Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this the future of fragrance marketing?

When will this hit the U.S.?

I'd buy one of these gizmos to attach to my monitor in a second.
    Last edited by Midiguru; 1st June 2010 at 04:37 AM.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brazilian test market shows resounding success with "print and sniff" online perfume advertisments

Quote Originally Posted by Giz
    It must be puzzling, working for a perfume company and trying to figure out how to market it to internet users. Brazilian company Kaiak found the most amazing solution to show people just how good (I'm presuming) their cologne is.

The ad agency working with Kaiak teamed up with 15 internet cafes across Brazil, installing mini-printers in the sides of the monitors. When the internet surfers clicked on an ad banner promising that the "best selling men's fragrance in the country just changed. Want to try it? Click this banner. IT'S SCENTED," a little cardboard perfume tester actually printed out of the monitor in front of them, with a peeled-off area containing the fragrance.

As you can imagine, the online campaign was a resounding success. The click-through rate on the banner ads was 43 times higher than the worldwide average, and 10,000 of the perfume testers were distributed through people's computer monitors in just one weekend.

And, Brazil just got a whole lot smellier

http://gizmodo.com/5551826/how-to-se...-print-n-sniff

So. Cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The future of fragrance marketing!

I've often wondered how these things are going to work. Print a scent onto a strip in a printer, and peel off a tape to reveal it? I sure hope it can get all the fullness of the scent in question. Think if it can only get say 35% and just the major notes at that (there has to be some special printer cartridge, right?), and it would be a bummer if perfumers started to compose creations so that they would come through said scent thing. It would be like film directors starting to film for the small screen because movies are watched on TVs instead of the big screen in the movie house.

But I bet the device can only "print out" one single scent, from its cartridge of tester.

It would be nice to have the feature work with every post in question on this forum.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The future of fragrance marketing!

i dont think it will work...

Think about it...the computer (internet) will have to send data to a special cartridge, which i assume will contain many different scents, and some people could hack (or what ever you want to call it) and figure the mixture of the scent

DeepSilence

Default Re: Is this the future of fragrance marketing?

YesSS. This technology invented in about 6 or 7 years ago. I saw a program in tv. Inventor didn't like to give many informations. He just said:
    scent is like image or pics. Tv makes the pictures with combining of three colors : Red, Green, Blue (RGB). Scents made with several Basically notes too. we can make all of the scents just with a few notes.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 1st June 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    He just said:
    scent is like image or pics. Tv makes the pictures with combining of three colors : Red, Green, Blue (RGB). Scents made with several Basically notes too. we can make all of the scents just with a few notes.
    Hmmmmm, I think I'm am going to call BS on that one. There's no way the smell of a rotten egg, a fresh pastry, melted plastic, and freshly chopped foliage come from the same scent compounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound.

Maybe the same basic atoms are responsible for most scents, but it's a lot more complex than that.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st June 2010 at 04:28 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hmmmm, I think I'm am going to call BS on that one. There's no way the smell of a rotten egg, a fresh pastry, melted plastic, and freshly chopped foliage come from the same molecules. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound.
    P.T. Barnum said it best back in the 1840s: "There is a sucker born every minute."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hmmmmm, I think I'm am going to call BS on that one. There's no way the smell of a rotten egg, a fresh pastry, melted plastic, and freshly chopped foliage come from the same scent compounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound.

Maybe the same basic atoms are responsible for most scents, but it's a lot more complex than that.

I think this invention, such as another inventions is in primary stage. I don't think so it can make complex fragrance.

You’ll get the same amount of clicks by promissing a one in a million chance to win a free iPad – no custom hardware required.
    Last edited by Lorag; 1st June 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Watch the video. At about the 1:15 mark, they explain that nothing is actually "printed." A box containing about 50 pre-manufacturered scent strips of this ONE fragrance is mounted to the back of each monitor in selected internet cafes. When you click the banner on the webpage, the box dispenses a scent strip. I suppose someday Sephoras and similar shops might replace their tester bottles with scent strip vending machines. Click or touch the scent you want to try on a monitor, and a strip pops out from the dispenser. But I wouldn't expect that to happen until the cost of the strips and vending equipment is significantly less than the cost of a tester bottle.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 1st June 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Corrected video time
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    You’ll get the same amount of clicks by promissing a one in a million chance to win a free iPad – no custom hardware required.
    I expect that this did receive the significantly higher number of clicks claimed over traditional banner ads. First, there's the novelty of discovering if a scent strip can be "generated" from a computer. People wonder, "Will this really work?" and they click to find out. Second, you have a product immediately in hand. Presumably, there were no surveys, no personal info required, and you were promised an actual test strip to sniff and enjoy rather than "a chance to win." This probably did far better than fragrance manufacturers who offer to send strips by mail if you fill out their online form, again because of the immediacy in receiving the product and presumed lack of personal info required.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous