Code of Conduct

Default Deauville PH (Michel Germain)... a real sleeper gem

Got a bottle of this today at TJ Maxx for $13. The name sounded interesting, and it was cheap, so I decided to blindly buy a bottle.

Of course, there was the blind buy risk, but it turns out Deauville pour Homme is an absolutely stunning men's floral, and one of my new faves. Powdery but fresh, clean but sexy. I think it was just the summer fragrance I was looking for. I'm wondering why more Basenoters haven't discovered this gem.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Deauville PH (Michel Germain)... a real sleeper gem

I've wondered about this kind of "oversight" for a while now. I think it amounts to this: there are some frags that get a lot of attention for various reasons, and then there are a huge number of frags that are at least decent (technically sound, unique, less expensive versions of expensive frags, etc.). Once in a while someone writes up a post like yours, and at least a few BNers are interested. Possibly one or two might blind buy it, and that's the way it stands, possibly for quite a while. There is simply nothing to "drive" the "buzz," as is the case with some other frags, which may have a fairly large following, or the company is doing a lot of advertising, or whatever the reason.

I also like the name...very chic.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I smelled one couple weeks ago at marshalls.

I thought at buying it for me at first, but i like a little bolder scents.
    I thought of buying it for my dad, but he likes more subtle scents. (he loves my Mugler Cologne)

The issue i had with that one is that on me it does smell very clean and powdery, but it is fairly strong on me in a way i wouldnt expect such a scent to be.

It isnt as soapy and powdery as prada amber, but from what i remember its slightly feminine (not in a bad way)

I concur that this is a nice sleeper, especially given the price. I posted a review of this a few weeks ago (not up yet). The Art Decoish bottle and typeface attracted my eye initially when I saw it several years ago in Bloomingdale's. When it showed up at TJ Maxx I too sprung the $12.99. I like powdery scents typically so I wasn't disappointed. Lasts too. Not unlike Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme.

Just what is the character of the tobacco in Deauville? Is is pronounced or more subtle?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

I recently finished a 100ml bottle of this scent. I used it for a work rotation frag. It was musk dominant to me, but decent. The longevity was very average as was the overall fragrance itself. A very good buy for the money at the Maxx.

I was able to try Deanville at a local Marshall's but the juice left a red mark on my arm.

I opted instead for a 30 ml bottle of Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme.

I keep seeing this at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, it comes in a huge box, I believe it's a 3.4 oz. It almost looks like a perfume that was misplaced in the men's section. I've been wanting to find one open and test it out, but to no avail. I'm not one to open an unopened box either, maybe I'll just buy it blind. Does it perhaps remind you of any other more common fragrances?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I keep seeing this at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, it comes in a huge box, I believe it's a 3.4 oz. It almost looks like a perfume that was misplaced in the men's section. I've been wanting to find one open and test it out, but to no avail. I'm not one to open an unopened box either, maybe I'll just buy it blind. Does it perhaps remind you of any other more common fragrances?
    It's a very innocuous scent, but still good enough to be worth the cheap price tag. There is nothing great about this fragrance. It's simply okay. That's why it's in the bargain bins to begin with. It smells like a multitude of other citric/musk concoctions that are pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I opted instead for a 30 ml bottle of Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme.
    How'd the Lanvin turn out for you?

The_Cologneist: It's like Dior Homme, except take out the fruit and replace it with a generic "fresh" accord that doesn't last very long. I'd also say that DH is clearly stronger, but if you spray more it solves that problem.