Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

Yup!

....Grapefruit, Cardamom, Cypress-wood, Geranium Leaves, Juniper Berries, Cedarwood, Leather and Guaiacwood...and did I say GRAPEFRUIT!!??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

The power of bleu

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

I don't have a lot of citrus scents in my wardrobe, but Fresh Strawberry Flowers is one that I bought blind. Some of you may remember me searching for a strawberry scent (it's been like THREE years!) and when I saw this and read the notes, I couldn't stop myself. Unfortunately, I don't smell any strawberries. Fortunately, I do smell a crisp, bubbly, citrus-y concoction that is just perfect for hot summer days (or nights!). With the temperatures flirting with 100 degrees today, wearing Strawberry Flowers is like drinking a refreshing cold lemonade. And that is what this scent reminds me of: fresh squeezed lemonade with a dusting of sugar on the rim of the glass. Even though, lemon is NOT listed in the notes, it has to be there. The down side? the lasting power is terrible!

Mandarin, Yuzu, White peach, Mountain Strawberries, Freesia, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Orris, Musk, White woods.

Wow, Kumquat, that Acqua Viva sounds special!

I have very much enjoyed my day in The Different Company's Bergamote. Listed notes are bergamot, ginger, orange flowers, vert-de-feuille (green leaf), rhubarb wood and musk. It's a warm citrus fragrance, bringing to mind a glorious yellow-orange color, but it's also refreshing enough to wear in the heat. Highly recommended!

Shades, your description of FSF is precise! I suspect Yuzu, which is a citrus fruit, to be the lemony lift in that frag...although I've never smelled it "solo".
    Quarry! Thanks for thinking of me...certainly your friend will appreciate your kindness! (You know I'm pulling for her!) Boston is right around the corner and the excitement is mounting!

My SOTD is a citrus suprise! Prelude to love...invitation By Kilian

The opening is totally citrus - lemon, orange, bergamot. The best part is the ginger note in the middle, which carbonates this blend giving such a common opening act a noticably unique effervescence! Some think ginger is soapy smelling, but not here. There is also listed Neroli & Orange Blossom in the heart - which I thought were one in the same - nevertheless, I don't smell those florals very distinctly. In the base, the note that ALWAYS snags me and reels me in ~ Iris! Actually, it is listed as Florentine Iris. Not certain of the detail on that one, but I can assure you, this blend is high quality! Close wearing, with average longevity. Such simple notes yet the smell is special and not very familiar. I keep snorfling my wrist, trying to get more of the smell. The blending is seamless. I'd love a bottle, but it's SUPER pricey. For now, my sample will do. If you get a chance to try this, or any of the By Kilian fragrances - PLEASE DO!!!

Eau de Rochas today - all manner of light citrussy spicy goodness.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

As I am reading through yesterday's posts, you're making me want to apply every other scent named. Green, floral and/or citrus scents are such a big lure.

Thanks for the Dimitri quote, actiasluna: "as if having just washed ones hair in natural rainwater that has been perfumed with tiny flowers." He possesses more attractive qualities than any one man should!

Warum, I sooo relate to what you wrote about JM LB&M, which I'm wearing today. The first time I tried it (a long time ago), I gave it one star, and now it half speaks to me. Your cilantro reference makes sense to me, too. I've read that Nouveau Bowery is an improvement on LB&M, so will have to make that comparison.

May headaches never interrupt your pleasures again, RHM!

Thanks, my dears, for shining a light on citrusy scents.
    "I live in the garden, I just sleep in the house." -- Jim Long
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Herms

Keeping it really simple today with one of my favorite "summer" orange scents... Fragonard Fleur d'Oranger. This is one of the few neroli-heavy scents that doesn't go waxy and brown on my skin, but instead stays sweet and cheerful. Love it, especially in humid, awful weather.

Fleur d'Oranger notes: Neroli blossom, bergamot, jasmine and musk.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 6th June 2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

I wore Lemon Sugar yesterday. I know it's not popular here, and seems to be likened to Lemon Pledge, but I get the MOST compliments on that fragrance of anything else I wear, and yesterday was no exception. I had a man insist that I tell him where to get it so he could get it for his wife. Who knew?

Starting off quite literal with Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. Listed notes are grapefruit, orange, rose, rhubofix, and vetiver. I get virtually no rose, which was disappointing the first time I sprayed this. This is pretty much a "solifruit" for me, but I love the zingy, tart pink grapefruit note, which is almost all I do get. I get just hints of orange and rhubofix (which apparently is supposed to smell like green rhubarb), with a bit of vetiver in the drydown. Great longevity, especially for a citrus, and it doesn't go all B.O. on my skin, unlike some grapefruit frags.

EDIT: still getting grapefruit, but there's a mineral note along with vetiver accompanying it in the drydown.

I may go out for a quick shopping trip, in which case Calyx is going to get a spritz.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 6th June 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: update
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Quarry, being as much of a nerd as I am, while I was still wearing JM LB&M, I went and sniffed a bag of basil (which I got from the same French guy who complimented my Ruban d'Orange, by the way!) and I can see some similarity. I did not crush the basil, just smelled the bag, and I can see how what is coming from under a mandarin actually can be, in fact, basil. I'll have to get a big bunch of cilantro and compare again!

Concentree Bigarade by Jean-Claude Ellena. For me THE citrus scent. Often described as a "sweaty orange". Unbelievably naturalistic orange peel which is deepened by rose and a musky drydown. What I absolutely love about this scent is that it is fresh, but not sharp and cool. It is warm and yet never sweet or cloying. It is one of the rare citrus scents that is not too clean and airy, but which actually dries down to a comforting skin scent. It is very sexy.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hey, welcome, Klute!
    I agree with you 100%. I got me a big ol' bottle of the CB, and I don't do full bottles for just any scent. It's all those things you said, and it actually has character and some longevity, which is rare in this category. Great unisex fragrance option.
    "I live in the garden, I just sleep in the house." -- Jim Long
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Herms