Code of Conduct

Question Vive les 30ml/1 oz bottles!

One oz./30 ml bottles are a nice way to buy scent. It's economical for those who don't want to buy the 50/75/100 ml bottles. They are also great for travel.

Do you have these small gems? What are your thoughts on these? (sigh) I wish some of my pricier favs came in the 30ml...

I have these in the 30 ml size:

Infusion d'Iris, Prada
    Anglomania, Vivienne Westwood
    24, Faubourg EDP, Hermes
    The Dreamer, Versace
    Stella EDP, Stella McCartney
    Caleche Eau Delicate EDT, Hermes

I usu. carry small 3-4 decanter sprayer/rollerballs (in a 3-4 ml size) with me..and they will fit neatly into a cigar case...
    Last edited by Primrose; 28th May 2010 at 05:48 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Vive les 30ml/1 oz bottles!

One of the things I love about Parfums de Nicolai is that the scents are readily available in (cheap-looking, ugly) 1-oz. bottles!

Basenotes Plus

VIVE indeed!
    For me, 30 ml is a plentiful supply of some scents; I also wish some of my pricier faves came in that size.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 30th May 2010 at 03:10 AM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

30ml is a great size. I bought a bottle of New York a couple of years ago. Then I decided I was afraid of running out so I bought 100ml. Needless to say the 30ml bottle isn't nearly empty yet...

I buy a lot of the 5 to 7 ml minis -- if you rotate fragrances a lot and aren't a heavy applier, even that amount will last well over a year. The only thing that kills me is that they're splashes, and I'd rather spray. 5 to10 ml purse atomizers, please!

L'Occitane do 20ml atomisers, which is plenty! I too wish more fragrances came in smaller/travel sizes.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

30 ml bottles are generally more expensive for 1 ml... For trying i prefer buy decant .
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 28th May 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Bigger bottles are cheaper per ounce, but if you won't ever use the whole 100 ml up, it's not really a bargain.

A signature-scent person is definitely better off with the biggest bottle he can find.
    Last edited by Thalia; 28th May 2010 at 07:35 PM.

I agree! Even though 30 ml are usually much more expensive per ml, I tend yo buy them.
    I feel I can buy more smaller size fragrances than 100 ml, because I'll never use up all of it anyway. I only have 1 out of 10 bottles 100 ml, the rest are 50, 30 or smaller. I think minis are too small, esp. because they rarely have spray.

Its funny how some SAs calls them "travel size" though.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nausicaš View Post
    I agree! Even though 30 ml are usually much more expensive per ml, I tend yo buy them.
    I feel I can buy more smaller size fragrances than 100 ml, because I'll never use up all of it anyway. I only have 1 out of 10 bottles 100 ml, the rest are 50, 30 or smaller. I think minis are too small, esp. because they rarely have spray.

Its funny how some SAs calls them "travel size" though.
    I think it is a good way to buy when you are on a budget. I also like to buy the real "purse sprays," like those offered by Prada, D&G and even Chanel. These are usu. in nice sprayers with about .33 oz in each little bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

What I like about a mini is that it's enough perfume to really live with it for a while and decide whether you love it upon repeated wearings, in different weather, etc., while still being a very small cash outlay. If you actually use up a mini (and I haven't finished one yet!), then you KNOW this is something that you will love enough to invest in a full bottle.

I just wish they were sprays. I will say that I find a mini splash much easier to handle than a sample in a skinny vial -- I'm afraid to put those down between dabs, I'm sure they'll tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I just wish they were sprays. I will say that I find a mini splash much easier to handle than a sample in a skinny vial -- I'm afraid to put those down between dabs, I'm sure they'll tip over.
    Have you considered decanting them into an atomizer?

I love the 30 ml sizes I used to only buy 50 ml before,but as my collection started to grow I now prefer 30 ml(or 35) if I can have a choice. I have 30/35 ml in Aromatics Elexir, Coco,Firewood/Feu de bois,Gaultier2,LTBL,Madame x,Midnight Violet,Miss Dior, Moss de chene,Nag Champa,# 19,Nu,Pleasures, Prada Infusion d'iris and Samsara.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 28th May 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I would love to buy smaller sized bottles but then I think about how much more I am spending per ml . Silly I know. I even think that about decants...........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    Have you considered decanting them into an atomizer?
    That's what I do... works very well.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Reviving this to ask a pointed question:

If the price per ml. were the same, would you buy 30 ml or 50 ml?

I would definitely buy 30ml bottles if were only 60% of the price of 50ml. OTOH, I would probably end up buying six bottles of everything
    Last edited by sean-dt; 8th January 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    If the price per ml. were the same, would you buy 30 ml or 50 ml?
    30 ml in this case, I guess.
    But then, maybe not.
    It is all about knowing that when you're buying, it may be the last chance as the fragrance can become discontinued, reformulated, etc.

50ml its nice, the bottle looks pretty without sound like a mini, and the price per oz is reasonable

Blog Entries

I have 30ml bottles of Stella, Stella Rose Absolute, Alien, Sun Moon Stars, My Queen, Tuberose Gardenia & Samsara. For the most part l find this size is perfect if you're not a collector, but have lots of scents that you intend to use up. Having said that, l recently bought a 100ml back-up bottle of Samsara because l'm using it up quite quickly! Otherwise the only ones l have 100mls or more of are Sheer Stella, because it only comes in that size & is so light it can be sprayed with abandon, & Virgin lsland Water, because it was a bargain!
    l like minis & purse sprays also & have several of these. The 4ml mini of Amber Ylang Ylang comes with a spray & is great for carrying around, l wish all minis were like that. l'm waiting for some atomisers l ordered to arrive though, so l will soon be decanting a few things.
    At the moment l'm lemming for some Profumi del Forte Ambra Mediterranea, which is crazily expensive & only comes in 100ml bottles. Even the price of decants from TPC is ridiculous. So yes l'm wishing everything could come in 30ml bottles right now!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    One of the things I love about Parfums de Nicolai is that the scents are readily available in (cheap-looking, ugly) 1-oz. bottles!
    I agree. Although I don't really care what they look like.

I like the ones that Fresh has also.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th January 2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread