Code of Conduct

Default So I'm getting married and need some advice

So in December, in the middle of the Australian summer, I'll be getting married and need some advice from the noses at BN as to what I should wear.

To set it up a bit, the ceremony will be in the middle of the day, in a church before moving into a garden reception in the afternoon and then dinner and the following party-like gathering afterwards with the younger crowd.
    It will be fairly formal for a midday wedding, I think 'lounge suit' is the phrase for the dress - so less stuffy than black or white tie, but still quite dressy.

My wardrobe should give you an idea of what I already have (a fairly modest collection compared to most here) and I don't object to testing as many scents as I can and purchasing something new for this occasion.

Default Re: So I'm getting married and need some advice

advice: don't get married.

Link to your wardrobe would be nice. I'd recommend Windsor by Creed. Pricey but you can find decants for a reasonable price.

will find that link...

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/39991

talkingmuffin: yeah, thanks
    Last edited by Mondrian; 28th May 2010 at 05:35 AM.

Sometimes I'm a broken record on Guerlain Vetiver's groove, but given the mid-day quality, the mid-summer quality, and how wonderful I think the scent is, that's the one I'd pick from your list. Were it going to be evening or spring/autumn I'd say maybe the Azzaro PH or Envy for Men, since I think those are great scents too, but from the present collection I'd say you'd never regret taking the vows in the Guerlain.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Anything but Millesime Imperial would be an outrage and cause for immediate divorce if you decide on anything from your wardrobe.

Mondrian: click here.

I like that you're splitting your reception. Traditional in the afternoon and more modern in the evening. As any scent probably won't last morning till evening in the warm weather I think two scents may be appropriate.

For the wedding and reception, maybe something light and classy like Chanel Pour Monsieur. For the evening party with your friends, Chanel Platinum Egoiste is a younger, more playful scent equally suited for the weather.

Congratulations!

DocMan - good idea. The thought of doing multiple scents for the different settings never occurred.

to everyone else - thanks so far.

Hey Mondrian.

You should test Amouage Gold Men for your wedding. Or MPG Parfum d'Habit !

For your bride if she needs one: Creed Royal Water
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    advice: don't get married.
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Beat me to it.
    Gents, can we get off the referendum of our fellow member's life choice? He's asking for fragrance suggestions.

DocmanCC says it right: congratulations, and they're in order.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Habit Rouge, Vetiver, Pour Monsieur - yes. Something classy, smooth, and understated, but not too powdery or stuffy given the outdoor setting (Habit Rouge is borderline, I think). Nothing sporty or citrus - this is not the place for your Allure Sport, your Nauticas, or your Versace Eau Fraiche. And obviously, nothing feminine or sweet - you're a man getting married to a woman, and you should smell like one. (A man, that is.) And whatever you pick, wear one spray less of it than you normally would.

OK, the best suggestion I can think of is also the most obvious: what does SHE like the best? Think of her, and you'll make the right decision.

Cdg 2
    smw

Congrats Mondrian...

Some excellent suggestions have already been made.

I feel the wedding fragrance should be one that is special. A fragrance that should be unique in a way. Something that reeks class and is not easily accessible in the area.

I would reckon Amouage Dia for Men could be a good choice.
    So would be Creed Selection Verte or Creed Green Valley.
    Chanel Sycomore can also be considered as vetivers work and bloom very well in the heat.

I have made these suggestions keeping in mind the acutely hot weather one can expect in December in Australia.

Ofcourse the best approach to choose one is to sample as many of the scents that have been mentioned and then choose one that works the best on your skin.

+1 to Vetiver from the wardrobe you have right now.

I would also suggest that you try Chanel no. 19, a beautiful green, romantic floral scent. Young, fresh and perfect for a garden reception, but still formal enough for a wedding.

Congratulations Mondrian!

DustB has pretty much nailed it for you I think - Guerlain Vetiver will not let you down - understated, full of class and it will last all day. Perfect for hot weather too. Maybe a change to YSL M7 for the night-time celebrations!

Hope you have a great day.

Curve Kicks

(just a joke)

Try any of the Creeds, Chanels, ect.. A good place to start.
    Last edited by G Man; 28th May 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Congratulations on your marriage - Would like to suggest Rive Gauche or Bond 9 Riverside Drive for the ceremony then Mazzolari Lui for the evening.
    Last edited by SoGent; 28th May 2010 at 11:48 AM.

First of all, congrats. Getting married is a good thing. My marriage and subsequent 2 daughters have made me a better man.

What we did...we had a Fall wedding..here in the US, so it was cooler in Houston. We went together and tried things out. At the time, 2006, Burberry London had just been introduced and she loved it. I wore it for the first time that night and then all honeymoon in Italy..where there were cold nights. When I wear it today I get flashbacks and she goes giddy. Picking it out together would be something special and something that will trigger memories.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

First of all, congrats. Getting married is a good thing. My marriage and subsequent 2 daughters have made me a better man.

What we did...we had a Fall wedding..here in the US, so it was cooler in Houston. We went together and tried things out. At the time, 2006, Burberry London had just been introduced and she loved it. I wore it for the first time that night and then all honeymoon in Italy..where there were cold nights. When I wear it today I get flashbacks and she goes giddy. Picking it out together would be something special and something that will trigger memories.

If you want something new I'd definitely go together. I like this idea because it is new and can trigger the memories. If you want to stick with wardrobe I like Versace PH from what you have listed.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan