Code of Conduct

Default An Iris to Die For?

I'm still pretty much a newbie perfumista and I'm hoping for some help. I've smelled two iris scents so far, and that's enough to let me know that iris and I were made for each other! Love the earthiness, the cold/warm dichotomy, the "purpleness" of it all ... I love it that iris smells elegant and adult to me without being so overbearing that it demands attention wherever it goes. I love that on my skin, irises seem to last all day and still smell wonderful when I'm drifting off to sleep. I suspect it's the iris in the mix that makes me like L'Heure Bleue so much as well, but I'd like to find something where the iris is the dominant note.

My two irises have been Yves Rocher Iris Noir and Keiko Mecheri Iris Pourpre (from a spray sample). The Rocher is dirt cheap but smells great to me. However, having just smelled the Mecheri, I can tell how much better it is -- even though the Rocher is colder/rootier and less sweet, both of which qualities I prefer, the Mecheri is just obviously constructed of better materials and smells richer. I'll still happily wear the Rocher, but it is clearly not my iris HG.

I'm working on a limited perfume budget, and would prefer not paying Mecheri/Serge Lutens/Frederic Malle prices, but I would like to try some more good irises and spring for a full bottle of something wonderful. Can someone recommend some other scents to hunt down and sniff? Hermes Hiris is at a reasonable price point for me ($40-50 for 1.7 oz. if you shop around a little) and I definitely want to sample that one -- what competing iris frags should I look for before I make a final decision?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Thalia; 27th May 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: An Iris to Die For?

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens

Not cheap (or easy to source). But this is what you're looking for. 'Nuff said.

I enjoy the scent of L'Occitane's Notre Flore Iris, a nice creamy iris. My fav iris. I also enjoy the more complex Prada Infusion d'Iris.

Also, Annick Goutal Duel. A musk/leather iris with tea. Divine but not long-lasting on me.

The cheapest is the Notre Flore Iris, and you can order this online:

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...prod=32EP075IR
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th May 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Maybe you could try Infusion d'Iris by Prada ? There is a similarity ( to me anyway ,to l'Heure Bleue )..as Primrose said.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 27th May 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

i was just thinking.. last Sunday i was hiking along a creek in a red wood forest, where Iris grow naturally. I picked a wilted flower to sniff while I walked. To smell this as-is, ie., not farm grown or manufactured, is really a blessing.

to me it smelled like a raw green bean with a dash of floral sweetness. Very tart. it's hard to find this reproduced as in in a scent, but you might want to play with Guerlain for a bit, i second l'heure Bleue and would also try a sample of Apres l'ondee. let us know what you find!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

The Ferre de Ferre Iris perfume is very similar to Frederic Malle's
    Iris Poudre and was in fact created by the same nose.It is usually available
    quite cheaply online. Be aware that a lot of the Ferre scents sound the same!

Oh! Is it called Ferre de Ferre Iris? I see the Ferres all over the place.

Blog Entries

I tried Iris Silver Mist when I was new to perfume and I wasn't ready for it. It is very rich and it is all about the root of the iris. The ingredients are of the highest quality. I tried it again later when I became weary of sweeter perfumes. This stuff has tremendous depth and beauty. You can get by on a small decant as it is very rich. I highly recommend it.

One of the first I sampled and still a favorite is Bois d'Iris by The Different Company.

Hiris by Hermes is a nice and lasting one ...Iris Noir by Yves Rocher is heavy -complex iris but not powdery like other scents!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

You must try Dior Homme, yes it is a male but it has masses of iris.

I dislike my iris sweet, Hiris to me was always toothaching in sweetness.
    Also the L'Occitane is very sweet and to be honest too expensive for what you get.

If you can sniff L'Artisan Iris Pallida is divine.
    MPG Iris Gris Bleu woody dry iris.

Silver Iris Mist is alway so beautiful
    DONNA

Iris Pallida
    Ibitira Irisss
    Dior Passage #8 (I think) -- from the trio of Passages (2006)
    TDC Bois d'Iris

MPG and Prada are too much dependent on musk that I do not do under normal circumstances, i.e. unless I absolutely have to.

I've tried Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arples and is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Iris Pallida
    Ibitira Irisss
    Dior Passage #8 (I think) -- from the trio of Passages (2006)
    TDC Bois d'Iris

MPG and Prada are too much dependent on musk that I do not do under normal circumstances, i.e. unless I absolutely have to.
    Speaking of price, the MPG is also expensive for what you get.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

P., you are right!

Where does one go to sample Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris? I would like to!

Thanks, so many great things to explore! There's a L'Occitane in a nearby mall, so if they have a tester I can sniff risk-free. The Dior Homme sounds intriguing -- I don't much like it sweet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    P., you are right!

Where does one go to sample Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris? I would like to!
    I got it from luckyscent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Oh! Is it called Ferre de Ferre Iris? I see the Ferres all over the place.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124496.html
    Last edited by torooo; 27th May 2010 at 07:03 PM.

So many great irises have already been mentioned...I must add Le Labo's Iris 39 (Iris/Patchouli) None of the greats are cheap!

I have to agree with Mike - Iris Silver Mist is THE one. I say this after trying about thirty iris fragrances, including some that are very well-regarded in the community.

If I was in your position with your budgetary requirements, I'd get an 8ml spray decant of Iris Silver Mist from The Perfumed Court.

Basenotes Institution

OMG- Dior Homme- excellent - must try - never mind that it says 'homme' ...it's great.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The most cinematic iris I have ever come across is Chanel No.19 parfum. I can almost see it as much as smell it. Had Coco Chanel directed Avatar, it would have been like No.19 -a 3D extravaganza in blue and green.

Blog Entries

An Iris layering: Arpege Pour Homme with Hiris by Hermes. It is an olfactory cold fusion reaction.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 28th May 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Until I recently tried Mecheri's Iris d'Argent, 28 La Pausa http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126949.html was my fave. (I liked the Poupre too....)

Am sitting here on the fence......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I second Ferre by Ferre. I bought a tester for less than $30. It is delicious. I also love Dior Homme. Sephora sells the 30ml bottle and it is not too expensive. Bois d'Iris by Van Cleefs and Arpel is very nice, but right now my favorite iris is 28 La Pausa.

I recommend getting samples and decants. Have you checked the swapping thread? Some people swap samples. It is a good way to smell the super expensive perfumes before making an investment.
    Evenstar

Thanks, I will check the swap thread. I also just bid on a $10 bottle of Ferre on eBay, because come on, $10 ...

I've been interested in trying Chanel No. 19 for quite some time because I love green frags -- if it's green AND irisy, that's an almost irresistible prospect.

I live in the L.A. area, so if I'm willing to put in the time to travel around I can probably try at least a sample spritz of almost anything!

Oh, I did not realized you were in Southern California.

May I suggest a trip to Scentbar (aka Luckyscent) and a trip to Beverly Hills (Barney's, Saks, Neiman Marcus)?
    Another alternative is to travel south into Orange County to South Coast Plaza. You will find there a Chanel boutique, Hermes, Cartier, Lalique, Armani + Saks, Nordstrom (they carry Creeds, Carons, Guerlain exclusives).
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 28th May 2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I second Ferre by Ferre. I bought a tester for less than $30. It is delicious...
    I'm assuming you are talking about the feminine that came out in 2005, by Bourdon (the Ferre line is so confusing)?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th May 2010 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Speaking of price, the MPG is also expensive for what you get.
    Not when I got my bottle at £27 in Les Senteurs clearance. LOL
    DONNA

I just tried Hiris today and I was shocked that the dry down was very similar to Chanel 19. I always attributed 19 with jasmine and rose but yeah, I never realize that iris is an important component to it as well. In the end, I didn't get Hiris because I felt that it was too much in character with 19, and I prefer the Chanel. 19 is not a solifore though, so if you're after a more straight forward light floral iris, you should consider Hiris.

Yeah, and as darkdreams mentioned, Bois d'Iris is awesome...

Iris silver mist is for me the most beautiful and sophisticated Iris.
    Also like Iris poudré - Editions de parfums Frédéric Malle

What of Iris de Nuit by Heeley? Not cheap (you can buy a small decant) but this looks interesting:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31503

I ordered a decant of Iris Silver Mist a week ago, and I'm getting impatient... This thread has really inflated my expectations, so it has a lot to live up to!

Hermes Hiris
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I've read that a lot of people actually prefer the Chanel No. 19 EDT to the EDP -- which is heavier on the green/iris combo?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about the feminine that came out in 2005, by Bourdon (the Ferre line is so confusing)?
    Yes, that one. He also created Iris Poudre for F. Malle. According to The Guide, they are very similar, but I have not tried the Malle yet.
    Evenstar

I'll throw one in that doesn't get much love on these boards, but I really like it. MPG Fleur d'Iris is a green iris, stark violet opening that softens up with a very pleasant green iris melding into a slightly warm, soft vanillaish drydown (but doesn't lose the iris or really even the green). You can find it for under $100 for 100 ml if you look around at some of the discounters.

I love the iris note, and many of my favs are listed above. But my little MPG is actually one that I wear alot, year round, but especially this time of year.

Basenotes Plus

One of my favorite notes in perfumery! Iris or "orris" is also one of the most expensive.

There have been lots of great mentions here, I'll add some more: Creed's Irisia is an oft overlooked Creed. Notes are bergamot, infusion of iris and tuberose (don't worry this is not a tuberose fragrance), ambergris and amber. Since Irisia is overlooked, you can find it at places like Ren Rien for about 80 bucks. It is wonderful by itself but excellent as a layering fragrance.

The othe iris scent I think is worth mentioning (and hasn't already been mentioned) is the fairly new Balenciaga Paris. It's a clean, peppery fragrance which doesn't make a huge impression on paper. This is one you have to wear on skin and spend some time getting to know. You might catch yourself thinking "mmmm, who smells good?", only to discover it's YOU! (Happened to me, anyway.)
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

I've read that a lot of people actually prefer the Chanel No. 19 EDT to the EDP -- which is heavier on the green/iris combo?
    The EdP is more iris prominent. The EdT is more green.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    The Ferre de Ferre Iris perfume is very similar to Frederic Malle's
    Iris Poudre and was in fact created by the same nose.It is usually available
    quite cheaply online. Be aware that a lot of the Ferre scents sound the same!
    Darn you for posting this! Now I've got this on my wishlist. Just when I thought I had hit the bottom.

My favourites include: The Different Company Bois d'Iris, Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist, Hermès Hiris and Annick Goutal Heure Exquise.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I love Guerlain's Iris Ganache, an iris/chocolate gourmand fragrance.

Don't think I've seen this one mentioned yet: Mythique from Parfums Delrae.

It's a gorgeous, complicated woody-floral with a pronounced iris note.

You can order a great sample pack of the Delrae perfumes directly from their website for just $25, shipping included! The samples are generously-sized vials, and you get six of them, in cute little envelopes. Totally worth the $25. Mythique was my favorite of the bunch but all six were beautiful and wearable, very high-quality.

\\http://www.parfumsdelrae.com/index.c...=8&ParentCat=3

I tried No. 19 EDT this weekend, and all I got was galbanum -- no iris at all.

Wow, I might need to do the Delrae sample pack. I keep hearing great things about them.

Thank you for givign so many wonderful things to try! That MPG Fleur d'Iris does sound wonderful -- and Beauty Encounter has a tester for $56.
    Last edited by Thalia; 2nd June 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I tried No. 19 EDT this weekend, and all I got was galbanum -- no iris at all...
    As I suspected. You need to try the vintage EdP if you can find it. Different scent, very iris-y.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd June 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries

This thread is great - I've been on a bit of an iris kick lately, having recently fallen in love with Malle's Iris Poudre. (side note: if you have access to a Barneys, do try it, but also put on some of the matching body butter - it's mind-blowing)

I'm quite intrigued now by the Ferre as a much less expensive alternative...

I'll also throw in a vote for Dior Homme. Other than the name, there's nothing particularly "homme" about it. The next time you pass a Sephora, give it a sniff.

Aside from Luckyscent, the Van Cleef exclusifs (including the iris one) are at Neimans. If you smile and ask nicely, they have cute little sample six-packs to give out with vials of all the exclusifs inside...

All that being said, the scent that ignited my desire for iris was L'Heure Bleue also. If you can, try the extrait - it's heavier on the iris-laden Guerlinade.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile, both edt and edp. You can find them at a good price on ebay.

Iris Ganache is to die for in my book, expensive, yes, but a small decant should last a long time. Has epic longivity and sillage.
    What other people think of you is none of your business, listen to mother, mind your own business

No.19 parfum is the most iris-heavy of the available formulations. The modern formulation has the plus of also being prominently leathery

I'd say Dior Homme is probably the more affordable iris that is also a great composition. No.19 EDT does have a good amount of iris as well, and is widely availble (at Chanel prices, though).