I don't like the vanilla in PuH, it's too sweet and light.

Jicky I like but not as much as MdM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

i own all 3 of these fragrances. For Jicky, i find the vintage perfume (in square glass stopper) simply out of this world - quite possibly my holy grail. I have the pdt and edt as well. very good in their own ways but somehow pale in comparison to the magic of the vintage version.

MdM is very similar to Jicky Pdt, except it is heavier on the lavender. It lasts longer than the Jicky edt and similar in longevity to the pdt. wish i can get my hands on the vintage one in snail glass to compare...

PuH - i only have the new version (i have a huge bottle), so not sure if there have been any changes to the formula. To me, it is largely a lavender scent, and definitely lacks the complexity/animalistic qualities that jicky and MdM have. Longevity is also rather weak, and i tend to spray several times all over my bed and clothes (since it is easily available for a cheap price)... something i can't do with my Jickies and MdMs....

Mouchoir de Monsieur for me , .
    Last edited by 1234567890; 18th April 2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

ive seen 25 oz bottles of pour un homme. that is an indulgance id love to devour... apply as liberally as desired!

Never smelled MdM but I can't see it surpassing PuH.

The MdM is a wonderful lavender and vanilla, too, but with civet. Many cannot handle the civet.

Pour Un Homme or Mouchoir de Monsieur. I would never buy Jicky.

All 3 for me!!!!!!

Doesn't Clary Sage read as urinous to some people and not to others? Perhaps this is the source of the yes/no civet controversy in PUH? I have a modest squirt of - I think circa 80's - EdP Jicky on my arm at the mo' and I've gotta say that my associations to it are moving it out of the set of 'stuff I'd wear' and into the set of 'stuff I'd like to smell on other people' (in my case these would probably be women-type people). I approached Jicky with all good gender-category-busting intentions but Jicky EdP has firmly resisted my wish to claim it as my own. So now I'm all itchy to get MdM on me!

MdM
    Last edited by 1234567890; 18th April 2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: double post
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Pour un Homme...so far. It is worth noting that the lavender in Caron Impact EdP is absolutely fantastic, and more durable by half (endured coherently on my skin for just over half an hour in 75F weather last summer), but PuH is the one I own and wear.

I found the civet in Jicky EdT and EdP too much when I sampled them last year. Mouchoir wore just a little too wan on me the one time I tried it.

Perhaps it is time I revisited them all.

I like all three. All of them are equally wonderful, IMO.

The Pour Un Homme is less blended in its notes, an does not have the civet of Jicky or Mouchoir. The lavender and vanilla in Pour Un Homme seems to stand out as separate notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I like all three. All of them are equally wonderful, IMO.

The Pour Un Homme is less blended in its notes, an does not have the civet of Jicky or Mouchoir. The lavender and vanilla in Pour Un Homme seems to stand out as separate notes.
    Primrose, you do realize that you originally started this thread, right?

Which version of Jicky do you prefer? And you are right about the separation of lavender and vanilla in PuH, at least at either end of its development, although I do quite enjoy that period of overlap in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Primrose, you do realize that you originally started this thread, right?

Which version of Jicky do you prefer? And you are right about the separation of lavender and vanilla in PuH, at least at either end of its development, although I do quite enjoy that period of overlap in the middle.
    I have tested the scents over again and the Jicky grew on me.

That is why I tend to test over a period and not make snap judgments. I like both the Jicky EDP and the EDT. I sometimes layer them or spray the EDT on clothes. MdM is still a favourite.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I have tested the scents over again and the Jicky grew on me.

That is why I tend to test over a period and not make snap judgments. I like both the Jicky EDP and the EDT. I sometimes layer them or spray the EDT on clothes. MdM is still a favourite.
    Then you must try, if you can find it, Jicky Eau de Cologne (discontinued). It's fantastic. Highly recommend to someone like you who's acquired a taste for this fragrance. And well, of course, the parfum if you can afford it (right now, sitting at the very TOP of my To Buy list).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Then you must try, if you can find it, Jicky Eau de Cologne (discontinued). It's fantastic. Highly recommend to someone like you who's acquired a taste for this fragrance. And well, of course, the parfum if you can afford it (right now, sitting at the very TOP of my To Buy list).
    Thank you for the tip, Mike.

Older colognes are much more--somehow--better than newer EDTs and EDPs.

As for the extrait of Jicky, I will have to try this. I am not much of a pure perfume person, only having a few.

I own Jicky extrait and MdM EDT. Jicky extrait is superb but it doesn't last more than 4 hours on me... compared to the 24 hours I get from other Guerlain extraits (Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko and Shalimar). I sometimes wish I had bought the PDT (Parfum de Toilette = EDP) instead, it is much more affordable and I would probably get the same longevity out of it.

Blog Entries

My vote: Jicky. I've tried the Jicky extrait and, as noted above, it didn't last, and didn't wow me. I love the edt, though, and have been wearing it a lot lately. Would love to try MdM, but have never been able to find it. Pour Monsieur is my ongoing quandry. I know it's loved---and by those whose preferences I otherwise share---but I dislike it.
    jtd

Both are excellent but Jicky can become tedious and Pour un Homme is a bonbon. Mouchoir de Monsieur lacks the size of Jicky but it works a lot better for any kind of consistent wear.

I own and like all three but found them relatively dull soon enough. Either way, Jicky and MdM smell great are great to have around for the purpose of re-aligning your perceptions. Sort of a toggle switch for the olfactory system.

All of them are considerably more inspiring than most anything made today.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th April 2011 at 06:19 AM.

which one has more civet ? Jicky or Mdm

Pour Un Homme gets my vote.

I like Lavender and Vanilla, therefore ... no brainer.

Three pillars but if I'd really have to choose I'd go for Jicky just for being available in different strength.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here