Code of Conduct

Default Do you like ballet and perfume?

Did anyone post this?

Images of the ballet, for me, bring to mind aching feet, the hilarious and expert danseurs of Les Ballets Trocadero and the fiery, sexy mistress of the Comte d'Orsay, the Austrian Romantic diva ballerina Fanny Elssler, who flashed her legs above the knee before European audiences in a time when respectable women could not even show an ankle.

It looks like the Victoria and Albert Museum are teaming up with Roja Dove to create a scent for a Diaghilev show called "Diaghilev."

The 1920s in Paris was consumed with interest in Russian emigres, resulting in many "parfums russes" such as Cuir de Russie, a fav of mine.

Limited to only 1000 bottles.

From Scented Salamander: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...010_new_f.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st June 2010 at 03:12 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Do you like ballet and perfume?

I LOVE ballet and LOVE perfume. I also adore Diaghilev - he wore Misouko and his ballerinas wore Narcisse Noir by Caron.
    I also love en pointe !
    Primrose- this new perfume sounds wonderful.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I love, ballet, perfume, and opera. I definitely want to sniff this! I hope it doesn't smell like someone who's just come off stage after dancing a full performance ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I love, ballet, perfume, and opera. I definitely want to sniff this! I hope it doesn't smell like someone who's just come off stage after dancing a full performance ...
    LOL! Liz Zorn's Tobacco and Tulle. Something animalic with tuberose. Perfect for after a performance, when a prima ballerina could have a romantic tryst with one of her many admirers in her private dressing room... LOL! Sweat *can* be sexy...

I wonder if these are sold out by now, as they only made 1000. Anyone own one of these?

I only have an old bottle of Pavlova with the ballerina cap...
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st June 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm also a fan of ballet, perfume and opera. This sounds interesting.

Blog Entries

I am an opera fan but, ballet not so much. Mimi Gardenia is correct; Diaghilev wore Mitsouko as, incidentally, did Ingrid Bergman and Charlie Chaplin. Does anyone know if any of the opera stars wear/wore Mitsouko?

I can't answer N Tesla's question, but YES I love ballet (did it growing up and into my 20s!) There was a fabulous exhibit 20 years ago at least at the DeYoung in SF of authentic Diaghilev artifacts (costumes, stage designs, etc) that was FASCINATING. I can totally imagine the great man in Mitsouko. This weekend my daughters are in their dance show; it works its primal magic on each generation.

And, on yes, I had Pavlova back in the day. I LOVED that fragrance!

Great thread! As a fan of almost any kind of dance, ranging from standard ballroom dancing, suitable for formal occasions, up to the extremely modern and experimental ones, I LOVE dancing and thus I also adore to watch ballet.
    Anyway, I associate the ballet-perfume connection with some classic, even formal and old-school, but also slightly provocative and debonair jasmine scent, something I would immediately associate with a little story I found out courtesy of Primrose: the Count's passionate love for jasmine scents and for lavishly beautiful, magnetically seductive and flawlessly classy ballerinas.
    By the way, what fragrance might the great Elssler, as well as her illustrious contemporaries Taglioni and even Lola Montes (the latter being more of a courtesan, but still using her dancing skills as a weapon of seduction and for gaining notoriety), might have worn? Any additional inputs on the fragrance preferences of these (and other) grand ladies of the ballet stage?
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th June 2010 at 08:44 AM.

Ken, I would think of the ballerinas of times past as celebrities of their day. On the subject of spokesmodels, the earliest hired celebrity to front a cosmetic was Lillie Langtry for Pears Soap. I do know that many tradespeople (with or with out the consent of the celebrity) in the 1840s capitalised on Fanny Elssler's name for selling anything from pastries to trinkets. Her image was marketed as a porcelain statuette in one of her stage roles.

I cannot recall a male or female celebrity fronting a fragrance in the 19th century, so perhaps someone can point out an example.

I would imagine looking at the scents of Guerlain starting in 1828 for some ideas. Perhaps something like "Frangipane," which is a wonderfully seductive floral. I can see these women, with their dazzling white shoulders, wearing this. (Graceful white shoulders were an attraction on women in those days, as well as a curving bust.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th June 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I want to know what Slyvie Guillem wears ! I'll be very disappointed if she wears 'Clean ' or something similar.

Is Giselle perfume by Carla Fracci ,ballet- inspired?
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th June 2010 at 06:50 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I want to know what Slyvie Guillem wears ! I'll be very disappointed if she wears 'Clean ' or something similar.

Is Giselle perfume by Carla Fracci ,ballet- inspired?
    Mimi, good question. I'd like to see the marketing on Giselle to see if any ballet imagery was used.