Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Davidoff Champion

Great - another sport fragrance..................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From nstperfume.com:

Davidoff will launch Champion, a new sport fragrance for men. The bottle is in the shape of a dumbbell, a “symbol of power and masculinity”.

Champion features notes of bergamot, lemon, clary sage, galbanum, oak moss and cedar.

Davidoff Champion will be available in 50 and 90 ml Eau de Toilette and in matching grooming products.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Davidoff CHAMPION

Coty hopes that Champion will be the biggest Davidoff's bestseller from the Cool Water times.

Champion features notes of bergamot, lemon, clary sage, galbanum, oak moss and cedar, definitely this is a sporty scent. I think they’ve decided to take the glory of 1 million and Only the Brave with a such bottle, but I like it though, and I'm sure thousands of men will buy Champion because of it (and of the name as well).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AntonPan; 1st June 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: New Fragrance: Davidoff Champion

I like the "bottle" but that's about it. I'm not excited at all.

Default Re: Davidoff CHAMPION

Looks like something Avon would create. Not my thing.
    Last edited by tabbakh; 1st June 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Sur la Plage

Well at least they didn't name it Cool Water Champion.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

I hope it's not another Allure Homme clone...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

The bottle looks classy,but not that original...
    http://www.basenotes.net/photos/st/26120227.jpg
    26120227.jpg
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Basenotes Plus

I'll stick with my back-up bottles of Zino, thanks. Nothing else of interest from this house. Pass.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 1st June 2010 at 04:09 PM.

They should have just called it, "Dumbbell."

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    They should have just called it, "Dumbbell."
    Word. I really dislike the current trend with mens fragrances.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Na, I 'l grant it the benefit of the doubt, bergamot, calry sage and oakmoss don't sound too bad to me, might be some citrussy fougere in the line of, hmmm, Monsieur Rochas.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Well at least they didn't name it Cool Water Champion.......
    @ petruccijc : bwhahahaha, I'm with you there!

@ general public:

I will not judge this one just yet, at least not until I try. I always say to myself: ˝they've created Zino˝. One other not bad from Davidoff is Silver Shadow private, quite solid oriental en par wit la nuit del homme. This house is capable of creating a good fragrance but they just lost somewhere on the road and rediscovered it with Adventure that didn't impress me, Adventure fraiche wich I really like and SHP already mentioned.

This dumbell thing - it's so diesel and waaay too mainstream. I like a good barbell and dumbell workout, I workout on the regular basis, but the bottle is kind of cool and yet it is tacky too. Bottle is implying - guy with the muscle will wear this, and we usually picture this butch as someone who has a low vocabulary, don't know shit about history and math - he simply is, he da man and he gon' wear this.

The bottle itself is in fact the marketing here. Doesn't mean that the juice will be bad, it might just happen it'll be really good, but because of the bottle a lot of ppl will be put off, yet mainstream raging teen gym hormones will raid the stores for this - merely because of the bottle. Puzzling how much the ambalage works for ppl in socio-psychological way. For instance - what if the bottle was no way near to this design, would the scent be percieved differently? The answer is YES. What might happen is that we have a good quality juice easily discarded because of the tacky bottle design, but yet again bottle or no bottle, juice might be utter nauseating crap but the bottle will justify its crappiness much better. Of course scepticism is justified for we've seen and smelled generic crap lately from houses we thought we could not smell such...and they have really appealing bottles too.
    Last edited by Zgb; 1st June 2010 at 07:46 PM.

bah...another sport fragrance.

The ingredient list doesnt tell me anything but i dont think i will be surprised if it will smell like something that is out right now

FINALLY! I was waiting for another sport fragrance.

I really thought sport fragrances were something from the 90s.. I thought it would be old by now.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Davidoff's attempt to penetrate the gym rat market -

You cannot possibly get more generic than those notes. I could have sworn it reminded me of the notes for 50 Cent Power, but I was wrong, plugging those notes in to a fragrance search you get the following....

Loewe Esencia Pour Homme: Shares ALL notes in common.

Rochas Monsieur Rochas: Shares ALL notes in common.

Lacoste Lacoste Pour Homme: (yep, you guessed it) Shares ALL notes in common.

Snore.

Edit: Timaru beat me on the Monsieur Rochas tip. Lol
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st June 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I'd like to be positive, but the signs really do point to the negative here. Hopefully we'll be surprised.

Tacky in all aspects. The uninspired name, the awful bottle, the bland-as-hell notes.

One would hope they overload the oak moss like in Paco Rabanne PH or Aramis
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I will not get my hopes up.....Gary

Actually I`m going to try it first. There`re some doubts that they make some great vintage-style green woody cologne, and expectations are high that they spent all the budget on the name - but who knows? Nose knows, as always.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

The notes don't actually sound bad. If the oakmoss and galbanum are there in appreciable quantities, this could be a good hybrid modern/vintage mossy citrus chypre type scent.

Also, I found the following comment on NST which gives me a bit more hope:

"I smelled Champion at a Coty training last month and I have to say that it is probably the best mass market release for men this year. I am really surprised that it is called a sport fragrance as it has a lot more in common with Antaeus than Cool Water. The juice is really wonderful and has great depth with the sparkling quality of a great chypre. It was a real surprise as there releases have not been as exciting. I would encourage everyone to try this very happy development."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'd get it if the bottle was the shape of a Yoga mat. Otherwise...
    Last edited by adonis; 2nd June 2010 at 12:06 PM.

I'll reserve judgment until it becomes available.

Hate the name, the bottle (can't stand all these odd shaped bottles - JPG Le Male has a lot to answer for) and the advertising campaign, but I think the notes actually make it sound like it might be quite good. I'll certainly give it at least a test.

It is nice to see something in a 90 ml bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You cannot possibly get more generic than those notes. I could have sworn it reminded me of the notes for 50 Cent Power, but I was wrong, plugging those notes in to a fragrance search you get the following....

Loewe Esencia Pour Homme: Shares ALL notes in common.

Rochas Monsieur Rochas: Shares ALL notes in common.

Lacoste Lacoste Pour Homme: (yep, you guessed it) Shares ALL notes in common.

Snore.

Edit: Timaru beat me on the Monsieur Rochas tip. Lol

Haha, I didnt even search for it, the notes just reminded me of my Monsieur Rochas.
    Since that one is awesome, I'l reserve my judgement for after trying the juice.
    Last edited by timaru; 2nd June 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Has this been released anywhere yet? Has anyone tried it?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I like the bottle, and I'm very exited that this may be the improved Lemon/grass version of Chanel's Allure Blanche without the dusty base.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I like the "bottle" but that's about it. I'm not excited at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I always say to myself: ˝they've created Zino˝. One other not bad from Davidoff is Silver Shadow private, quite solid oriental en par wit la nuit del homme. This house is capable of creating a good fragrance
    They released Cool Water, which is probably the most iconic men's release of all time, imo for good reason, the 90's formulations of Cool Water were incredibly good. i like Silver Shadow pvt, and I even sort of liked Davidoff Adventure, none enough to buy of course.

Fingers crossed for champion.

Btw, did Champion ever release a fragrance?

AromiErotici

Davidoff Classic and Zino are in my drobe since the are substantial releases. I can't say I have had an interest in the other releases from this house since I'm not an aquatic guy. Cool Water isn't terrible by any means....just not my style.

Hopefully, this new release will be better than we expect..............or not. lol.

Sur la Plage

Basenotes Institution

Looks like a Soloflex ad. Not that that's a bad thing.

Blog Entries

-blunt post, please dont get offended anyone-

The reason this will sell is because of the male ego and the cultural homophobia among men. To wear a fragrance is "gay", to wear one with a long french name confirms this. The reason this will sell is because it alleviates this fear. "Oh what are you wearing?" "ONLY THE MOST F***ING MACHO F***ING COLOGNE (not fragrance, thats too "gay") EVER. THE CHICKS DIG IT, AND IT COMES IN A DUMBELL SO I CAN GET F***ING JACKED WHILE I WEAR IT! ITS CHAMPION BABY HOO-AHHH!!!!!!!!!". The whole appeal is too this macho homophobic group, who chances are, are in some sort of denial and compensate with dumb stuff like this
    Last edited by Neurosis; 21st July 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I think I see what you mean Neurosis.

Nonetheless, I think there are a bunch of guys (of any particular sexual orientation) who will giggle their ass off when they see this bottle. Regardless of how it smells.

They should have made the bottle into a 6' barbell instead of a dumbbell. Sissies.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I think the notes sound great, and on the money for a sporty masculine.
    I hope they put them to good use. It may well be a top notch "cologne"

The bottle needs to be heavy material with steel ends. Like Zirh IKON
    I'm actually looking forward to this.

Tried it today. First off I felt like a complete pillock spraying from this stupid plastic dumbbell. Tackiest bottle design ever.

Scent is the epitome of generic. Smells like 50 other citrusy sport fragrances out there. Quite a peppery lemon in the opening, nothing special whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Tried it today. First off I felt like a complete pillock spraying from this stupid plastic dumbbell. Tackiest bottle design ever.

Scent is the epitome of generic. Smells like 50 other citrusy sport fragrances out there. Quite a peppery lemon in the opening, nothing special whatsoever.
    I completely agree. Vile, tacky bottle and ultra-generic smell.

Crap.

shame...

Forgot about testing this already. Is it in macy's yet?

I'm in the minority, I know. I actually believe Davidoff is one of the better fragrance houses: certainly leagues ahead of CK, for example. CW is an undisputed classic. CW Frozen is one of my faves for the heat. Zino is brilliant. Silver Shadow is a superb take on saffron. Silver Shadow attitude a great grapefruit... I've yet to try Silver Shadow Private, but I've heard great things about it. I've grown to love Adventure (after a shaky start). I've sniffed Amazonia once and was impressed.

Yep, I respect Davidoff.

But I DO hate this bottle!

Sur la Plage

The bottle reminds me of a Shake Weight.

I tried this on paper in London yesterday and the test strip still smells very strong more than 24 hours later. So this appears to have good staying power. I've not tried it on skin yet but I assume it will also have quite strong sillage.

So what does it smell like; It is very different from most of the other Davidoff's I've tried. I was surprised to find it was not yet another fresh/marine smell. To me the main notes I got were citrus/pepper drying down to pepper/wood. This smells similar to Molecule 01 so it probably has a larger than normal dose of Iso E Super (or similar). If you like Molecule then this could be a good and cheaper alternative. It also has that slight addictive quality that Iso E Super has (that also worries me it might be a bit dangerous)

Not sure if I like it enough to buy it yet. On initial test it seems a bit one-dimensional, Iso E Super being the prevailing note, but with a twist of citric pepper. On the paper it smells cheapish. I'll give it a go on my skin as I do like Molecule 01. However, Molecule can go "sour" sometimes and this already has some citrus so it might be even more prone to that. Anyway, I'll test on skin and let you know.

Wow, Davidoff keep disappointing me in their fragrances. I love the brand when it comes to the rest of their products, but their fragrances are getting worse and worse (since the original Silver Shadow). And the bottle, while nice on it's on, is really trashy looking compared to the usually simple and classy davidoff bottles. As for the scents itself, sport fragrances are always a disappointment, save for Allure.

I've tried today. For me, it's very elegant, but light fragrance. Lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin, and I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. I'm really suprised. 44 pounds for 90ml. in John Levis. Only bottle looks stupid

A modern copy of Chanel Egoiste Platinum.

Surprised how some of you could name this just fresh and uninteresting. Champion has a classy masculine vibe, that reminds of Chanel Egoiste Platinum a lot. Strong and invigorating fragrance that can be named modern chypre, but not aquatic or something else.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    A modern copy of Chanel Egoiste Platinum.

Surprised how some of you could name this just fresh and uninteresting. Champion has a classy masculine vibe, that reminds of Chanel Egoiste Platinum a lot. Strong and invigorating fragrance that can be named modern chypre, but not aquatic or something else.
    When it smells like a copy of something, what does that tell you about the scent?

But it does have a good projection, I'll give it that. I just hope no gym rat is stupid enough to 'sport' the sillage in the gym.

I tried Bleu de Chanel on the back of one hand and Champion on the back of the other. After five minutes the two were indistinguishable.

Don't you think that a bottle shaped like a dumbbell is just trying wayyy to hard? I'd be embarrassed to have that in my collection frankly. Still, if you like Bleu, this is a cheaper option although Bleu does have the nicer bottle.

Either way, it's not very good.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I ordered it online last friday and got it yesterday. It was a blind buy for me, It's kinda overpowering to my nose but it has good longevity on my skin. So I'm kind of in the middle, I would rate it 5 out of 10. But test it yourself if you can find a sample.

Bought this today. Very fresh and pleasant. Reminds me of the original Claiborne for Men (green bottle with red cap).

Great scent for non-basenoters (ie overly critical). Giving a gift set to my brother for Christmas. Aside from the bottle (tacky city), smells pretty good. Lasts quite a while too.