Code of Conduct

Default Mustang - Does this smell like REAL pipe tobacco?

I'm thinking of buying a bottle of Mustang blind. I see it in every Marshalls store, it's cheap, and it's gotten good reviews here. Plus I wouldn't mind having a fragrance in my wardrobe that smells like pipe tobacco. Does this really smell like pipe tobacco, or is it just a perfume equivalent of a pipe tobacco-like accord?

The only fragrance I have ever smelled that actually smelled like real pipe tobacco was the old Tabarome by Creed.

Default Re: Mustang - Does this smell like REAL pipe tobacco?

Is this the Mustang by Dorall? That one is a green bottle that looks like Polo by Ralph Lauren. If so, I'd call it a dry, leafy tobacco rather than a pipe tobacco kind of scent.

I think he's talking about the one based on Ford's Mustang, I think it retails for 25 or 35 but is always 12.99 at Marshall's. I too have been wanting to try this. They have a flanker called Mustang Blue which I got on sale for 4.99 @ Marshall's which had a nice opening, similar to Paris Hilton for Men, but anything after the first 2 minutes was horrible for me. A twisted chemical/chrome/papery/synthetic smelling mess, I even returned it for the low sale price. I never see the original Mustang open because it's packaged securely as if you were buying it from a drugstore. I too was considering this but the flanker was such a disappointment that I don't even know if I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's better to look for good deals on partial bottles listed on ebay than buy these kinds of frags, IMO. The Mustang I'm referring to is a pretty good Polo-like frag, but most of the "drug store" stuff seems to have ingredients that are just too low quality. If you find some frag that is being closed out, that's a different situation, but the stuff made for the "drug store" type market is usually not worth considering.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 31st May 2010 at 06:07 AM.

^^ True, but I've found some drugstore frags that smell like nothing else on the market like Blue Seduction, Antonio, and Spirit from Banderas.

I'm talking about the one Cologneist mentioned, the one in Marshalls with a clear bottle and metal box. It's gotten really strong reviews here. However, I'm curious about the tobacco smell.

If you're really big on tobacco, you might want to try Quorum, but that's really potent stuff.

I have a bottle of the Estée Lauder Mustang, which has a bit of tobacco in it, but the dominant notes are cedar and sandalwood. For me it comes across as a lightweight second cousin of Chanel Allure Homme. It actually puts Allure Homme Blanche and Allure Homme Sport to shame. It's easily the best of the "car brand" fragrances. Great value for the money.

I'm already a die-hard Quorum fan.

If Mustang has big sandalwood and cedar notes, I'm sold. I'm running out to Marshalls to buy a bottle.

Actually if you want a really great affordable and utterly sexy tobacco fragrance you will be hard pushed to find a better one than Bogart Homme. Unbelievably good for the price.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

For any price, the most authentic pipe tobacco scent is, hands down for me, By Killian's Back to Black.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I literally drove to my local Marshall's shortly after my last post, and bought a 1.7 of Mustang. This is a really good fragrance, though it's not even remotely original. Despite its lack of uniqueness, this is so well blended and smells so damn good, I actually don't even care. I smell a ton of cedarwood in this, along with some vanilla, but I don't smell any sandalwood at all unfortunately. I do smell the usual perfume "tobacco accord", but this accord does NOT smell like actual pipe tobacco. Despite this, I am still very happy with this purchase.

Yeah, Mustang is surprisingly good, but as stated earlier in the topic, don't let that fool you into getting Mustang Blue, which is awful trash. And this is coming from an aquatic lover!
    I refuse to sink.

I can't speak for Mustang BUT (here's the shameless plug) as a fellow PIPE tobacco fragrance seeker, I have tried the Creed Tabarome (most recent) to compare to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille:

Hands down, the Tom Ford wins. It is nearly my Holy Grail. I'm actually a little afraid to wear it in hotel non-smoking rooms for fear of being accused of smoking and having to fork out high dollar cleaning "fines" (don't worry though NOT an ashtray smell!) I will try all other PIPE suggestions submitted by others (thanks!).

Thanks Shamu, I think I'm gonna go get a bottle myself, I've been contemplating it for a while and like you I found the reviews to be unanimous but not enough info on the smell itself. I love cedar wood almost as much as I do sandalwood so I think a fragrance loaded with cedar should be right up my alley. I think I'll pick this up tomorrow and try it out and get back to this thread and maybe add my experience with it.

Keep in mind though Cologneist that even though there's a lot of cedar in it, Mustang is a pretty sweet fragrance. It's not dry like a lot of cedar-dominant frags.

It's nice to see more love for this unassuming gem! I like to call it a "gentle" pipe tobacco! It simply smells great! I also got hooked on this from previous reviews... glad I did!

Ya I just bought this today and don't really get any tobacco, leather or woods. Maybe a little wood but it doesn't smell like cedar or sandalwood. All together I'm not too impressed and kind of regret buying it. It smells pretty synthetic and kind of like a mix of Realities Graphite Blue and the opening to Guess Suede. I get more of a fruity smell than anything in the opening, then it settles more into a soapy or floral musk to me. My nose detects chemicals more than others usually, and I smell chemicals galore in here, though not nearly as bad as the flanker Blue. I smell this body odor like smell as it settles a little which doesn't go well for me. It doesn't really project either. Maybe in time it'll grow on me, but as for now I'm neutral.

Actually I'm gonna try returning this tomorrow, I opened it very neatly just in case I thought I may have to bring it back, I really like it less and less as it develops on my skin
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 2nd June 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Blog Entries

thank god i didnt blind buy this. i saw the thread and almost did. i LOVE the smell of unlit tobacco and i thought this might be a great, cheap fragrance with it in it.

so the verdict is its a no-go?

Mustang does have nice tobacco note but I wouldn't consider it "real". Bogart PH has a nice cherry pipe tobacco smell that's closer to "real" to my nose. And TF Tobacco Vanille smells more like tobacco leaf found in Dreamer. Mustang is still a nice scent for the price.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Well, try it for yourself.

Mustang is firmly in the Woody Oriental camp. I sensed sandalwood on the bottom, but the manufacturer's notes say "balsam fir, patchouli and amber".

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128291.html

http://www.fragrancenet.com/mustang-...mf/en_US/17931

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Ya I just bought this today and don't really get any tobacco, leather or woods. Maybe a little wood but it doesn't smell like cedar or sandalwood. All together I'm not too impressed and kind of regret buying it. It smells pretty synthetic and kind of like a mix of Realities Graphite Blue and the opening to Guess Suede. I get more of a fruity smell than anything in the opening, then it settles more into a soapy or floral musk to me. My nose detects chemicals more than others usually, and I smell chemicals galore in here, though not nearly as bad as the flanker Blue. I smell this body odor like smell as it settles a little which doesn't go well for me. It doesn't really project either. Maybe in time it'll grow on me, but as for now I'm neutral.

Actually I'm gonna try returning this tomorrow, I opened it very neatly just in case I thought I may have to bring it back, I really like it less and less as it develops on my skin
    Sorry to hear you didn't like Mustang. Hopefully Marshalls will accept the return. I wore it today and loved it.

I am planning on trying Vermeil or Vermeil White, I may go with White, I think it's a lighter scent from the little bit I've dug up on it, Vermeil has gotten good reviews as a big time tobacco scent. It's one of those frags that I always see and usually just overlook, but I always thinking about what it may be like. It may be something really great.

Um, guys?

I got a sample of cbihateperfumes' Pipe Tobacco Accord from TPC the other day... And yup. Real deal. REAL DEAL.

Just sayin'.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?