Code of Conduct

Default Gourmand choice - Hanae Mori, A*Men, Rochas Man

Thinking about getting a gourmand and I'm not usually a gourmand person. What's your take on Hanae Mori, A*Men, Rochas Man?

I haven't seen A*Men Pure Coffee anywhere so I haven't tested it.

Default Re: Gourmand choice - Hanae Mori, A*Men, Rochas Man

I have all three and they are good gourmands but my wife's favorite is Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (she says I smell like yummy cookies when I wear it).

Basenotes Institution

None of them. Try The One for Men by D&G

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin was way too overpowering when I tried it last. The vanilla and licorice overwhelmed me. I'll give it another spray when I see it next time though since I used to think A*Men was way too chocolatey.

In my opinion, I really would advise against Hanae Mori. It may come off as really chemical and synthetic.

I highly recommend the Rochas Man. MY first gourmand and it's excellent. A*Men is very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    None of them. Try The One for Men by D&G
    damn mike you really love "the one".....it gets very sweet and powdery on me quick...I wish the beginning part stayed on a little longer or at least it remained a bit spicier....

i'd say Rochas.....the best designer gourmand out there....and i still havent met a female who doesnt love it.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Amen is a little too popular for about five years running, but it's my favorite of the three and the gourmand family for men. It's the tar and powder qualities that save it for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    damn mike you really love "the one".....it gets very sweet and powdery on me quick...I wish the beginning part stayed on a little longer or at least it remained a bit spicier....

i'd say Rochas.....the best designer gourmand out there....and i still havent met a female who doesnt love it.
    Love it? No. Like it better than the 3 choices above? Yes.

Blog Entries

Of the three you listed; A*Men. If you could venture beyond these, then Bond No. 9 New Haarlem and Montale Red Aoud.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

There's also Animale Animlale, which is a lavender/chocolate with sandalwood, as well as Avon's Tomorrow, which seems to be a Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin clone. I prefer A*Men of this bunch, though I can see why some dislike the tar, which I think is what makes it work! I've found that some "women's" gourmand frags are better, though, so I rarely wear the "men's" ones these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Amen is a little too popular for about five years running, but it's my favorite of the three and the gourmand family for men. It's the tar and powder qualities that save it for me.
    Ok, I've only worn it once, but I think that Parfumerie Generale Coze is like a grown up A*Men. It shares only the good things.. there is nothing cloying, nothing sickeningly sweet - just a rich, velvety, tobacco scent with hints of sweetened dark chocolate and tar sharpness. Give it a try
    Last edited by jrd4t; 22nd August 2008 at 12:39 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

A*Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Of the three: Rochas Man

But there are better gourmands than those three. Sniff around a little more...

Definitely Rochas Man.

Hanae Mori is also pretty good.

I really dislike A*Man for some reason

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Rochas man by a mile. I thought it was like pouring sugar on my body

I have Pure Coffee and Rochas Man - they are pretty different (and I've tried HM). Rochas Man is primarily a lavender and 'cafe' (chocolate/vanilla) accord, which creates the effect of smelling like cookie dough. Rochas Man is linear and does not develop much at all.

Pure Coffee (which is available at Nordstroms and was available on Dillards online earlier this summer) is a richer version of A*Men but with a strong roast coffee note instead of the 'burnt tar" note that is so controversial. As it develops the coffee notes meld into chocolate and vanilla notes, which all intertwine. Again, it's a modified AMen. If you'd like a sample PM me.

I don't fine much overlap owning both. Rochas is versatile and can be worn anytime, anywhere. Pure Coffee is a little more richer and may not work so well on a hot day.

As a big gourmand fan I ordered a bunch of samples on my recent niche purchasing tear. Any of the following would be a good purchase for gourmand fans: Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille or 5'O'Clock Au Gingerbre, Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique, and Chanel Coromandel. I also got a sample of Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, which was unreal but unfortunately is a non-export and tough to come by.
    Last edited by bbBD; 22nd August 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Rochas Man all the way..

I haven't tried Hanae Mori. I either want a pure gourmand scent, or one that isn't gourmandy at all. I don't want one that is halfway between.

I have only tried Lolita Lempicka and A*Men on paper, but they both dried down to pure vanilla too quickly to my nose. I really need to try them on skin before writing them off completely though. Rochas Man is nice. The first time I wore it I thought it smelled like a tootsie roll, but it has grown on me somewhat since. It is pleasant and mild, and if you want to smell like food it is a good choice.

Rochas man is in a different class! my no.1

BTW any one knows the correct pronounciation for "Rochas" it is Spanish isn't it
    Last edited by afraafra; 22nd August 2008 at 06:17 AM.

I want to throw a vote towards Fresh's Cannabis Santal. I like it more than A*Men, which would be my next choice. It corrects the two main problems I had with A*Men (1. It's not as oppressive and cloying. 2. It replaces that tar note with fruit and a little rose.)
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Rochas!!!!

Smile Re: Gourmand choice - Hanae Mori, A*Men, Rochas Man

Rochas man.....

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Hanae Mori is probably better for summer or wearing somewhere where you get hot (dancing). I don't like it much, but women like it.

A*men is my favourite, but I think it a cold weather scent.

Rochas Man is pretty good for the seasons in between.
    Renato

Rochas Man -- hands down, far and away. Hanae Mori is too chocolate-covered cherry sundae for my taste, and I need say no more about A*men than I've already said many times over on this board.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post

BTW any one knows the correct pronounciation for "Rochas" it is Spanish isn't it

Its french. I heard a french lady pronounce it as "Roshaas". Thats what I'd go by :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Rochas Man, as it is a favorite of mine.

I don't like Hanae Mori. I haven't tried A*Men yet.

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post

It is pronounced "Row - Shah" (silent 's' at the end)

I have all of them and they are not the same. However, Rochas Man would be the best choice for those venturing into the gourmand world. And if you can try Bond No. 9, don't forget to test New Haarlem. It's one of the best gourmand scents I've ever worn.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I really like A*men but wear it very infrequently. I just got New Haarlem and it is just awesome, the best gourmand I've tried and more wearable on me than A*men.

Molten Gin

From the three -- I'd choose Rochas Man.

Then there's Un Crime Exotique, New Haarlem, Ambre Narguile (yes!) and so on. All bottle-worthy IMO -- so check them out!
    Last edited by moltening; 22nd August 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Infini by Divine

Carlos Santana for Men is worthy of consideration as well...

Hanae Mori - exquisite

Rochas Man out of those three, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine if you want to smell more "unique". New Haarlem if you want to smell like a creamier (albeit more expensive) Rochas man. Hanae Mori goes from lemon to chocolate...I dunno about that, I like my chocolate and citrus separate. A*Men is just too...in your face? It screams HEY LOOK AT ME. IMO not something you could wear that often.

I've found that Escada Collection and Charles Jourdan The Parfum ("women's" frags) blow these "men's" ones out of the water. I'm also trying Storer's "Monk" for a second time, and it has a chocolate-like quality to it,but also reminds me of a snuffed candle, and there may be a bit of vanilla too. In any case, this is worth trying if you don't want something that is too "foody."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd August 2008 at 05:59 PM.

I've got these, in order of preference:

Angel pour Femme
    Rochas Man
    Hanae Mori pour Homme EDP (this is great provided you go véry easy on the trigger and on chest only)
    A*men (the base is nothing but a load of caramel on me - not very pleasant)

Nobody mentioned Givenchy Pi and Lomani Ignition..both very gourmand.

Blog Entries

mmm, i was waiting for the mentioning of pi here, definetely worth a go.
    however, rochas has to be the choice IMO.
    creamy, awesome mixture with the vanilla chocolate, havent worn a frag that deserved the attribute 'yummy' more.

You cant go wrong with Rochas.smells lovely....However, H

You cant go wrong with Rochas.smells lovely....However, Hanai mori is also very nice.but it less versatile and can be very cloying if oversprayed.definetly a good chocie for winter, but i would go for rochas first

I'd choose Rochas Man out of the three.
    Personally, I like Bond No.9 - New Haarlem better. (more lavender.. blacker coffee.. darker chocolate.. lasts longer to me)

If you wanna go gourmand hardcore style, try Aquolina's Blue Sugar Man.

fresh cannabis santal is a great frag , you can find it at sephora and they will give you a sample if you ask for it, similar to amen but more refined IMO

I'm not a big gourmand guy, but I do like Rochas Man. I just find it a bit too "in your face". If you're looking for a nice, cheap alternative, check out Thallium by Jacques Evard. Jock with Scents turned me on to this one a while back and it's one of the very few gourmands I wear. It's almost like a lighter version of Rochas Man and can be had for about $15.

Like a lot of the posters , I would recommend Rochas Man out of the three you have listed. However, I would also recommend Yohji Homme ( if you can get ahold of it) and Cristobal as much better gourmands . I have tried A*Men, and I feel very self conscious with it on. I feel like I smell too much like sweets, christmas and a girl. Nothing wrong with that, but not the "impression" I want to make.

I have all three, and of those i like Rochas the best. To me it is just a smoother fragrance.

Blog Entries

I've only tried A*Men and Hanae Mori.
    On me Hanae Mori was a much lighter version of A*Men and came off too light in that regard.
    I like the power of A*Men and think it is a good entry point into the gourmand arena.
    I also second Givenchy Pi as a designer alternative and for Bond No. 9 New Haarlem as a great niche example.
    No matter what enjoy the one you pick.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Thanks for the replies. I would never have thought of trying a woman's gourmand. I'll admit I'll be chicken and try them out as a gift for a "friend".
    I'll try to give your other suggestions a chance before purchasing. So far the majority goes with Rochas though.

The battle of smelling food-like without seeming like you've been sitting at your desk stuffing your face full of sweets goes on.

Hanae Mori and Rochas Man are too polite. Be a rockstar with A*men. It's the only one that stays raunchy throughout the drydown while the other ones get flat and dull IMO.
    Last edited by teflondog; 23rd August 2008 at 02:00 AM.

Another one I just sampled is Imperial Opoponax. This is strong stuff, but it's also well blended, and it's "unisex," so you don't have to feel strange. At $65 for 100 ml, it's quite reasonable. The resinous myrrh holds the sweetness in check, or at least it feels that way. I've got to give this one a full wearing very soon !

A*Men is my first choice of all the 4 - this is the most impressive scent

Rochas Man - has no lasting power

NewHaarlem is my first choice coffee scent - similar to A*Men Pure Coffee, Pure coffee is a cheaper NewHaarlem that´s all, but A*Men Pure Coffee has a weak lasting power, NewHaarlem is a bomb against it, but the normal A*Men is much better in lasting power and throw, then the Pure Coffee version
    Last edited by milanolover; 23rd August 2008 at 04:43 AM.
    scent up your life!

Jacomo Rouge is a cheap Rochas Man in some respects.

Luca Turin talked about "balance" being an important criterion for assessing frags, and I think this is especially important for gourmands. It only takes one small "problem" to really unbalance it and make it unpleasant. Though gourmands and orientals are my favorites, when a gourmand is unbalanced, I just can't stand it. A*Men seems to be balanced by the tar (for me, of course), just as the resinous myrrh seems to balance things out in Imperial Opoponax. Rosewood seems to have this role in Carven Homme. In Animale Animale, there are too many "rough" spots for me, whereas in Rochas Man I think the sandalwood note is too strong. In New Haarlem, there's also something that is too strong, and it comes across to me as having a prune danish pastry right under my nose for hours. It may be that because these frags smell like food, it doesn't take much to create a sense of "unbalance" (at least for me), unlike other kinds of frags, which have more "leeway."

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Its french. I heard a french lady pronounce it as "Roshaas". Thats what I'd go by :-)
    Actually the ' S ' at the end is silent, so it is pronounced Roshaa.

From the three: Rochas

I've read a lot about Animale Animale. I still have yet to smell this one. Looks good.