Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance lines that have disappointed/impressed you most?

After sampling the entire By Kilian line and a few of the Amouage offerings I was extremely disappointed. The only By Kilian I even slightly like was Liasions Dangereuse, and I had two separate people comment on how I smelled like a "rich, old woman" while wearing Cruel Intentions. I was shocked when the SA at Sak's told me they regularly sell the liter sizes of the line which are $2500 (who even needs a liter of ANY fragrance?). As for Amouage, ugh Gold Man was gag worthy and Jubilation made me smell like I work at a craft store. I must say that the niche line that pleasantly surprised me the most was Frederic Malle, I LOVED Vetiver Extraordinare and Geranium Pour Mounsieur.

Default Re: Fragrance lines that have disappointed/impressed you most?

I do impressed by Amouage, Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, MPG, Histoires de Parfums, Parfums MDCI, Chanel Exclusifs, Parfums de Nicolai.
    And disappointed list is Creed, Bond #9, Montale, some of Kilians, Tom Ford.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    After sampling the entire By Kilian line and a few of the Amouage offerings I was extremely disappointed.
    Exactly! When it comes to this amount of money, I now tend to get suspicious. I have never encountered a fragrance that would be worth double the 'big money' we already pay for most quality niche frags.
    I may add Annick Goutal (what uncharming frags!) and A. Tauer (simply not pleasant to my nose, although I like the notes for most frags).

I am impressed (quality, price-value) with Serge Lutens (although my likes/dislikes are 50/50), Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, Histoires de Parfums!!

i am impressed by creed, thierry mugler, jean paul gaultier

not impressed by serge lutens, versace, dolce and gabbana

Banned
    Blog Entries

Disappointed: Anything by Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren.

Impressed: Anything by Caron or Chanel.

i also like yves st laurant

As far as niche frag lines go. Tom Ford's Private collection has some pretty good stuff -- Noir de Noir being my favorite, Azuree Lime is very nice and so is Tobacco Vanille. Tuscan Leather is great for a real leather fan, Oud Wood smelled more chemical and similar to B*Men but without the coffee note, and some others I tried I didn't care for, but for the most part I'd say the private collection is above average. Grey Vetiver from his regular line is fantastic as well.

Miller Harris is a good underrated niche house as well. I've tried about 6 or 7 from that house and liked about 3 which is alright. My biggest complaint as that they all stay very close to the skin, but they also have fantastic longevity on every last one of them.

From the Diptyque house I've tried 4 -- Philosykos and Tam Dao are absolutely amazing fragrances. Not often do I say this and not often do I commend niche fragrance like I do them. Not to mention those 2 were outstanding and blew me away, which make me only wanna try more from them, which is a good sign.

Creed is pretty notorious on here for either being a love or hate house, I've only tried GIT and Acier Aluminum.. Acier was just ok to me, but GIT was wonderful. This is another house I'd like to eventually work my way through and see what's really good.

As for non-niche houses, I can go on and on for a while, but mostly praising more of the good houses than the bad. Very rarely does an entire house disappoint me or do I find everything from their lineup to be disgusting.

As they say, Diff'rent strokes... (with respect to Mr. Coleman, may he RIP).

I love Amouage (faves are XXV, Epic Woman, Lyric Man, Dia Man), Malle, Lutens, and Le Labo.

I'm very much not a fan of Creed; I own decants of SMW and Thé Rose Bulgare, think Windsor is great, but generally feel like the Emperor has no clothes there in general.

My collection is all over the place and for "everyday wear" (ie, less pricey) I like a lot of L'Artisan, Comme des Garcons, Annick Goutal, Chanel, Hermes, and lately I'm really digging Santa Maria Novella. I don't feel like any line deserves blind worship; I like what I like, and if Amouage disappoints some, that's cool. Consider it major money saved!

Respectable niche houses, imo: Amouage, MPG, Les Nez, Malle, Creed, AdP, Maison Francis Kurkdjian (hit and miss, but some goodies), Czech and Speake (great quality, even if the only frag of theirs that I want to own is Oxford & Cambridge)

Niche houses I do not care for: Montale, Escentric Molecules, Micallef (did a 180 on this house, used to really like them, now find most of their scents to be rather chemically and poorly blended),
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Most impressed niche house: Serge Lutens
    I haven't tried out most of the line, but of those I tried, they are either stella (Un Bois Vanille, Feminite du Bois, Musc Kublai Khan, Chergui, Chene) or good but not my cup of tea (Five O'Clock, Borneo 1834, Fleur d'Oranger).

Runner-up: The Different Company

Most impressed designer house: Guerlain
    L'Instant de Guerlain pH, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Habit Rouge, Vetiver....

Runner-up: Hermes

Disappointed: Creed, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, JPG&Mugler => synthetic food scent ! ; Byredo.

Love : Lutens, Malle, L'artisan, SMN, Villoresi, Pierre Guillaume (Parfumerie Générale), Diptyque, Goutal Guerlain, Caron and all the classics
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 31st May 2010 at 07:40 AM.

If I had to have a wardrobe consisting of fragrances all from one house, it would be Serge Lutens, hands down. I'm continually impressed by the line, despite the fact that there are quite a few I dislike or I'm indifferent to.

The one I'm most disappointed in is Creed. Not because it's the worst fragrance house - far from it, but despite its large fanbase, I can't seem to find a single Creed I really like. Of all the fragrance houses, it's the one with the most dissonance between reputation and my personal experience.

Basenotes Plus

Impressed - Creed, Caron, Lutens, Penhaligon's, Kurkdjian.

Disappointed - Montale, By Kilian, Comme des Garcons, Malle (Noir Epices excepted).
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 31st May 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The one I'm most disappointed in is Creed. Not because it's the worst fragrance house - far from it, but despite its large fanbase, I can't seem to find a single Creed I really like. Of all the fragrance houses, it's the one with the most dissonance between reputation and my personal experience.
    I feel the same way about Creed. I haven't tried the various exclusive/limited edition releases they made, but of those readily available, they all smell nice and wearable, like Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial or Tabarome Millesime, but they don't really push any envelopes to get me interested to continue trying them. The most 'offensive' scent I tried was Orange Spice, but even then, it's a lot less interesting than say Musc Kublai Khan.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Impressed by DIOR; CHANEL; GIVENCHY

Disappointed by BOSS; KLEIN; ARMANI

If I had to have a wardrobe consisting of fragrances all from one house, it would be Serge Lutens, hands down. I'm continually impressed by the line, despite the fact that there are quite a few I dislike or I'm indifferent to.

The one I'm most disappointed in is Creed. Not because it's the worst fragrance house - far from it, but despite its large fanbase, I can't seem to find a single Creed I really like. Of all the fragrance houses, it's the one with the most dissonance between reputation and my personal experience
    I have to say the Serge Lutens line has been very love/hate for me so far. I loved Chergui, Fumerie Turque and Borneo, but hated Daim Blonde, Gris Clair, Serge Noir and Santal de Mysore. As for Creed, I can see where you are coming from when you say that, I don't think I would ever pay retail for any of their offerings, I've been lucky enough to snag a brand new four ounce bottle of GIT and MI for a little over $90 apiece on ebay and if I continue to be able to get them at that price they'll definitely continue to be part of my wardrobe as I run out. I actually would love to try Windsor and Vintage Tabarome, but the price is what keeps me from doing so.
    Last edited by philmcphe; 31st May 2010 at 10:03 AM.

DeepSilence

Impressed: YvesSaintLaurent, Aramis, Gucci
    Disappointed: Hugo Boss, Calvin klein
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 31st May 2010 at 10:14 AM.

Most impressed would be Parfumerie Generale as for least , that would be L'Artisan Im sorry to say cause I want to love them

Impressed - Tom Ford, Guerlain, Chanel, YsL, Thierry Mugler, Frederic Malle, MPG

Not quite impressed - Caron, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Armani, Calvin Klein, Givenchy

disapointed: dyptique, bond#9, creed, parfumerie generale.
    impressed: SL, FM, hermes, bois 1920.
    Last edited by tuisquash; 2nd June 2010 at 02:05 AM.

L'Artisan works with me for some reason. I don't seem to have longevity problems that some seem to experience, and what they put out is consistently interesting. While a lot of the line are not something I would wear, Serge Lutens impresses me a lot.

Disappointments? Maybe Bond No. 9? Creed? It's hard for me to say because I haven't tried everything in the lines. I just haven't had good luck so far.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Impressive:
    Serge Lutens, Histoires de Parfums, Sonoma Scent Studio, Editions de Frederic Malle, Amouage, Dior, Chanel, Guerlain, Hermes, Givenchy, Bulgari, Thierry Mugler, Kenzo, Parfums MDCI, TDC, Robert Piguet

Interesting but not connecting personally with me somehow:
    CB I Hate Perfume, Bond No.9, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Annick Goutal, YSL

Jury's not out:
    Creed, By Kilian, Le Labo, Tom Ford, Gucci, Azzaro, Burberry, Issey Miyake, Aramis, Paul Smith, Lanvin, Lalique, Salvador Dali, Davidoff

Mostly disappointing:
    Ralph Lauren, Armani, Calvin Klein, D&G, Hugo Boss, Versace, JPG, Kenneth Cole, Nautica

Still on test list:
    PdN, Parfumerie Generale, Montale, Keiko Mecheri, Tauer, ELDO, CdG, DKNY, Heeley, etc.

Blog Entries

Thierry Mugler is like the holy grail fragrance house to me, JPG is pretty awesome too. Varvatos has some great fragrances, albeit not many have been made yet

Versace is really mediocre imo. i really want to test the dreamer to see if its worth the hype. theres alot that ive tested at Macys that just suck to me...

Impress:
    - Amouage
    - Frederic Malle
    - Montale
    - Serge Lutens
    - Tauer
    - Parfumerie Generale
    - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    - Yves Saint Laurent
    - Chanel

Unimpressed:
    - GUERLAIN !!!!
    - CdG
    - L'artisan
    - Mazzolari
    - Farmacia...
    - Czech and Speake
    - Armani
    - Calvin Klein
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 31st May 2010 at 03:24 PM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I've been impressed with Chanel, Caron, and Hermes. Chanels are just so beautifully well-done, they all seem to share a well-blended aspect that I think is great even though there are only a small handful I like to wear. I connected with quite a few Carons and Hermeses immediately; I just bought Kelly Caleche online, and I think the Un Jardin line is brilliant.

Not so much with Guerlain and L'Artisan. The more Guerlains I try, the more I see that this line is not for me. I do like to wear Mitsouko sometimes. As for L'Art, they are, with the exception of Dzongkha, far too fleeting.

I've also enjoyed what I've tried from Serge Lutens and Givenchy, but neither line as a whole really speak to me.

disappointed: Calvin Klein, Gucci, Guerlain

impressed: Yves Saint Laurent, Versace, Dior
    Last edited by AntonPan; 31st May 2010 at 04:12 PM.

AromiErotici

Impressed with Mazzolari and Sonoma Scent Studios

Unimpressed with DSH and Boadicea

Impressed by: Hermes, YSL, Guerlain, Chanel

Disappointed by: Hugo, Armani, Ralph Lauren, Givenchy

+1 Hermes too. Everything I've tried was above average for the most part. I love the natural/earthy feeling/smell they put into most of their frags.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    +1 Hermes too. Everything I've tried was above average for the most part. I love the natural/earthy feeling/smell they put into most of their frags.
    I'll have to second a +1 for Hermes too, I totally agree with you about them feeling so natural. Many fragrances have a hint of being synthetic or I can strongly smell the alcohol in them, but with many of the Hermes they smell like freshly picked plants someone stuck in a bottle, I love it!

Impressed: Creed, Nicolai, Amouage, YSL, Eau d`italie
    Unimpressed: Guerlain, Nasomatto, Serge Lutens

I'd wear just about anything from Yves Saint Laurent and Chanel, which I can't say about any other house under the sun. Yves Saint Laurent's older fragrances (Kouros, Opium, Rive Gauche, Jazz, et al.) are my Holy Grails, scents with personality and verve, and even their recent barrel-scrapers like L'Homme and Elle are at least pleasant and wearable. Chanel just bottles pure, velvet-lined, diamond-studded gorgeousness; if there is an afterlife, I'm sure it smells like Coco parfum. But like YSL, even their lesser offerings are solid.

I can't say I've been disappointed with an entire line, but then I've never smelled the hyped-to-the-heavens likes of Serge Lutens, By Killian, or L'Artisan. Disappointment implies that my hopes had been dashed, and I've never gotten my hopes up for Versace, Nautica, Calvin Klein, Lacoste, et al. If they make something that impresses me, bonus, but I smell their testers expecting little and am usually proven right.

I'm currently disappointed with Caron. Le troisieme homme and Yatagan haven't impressed me as I expected.

Impressed: Creed, YSL, Guerlain
    Disappointed: Aqua di Parma; L'Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post

Taste being highly subjective, I agree with Suga on this. Most Creeds disappoint me. Overall, I do not equate bottle price with quality or my enjoyment. I only own one Creed--Royal Delight.

On the other hand, I like most Guerlains and most from Parfum d'Empire. Price is not a basis for my interests and tastes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Most impressed:
    Parfum d' Empire (not only a good overall lineup but some really unique, flamboyant and sensual scents)
    Divine (elegance and understatement from an underrated/overlooked house)
    Lalique (you can find them anywhere and they smell like a thousand bucks)
    Eau d' italie (the subtlety of Duchaufourd with the notes amped to max, each fragrance is like a scenery)
    Le Labo ("take 'em or leave 'em" scents but with tons of creativity)
    Left me umimpressed:
    Amouage (either too strong and old-fashioned or just lesser Duchaufour creations)
    Creed (not an expert on this house but really not interested after what I smelled)
    Etat Libre d' Orange (OK, they sound interesting, the note lists read interesting, but in reality they give off an "old lady" vibe)
    EdP Frederique Male (not really bad or even uninteresting but the ones that have the biggest crowd are really very mainstream IMHO)
    Last edited by cpk; 1st June 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Off-Scenter

Impressed:

Chanel
    Pre-reformulation Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Amouage, since Chong took over
    Guerlain
    Dior
    Aramis
    Divine
    Mazzolari
    Malle
    Eau d'Italie
    Caron
    's masculines
    The Piguet re-launches
    Kenzo

Disappointed:

Hermès, since Elléna came on board
    Bond No. 9
    Burberry

Armani
    Le Labo
    Etat Libre d'Orange
    Humiecki & Graef

Dolce & Gabbana
    Profumum

I was, and still am, quite impressed with the quality of By Kilian, though I don't have desire to own any of them. I was pleasantly surprised when I first discovered Frederic Malle with its wearability.

Impressed:
    Amouage
    Creed (At First)
    L'Artisan (I greatly appreciate this line, and the wide array of genres it covers. None have BLOWN me away, but none have overly disappointed me, and I find it a perfect middle-of-the-road niche house, which isn't really a bad thing IMO.)
    Parfum d'Empire
    Serge Lutens
    Parfumerie Generale

Disappointed:
    Bond no. 9
    Guerlain (for the most part, though there are select gems)
    Czech and Speake
    Cereus
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

When I first got into this hobby, I thought Frederic Malle was a load of crap, except for Musc Ravageur. I now see things totally differently: While I still think Musc Ravageur is a fantastic fragrance, I'm much more blown away by the artistry of the other fragrances in the line.

According to my tastes (and not all will agree), I believe that Frederic Malle is probably the only fragrance house where each and every fragrance is a masterpiece.

In other words: (for me, that is)

Angeliques sous la Pluie: my most-worn fragrance
    Vetiver Extraordinaire = my favorite vetiver
    Bigarade Concentree = my favorite citrus
    Carnal Flower = my favorite tuberose
    Musc Ravageur = favorite musk
    En Passant = favorite lilac

..........etc etc

Not to mention that even the ones I don't absolutely love are incredibly unique and groundbreaking, like Geranium pour Monsieur and Noir Epices. Not to mention that due to the bottles all being the same, the sway of any particular fragrance's marketing is minimized.

Frederic Malle's artistic direction in combination with the selectively chosen perfumers involved, has resulted in something that just might save the fragrance industry from caving in on itself.
    Sales thread here

Frederic Malle without a doubt as a line.

I agree with what was said above by L'Aventurier and others. First and foremost I love and wear many of the scents, and can appreciate the ones that are not for me, but just as importantly I respect the fact that Mr. Malle is trying to push boundaries creatively and giving full acknowledgement to the individuals he works with. The look and feel of the whole design also resonates with me, personally.

Others I am impressed with (to date):

Amouage, Parfums de Nicolai, Maitre Parfumeurs et Gantier.
    Guerlain, Hermes & Chanel - altho I see them more as institutions than 'lines' with a higher hit or miss ratio due to more releases.
    So far I am also impressed by Histoires de Parfums but need to try more from this line.

I have desert island favourites from others but don't see that this is the place to endorse or pan a whole line based on a couple of items.

Disappointed by Bond - the whole exercise seems to be more about marketing and volume than actual creation - when I have tried their stuff (and that would be pretty well all of them) I feel more like a statistic from a certain demographic who will 'get this one because we know it worked when so and so did it' rather than an individual . . .

Impressed:

Robert Piguet's rereleased fragrances, which are of consistently high quality, priced appropriately, and available in parfum strength. The new Bandit is extraordinary, as is Futur, which is a throwback green chypre that belongs right up there with the greatest.

Disappointments:

Dior: Used to be great but they reformulate their classics like no one's business. Diorella and Dolce Vita have both been significantly weakened by reformulation and neither is available in anything stronger than EdT any longer.

Givenchy. I really feel like this house has gone downhill in the last decade. All they seem capable of doing is releasing the 123rd "Irrésistible" fragrance, none of which appear to be any good. I'm glad they brought back some classics, but they are way too expensive just to have in EdT. PLEASE bring back Givenchy III in the parfum!

Bond No 9: I still don't see what the fuss is about. Sure, it's exclusive, but I just haven't found the fragrances that interesting. I was particularly disappointed by Gramercy Park--it smelled really cheap. Chinatown gets a lot of press but I find it overpoweringly sweet.

Impressed:

Yves Saint Laurent - high quality daring scents that aren't expensive.
    Frederic Malle - unique daring scents that aren't too "weird"
    Bond No. 9 - long lasting and i like more of their offerings than any other house speaking exclusively.
    Christian Dior - Daring, always high quality and classy
    Lalique - smells really high quality and found almost anywhere
    Hermes - excellent high quality fragrances, I don't like a lot of them but, can't judge them based on that.
    Thierry Mugler - despute numerous flankers, most of the scents are daring, creative and very appealing
    Tom Ford - strong unique scents that are usually love/hate.
    Le Labo - creativity and high quality

Unimpressed:

Creed - mostly inoffensive scents that last 3 hours, not impressed overall. The 'natural' gimmick doesn't appeal to me.
    Amouage - too old fashioned
    By Kilian - too strong and little appeal
    Ralph Lauren - complete mediocrity
    Armani - overpriced, just above average
    Calvin Klein - not very good overall at all
    Montale too weird and strong
    Guerlain - nothing really impressed me, their history keeps them popular
    Versace - other than The Dreamer( which isn't that great) they're mediocre
    Burberry - other than London (which I love) nothing is really that great
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Impressed:
    Frederic Malle
    Hermes
    Chanel
    Humiecki & Graef
    Amouage
    Xerjoff
    Dior Colognes (Eau Noire and Bois d'argent)
    Unimpressed:
    Creed
    Profumum
    Armani
    Prada
    Last edited by megatropolis; 1st June 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Im the be$t @ thi$