Code of Conduct

Default Kiehl's 1921 Musk Oil versus Kiehl's Original Musk Oil

Last edited by neal; 1st June 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Default Re: Kiehl's 1921 Musk Oil versus Kiehl's Original Musk Oil

It is the same fragrance - just packaged differently.

The roller ball is 0.23 oz. while the glass bottle you linked us to is 0.50 oz.

It should also be available in larger sizes (I have a number of 1.00 oz. bottles that I purchased several years ago although I can't seem to find any current references to that size).
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st June 2010 at 03:07 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I tried the oil version. It is different from the spray.

The oil version starts green, piney, and I couldn't detect musk after using the oil. I thought I had applied the wrong bottle of oil. There is no way this can be Kiehl's Musk. It doesn't smell anything like the edt.

20 minutes later, here comes the musk. And it is very nice. I like it a lot. It is a light skin scent, it does not project, but it smells good.

2 hours later, there is an odd sour odor developing.

If it could keep that heart note from 20 minutes in, this would be an awesome fragrance. Once it goes sour it ruins the musk scent.

The oil is very oily. It does not get absorbed by the skin easily. The skin stays very oily. Even if this smelled great the whole way through, I don't know how it could be worn without getting cloths dirty from the oil. It would be better if the oil was absorbed by the skin and didn't stay shinny and oily.

From another thread on Kiehl's...

Kiehl's musk fan here and this one had been buggin me for a while so... after 2 emails and 2 visits to the Kiehl's brick & mortar on Michigan Ave in Chicago, I've got the following consistent representations:

1. The 160th Anniversary Limited Edition Musk Eau de Toilette Spray and the Original Musk Blend No. 1 EDT are the same/identical fragrance.

2. There is no marketed essence oil roll-on or 'splash' form of the 160th Anniversary Limited Edition Musk.

3. The .23oz Musk Essence Oil Roller Ball Applicator oil (aka “1921”) and the 1oz./.5oz/.25oz ‘splash’ vials with the Red/Blue ribbon (also prominent on the 160th Anniversary Limited Edition Musk Eau de Toilette Spray bottle) are the same/identical essence oil.

4. The EDT and the essence oils are the same fragrance aside from the essential oil content or concentration.

5. 1921 being the year that the musk essence was purportedly first created and introduced.

While I've never smelled the 160th Anniversary Limited Edition EDT I have multiple bottles of the others and have no reason to doubt the representations per above. If anyone knows anything else, I'd be interested to hear it.