Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which do you like best?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guerlain Jicky

31 35.23%
  • Caron Pour Un Homme

32 36.36%
  • Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

25 28.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pour Un Homme, Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur?

I don't smell vanilla in PUH, just tonka, but I do smell civet, at least in the top notes. Not Jicky levels of civet, but civet.

Sur la Plage

I like all three, but if I had to choose one it would be Pour un Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. CPUH has a small amount of civet, at least my nose detects some. Nothing like the sort that is in the Guerlains, but I definitely smell it. Am I alone in this?
    You are not alone. I noted the exact same thing (to my surprise) the last time I test CPUH, which was last week. I felt it was quite subtle and I like that.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Although I can't smell an individual civet note, I would not be surprised at all if PUH had civet in it. To my nose, when civet is used sparingly it has the effect of "blunting" or flattening out the rough edges of sharp notes like lavender, citrus or wood without adding sweetness. I detect a similar effect in PUH. Maybe the civet in this serves that same purpose while simultaneously taking away some of the intense sweetness that the vanilla would otherwise have.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Good Lord! This is a very difficult choice. I gave myself a few days to decide on Caron Pour Un Homme Edt as the arguably the most wearable of this august group.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

it's hard to compare PuH with J and MdM. PuH is all sugary and playful and very caron--with none of the darker sensual qualities of the guerlain frags. I've worn all three of these for years: Wore PuH as a kid because it was in all the bathrooms of Air France flights--and it was my fragrance of choice for about 10 years. in my thirties, I graduated to jicky because it's so much more sophisticated. Now in my 40's I wear Jicky in the spring and summer and keep MdM for the darker cold months or when i'm feeling depressed--i would never go back to PuH: it's just too dainty and innocent for me--and the "Intense" parfum version smells like glue, and has a nauseating dry down. If you love PuH, you'll be more comfortable with Jicky Eau de Toilette--you won't find it lasts as long--but MdM might be a bit dark for you: it's nothing like PuH. Eschewing all of the above, you might deign to try Jo malone's Amber Lavender in very light doses, or Roger gallet's Lavande Royale, which is delightful.

I went for MdM.

I don't like the vanilla in PuH, it's too sweet and light.

Jicky I like but not as much as MdM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

i own all 3 of these fragrances. For Jicky, i find the vintage perfume (in square glass stopper) simply out of this world - quite possibly my holy grail. I have the pdt and edt as well. very good in their own ways but somehow pale in comparison to the magic of the vintage version.

MdM is very similar to Jicky Pdt, except it is heavier on the lavender. It lasts longer than the Jicky edt and similar in longevity to the pdt. wish i can get my hands on the vintage one in snail glass to compare...

PuH - i only have the new version (i have a huge bottle), so not sure if there have been any changes to the formula. To me, it is largely a lavender scent, and definitely lacks the complexity/animalistic qualities that jicky and MdM have. Longevity is also rather weak, and i tend to spray several times all over my bed and clothes (since it is easily available for a cheap price)... something i can't do with my Jickies and MdMs....

Mouchoir de Monsieur for me , .
    Last edited by 1234567890; 18th April 2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

ive seen 25 oz bottles of pour un homme. that is an indulgance id love to devour... apply as liberally as desired!

Never smelled MdM but I can't see it surpassing PuH.

The MdM is a wonderful lavender and vanilla, too, but with civet. Many cannot handle the civet.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Pour Un Homme or Mouchoir de Monsieur. I would never buy Jicky.

All 3 for me!!!!!!

Doesn't Clary Sage read as urinous to some people and not to others? Perhaps this is the source of the yes/no civet controversy in PUH? I have a modest squirt of - I think circa 80's - EdP Jicky on my arm at the mo' and I've gotta say that my associations to it are moving it out of the set of 'stuff I'd wear' and into the set of 'stuff I'd like to smell on other people' (in my case these would probably be women-type people). I approached Jicky with all good gender-category-busting intentions but Jicky EdP has firmly resisted my wish to claim it as my own. So now I'm all itchy to get MdM on me!

MdM
    Last edited by 1234567890; 18th April 2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: double post
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Pour un Homme...so far. It is worth noting that the lavender in Caron Impact EdP is absolutely fantastic, and more durable by half (endured coherently on my skin for just over half an hour in 75F weather last summer), but PuH is the one I own and wear.

I found the civet in Jicky EdT and EdP too much when I sampled them last year. Mouchoir wore just a little too wan on me the one time I tried it.

Perhaps it is time I revisited them all.

I like all three. All of them are equally wonderful, IMO.

The Pour Un Homme is less blended in its notes, an does not have the civet of Jicky or Mouchoir. The lavender and vanilla in Pour Un Homme seems to stand out as separate notes.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I like all three. All of them are equally wonderful, IMO.

The Pour Un Homme is less blended in its notes, an does not have the civet of Jicky or Mouchoir. The lavender and vanilla in Pour Un Homme seems to stand out as separate notes.
    Primrose, you do realize that you originally started this thread, right?

Which version of Jicky do you prefer? And you are right about the separation of lavender and vanilla in PuH, at least at either end of its development, although I do quite enjoy that period of overlap in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Primrose, you do realize that you originally started this thread, right?

Which version of Jicky do you prefer? And you are right about the separation of lavender and vanilla in PuH, at least at either end of its development, although I do quite enjoy that period of overlap in the middle.
    I have tested the scents over again and the Jicky grew on me.

That is why I tend to test over a period and not make snap judgments. I like both the Jicky EDP and the EDT. I sometimes layer them or spray the EDT on clothes. MdM is still a favourite.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I have tested the scents over again and the Jicky grew on me.

That is why I tend to test over a period and not make snap judgments. I like both the Jicky EDP and the EDT. I sometimes layer them or spray the EDT on clothes. MdM is still a favourite.
    Then you must try, if you can find it, Jicky Eau de Cologne (discontinued). It's fantastic. Highly recommend to someone like you who's acquired a taste for this fragrance. And well, of course, the parfum if you can afford it (right now, sitting at the very TOP of my To Buy list).
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Then you must try, if you can find it, Jicky Eau de Cologne (discontinued). It's fantastic. Highly recommend to someone like you who's acquired a taste for this fragrance. And well, of course, the parfum if you can afford it (right now, sitting at the very TOP of my To Buy list).
    Thank you for the tip, Mike.

Older colognes are much more--somehow--better than newer EDTs and EDPs.

As for the extrait of Jicky, I will have to try this. I am not much of a pure perfume person, only having a few.

I own Jicky extrait and MdM EDT. Jicky extrait is superb but it doesn't last more than 4 hours on me... compared to the 24 hours I get from other Guerlain extraits (Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko and Shalimar). I sometimes wish I had bought the PDT (Parfum de Toilette = EDP) instead, it is much more affordable and I would probably get the same longevity out of it.

My vote: Jicky. I've tried the Jicky extrait and, as noted above, it didn't last, and didn't wow me. I love the edt, though, and have been wearing it a lot lately. Would love to try MdM, but have never been able to find it. Pour Monsieur is my ongoing quandry. I know it's loved---and by those whose preferences I otherwise share---but I dislike it.
    jtd

Both are excellent but Jicky can become tedious and Pour un Homme is a bonbon. Mouchoir de Monsieur lacks the size of Jicky but it works a lot better for any kind of consistent wear.

I own and like all three but found them relatively dull soon enough. Either way, Jicky and MdM smell great are great to have around for the purpose of re-aligning your perceptions. Sort of a toggle switch for the olfactory system.

All of them are considerably more inspiring than most anything made today.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th April 2011 at 06:19 AM.

which one has more civet ? Jicky or Mdm

Pour Un Homme gets my vote.

I like Lavender and Vanilla, therefore ... no brainer.

Power Where You Need It

Three pillars but if I'd really have to choose I'd go for Jicky just for being available in different strength.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here