Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A recap of my fragrant trip to Neiman Marcus today.

My friend and I had to do a few errands at the Orlando Mall, so we went to Neiman marcus for the first time.

The first thing that I saw was Clive Christian perfume scattering the whole place like it was a child area at a doctor's office. I sampled "X" and was not impressed, but kept the sample and moved on.

Next was the MASSIVE Creed counter. I sampled many of them, but was largely unimpressed with the majority them. I smelled Silver Mountain Water and was shocked at how similar it was to Sean John's I AM KING, which I don't really like. I was actually sort of impressed by Royal Oud, though I couldn't really detect any agarwood. It was nice, but not really unique. The one that I was actually really impressed with was a huge surprise to me: Green Irish Tweed. It has an AMAZING opening. It's so fresh and green, like fresh cut lawns in rolling hillsides after the rain. It then got a cool water vibe, and dried down positively identical to Coty's $5 a bottle Aspen. It had a great opening, but the drydown just wasn't good enough for me. It was, however, the only aquatic I've ever enjoyed so far, so I guess that speaks about its quality.

Unimpressed, I moved on to search for the Guerlain counter. I passed by another table containing creed's entire line again, but couldn't find much else. Then I found it. They ONLY had: Shalimar, Shalimar P.I., Samsara, Jardins de Bagatelle, Chamade, Eau de fleurs de cedrat, Eau de Cologne Imperiale, Mitsouko, and L'Heure Bleue. I was pretty let down that they didn't have Jicky, but sampled L'Heure Bleue, something I've never sampled before.

OH MY GOD.

It was so beautiful. I could never have guessed it would have smelled so wonderful. I smelled that strip continuously while two SAs tried to sell me some Atelier Cologne (which was wonderful, by the way). I declined, knowing I was going to buy Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur in a couple of days. I feel sort of bad; the lady really thought she had me on the hook, and looked quite baffled that I didn't buy some, wonderful though the gift set was.

The last stop was Hermes: Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Un Jardin Sur le Toit. Wow, are these really brilliant fragrances. They're sparkly, refreshing, but absolutely not clean. They're more like fresh grass and laying in the dirt. I'm likely going to buy both, since I lack good summer scents and these were magnificent.

I then sprayed some aventus on myself as an experiment as I was leaving. 1 spray on the neck, 1/2 spray to each elbow.

The final verdict, after smelling the strips later and throughout their development?

I'm totally going to be getting L'Heure Bleue and the Jardins. They were positively amazing, and I can see myself wearing them very often.

Aventus, on the other hand, was horrendously strong. It lasted forever, too. The only problem was that the smell it produced wasn't particularly interesting. It was a boring woody incensey club smell. It was very safe and actually started to smell cheap the longer it was on me. Thank god it came off in the shower.

Default Re: A recap of my fragrant trip to Neiman Marcus today.

Sounds like you had a very fulfilling fragrance day!

Post Thanks / Like

Ackkkkkkkkkkkk... Choking here.

"cool water vibe?!?!?!"

SMW smells like I Am King....

Dude, those two Scent's were rip offs of Creed. Like 'em...hate 'em. I don't care. But don't come in with smells "just like I Am King."

Oy vey!

Post Thanks / Like

L'Heure Bleue is the correct answer

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised you didn't like Silver Mountain Water. That's my all time most favorite fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

"cool water vibe?!?!?!"

Dude, those two Scent's were rip offs of Creed. Like 'em...hate 'em. I don't care. But don't come in with smells "just like I Am King."

Oy vey!
    +1 ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    L'Heure Bleue is the correct answer
    I adore it. I have to go back because we forgot something and I'll probably be bathing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

"cool water vibe?!?!?!"

Oy vey!
    Oh, I'm totally aware. I was just surprised at how incredibly good they were at ripping off Silver Mountain Water, that's all. When your fragrance can get ripped off well and sold for $20 a pop, you're in trouble.

As far as Cool Water, that whole thing has been beaten to death, and yes, they do smell so similar that it's hard to shake. I know cool water really well from my father, and I can smell it being sprayed from many meters away. That happened at a Walgreens recently, actually. But I loved Green Irish Tweed! The opening was sublime. The drydown was just too evocative of those awful early 90s memories. It reminded me of fishing.

Just wait until Sean John starts doing quality copies of Clive Christian fragrances.

L'Heure Bleue is a scent that never softens on me, alas. Anisic flowers seem to always sit 'on' my skin.

It does sound like you have fun. Some day I shall smell this controversial Creed line. I have been taking notes on outrageous things to remark and compare them to when I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    L'Heure Bleue is a scent that never softens on me, alas. Anisic flowers seem to always sit 'on' my skin.

It does sound like you have fun. Some day I shall smell this controversial Creed line. I have been taking notes on outrageous things to remark and compare them to when I do.
    I wish there was a Creed SA there so I could have mentioned the comparisons.

They smell very natural and simple, but I'm not really that impressed by anything current from Creed, it seems (other than GIT).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aspen is my SOTD, and it in no way remotely resembles the drydown of Green Irish Tweed. BUT, it is one of my favorite fresh fougeres and I enjoy wearing it as much as Green Irish Tweed. The main differences in their drydowns is in the ingredients - Aspen deals with pine sap, light fruits, and violet leaf notes, all kind of cheaply-rendered, although to its credit they're arranged well and the scent doesn't generally smell "cheap." Green Irish Tweed, however, smells extremely expensive. The sandalwood, violet leaf, and ambergris is very distinct, very smooth and rich. Nothing else is quite like it.

I'm lukewarm on Silver Mountain Water. I liked an earlier batch that had an excess of green and black tea notes, which made it smell very rich and pithy. Then I tried a more recent batch, and the tea was dialed back. There was an overdose of lemon and berry notes. Kind of disappointing.

Wondering if the OP can expound on Clive Christian's X. I'm not really going to buy it or wear it, but I'm curious.

Sounds like You had a very interesting time!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Aspen is my SOTD, and it in no way remotely resembles the drydown of Green Irish Tweed. BUT, it is one of my favorite fresh fougeres and I enjoy wearing it as much as Green Irish Tweed. The main differences in their drydowns is in the ingredients - Aspen deals with pine sap, light fruits, and violet leaf notes, all kind of cheaply-rendered, although to its credit they're arranged well and the scent doesn't generally smell "cheap." Green Irish Tweed, however, smells extremely expensive. The sandalwood, violet leaf, and ambergris is very distinct, very smooth and rich. Nothing else is quite like it.

I'm lukewarm on Silver Mountain Water. I liked an earlier batch that had an excess of green and black tea notes, which made it smell very rich and pithy. Then I tried a more recent batch, and the tea was dialed back. There was an overdose of lemon and berry notes. Kind of disappointing.

Wondering if the OP can expound on Clive Christian's X. I'm not really going to buy it or wear it, but I'm curious.
    It evaporated completely off the strip by the time I got to smelling it again. All I remember in the opening was strong wood with a sweet & sour sauce vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, even if this post of mine is rather belated,
    I am truly impressed and grateful at the sheer variety, tastefulness and versatility of the spectrum of scents covered

My congratulations!