Code of Conduct

Default Un Jardin en Méditerranée color?

I bought a bottle of UJeM from Beauty Encounter in '05 0r '06.
    But because i have so many fragrances, i only wear it once in awhile.

I wore it today and noticed the juice is a reddish brown/light burnt orange color.
    Now i can't remember if its always been that color. Its hard to tell from the pics online.
    Also, because i wear it so infrequently, i'm not sure if it smells any different than it used to.
    Can someone who has a newer bottle please tell me if its more than likely changed colors or not?
    Thanks.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Un Jardin en Méditerranée color?

It's a known issue. See this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/220387

It seems Hermes was to re-formulate the fragrance coloring to prevent this. Whether or not this has happened I cannot say.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    It's a known issue. See this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/220387

It seems Hermes was to re-formulate the fragrance coloring to prevent this. Whether or not this has happened I cannot say.
    Thanks so much.
    I missed that thread somehow.

Default Re: Jardin en Mediterranee - What colour's your juice?

"The saga has reached its conclusion. The replacement bottle arrived.
    The colour is completely different from my old one. The palest straw colour.
    But the real shock was the difference in the scent itself. The fresh bottle's fragrance is so light and ethereal. I get the orange blossom and citrus that I don't remember from my 'problem' bottle. It's a completely different fragrance. By comparison, the old one smelled like fig jam--very sweet and cloying--even though I enjoyed it. The fig in the fresh one takes the back stage to the top notes and is completely delightful. It evolves beautifully over time with various notes weaving in and out of each other. I can tell this is something from the imagination of Ellena. I had trouble believing my old bottle was one of his creations.

So, the lesson. Not all fragrances deteriorate remarkably over time, but this one certainly does. Do not purchase it unless you are absolutely certain of its age and provenance!"

I really want to try the fresh stuff now!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

This is fascinating - a case of a fragile fragrance which NEEDS reformulation to see the perfumer's hand at work. Could it be that, in this case, admission in the perfumista world of both the issue and its resolution would increase sales? I'm sure that discussion of "brown juice bottles" has scared many of us away from this remarkable scent. A stabilizing reformulation would be welcome, IMO.

Something strange...

yesterday, I pulled out the box containing my bottle of Un Jardin En Mediterranée. When I removed the bottle, I was shocked to discover that despite storing it in its box in a dry, dark, cool space-- the color of the juice had indeed changed since the last time I looked at it. Previously, it was a light bluish/greenish/ yellow color;now it's more of a dark golden brown. I can't remember the last time I had looked at the juice, but it was like it was fine for a long time and then suddenly shifted colors-- it didn't seem to be a gradual shift..

Now for the really odd thing. A while back, I was tinkering with some of my DIY scents and was trying to make a clone of Un Jardin En Mediterranée-- I made four different variations, I think. The first was similar to the target, the second was much closer to the target, and then the third and fourth were intentionally different, going beyond the target in more original directions. A while back I made a small bottle of the second incarnation and gave it to my mom as a gift. I was dismayed to see recently that the juice had gone off and changed color. I assumed that it was because I bottled it in a dab bottle with an applicator, instead of a spray bottle. I assumed that the biggest reason was exposure to air, which could be likely-- still, I wonder if there are some common ingredients in Jardin and in my knock-offs of it that are reacting with each other to cause color changes.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know UJEM changed color. OMG, how embarrassing to Hermes PR that little mishap must've been.