Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Smile All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009
    Green July 2008, July 2009
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

Yay!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 1st June 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

Perfect time of the year for citrus. Looking forward to seeing what everyone will choose!

Oh, one of my favorite categories, many choices here
    Evenstar

Hmmm... time to get out my neglected Bergamote, perhaps.

Wow, can't believe it's that time of the month again!
    Off the top of my head it'll have to be Colonia by Aqua di Parma, but I shall search my treasure chest.

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Lol! I love you.

I think today's post at Perfume Posse has inspired me to make a field trip to Bath and Body Works tomorrow to try White Citrus.

Smile Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 5, 2010 ★★★ CITRUS

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I think today's post at Perfume Posse has inspired me to make a field trip to Bath and Body Works tomorrow to try White Citrus.
    Agree..I must try it, especially since the price is SO right. I may be wearing Fresh's Lemon Sugar tomorrow. I get more compliments on that little fragrance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    OMG...they are so cute...just looking at them cheered me up on this dreary day....thanks

I shall be in Pecksniff's Grapefruit EdP today!

It's s sharp, sour, refreshing and extremely realistic grapefruit peel scent.
    Last edited by soirdelune; 5th June 2010 at 08:45 AM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Oh, dear -- citrus! I have to give my brain a good once over, because I don't think I have anything in the citrus range. Maybe one of my samples will have a citrus note or two. I'll investigate!
    Ah! I can wear Sabi -- it has quite a few citrus notes. Yay!
    Last edited by Leesee; 5th June 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: more to say

Basenotes Plus

Jo Malone Sweet Lime & Cedar. There are lots of notes listed for this one but the name pretty much describes it. It's a sweet (as in not sour or sharp) citrus warmed by gently spiced woody accents. Soothing and subtle.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lubin L'Eau Neuve.

Per Fragrantica: Top notes are orange, lavender, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, clary sage, jasmine, caraway, rose and marjoram; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss, cedar and white musk.

Starts off a bit camphorous (Tania Sanchez calls it a Tiger Balm Chypre), but I find it very citrusy.
    Last edited by Furriner; 5th June 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Starting the day with my all-time favorite citrus, Creed Neroli Sauvage. It's a creamy, sweet citrus, not sharp or pungent. I love it. Possibly my most-complimented fragrance. Perfectly unisex. Highly recommended for Citrus Day.

Here are mine, bright and early...

Versace Versense

Bergamot, Mandarin, Prickly Pear, Sea Daffodil, Cardamom, Jasmine, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Olive Tree, Musk.

I didn’t care much for this the first time I tried it, but sampling it again this morning (from a mailer that I rubbed over my wrists – now gone after walking the dog) it seems very nice indeed, perfect for the weather we’ve been having – hot and humid. It is crisp, citrusy and green in the top. I don’t smell cardamom but I’d have to give it a proper sampling. If only I didn’t find the woods somewhat harsh. Whatever they’re using that they’re calling woods these days has a scratchy irritating quality to my nose, but it’s not really bad here, just a touch.

Dior Escale Portofino
    Calabrian bergamot, Italian citron, Sicilian petitgrain, bitter almond, orange blossom, juniper berry, cold spices, cypress, cedar, white musk, caraway and galbanum.

My 2nd SotM. I love this one because it’s both pretty AND refreshing, both crisp AND floral, and the woods in this one don’t seem scratchy to me. The whole thing falls together into a perfectly arranged composition. If I can’t have this one I’ll stick with 4711, but I’d rather have this one.

Tonight...I'm not sure yet but Shalimar may be calling my name.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

(Lilybelle reminds me to pull out the Portofino later.)

I'm wearing Marc Jacobs Lemon (reminds me of our dear Ubu who I'm excited to reunite with in Boston next month!), which I dug out this week in order to apply it to a birthday card for a friend who has become sensitive to odors since her brain surgery a couple years ago. MJL strikes me as being simple and neutral enough to not offend (maybe even appeal to?) my friend.

This lemon is acid-free and fairly floral. It's not quite as nature-like as I usually demand of my preferred scents, but it's thankfully not as artificial as the majority of modern frags strike me.

Everybody have a refreshing day!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

A Citrus Gourmande for me!

Crazy Libellule & the Poppies, Vanilla Lemon Pie.

Notes: Lemon, Vanilla, Almond, Neroli, Orange, Heliotrope, Caramel

Sweet, but tart. Lemon Meringue Pie, when the tips of the meringue caramelise but stay gooey soft inside, over a thick homemade lemon curd. It's the Western Loukhoum: sweet comforting memories of patisseries, coffee shops and special day desserts.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Decided to wear Annick Goutal's Mandragore today. Perfect in the heat and humidity, and I love how the orange top notes meld into something woody-stemmy-spicy smelling.

Have a great citrus Saturday, everyone!

Berdoues 1902 Naturelle

Blog Entries

Francisco de Zurbaran, 1633
    Profumum - Acqua Viva
    The boldest burst of citrus known.
    Then the sweetness of childhood lemonade stands.
    Broom flower and cypress wrap themselves close to my heart.
    The wood soothes and anchors the gay, cheerful yellow.

Notes; Amalfi lemon, Sicilian broom flower, cypress, cedar

Layering Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana's clary sage, basil, and lavender oils and notes of cypress... and Xerjoff's Casamorati 1888 Fiore di Ulivo which our Dimitri describes best: "Fresh citrus and lotus flower rest at the top of this scent, where the gentle olive blooms take a starring role. For anyone who has smelled olive blossoms straight from the tree, Fiore d'Ulivo is a very accomplished rendering of that lovely perfume. Tender jasmine and magnolia emphasise the floral facet, and there is a lush soapiness present which conjures a sense of vivifying purity; as if having just washed ones hair in natural rainwater that has been perfumed with tiny flowers. Clean amber and musk lie beneath which add depth and a feeling of richness to the mix.... "
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Hello everyone!

I'm in Ineke's juicy Chemical Bonding - I love those peonies with my oranges!

Top notes - smooth citrus cocktail, blackberry and tea
    Middle notes - dewy peony
    Base notes - vetiver, amber, powdery musk

Still Life with Pitcher, Peonies and Oranges - 1906, Paula Modersohn-Becker

MAN y'all smell jes' FAHN!! (hope today's going better Gupts. 'Vangeline I'm with you on CB...wish I'd a thought of it. But the day's young...)

Started off with a sample of Laura Biagotti's Roma....lotsa grapefruit and herbs that settled into....FIGS?? Didn't last that long so went for some more Mecheri and am currently in the "vivid and sun-drenched flesh of the bloody orange of Sicily nuanced with a dash of hesperides"....Sanguine. Ackshully it has been a more lemon-y orange on me and slightly musky. Refreshing but not a compelling frag for this chick.

May head for Brooklyn later on!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th June 2010 at 04:56 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Greetings fellow sniffers. Today is a typical early June gloom foggy day in Coastal California, which I love - but didn't want a "beachy" citrus which was better suited to a very hot day. Believe I found some good candidates in these two choices.

On the left wrist is GIEFFEFFE
    Per Perfume Intelligence: 1995 Created by Michele Saramito in association with Diana de Silva Cosmetiques; a fresh citrus edt with top notes of orange, lemon and bergamot, heart notes of osmanthus, rose, cardamom, patchouli and frankincense on base notes of sandalwood, nutmeg and musk. Presented in a white cylindrical canister with silver cap and script designed by Gianfranco Ferr

Other scent on right wrist is ZEN EDP the re-orchestration in the gold squatty cubed bottle

Top notes are grapefruit, bergamot, peach, pineapple and blue rose; mid notes include freesia, gardenia, red apple, violet, lily of the valley, hyacinth, rose from China and lotus flower; base notes include patchouli, cedar, musk, white musk, amber, incense and marine plant

Enjoy the remainder of your scented Saturday

Edited to add: switched to ROMA for SOTE
    Last edited by knit at nite; 6th June 2010 at 07:24 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

As promised, I am wearing the gorgeous Sabi. From a review by glitteralex, the composition of the scent is as follows:

Top Notes of Italian Mandarin, Carnation, Angelica Seed, Orangeflower Absolute, & Bergamot Oil;

Middle Notes of Hyacinth, Jonquil Absolute, Jasmine Absolute French, Narcisse, Violet Leave, & Tuberose;

Base Notes of East Indian Sandalwood, Haitian Vetivert, Tonka, & Musk.

This scent has so many twists and turns, all of them charming. The opening moments are very zingy, green, and piercingly bright. The jasmine and tuberose are fairly dominant on me after the scent has been on my skin for about an hour. But then the base notes finally take center stage and the end result is just so smooth, warm, and dry. If it had not been for a generous BNer, I never would have known this scent existed.
    Thank you, generous BNer!

Basenotes Plus

I needed to wear something really innoucous today, as I woke up with a tenacious headache. Creed's Irisia was what I applied first, as I knew it had the bergamot top note. However, it really bothered me today & I had to wash it off. That was a first, must have been the headache. So I went with something really "tame", Asprey's Purple Water. (Top Notes Mandarin, Lemon, Jacaranda. Middle Notes Orange Blossom, Basil, White Ginger. Base Notes Pepper, Vetiver, Musk. ) This is just about as middle of the road "cologne", as you can get. Once featured at high end shops, it can be easily (and affordably) found at Marshalls & TJMAXX.

A clean, little soapy (some say synthetic) but won't make your headache worse, scent.

Bah humbug!

Wish my head felt better, so I could wear some "real" fragrance.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Hello Everyone!
    Sniff and Speak is fun!
    I found that I don't have a lot of citrus fragrances, and haven't been craving them lately. Old FBs of Clinique Happy (which wears with some grapefruit smell on me) and Elizabeth Arden Green Tea (orange and tea) did not inspire me sufficiently, so I dug through the samples pile. The first one, listed on Fragrantica as "Citrus", was L'Occitane Ruban d'Orange. I put it on and went to the market. Well, that one gave me a compliment from a guy from France whom I met there! How fun was that! I liked it, but it's not earth-shattering nor is a big love. It's a carefully blended lemon and cedar with very tame grassy scent (perhaps vetiver?) on me. A safe choice for a Summer daytime, would be fine for the office, but it just didn't make my heart beat. The lasting power didn't excite me either, but it was one of those store samples, so I'm sure if you apply a fragrance it would last fine. All L'Occitanes last great on me.

Then I decided that it's a good day to make up my mind finally about Jo Malone Lime, Basil, and Mandarine, listed on Fragrantica as Citrus Aromatic. I didn't like it when I tried it first, so it's time to make up my mind. I apply with a heavy hand and got a lovely sweet juicy mandarin with a hint of bergamot, the first 5 minutes were lovely, but then the warring began (check out hilarious review by Live Jazz! I really liked it!). I'm getting cilantro smelling from under my mandarine. What an unlucky marriage, and while I love cilantro, I just don't like to smell like it or I don't like it in a combo with a sweet clementine or perhaps both! It doesn't smell like basil to me at all.

Next ones on my list are Chemical Bonding and Field Notes from Paris by Ineke.

I was doing major housework all day today, had my hands and arms in and out of dishwater, window cleaner, detergent...
    So only now can I join in the citrus party, with Hyperessence Matale by Parfumerie Generale.

According to their own documentation:

"Hyperessence Matale
    Citrus...Black Tea...Woody
    The sophistication of Eau Rare Matale brought to an unequalled level of concentration... A top note highlighted with citrus and jasmine.
    The sophistication of black Matale tea heightened by the modernity of a blend of cedar leaves, musk and pepper. All the refinement of the Tea Ceremony is vividly evoked.
    Bergamote, Jasmin, Menthe, Th Noir Matale, Feuilles de Cdre, Poivres, Muscs."

I'll just say: it is amazing. The citrus doesn't die out, it is not just a top note. It keeps humming along, warming slowly approaching drydown with smoky tea and pepper and cedar notes peeping in and out and down and around... it's citrus Jim, but not as we know it.
    Last edited by synergy; 5th June 2010 at 09:50 PM.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Yup!

....Grapefruit, Cardamom, Cypress-wood, Geranium Leaves, Juniper Berries, Cedarwood, Leather and Guaiacwood...and did I say GRAPEFRUIT!!??

summer means fireflys

I don't have a lot of citrus scents in my wardrobe, but Fresh Strawberry Flowers is one that I bought blind. Some of you may remember me searching for a strawberry scent (it's been like THREE years!) and when I saw this and read the notes, I couldn't stop myself. Unfortunately, I don't smell any strawberries. Fortunately, I do smell a crisp, bubbly, citrus-y concoction that is just perfect for hot summer days (or nights!). With the temperatures flirting with 100 degrees today, wearing Strawberry Flowers is like drinking a refreshing cold lemonade. And that is what this scent reminds me of: fresh squeezed lemonade with a dusting of sugar on the rim of the glass. Even though, lemon is NOT listed in the notes, it has to be there. The down side? the lasting power is terrible!

Mandarin, Yuzu, White peach, Mountain Strawberries, Freesia, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Orris, Musk, White woods.

Wow, Kumquat, that Acqua Viva sounds special!

I have very much enjoyed my day in The Different Company's Bergamote. Listed notes are bergamot, ginger, orange flowers, vert-de-feuille (green leaf), rhubarb wood and musk. It's a warm citrus fragrance, bringing to mind a glorious yellow-orange color, but it's also refreshing enough to wear in the heat. Highly recommended!

Shades, your description of FSF is precise! I suspect Yuzu, which is a citrus fruit, to be the lemony lift in that frag...although I've never smelled it "solo".
    Quarry! Thanks for thinking of me...certainly your friend will appreciate your kindness! (You know I'm pulling for her!) Boston is right around the corner and the excitement is mounting!

My SOTD is a citrus suprise! Prelude to love...invitation By Kilian

The opening is totally citrus - lemon, orange, bergamot. The best part is the ginger note in the middle, which carbonates this blend giving such a common opening act a noticably unique effervescence! Some think ginger is soapy smelling, but not here. There is also listed Neroli & Orange Blossom in the heart - which I thought were one in the same - nevertheless, I don't smell those florals very distinctly. In the base, the note that ALWAYS snags me and reels me in ~ Iris! Actually, it is listed as Florentine Iris. Not certain of the detail on that one, but I can assure you, this blend is high quality! Close wearing, with average longevity. Such simple notes yet the smell is special and not very familiar. I keep snorfling my wrist, trying to get more of the smell. The blending is seamless. I'd love a bottle, but it's SUPER pricey. For now, my sample will do. If you get a chance to try this, or any of the By Kilian fragrances - PLEASE DO!!!

Eau de Rochas today - all manner of light citrussy spicy goodness.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

As I am reading through yesterday's posts, you're making me want to apply every other scent named. Green, floral and/or citrus scents are such a big lure.

Thanks for the Dimitri quote, actiasluna: "as if having just washed ones hair in natural rainwater that has been perfumed with tiny flowers." He possesses more attractive qualities than any one man should!

Warum, I sooo relate to what you wrote about JM LB&M, which I'm wearing today. The first time I tried it (a long time ago), I gave it one star, and now it half speaks to me. Your cilantro reference makes sense to me, too. I've read that Nouveau Bowery is an improvement on LB&M, so will have to make that comparison.

May headaches never interrupt your pleasures again, RHM!

Thanks, my dears, for shining a light on citrusy scents.

Keeping it really simple today with one of my favorite "summer" orange scents... Fragonard Fleur d'Oranger. This is one of the few neroli-heavy scents that doesn't go waxy and brown on my skin, but instead stays sweet and cheerful. Love it, especially in humid, awful weather.

Fleur d'Oranger notes: Neroli blossom, bergamot, jasmine and musk.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 6th June 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I wore Lemon Sugar yesterday. I know it's not popular here, and seems to be likened to Lemon Pledge, but I get the MOST compliments on that fragrance of anything else I wear, and yesterday was no exception. I had a man insist that I tell him where to get it so he could get it for his wife. Who knew?

Starting off quite literal with Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. Listed notes are grapefruit, orange, rose, rhubofix, and vetiver. I get virtually no rose, which was disappointing the first time I sprayed this. This is pretty much a "solifruit" for me, but I love the zingy, tart pink grapefruit note, which is almost all I do get. I get just hints of orange and rhubofix (which apparently is supposed to smell like green rhubarb), with a bit of vetiver in the drydown. Great longevity, especially for a citrus, and it doesn't go all B.O. on my skin, unlike some grapefruit frags.

EDIT: still getting grapefruit, but there's a mineral note along with vetiver accompanying it in the drydown.

I may go out for a quick shopping trip, in which case Calyx is going to get a spritz.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 6th June 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: update
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Quarry, being as much of a nerd as I am, while I was still wearing JM LB&M, I went and sniffed a bag of basil (which I got from the same French guy who complimented my Ruban d'Orange, by the way!) and I can see some similarity. I did not crush the basil, just smelled the bag, and I can see how what is coming from under a mandarin actually can be, in fact, basil. I'll have to get a big bunch of cilantro and compare again!

Concentree Bigarade by Jean-Claude Ellena. For me THE citrus scent. Often described as a "sweaty orange". Unbelievably naturalistic orange peel which is deepened by rose and a musky drydown. What I absolutely love about this scent is that it is fresh, but not sharp and cool. It is warm and yet never sweet or cloying. It is one of the rare citrus scents that is not too clean and airy, but which actually dries down to a comforting skin scent. It is very sexy.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hey, welcome, Klute!
    I agree with you 100%. I got me a big ol' bottle of the CB, and I don't do full bottles for just any scent. It's all those things you said, and it actually has character and some longevity, which is rare in this category. Great unisex fragrance option.