Code of Conduct

Default Japanese green tea scent?

I've been trying out tea scents for a while, and while I like the black tea note in Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, I haven't found a green tea scent I like. I think my main problem is that when it comes to green tea, I prefer the dry, slightly bitter Japanese green tea to the sweet, floral Chinese teas.

I've tried Bvlgari's eau de The Vert, CdG Calamus and L'artisan The pour un ete, but they are either too sweet or floral. I've run out of ideas, so I'm hoping someone could point me to other fragrances to try.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Japanese green tea scent?

Try Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès. My wife swears it smells like tea-ceremony green tea - it's the primary note she gets, even more than the rose. It isn't sweet, either, IMO. I had applied it very heavily when she noticed this, and she made the observation not even knowing what I was wearing, so I think it's valid. I had always wondered what the "other" thing was in the composition that I couldn't place.

Argh! I was just at the Hermes boutique and didn't try Rose Ikebana! I assumed that it was a rose fragrance and so I picked Osmanthe Yunnan instead, which again did not fit the profile. Looks like I'll have to go back soon and try it out!

The pour un ete by L'artisan parfumeur smells a lot like jasmine flavoured green tea. Unfortunately the realistic green tea notes burns off within half an hour and you end up left with a green and leafy jasmine (which is still very enjoyable though).

Edit: I just came back to check on this thread and realized you've already tried The pour un Ete. Doy! Maybe I should read the original post properly from now on :s

I guess if you're looking for something more bitter and less floral, you might like Silver Mountain Water (it's bitter and fruity, but not very floral, with a green tea note) and Bulgari's Eau de The Vert Extreme (it's sharper, more bitter and less floral than the original).
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 29th May 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    Sales thread here

I've had more than one Japanese person tell me L'Artisan's Piment Brûlant smells exactly like green tea. I don't get that myself, though.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

I know what you mean, the japanese green tea I'm familiar with has a slightly roasted scent to it, that makes it very distinctive.

Try Jade by Olivier Durbano.

L'Occitane Green Tea

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I know what you mean, the japanese green tea I'm familiar with has a slightly roasted scent to it, that makes it very distinctive.

Try Jade by Olivier Durbano.
    Oooh! Yeah, there's that light roasted taste to the tea, but not the overpowering smoky lapsang suchong. Gosh, I'd never tried Olivier Durbano though... cool! New house to try!