Code of Conduct

Default My 'Skin Scent Type' Consultation -Very Fun!

While in Boulder on the first weekend to break ninety degrees, I decided to book the ‘Smell and Tell’ consultation offered by Parfums des Beaux Arts, the brick and mortar outlet for DSH perfumes.

When I arrived the door was opened, and Dawn greeted me warmly while wearing a white hobo shirt, blue jeans, and no makeup. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire and answer such questions like “am I a vegetarian”, “do I smoke”, and “do I practice yoga or meditation.”

Then we began. Dawn has something called ‘DSH special formula X’, a clear liquid that she tapped onto the lower part of my arm until it dried. After a moment she sniffed the area and declared, “You are a combination of a woody/green.” I asked how common or uncommon this was. “It’s rare,” she said. “Most people are a shade of sweet, neutral, or musky.”

Musky skin types, I learned, tend to amplify all scents; especially those with stronger base notes. Woody skin types make scents less sweet; neutrals can wear anything but it tends to wear flat; and greens bring out the freshness and sharpness of a composition.

“You shouldn’t wear fruity scents,” she told me. This I already knew. Roses are OK for me if they are paired with patchouli, green notes or pepper; but coriander and cinnamon are out.

She then selected twenty fragrances to smell on paper. I separated them into ‘no’, ‘maybe’, and ‘oh YES’ piles. In between fragrances we chatted about IFRA (American niche houses can use as much oak moss as they’d like, thankfully), how perfume can project, balance or offset moods, and what inspires her creations (movies, paintings and emotions). We suffered a brief interruption when a glass perfume bottle burst unexpectedly behind us, a result of the overly warm room working on the volatile contents kept under pressure.

Once the spilled perfume was cleaned up we turned our attention to the seven bottles in my ‘yes’ pile. Dawn applied these to my skin and sniffed again, removing two because they weren’t right for me. From the remaining five I picked four to take home as samples. Three of the four were green scents, which was not surprising considering my skin type!

The entire process took a little over an hour, but the results will last a life time. I now know why some fragrances sing on me, and others fall into the stink heap. Dawn and her assistant, Amber, are disarmingly charming, you will immediately feel comfortable and welcomed. I highly recommend this unique experience!

If you go: the consultation is $75, and comes with four samples. The location is in Boulder, so if you feel like showing up in your hiking boots and REI clothes you’ll feel right at home. Dawn’s shop is very ‘new ageish’, with each wall a different color. There is a pea green and aqua sofa in the waiting room that is covered with dark red pillows, various pastel paintings of nothing in particular hanging on the walls, and eclectic music playing from the speakers. If you are used to the upscale, formal experience of the traditional perfume houses this may be a shock to your system, but as long as you role with it you’ll be fine .
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: My 'Skin Scent Type' Consultation -Very Fun!

BayKat, thank you for your report! This sounds like a fascinating experience. Does she do group consultations? This could be fun for a small group of fragrance-minded friends!

Here's another question: Which of your current favorite fragrances are supported by the consultation results? And are there any that you might stop trying to wear, with your new knowledge about what works best on your skin?

Haunani- yes, she does group, but it would have to booked in advance. After hearing what was a big NO for me, I realized that none of them were in my perfume wardrobe (no strong clove, cinnamon, no fruity florals, etc). What I am now steering towards are more greens. i just bought Chamade, and am setting my sights on sampling more floral greens, after this analysis

BayKAT, that's so fascinating! I really want to take a road trip, now! I wonder what I am.... I have big problems with florals in general not lasting on me.

I just now stumbled upon this thread. What a fascinating experience you had, BayKAT -- and now of course you have tempted us all into wanting said experience for ourselves.

(Confession time: As I read your post I kept trying to categorize myself. To no avail.)

Leesee- I took a peek at your wardrobe, because of the vetiver/hay heavy scents you are probably not a green. i see you are also carrying une fleur de cassie, acosiosa, and some other heavy white florals, so this makes me think you dip into the woody category (this skin type causes heavy florals to 'sink', not be so strong)

you could also be slightly neutral, because you are drawn to Tauer, ormonde jayne, etc, and these lines are big nos for me because they get too stinky/harsh. Neutrality would flatten this out a bit.

Maybe some day you can confirm!

Basenotes Plus

BayKat, so which of Dawn's scents did you take home as samples?

I've done her skin test at home & am a neutral skin type. How fortunate you are to have been able to have the one on one consultation! Dawn is a real sweetheart!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hi RHM :-) Celadon, Route D'iris, Songbird (her new one- this is probably my fave of her whole line), and Amber.
    Others I liked were a Rose Chypre (can't remember the name now), and minuit (a chypre)

It sounds like tons of fun, thanks for a great read!
    75 $ doesn't seem like a lot of money for a service like that. I'd have to add the air fare from Europe, so it does start to add up
    Last edited by furrypine; 31st May 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Leesee-

Maybe some day you can confirm!
    I hope so! I have been researching flights to Denver today. I might actually do this! In the meantime, thank you for perusing my wardrobe and helping me "type" myself.

Basenotes Plus

Route d'Iris is a favorite of mine & my sisters' signature amber is Dawn's Ambra edp.
    Celedon is exceedingly green. I wonder if the "rose chypre" was her Dirty Rose?
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

What a great report and what a great thing to do! Enjoyed reading your story. I should have done this when I was in Boulder. Instead, I just smelled a bunch of stuff and brought samples home.

Nice stuff BayKAT! I intend to go to Colorado sometime this summer to visit family, and may make a point of going to Boulder for a day to have this done.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

What fun and an interesting post BayKat ! I am also SO glad to hear american niche perfumers can load up on oakmoss in the perfumes- a comforting thought. Now to check out her website !!!!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think you can buy that Formula X spray and do it yourself, although we don't know what to do next and which smells go with what types of perfumes. Thank you Baykat. Enjoyed hearing of your experience there at Dawn H.'s perfume shop. I'd like to read up on this although I know already what scents I like. Can you still enjoy the scents that are not matched up to your skin? Was wondering about that.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Eliza, RE: Can you enjoy scents that don't match your type. I think the answer is 'it depends on how the note is handled.' For example, ourmands are a big no for me, but i enjoy Black Orchid in moderation. yes, i can detect the chocolate, and sometimes it is too sweet for me, but there is so much else going on that it's OK.

But when i look at those scents that soar on me, they all fit my skin chemistry - spring florals (Apres l'ondee), rose paired with patchouli/darker woods (Citizen Queen, N'aimez que moi), Greens (Chamade, Alpona), and the darker floral orientals. hehe.

Basenotes Plus

Fascinating! Is this somewhat similar to a skin pH test?

Diamond- ha! it sounds like it. What she was doing was 'sniffing' out which notes predominated on my skin, and determined that I was more of the green/woody. My skin makes scents 'sharper', which is why I can't wear white florals without writing a caustic review. :-)

I wonder what type I am...peachy/apricot florals, orientals and chypres are my favorites .Omnia did a vanishing act ,AmorAmor was awful and the rose that is supposedly in Cabaret was a no show I got Valarian herb and PATCHOULI .If that says anything--any ideas?

Where do you buy Formula X ? How much is it?

Hi bookwyrmsmith, you'd have to check the website, dshperfumes (i'm not sre of the exact spelling)

Checked the site LOTS & LOTS of interesting perfumy stuff .Love that she's trying to help keep some vintage fragrances around even as a replica/reformulation.The test liquid Formula X is only $4 a sample vial + $6 shipping --Next payday an order goes in for sure!!