Code of Conduct

Default Packaging and the sales price...

I am a huge fan of Guerlain, but I think when one spends more than $200 on a fragrance, part of the mystique of perfume is the bottle, n'est ce pas?

Sadly, Guerlain released Les Voyages Olfacifs in three scents inspired by Paris and three other great cities: New York, Tokyo and Moscou.

I can't get over the fact that the bottles look like face make-up remover/skin astingent bottles from Clinique.

Sorry, I will stick to my Shalimar and Jicky. Nice scents AND nice bottles.

Compare if you will and judge for yourself:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...stid%253D19031

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...stid%253D19216
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th May 2010 at 07:45 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Packaging and the sales price...

Oh yes, these look like somtething directed towards "the crowd". Who wants something fashionable and designed, not "old fashioned". I've seen some ugly guerlain bottles of this kind before - with pink with hearts and such, and it seems like it's not something that stays on the marked.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Blog Entries

I completely agree that for high cost the bottle should be part of the "luxury experience". Cologne du 68 is a good example of classy juice in a dime store bottle as well as the new cheap bat bottle in which, Shalimar now is merchandised. Kind of like a Rolls engine in a Yugo chasis.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 30th May 2010 at 09:50 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Goodness, Primrose, that is one unexciting bottle for that sort of money!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th May 2010 at 10:09 PM.

They do look somewhat plain, however the photos jrd4t took for his blog made it look rather beautiful I thought. I really like the brushed metal cap. What I wouldn't like is that you apparently have to choose whether you will have the atomizer or the cap attached. You can't use the cap over the atomizer.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Some people feel the bee bottle looks too busy, or ornate, though I like it. Shalimar's 'batman' bottle isn't exactly a crowd favorite either. But if they can design an elegant looking bottle for Idylle I don't quite understand why they must go 'Clinique' on this range. Even one with clean lines like SDV looks much better imo. But the brushed metal cap is neat. Reminds me of Sisley bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I completely agree that for high cost the bottle should be part of the "luxury experience". Cologne du 68 is a good example of classy juice in a dime store bottle as well as the new cheap bat bottle in which, Shalimar now is merchandised. Kind of like a Rolls engine in a Yugo chasis.
    ROTFL! That's funny...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am a huge fan of Guerlain, but I think when one spends more than $200 on a fragrance, part of the mystique of perfume is the bottle, n'est ce pas?
    I agree that the bottle is very un-Guerlain, especially considering the ad copy fluff about tradition and exploration.

As for price, the link you posted is for an 8.2 oz bottle--which works out to just under a dollar ($225.00) per mL (245 mL), par for the cheaper Guerlains.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I totally agree ! Horrible bottles .I saw them on my travels at Neiman marcus in Palo Alto .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think the reason Guerlain has turned to this stripped-down, streamlined style (also for the l'Art et la MatiŤre line) is because they want to go after the niche customer, with provocative scents in simple bottles (paging Serge Lutens, anyone?)

I have to say that I really don't think this is a good strategy for Guerlain. The scents have NOT been very impressive and probably aren't going to fool the niche-lovers, but at the same time it alienates Guerlain's fan base (those of us who would take to the streets if they ruined Mitsouko or Chamade, and who'd sell our souls for a re-release of Djedi). With Guerlain, customers WANT the costumey bottles, the glamour and timeless romance of it all. You don't want something that looks like bottles of contact lens solution.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by granola357 View Post
    I think the reason Guerlain has turned to this stripped-down, streamlined style (also for the l'Art et la MatiŤre line) is because they want to go after the niche customer, with provocative scents in simple bottles (paging Serge Lutens, anyone?)

I have to say that I really don't think this is a good strategy for Guerlain. The scents have NOT been very impressive and probably aren't going to fool the niche-lovers, but at the same time it alienates Guerlain's fan base (those of us who would take to the streets if they ruined Mitsouko or Chamade, and who'd sell our souls for a re-release of Djedi). With Guerlain, customers WANT the costumey bottles, the glamour and timeless romance of it all. You don't want something that looks like bottles of contact lens solution.
    Granola- very well put. I think Guerlain needs to look at their customers' taste preferences well- like you said- we love our costumey bottles- it's in character with Guerlain,its history,'personality' too. They have their 'own' house style - why change it to be a Serge Lutens etc ?
    A case of the 'wanna be' .
    Guerlain is about opulence ,baroque ,romance, their perfume stories , not minimalism, IMHO.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st June 2010 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Guerlain is about opulence ,baroque ,romance, their perfume stories , not minimalism, IMHO.
    Agreed. These bottles are dreadful, and look ten-a-penny.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I'd like to add this bottle to the ones discussed. This looks cheap.

http://www.parfum1.com/eau-dynamisan...p?itm=EAUDYN34

Basenotes Institution

True Primrose- it's cheapy looking but I can forgive Clarins because Eau Dynamisante is a Clarins classic and not 'so' expensive compared to others.
    I also find Cinnabar by EL 's packaging quite cheapo - shame.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st June 2010 at 04:35 PM.

Again, Mimi, nice juice with poor packaging. The red bottle looks like a Valentine's Day party favour bubble blower for children.