Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sample Of The Day ~ May 2010

My first sample of this month is Penhaligon's English Fern.

Default Re: Sample Of The Day ~ May 2010

Bois de Cedrat by Creed

Oops, didn't remember we switched over months! Copying and pasting from last month's thread....

Oy Vey! This is a tough one to write about......

Tauer Orange Star
    I really like Andy Tauer, he's a genuine, kind man. But this fragrance, his newest release, is truly putrid. No putrid isn't a strong enough word (must go to the thesaurus), nidorous (there, that's better). This is really really bad. I'm almost at a loss for words. It's not the gruesome "who-the-hell would wear this" monstrosity that is Hilde Soliani Stecca, nor is it the intentionally grotesque sperm and blood of Secretions Magnifique, no it's a whole other ball park. It's where a combination of notes, that may have worked separately, come together to smell GOD AWFUL. Honestly, I could only last 5 minutes before it needed to get washed off, and then it STAYED. I really can't describe it, I didn't give it nearly enough time, but it was some grossly synthetic clementine, mixed with something chalky, and an uber resinous amber, with no finesse at all. Truly ghastly.

Edit: And it's nuclear strength, stinking up my whole sample bag!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

MTG, I've been avoiding Orange Star because of the notes. I've learned that hard way that I don't like orange with vanilla (creamsicle hell) or orange with amber (baby aspirin). Odd. But you've got to hand it to Tauer, he knows how to make a divisive scent...

Yesterday I test-wore Diptyque Olene.

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this Diptyque flower monster, but it slowly managed to seduce me. It kicked off with very indolic florals. At first, I thought tuberose, but it was more akin to jasmine, with that bubblegummy quality you get from jasmine absolute. Being Diptique, they couldn’t resist adding in a pinch of their signature orange and clove, which actually combined really well with the indolic flowers.

Given time, this weird but interesting mixture settled down into a much-quieter floral, a near-perfect rendition of wisteria blossoms. The Oakland library down the street from my job is dripping in wisteria vines, and I have to admit that I’ve been enjoying walking past it a bit too much for the last month or so, as the wisteria exploded into purple and white blooms, broadcasting its heady scent all over the neighborhood. Olene comes impressively close to capturing that smell (yes, I went to the library and smelled the flowers to compare…), though the real wisteria has a grapey element to it that Olene lacks.

All in all, I think Olene is a pretty awesome scent. If you like bigger florals or have a soft spot for wisteria, you should really check it out (Galamb, I’m talking to you…)

The very subtle clove mixing with the indoles in the topnotes makes it slightly less feminine than you’d expect, but Olene really is a big realistic floral scent, so don’t bother if you’re not comfortable in that type of thing.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Because I enjoyed yesterday’s Olene so much, today I decided to give a full wearing to another floral Diptyque I’d been putting off, Ofrésia.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I’d sprayed on some Ofrésia before on a shopping trip and found it more confusing than anything else. That’s because (as verified by today’s proper wearing), it’s absolutely not floral at all for the first few hours.

The top is an odd mix of indoles (but without the flowers – a rather odd occurrence) and that tomato leaf note from Hilde Solani’s infamous Stecca (which actually smells quite a bit like indoles itself). There’s some unobtrusive citrus in there, which goes a long way to keep the indole-fest from ever smelling simply gross. Later, in the heart, a lemony vetiver finds its way into focus, pairing off with the indolic tomato leaves.

And that’s Ofrésia for the first few hours: fresh vetiver mixed with upfront indolic tomato leaf.

Then, through some feat of magic, halfway through the day, the whole thing settles into a sort of green creamy flowery smell. I’m guessing that this is supposed to be the freesia that Ofrésia is named after, but I don’t know what the real thing is supposed to smell like.

As for pulling a complete magic act and totally changing from funky masculinity to creamy pretty florals, Ofrésia is pretty clever. But, honestly, you’d have to be a serious niche-fiend to really enjoy this, with the totally different top and base appealing to fans of completely divergent fragrance styles. So who would I recommend Ofrésia to? Really open-minded vetiver fans, or really green-friendly floral fans, I guess…

^^^ It's both, together, the aspirin AND orange creamsicle, bundled into fragrance hell.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I've began this month testing out Penhaligon's line. Blenheim Bouquet is my latest. This one and English Fern are both full-bottle-worthy to me.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Patchoulissime by Keiko Mecheri today. I woke up craving patchouli (something that rarely happens to me) and this sample decant jumped out at me. I haven't really warmed up to any KM scents, and honestly this one is nice but I can think of a handful of more exciting patchouli scents that I'd probably reach for first. If you like White Patchouli by Tom Ford and wanted something lighter this would be a good choice. Besides that, I cannot imagine buying a full bottle of this. And that bottle! Wow...it's positively Thierry-Mugler-esque. Looks like a purple faceted hand grenade.

Today I'm testing Penhaligon's Extract of Limes. It has an effervescent quality that reminds me of Pez candy.

Other than giving Kobe from Xerjoff a workout this morning, I tried my sample of Blue Opulent Shaik Collection - No. 77 for Men from Designer Shaik.
    Composition: Head: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Basil, Heart: Geranium, Clove Buds, Apple, Cinnamon, Base: Cedarwood, Patchouly, Oakmoss, Labdanum (Rockrose), Vanilla, Musk. This along with no.70 for men are excellent fragrances. They're not cheap, but you can tell they use quality ingrediants. The bottles and packaging look fantastic as well, but as long as what's inside is good, they can bottle them in anything for me hehe http://www.shaik.net/ and I'm pondering about purchasing both of these.

Thanks for the reviews of Olene and Ofresia, Rogalal. As it happens, I tried both last year in Miami.

Olene, to my nose, is a white-hot, neon-lit jasmine - simple, bright, but with an intriguing mushroomy undertone that prevents it being vapid. I remember walking around South Beach at night wearing this stuff. It really went with all the neon-lit buildings a loud music coming out of the clubs. I appreciate it when a fragrance matches the mood of my surroundings.

Ofresia is more interesting but has longevity problems on my skin; it develops quite quickly on me. After twenty minutes, at least in the heat I was in, the green turned to flowers much as you described, and then - vanished! I'm sorry to say this happens with a number of Diptyques I wish lasted longer on me, including the charming Virgilio.

Today I tried Vero Profumo's Rubj again, one more time before I send it to some other floral fiend. Orange flower, jasmine, tuberose - yeah, it sounds made for me, but in the end, me and Rubj are not a match. Rubj is potent and unique, but its just too clean, soapy, and puritan for my tastes.

This isn't to say that Rubj isn't fascinating and beautiful in its own way. The citrus top notes are very dry and tart; I smell petigrain, maybe bergamot and neroli in the background, but there's a very quick upwelling of florals and white musk that creates a balance through the top.

The heart itself is somewhat less appealing. Orange flower predominates, with some jasmine and tuberose there as supporting cast, but scrubbed of all dirt and indoles, of honey and decay. These are newly washed and still slightly sudsy flowers, and though pretty and very natura-smelling, don't provide much drama or interest for me. I don't dislike this smell at all, in fact, I smell it every day - it's a LOT like the body wash I use, Nivea Happy Time Orange Flower & Bamboo Milk. If you like Rubj, you need to find some; it's certainly cheap. Only the fascinating musk note makes Rubj unique, and after about four hours, one can experience it uncluttered by the pleasant but somewhat trite floral accord.

The musk itself is a note I simply have yet to encounter. All I can say is, whatever smell your mind is thinking of when it thinks "musk", this isn't it, yet musk is the closest analogy I can arrive at for whatever creates this accord. It's warm, yet super-clean, creamy, yet see-through transparent. All in all it's the most intriguing thing about Rubj, and what makes it a positive experience rather than an ambivalent one given my disappointment over the flowers.

After six hours, Rubj fades away quietly to a whispery skin scent. Rubj is good, but I fail to fall into the raptures that nearly everyone else who has tried it have succumbed to.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 5th May 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Craig, I have to admit I've never heard of Shaik. That website makes you wade through an awful lot of flash to get to any info, but they look interesting. Your list makes No. 77 sound like a completely traditional fougere chypre, except for that apple note. Does it smell like an 80's frag? Or more modernized and fruity?

Playing catch-up, a couple days ago I finally got around to testing Kenzo Power, largely thanks to ThGolfer's good review.

Power is definitely interesting. The top was a nice mix of ginger and lemon, with some aldehydes to make it sparkle like soda. From the couple I’ve smelled, it seems like Kenzo is good at taking aldehydes, long the symbol of feminine perfumes, and making them completely wearable by men.

Then, just to mess with gender lines a bit more, they put this sparkly soda over iris. The iris does what’s expected – it smells kind of bready and kind of like womens make-up. It’s not the unapologetic not-afraid-to-be-cheesy iris of Dior Homme – it’s more like a cleaned-up, non-powdery friendly iris that comes off just a bit spiced, like it was dusted with cinnamon or nutmeg.

Given time, the iris morphs into something that smells basically like hazelnuts.

The combination of the super-fresh ginger ale top and the iris/hazelnut heart is kind of odd, but in an interesting, wearable way.

Oh, and naturally, nothing I’ve mentioned here is listed in the notes. Of course…

Anyone else try this one? What do you smell?

Today I used up my sample of Mugler's Sunessence, and in the evening wore a sample of Azzaro Chrome Sport.

The Sunessence is a good summer version of A*Men. Fresher, not as deep, not as strong. I love the original a lot more though, I find the Sunessence to seem less edible.

The Chrome Sport got me a few compliments, but eh. It's a variation of Chrome and nothing more. Light, citrussy, aquatic, etc. Not a hard hitter but not bad either. Nothing I'd buy a bottle of.

Blog Entries

This last Christmas, a very generous BNer sent me a ton of Neil Morris samples, which I must admit that I've been a little wary of sampling. It's certainly not the scents - sniffing the samples, there are easily 2 or 3 that are right up my alley. It's actually that I know that Neil Morris is a member here, and he has many friends here, too. What if I don't like one of the scents? Even if I don't personally care for a scent that I sample, I try not to be a bitch about it, but I'm not going to rave about something I don't like just to be polite. Thankfully, I'm just some random nobody on the internet and I doubt anything I write could really make waves, so here goes...

That being said, I figured I'd start out with one I was almost sure to like, Neil Morris Cafe.

Cafe kicked off with a flurry of lavender over a burnt caramel patchouli. The creme brulee patchouli reminded me of another member's signature scent, Above by Fred Miller. While Above pretty much stayed linear in the burnt caramel patchouli vanilla combo, Cafe progressed more. Once the lavender brightness burned off, the coffee note came through more, paired with a sort of burnt smell that simultaneously made the coffee smell "roasted" and gave that burnt caramel edge to the patchouli. For a while, it got chocolatey, and for a while it smelled like butter brickle ice cream (do they even make butter brickle ice cream any more?) eaten next to a coffee roasting plant.

That being said, it would be hard to accurately describe Cafe without referencing A*Men. While they're not the same recipe, they do share a lot of the same ingredients and are similar in feel. If there's such a genre as patchouli gourmand fougeres, they're both in it. But while I find A*Men kind of loud and brutish, Cafe manages to tell a similar story with more refinement.

In a way, I was disappointed, but only because I was expecting the focus to be on the coffee note instead of the caramelized patchouli (of which I am more of an interested observer than an actual fan). But if you like A*Men and want something nicer, or more specifically, if you like the idea of A*Men but find it too cloying and brash, Cafe could be a perfect choice.
    Last edited by rogalal; 6th May 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Sampling Bond ~ Chinatown today. While I am glad I tried it, I dont think its for me.

Trying out some Diesel Fuel For Life that I was got (along with Chrome and Hanae Mori) from a Von Maur. It's sweet, which is something I don't mind too much, but there's some woodiness and an anise note that, to me, seems to clash a little bit. The raspberry is able to outdo the lesser parts of this fragrance and make it into something that I truly would wear regularly.

I do though, feel that it's marketing is gimmicky and a little over the top "hey teenagers, this gets you laid!".

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Blog Entries

Today, I’ve been wearing Neil Morris Hologram.

It kicked off with some really unapologetic fruit notes. Officially, they’re listed as yuzu and cassis, but it smelled to me more like some sort of combination of peach, apples, and cherries, lightly dusted with sweet spices, possibly including that specific cinnamony clovey mix that always reminds me of Christmas candles. Actually, the whole top reminded me of a candle store, not so much because of the mix of notes, but because it had that faint but distinct smell you get from high concentrations of essential oils (I don’t know what does this – maybe someone here knows?).

Given time, a little tinge of green developed behind the fruit notes, which eventually revealed itself as a nice headshop patchouli. This fruity patchouli combo made up most of Hologram, fading slowly from mostly fruit with patchouli in the background to mostly a vanilla patchouli with the lingering fruit combining cleverly to smell a bit like warm blueberry jam with a pat of butter.

In the end, I don’t think Hologram is really for me. Its high concentration of essential oils makes it a bit richer and thicker than I feel comfortable wearing when it’s such a sweet fruity scent, and I’m just not a huge patchouli fan. But these are just personal quibbles - if you’re looking for a unique fruity scent that has the girly charm of a fruity floral without the lame corporate predictability and thin watered-down cheapness, I’d definitely suggest a sniff.

I woke up in a confident mood so I gave Montale's Aoud Lime a (blind) full-wearing today:

Do any of you try and "guess" what a fragrance is going to smell like before you get around to it? I am always off the mark but it is fun to do, just the same.

Well, there's a first time for everything.

I came in expecting an interpretation of oud in keeping with the other Montale Aouds I have sampled--Black, White, Royal--but dry, green, and slightly sour. And that's exactly what I got. The oud seems more legible, less adorned here than in the others; perhaps to its detriment, as I found the drydown complex without being compelling.

Strong stuff and well-made as always but yeah, 'they are who we thought they were.' I am going to try this again in autumn and see if it moves me.

3.5/5.0

Blog Entries

Rogalal, I'm honored something I wrote led you to sample Kenzo Power yourself. It's interesting that you also thought they treaded gender lines with Power. It is certainly an interesting fragrance, and one that I will enjoy wearing occasionally.

As has become my routine on Saturdays, when I am around the house with just myself and the kids, I sample fragrances. Today was:

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

This one has been on my test list for a while, and I'm not sure why I put it off so long. First of all I haven't been able to find a tester. The department stores around me seem to carry the full Chanel line for women, but only a couple for men. Second of all, I've tried the original Allure Homme, Allure Homme Sport, and Allure Homme Sport Cologne; and while they were all nice, none of them suited my tastes. They were all too "heavy" and "warm". Third, I have seen Edition Blanche described as Lemon Cream Pie, which is something I love to eat, but not necessarily something I want to smell like. I'm not a big fan of gourmands.

So with all of that in mind I really didn't know what to expect with Edition Blanche, even though it has been compared with, and listed on the same lists as, some of my favorites. So I tried it this morning from some samples I bought off of ebay. I had two immediate thoughts: 1) "WOW!" and 2) "This smells kind of like L'eau par Kenzo."

It does smell like lemons, and semi sweet cream, but is very nicely done. The lemons don't come off like cleaner, and the cream is in the background and not super sweet like a gourmand. The similarities to L'eau par Kenzo have remained for me throughout, but this is a little more "mature" than the Kenzo. L'eau par Kenzo is actually one of my favorites, but so far I actually think I like Edition Blanche even better. Where LpK is zesty, tart, bright, vibrant, etc. Edition Blanche is softer, smoother, refined, classy. I've always described Versace Pour Homme as a more mature take on the same theme as Acqua di Gio. I'll can now make the same correlation between Edition Blanche and LpK.

Another comparison I noticed in the heart of Edition Blanche is a slight similarity to the aromatic heart/base of 212 Men (another of my favorites) after the green/spiciness has faded.

Ultimately, it was love at first smell for me with Edition Blanche, and I am making it my scent of the day with a full application. I can also tell this one is going to be bottle worthy, and in my regular rotation. I'm always leery of making that call after only one wearing, but this one blew me away much the way Bvlgari Aqva, 212 Men, and most recently Terre d'Hermes did.

Blog Entries

OK, ThGolfer, you're tempting me again... I'm a slobbering fan of L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme. But what I really like is the sparkly 7 Up/ginger ale in the topnotes. It sounds like Edition Blanche makes it less sparkly and bright, so it might not really appeal to me. If you like the bright refreshing topnotes of LpK, try to sniff Chanel's Cristale Eau Verte the next time you're at the mall - it's got the same appeal, but more soapy and clean in the drydown.

Friday, I continued testing Neil Morris samples with Midnight Forest.

Now this is my kind of scent...

Midnight forest manages to be a forest scent, but without using any of the usual cedar/iso e super notes. Instead, it's a confusing mix of galbanum and moss in the topnotes (I think - neither of these are notes I'm good at recognizing). Given time, it dries down to a vetiver and evergreen base. Oddly, the base is much weaker than the topnotes on my skin, so the whole thing faded considerably around lunchtime as it converted from the galbanum/moss to the vetiver.

To be honest, I really didn't know what to make of Midnight Forest. That huge volume drop was a bit off-putting, and the galbanum top was a little iffy on my skin. But I sprayed some on before bed and my sheets smelled really awesome the next morning. And then I sprayed some on paper to try to figure out more notes and it smelled really awesome on paper. Sadly, I think this a fragrance I really like that just doesn't respond well to my chemistry, so alas it's not for me. But if Neil ever decides to make a candle out of this, I'll be the first in line...
    Last edited by rogalal; 9th May 2010 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Yesterday I wore Neil Morris Izmir.

I can honestly say that I've never smelled anything like this before...

This is one of those scents that's going to be really hard to describe. Start off with that caramelized headshop patchouli (which I'm starting to think may be a Neil Morris house note) and add some rose. Then some fruit, but not enough to smell like fruit, but just enough to make the whole thing smell sweeter and fresher. Then add coffee. But not enough that it smells like a coffee scent - just enough to add a weird darkness. Really, even if you can imaging what I'm trying to describe (fruity rose patchouli with coffee?), Izmir doesn't smell like anything you're imagining....

Given a few hours, the rose, fruit, and patchouli come together into a sore of rose jam smell (the same way that the rose, fruit and patchouli in Feminite du Bois come together to smell like rose-flavored jam - though it smells absolutely nothing like FDB). The coffee note fades into the background, replaced by - wait for it..... Oud.

As if Izmir wasn't weird enough already, it ends up as sort of a jammy rose patchouli oud thing. But again, if you think you know what this will smell like from this description, you don't.

For one thing, this seems to use a tea rose, instead of the T'aif rose used in middle eastern scents, so the rose/oud combo doesn't smell like what you're used to. It's a bit more grandmotherly and less "oriental". And the caramelized patchouli sticks around, making for a really dense combination.

All in all, I don't think I'd ever buy a bottle of Izmir, but I still respect it very much. This is true niche perfumery - really interesting experimentation that probably doesn't have broad appeal, but is really intellectually stimulating. So who would I recommend it for? Really really adventurous rose fans. And people who've sampled so many hundreds of scents that they're starting to think there's nothing new out there. You might not like it, but you'll be glad it exists out there in the world...

I'm enjoying reading your Neil Morris reviews, Rogalal - Izmir sounds intriguing, though I'm a little on edge about the New Harlem references I read in reviews. Always up for a new rose.

I've been visiting a few Neil Morris samples recently myself.

Intimate Gardenia - very pleasant gardenia accord for the first few minutes, but quickly succumbs to an odd doughy quality I also smelled in his Flowers For Men: Gardenia. However, it's much more of a soliflore than the latter, and all in all much nicer, albeit not particularly interesting ( i.e. in no way a rival to beauties like PC Tuberose Gardenia and Pur Desir ). Decent lasting power for something marketed as delicate.

Midnight Tryst - is to Diptyque's Eau Lente what Brazil is to Portugal. Similar creamy, spiced opoponax but here joined by warm, faintly fruity tropical flowers and that humid warm patchouli I smell in a number of his fragrances ( Rogalal is right on the money about "caramelized headshop patchouli", which I smell in this, Dark Season, and Gandhara to varying degrees ). Jasmine isn't listed, but I smell it here. The flowers don't smell realistic, but are more of floral accord than a living blossom - big, pink, cartoon flowers. I find it a very wearable, very mellow floriental with no hard edges or bold statements. Though it shares a number of notes, Midnight Tryst and Gandhara are worlds apart, but this is a much more relaxing fragrance to wear, somehow.

Dark Season - spicy spruce completely subdued by amber-laden patchouli. Another one that maxes out the warmth and comfort. I'm kind of conflicted about it because it uses an unusual accord and makes it something pleasant and conventional smelling. Using another frag analogy, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie vs. Elsha 1770 is to leather what Polo vs. Dark Season is to evergreens and patchouli. With the notes this could have been a bold, edgy, statement fragrance, but instead it's warm and cuddly. That being said, it's well made, lasts well, and is wearable anywhere. If someone wanted a "safe" masculine from Neil Morris, I'd recommend this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    OK, ThGolfer, you're tempting me again... I'm a slobbering fan of L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme. But what I really like is the sparkly 7 Up/ginger ale in the topnotes. It sounds like Edition Blanche makes it less sparkly and bright, so it might not really appeal to me. If you like the bright refreshing topnotes of LpK, try to sniff Chanel's Cristale Eau Verte the next time you're at the mall - it's got the same appeal, but more soapy and clean in the drydown.
    That is my favorite part of LpK too, and Edition Blanche is definitely a toned down version of it. However, I've worn EB the last two days, and I still love it. It's certainly a close wearing scent though. Smells great, excellent quality, longevity not an issue, but very little silliage if that is important to you (it isn't to me). I can see room in my wardrobe for both. Same theme for different moods/weather maybe.

Thanks for the tip on Cristale Eau Verte. I'll seek it out.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 10th May 2010 at 02:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I wore Neil Morris Vapor.

This is a seriously difficult scent…

Imagine really sweet sweet sweet lemon-flavored candy mixed with a ton of baby powder. Add a pinch of florals under all that super-sweet lemon powder. Then, add some sort of really strange aldehyde that smells like something between hot sweet plastic and melting crayons.

And make it really, really strong.

Given a few hours, it stayed pretty linear, though it got a bit less shocking after those aldehydes faded a bit.

I have to admit that one of my least favorite perfume genres has to be the artful experimentation with synthetics. Sure, some of the CDG’s are fun, but scents like Malle’s Outrageous really turn me off. Vapor is firmly planted in the “what’s that strange smell” camp, to the point that I was kind of worried about what people were thinking as I wore it around town. So I’m left with the feeling that Vapor is more of an intelligent concept than a wearable perfume, like an intentionally difficult modern art piece. Somewhere out there, someone is going to love this, but I’m afraid it’s not me…

And everyone's changing their names! How confusing... Is there a story behind Sugandaraja?
    Last edited by rogalal; 10th May 2010 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Today I’m wearing Neil Morris October.

It’s a nice fruity gourmand that smells at first like one of those spiced pumpkin muffins they sell at coffee shops around Thanksgiving. Given some time, an apple note comes through, as well as a pinch of that Neil Morris caramelized patchouli. It’s an interesting, pleasant smell. The closest thing I can compare it to is cult-favorite scent Brandy. But Brandy has a boozy aspect to it while October has that patchouli, but the overall spiced fruit gourmand feeling is definitely similar.

Later in the day, a nice (and unexpected) myrrh incense base came through. I wouldn’t have thought it, but the pumpkin pie spices and apple really work well with the creamy, smooth incence.

The thing about scents that incorporate notes like this is that they have to work very hard to not smell like a cheap holiday jar candle. Thankfully, Neil pulls it off – while October certainly doesn’t smell like a traditional French-style perfume, it doesn’t smell at all cheap or like some sort of Yankee Candle reject.

If you’re a fan of Brandy, I’d suggest you give October a sniff. Or if you like the apple pie basenotes of Ambre Narguile but don’t care for the tobacco or woody elements. Or maybe even if you like Jubilation XXV and wish it was more fruity without the cedar and the iso e super.

Blog Entries

Today I'm wearing Neil Morris Dark Earth.

Mathematically speaking, this is basically the bottom half of a chypre. It's got that Neil Morris signature patchouli, along with vetiver and some mossy galbanum. There's also a pinch of myrrh in there. So what does it smell like? Basically, a chypre base. It's dark and green and earthy, but surprisingly sweet and a bit creamy.

The only odd thing about Dark Earth is that it's not very strong on me. Because of the richness of the essential oils Neil Morris uses (I can tell by the little oil slicks they leave on my skin and paper), all of them except this one have been really strong and long-lasting with about a spray and a half. Sadly, it's only noon and Dark Earth is more like a sweet spot on my skin than a perfume at this point.

When I get home tonight, I'll re-apply with quite a bit more and see what I get then...

For now, I'd recommend Dark Earth to people who like exactly what it promises, earthy darkness.
    Last edited by rogalal; 11th May 2010 at 06:56 PM.

I have been wearing my new bottle (!) of New York for the past four days so no sampling for me.

Although that has got me thinking: I probably am not as critical of scents I own full bottles of as I am of the ones I am sampling my way through. I think this needs to change.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 12th May 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Continuing the Neil Morris-y tone of this thread, today I'm trying his Prowl.

I'm a little baffled at those who perceive this as animalic - to my nose, the only animalic thing about it is the name. If I had to class it, I'd call it a fruity-floral, with the qualification that it doesn't at all adhere to what's typical for the genre.

I've never smelled an osmanthus flower. That being said, I've smelled quite a few osmanthus fragrances, and this is, to my nose, is one of their number. That accord of sunny, tangy florals, tea, and apricots is unmistakable to my nose, and this is my favorite interpretation of it so far, having a deeper, richer accord than most. Most osmanthus frags have a thinness that turns me off them, like a high-pitched instrument with no accompaniment, but here it's heady, thick, and quite "edible" smelling. A faint incensey edge recalls the AL02, the only other fruity fragrance that's strongly appealed to me, though it's much more subdued here.

Neil tends to use similar accords in different fragrances, and I spot a guest appearance of that doughy gardenia note in the drydown, but after a few hours it's wound down to quite a quiet, creamy vanilla drydown that's rather non-sweet. The longevity is a little sub-par for my tastes, about four, five hours on my skin, but quite charming while it's present.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Although that has got me thinking: I probably am not as critical of scents I own full bottles of as I am of the ones I am sampling my way through. I think this needs to change.
    Watch out for that - it's probably a good thing. You wouldn't want to end up with full bottles of things you've found flawed under intense scrutiny (I'm sadly speaking from experience). It kind of ruins the fun.

Yesterday, I wore Neil Morris Burnt Amber.

Burnt Amber kicked off as a really nice, rich amber scent. Buttery and rich without being too much, not too sweet or medicinal, it got it just right for me. There was some bright citrus on top, as well as a pinch of lavender for brightness, and that same “roasted” smell Neil used in Café. It wasn’t as buttery rich as Costume National Homme, but was still very much a comforting cold-weather kind of scent.

Usually, with notes like these, I assume the scent isn’t going to change much, but Burnt Amber kept changing over time, surprisingly. Given time, the orange faded, while the lavender and the “burnt” got more prominent. By the afternoon, it had dried down to vetiver! (though the notes apparently say it’s oak)

All in all, it was an interesting ride, but some of the transitions were a little awkward on my skin (buttery lavender dirt, anyone?). Strangely, if it had just stuck with the smell it had in the beginning, I probably would have respected it less, but liked it more.

If you’re looking for an interesting amber, especially one with more masculine elements, Burnt Amber is definitely worth adding to the test list.

Blog Entries

Today I sampled Neil Morris City Rain.

I’m not sure why, but after sampling Vapor, I was somehow expecting City Rain to be that odd smell of concrete sidewalks after the first rain of the fall, or some other such artful weirdness, but it’s actually just a really nice floral.

It was mostly a slightly minty tuberose. When I smelled my arm, that’s pretty much all I got, but the silage had a wonderful pipe tobacco and tea aroma swelling up under the tuberose. As with most tuberose scents, the volume was loud, but City Rain never got as screechy or annoying as some do on me.

For lack of a better comparison, this reminded me of Barneys Route du Thé Homme, which has a sort of minty tea smell on the skin, but projects an aura of pipe tobacco. Douse that with just the perfect amount of tuberose and you’d get City Rain.

Given time, I lost the tobacco and the mint, while everything got creamier and eventually settled into a luxurious and not-too-sweet vanilla/flower mixture.

Naturally, tuberose isn’t listed as a note. SMM says it’s heliotrope and honeysuckle, which I’m inclined to believe, because I’m terrible at figuring out flowers and pretty much any strong, lightly indolic floral smells like tuberose to me…

All in all, I think City Rain shows a real dexterity and skill with notes that can sometimes be problems. Seriously, mint, tuberose, and vanilla can all run roughshod and ruin a perfume, but Neil manages to make them all come together pretty perfectly.

Floral fans, this one's worth a sniff.

I have a bottle and samples of Royal English leather by Creed, cannot get enough of it, no wonder King George III and his son wore this fragrance. It screams royalty and elegance, makes me really get in touch with my British roots.

Bond No 9 Central Park. I dig the lime up top.

Blog Entries

Today I wore Neil Morris Assam.

Imagine that Chinese ginger tea (the strong stuff that you're supposed to drink with honey when you're sick), but soapy. Then imagine that orange drink they used to sell at McDonalds, watered down but still very sugary. If you can imagine what these would be mixed together, you'd have a pretty good image of Assam. It's sweet and fruity, but also soapy, with a tea smell that's simultaneously herbal and a bit "foreign." The orange is not realistic-smelling at all, but it's appealing anyway and it's not supposed to smell like real oranges (in fact, according to the reviews here, it's supposed to smell like mango???).

After a couple of hours, that signature Neil Morris caramelized headshop patchouli came through, meshing with the mango/orange and the soap to form a pleasant base.

On me, Assam is kind of interesting but a bit sweet, but I could imagine it being really alluring, but in a fresh, cute way, on the right quirky girl.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sampled a couple of more recent releases from MDCI
    (Btw it's been more than a year -BN certainly needs help to update its database more promptly. )

Un Coeur En Mai

Notes:
    petitgrain, galbanum, bergamot, water hyacinth, lily of the valley, rose, mimosa, black currant, melon, coriander, musk, Bourbon geranium, precious woods.

Somewhat like an impressionist-styled painting of a lovely floral garden done in pastel hues. Green in the beginning but reveals subtle shades of colors as the florals develops: watery hyacinth, muguet, rose, mimosa... Of these, I found the muguet to be the most noticeable. Even the typically distinguishable rose gets the light treatment and blends seamlessly into the light woodsy musk base. Created by Patricia de Nicolai, Un Coeur En Mai is an elegant very feminine floral, but rather sheer and short-wearing. 3.8/5 Great smell, modest projection, below average longevity.

Vepres Sicillienes

Notes:
    mandarin, grapefruit, peach, pepper, green leaves, cardamom, muguet, magnolia, jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, tuberose, heliotrope, osmanthus, raspberry, cloves, plum, coconut, musk, amber, oakmoss and cedarwood.

Impressive official list of notes aside, this feels immediately much more substantial than the ethereal Un Coeur En Mai. I can pick out the tuberose and muguet early on but the rest is a rich well supported floral bouquet that somehow manages to stay clear of 'heady' territory. The quality of ingredients is impeccable and it needs to be to support such an ambitious composition. Vepres Sicillienes earns its rank as one of the most gorgeous florals I've had the pleasure to smell. 4.5/5 Excellent scent, good sillage, superior longevity.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 18th May 2010 at 10:41 AM.

My sampling for today....

L'Artisan Timbuktu

Notes: green mango, pink pepper berries, cardamom, karo karounde flower, smokey incense of papyrus wood, patchouli, myrrh, vetiver (from luckyscent.com)

I am not fond of the fenugreek opening notes that are reminiscent of Parfum d'Empire Fougere Bengal, ie, an edible curry. However, after the opening accord settles down, I must admit that Timbuktu is one of the best woody-incense fougeres I have experienced. The herbal accord is understated, only a tad medicinal and primarily aromatic, with a freshness that contributes a tinge of brightness without making me feel as though my nostrils have been scrubbed by a wire brush (as many contemporary fougeres have a tendency to do). The woody notes are difficult to place, and have a sweet creaminess not unlike sandalwood. The incense notes add a luxurious richness without being heavy or cloying. Wood, incense, smoky green vetiver and some soapiness define the drydown, although the herbal accord still lingers in faded form. Overall, Timbuktu is an amazingly well-crafted composition, and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anybody who is looking for a balanced, modern interpretation of a classic fougere.

L'Artisan Dzonkha

Notes: Lichee, Cardamom, Peony, Iris, Tea Leaves, Incense (from luckyscent.com)

For a supposed spiced incense and tea fragrance Dzonkha starts incredibly boozy--like a single malt scotch with dry woods and peaty smoke. The opening accord is intoxicating but short lived, and gives way to the cardamom and tea that I expected from the beginning. Soon after, the tea accord evokes a leathery quality, and combined with cardamom, woody notes and some smoke gives the impression of a dry leather chypre such as the classic Estee Lauder Azuree. Peeking out within the mid notes is an unexpected dose of pepper which carries the spice impression as the cardamom fades. The drydown is spicy, aromatic and slightly sweet with hints of unburned incense resin--at this stage, the leather quality persists along with the pepper. Dzonkha is a very enjoyable ecclectic fragrance, more dry and understated than the equally boozy, leathery, tea-tinged Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe. Dzonkha is slightly formal in its leather character, but as easy to wear as a well-loved pair of jeans.

Parfumerie Generale Papyrus de Ciane

Notes: Bergamot, galbanum, neroli, broom, solar notes, lavender, mugwort, clove, incense, cistus labadanum, hedione, vetiver, Mousse de Saxe, Silvanone, white musk (from luckyscent.com)

Papyrus de Ciane starts soapy, green and bright with a short-lived galbanum and bergamot blast. Soon after, the green impression turns decidedly more golden, as in dried grass or hay, with a sweet woodiness. Into the middle development, some smoky incense notes appear as the soapiness fades. PdC turns decidedly more dry and somewhat powdery at this point, as smoke, moss and labdanum give the impression of a modernized version of a classic leather chypre. This stage develops very slowly, and eventually loses the vague leather quality in favor of mossy tones. PdC settles into a clean musk, wood, incense resin and hay drydown, with smoky vetiver which gives a pleasant impression of burning white sage and tinder-dry paper. PdC is a quiet and understated fragrance which evokes a classic style--lovely.
    Last edited by Asha; 15th May 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Neil Morris - Burnt Amber

Time and time again I've had the "try it on skin rule" shown to me. This is loathsome on paper - like someone drank a gallon of prune juice and threw it up on burning sawdust. Yes, that bad.

On skin, that queasy discord disappears within seconds. Instead, Burnt Amber develops into an intriguing woody, fruity, smoky concoction that's almost like Feminte du Bois singed at the edges, with oak replacing cedar. It's not something I'd wear, but don't let those horrid top notes put you off; it's not a monster.

Comme des Garcons - Rhubarb

Wow, this is terrible. Avante Garde isn't always wearable, and this kind of smells like window cleaner and apple pulp. Rhubarb? Not any I've smelled, or would want to eat.

For Rhubarb, check out Byredo Pulp instead.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Sample Of The Day ~ May 2010

Vol de Nuit Evasion.

rel again as my sleep aid

I'm absolutely perplexed, enthralled, and simultaneously smitten over Escentric Molecules Molecule 01. I don't care that it's only Iso E Super, this is the most interesting "fragrance" I've ever smelled. Never have I been so caught up in a mini game whilst wearing a fragrance as I am with Molecule 01. The first sampling, I smelled essentially nothing, but my second wearing yesterday, I smelled a "little". You ever know that person that smells really good, and when you ask what they're wearing, they say nothing (they just naturally smell good, be it a combination of shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, sweat, etc), THAT'S what Molecule 01 smells like when I catch it. Slightly sweet, lightly soapy, barely there, but I know damn well it's there, because I just felt an odd electricity while wearing it, it's very hard to describe, but it was amazing!

I was up in SF this weekend and stopped by the Diptyque boutique to try the new vetiver, but still no samples, only a tester. They also had a tester of another new scent, Eau Duelle, a very sweet, almost cloying vanilla, very different for them. It's coming out in September.

Barney's is now carrying the CdG Red series, and CdG 3. Palisander and CdG 3 have a similar "transparent woody" smell, but CdG 3 also has a sulfurous component, rather oniony. Barney's also has a tester of the new L'Artisan Nuit de Tuberose and already has a long wait list for it.

Also, I just found out that a pricey little women's boutique in Burlingame is selling the Histoires de Parfums fragrances, The only men's fragrance they carry is 1969, so they don't have the Marquis de Sade one, 1740. But they have the women's fragrances, including the three new tuberose scents. So if you're interested in trying them, they're at Susan's of Burlingame on Burlingame Avenue.

rel for sleepytime

Blog Entries

Asha, nice to see you over here! After giving myself more than a year to get to know it, I still think Timbuktu is one of the best, most interesting scents out there - that I don't like the smell of. I keep trying, but no...

Suga/Galamb, I can still remember the letdown the first time I finally found a bottle of CDG Rhubarb to sniff. Just a gross, plasticy mess. The whole Sherbet line has that problem - it's pretty safe to avoid.

MTG, just promise me you'll track down a little bottle of Iso E Super on the web before you plunk down $135 for Molecule 01...

Rotto, I was out shopping Saturday, too, and even ran into JaimeB at Barneys. We must have just missed each other. And the Diptyque folks didn't tell me about another new one! Doh!

Anyway, briefly interrupting Neil Morris-apoloosa, in the city, I sampled a couple of interesting ones. On my left, at the suggestion of the aforementioned JaimeB, I tried the new-to-Barneys-but-not-new Comme des Garçons Comme 3.

What an odd one. It started out very green and vegetal, like a cross between fresh-chopped cilantro and unripe green bell peppers. It reminded me of L'Artisan's Poivre Piquant, but much greener. With time, the peppers faded, leaving a bay leaf smell, with just a pinch of coriander for a pinch of berry sweetness, and a bit of magnolia hiding in the background (it was that magnolia note that kind of smells like hot plastic - very CDG).

All in all, I liked the cilantro/pepper topnotes, but didn't care much for the oddly plasticy heart and base, so it was a no-go for me.

On my right arm, I tested (finally...) Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent Two: Laurel

I liked it, but it was not quite what I wanted. Like a good, solid B+, but not quite enough for an A. It was pretty simple, a ton of black pepper, mixed with bay leaf and iso e super for smokiness. These are three of my favorite ingredients, so I really expected to fall in love, but it just wasn't that exciting. Really, just a ton of pepper (seriously, a LOT of pepper) with bay leaf. Smoky. With that ise e super incense base.

If you really like pepper fragrances for their spicy, in-your-face version of freshness, this might be your grail. And if you're an incense fan, Laurel is probably worth checking out. So I'm glad I got to try it, but I don't see a bottle in my future.

Oh, and Golfer, I sniffed Allure Homme Edition Blanche at Sephora. You're right-on with the L'Eau par Kenzo comparison. Those same sparkling topnotes, but over a soapy musk heart instead of that salted plum. It smelled like a nice one, but I've already got my bottle of the Kenzo, so I doubt I'd use both.

Blog Entries

Today I resumed the Neil Morris festival with Takashimaya New York.

I remember sniffing this at the actual Takashimaya New York store last year and being surprised at how fruity and candied it smelled. It was the first Neil Morris scent I smelled anywhere and I was expecting something more arty and weird and I was taken aback by its oddly strident faux-orange topnotes.

Fast-forward a year and I've finally got a sample, so I'm wearing it for the first time.

The top is somewhere between the smell of a big can of Tang powder and an old 80's Flintstones chewable vitamin. It's orange-ish, but very obviously artificial, but in a familiar, almost comforting way. This is the synthetic orange flavor we all grew up with.

In actuality, I'm guessing that it's a combination of that synthetic citrus that almost everyone uses that remind me of Tang, with the hypersweetness brought out even more with some yuzu.

In the heart, a really surprising tomato leaf note (straight out of the notorious Stecca) makes an appearance, giving a weird leafy sweaty armpit indolic green feel that is a really strange combination with the happy familiar synthetics on top.

Because this is Neil Morris, friend of Basenotes and someone who I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to, I'll assume that this is all for the sake of art, but if someone like Hugo Boss put this out, I'd have some really mean things to say.

If you're a big fan of Clinique's Happy for Men, this might really hit the spot for you, but watch out for that tomato leaf. Or, if you're a big fan of really "difficult" leafy scents, this one's got it, but watch out for all that Tang!

Asha, nice to see you over here! After giving myself more than a year to get to know it, I still think Timbuktu is one of the best, most interesting scents out there - that I don't like the smell of. I keep trying, but no...

MTG, just promise me you'll track down a little bottle of Iso E Super on the web before you plunk down $135 for Molecule 01...
    I agree about Timbuktu, and I went from hatred to admire to like, who knows if it'll turn to love.

But....but....but..... what if they're LYING to us, and it's NOT 100% IES? Hmmmm....? What if there is something in there that makes it so magical? Also, look at those bottles!!!! Me want!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th May 2010 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    But....but....but..... what if they're LYING to us, and it's NOT 100% IES? Hmmmm....? What if there is something in there that makes it so magical? Also, look at those bottles!!!! Me want!
    Well, there's definitely some alcohol, and some sort of fixative. Maybe some linalool or something to keep it from separating or going bad? In the end, I understand though. Sometimes a finished product is greater than the sum of its parts...

Today I wore Neil Morris Mariner.

It was mostly a pleasant mix of that Tang orange, with a pinch of lemon, mixed with calone. The notes mention rose, which I didn't get, but it was not as strong as the other Neil Morris scents I've tried and petered out pretty quickly with two sprays. By the late afternoon, I'm left with a very light mix of soap and cedar, but it's so faded that it's hard to smell much of anything. I could easily have missed a rose note in there somewhere...

Mariner feels kind of retro-90's, calling to mind CKone or L'Eau d'Issey (not that it really smells like them - just that it has that same sort of bright citric freshness and in-your-face artificiality). Thankfully, it never resorted to the bad aquatic stereotypes. I never smelled any of that rotting salty melon (like Fierce), and there's no metallic woody amber to be had, so it's kind of like a grown-up, nicer aquatic.

As far as criticisms go, I kind of miss the black pepper that's usually in aquatic citruses (it's what makes Bulgari Aqua's topnotes so unexpectedly trancendent), and by now anyone who reads my reviews knows that I really wish people would stop using that fakey orange tang chemical. But I'd still recommend Mariner to someone who's into aquatic scents but looking for something less commercial.

you know the drill: Royal English Leather

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I think we gotta get you to try some of the other stand-out leathers. See how you like others in the same genre.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think we gotta get you to try some of the other stand-out leathers. See how you like others in the same genre.
    sure pm me if you got some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Mr. Bond, have you been sampling this every day? Or just wearing it as your SOTD, which has its own thread?

Either way, I--and others, I am sure--would like to hear your thoughts on it.

When things get hectic, I avoid sampling because I cannot devote any real attention to the scents. Back on for tomorrow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Mr. Bond, have you been sampling this every day? Or just wearing it as your SOTD, which has its own thread?

Either way, I--and others, I am sure--would like to hear your thoughts on it.

When things get hectic, I avoid sampling because I cannot devote any real attention to the scents. Back on for tomorrow, though.
    I sample it for pleasure, it has a nice smell and it helps me sleep. So sue me lol.

Blog Entries

Today I got down to the last of my Neil Morris samples, Aegean.

I have to say this was not what I was expecting at all, a very traditional masculine chypre, but integrating some of Neil Morris's trademark notes.

It started off with a mix of that Neil Morris orange with that dirty 80's basil, with a pinch of lavender. I must have missed the quince note that's listed, because I basically got a long, smooth dry-down to galbanum, oakmoss, and that Neil Morris patchouli - a picture-perfect man-chypre.

However, Aegean really does come across as different. Based on the oil slick this left on my arm, he's using a lot of natural essential oils in this, so it behaves differently than the 70's and 80's scents that it's clearly inspired by. For one, it's a lot darker and moodier - if you've ever sniffed your way around a good essential oils store, you've probably noticed that herbal essential oils are long-lasting and have a very dark, dank, green quality to them, much more so than their synthetic counterparts. Because of this Aegean moves at a different speed than most older mens scents, which are generally sold so cheaply now that they're nothing but inexpensive chemicals. And Aegean really is dark. With no aldehydes and without that super-synthetic 70's lemon note to brighten up everything, it has a very buried-in-pete-moss-deep-in-a-forest quality that's an odd bridge between haunting and simply depressing.

But I can't help but think that, before money-based reformulations and such, back in the much-touted golden days when your average scent was much more of a concentrated stew of laregly natural oils, many masculine classics probably smelled more like Aegean than like their currently-available recipes. As such, it's defintely worth a sniff. And if you're a fan of classics, but looking for something a bit less chemical and a bit more "essential", Aegean may just be perfect.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Blog Entries

Today I wore Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman.

This is some funky leather. The top is basically a standard suede scent, but with a really animal funk lurking in there, kind of like a fine suede purse with a slightly stinky little dog in it.

With time, a little bit of powdery iris came in, but it was no match for the doggy-scented leather.

The base is much sweeter, a nice combination of vanilla and cinnamony sandalwood with that background iris. With some background herbal elements in there, too (I smelled licorice and anice hovering in the background occasionally), Cuir Ottoman managed to come close to a faux Guerlinade, but sweeter and minus the boozy depth.

That being said, there was a point about halfway through the day where the mix of leather and semi-guerliande was just utterly perfect and completely masterful. It's a pity I had to sit through the doggy topnotes to get to it.

So, for fans of animalic "suedey" leathers and intelligent vanilla bases, Cuir Ottoman may be truly top-notch. Or if the idea of a suede-wrapped L'Heure Blue-light is intriguing to you (and if you're here, it probably is...) I'd certainly suggest a sample sniff, but don't necessarily get your hopes up as high as that description might lead you to. If that dog note scares you, it might prove to be a bit too much. And the base here, while very nice, lacks the true depth required to pull off a picture-perfect Mitsouko (then again, so does the currently-available Mitsouko itself ). But it's still pretty darn good.

sublime vanille by creed

Nicolai-New York

Today I sampled Gramercy Park from Bond No.9.....This was my Sotd.....While I did enjoy this I know that I will not purchase this at this time.....I like Central Park way better and I want to take a look at the new Montauk that will be released any day now!!!
    Gary

I had applied a sample of Givenchy III after showering this morning but then inexplicably proceeded to spray over it with my SotD, Live Jazz.

Shame, as the drydown was what I was really curious about, given the regulations on ye old silent killer, oakmoss.

doggy-scented leather.
    LMAO and nice review. PETA thanks you.

A sample of the brand new Parfum De Rosine Rosissimo , a masculine rose opens on notes of Italian lemon, Pink grapefruit, Orange bitter, Rosemary, Verbena developing into a heart of White jasmine, Freesia, Rose essence, Precious woods before drying down to Leather, Cistus oil, Benzoin, Fir Balsam, Vetiver, Tree mosses.

Ive only had it on maybe 10 minutes or so and its beautiful , very very citrussy so far like fresh lemon peel but the rose is just there

I guess for today the sample will be virgin island water by Creed