Code of Conduct

Default Aftershave in a Spray Bottle: Really?

A few years ago I got a bottle of Altitude (Swiss Army) aftershave. It came in a spray bottle. I guess the idea is that I spray it on my face and then scream as it stings my eyes. Well, at least that's what I did.

I only mention it because I want others to know this sort of thing exists. Why, I don't know.

Default Re: Aftershave in a Spray Bottle: Really?

Wheren't many older After Shaves designed as spray bottles and rather just desinfectant, cooling low intesity colognes?

Monsieur Rochas i e , one of my few vintage frags, came with the after shave and its just that - a spray bottle. Just too much ethanol for my skin but very likable and -i believe- funktional.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    A few years ago I got a bottle of Altitude (Swiss Army) aftershave. It came in a spray bottle. I guess the idea is that I spray it on my face and then scream as it stings my eyes. Well, at least that's what I did.

I only mention it because I want others to know this sort of thing exists. Why, I don't know.
    Knucklehead. You are supposed to spray it into a small puddle in one palm, then splash it into your eyes.

Seriously, spray-on aftershave makes no sense to me, either.
    Last edited by RJR; 1st June 2010 at 06:31 PM.

I have a bottle of Ungaro II that is an aftershave spray--very strange....

You can still find bottles of Cool Water Aftershave Spray. I'm not sure if there is a difference with the standard aftershave splash.

Personally, I like aftershave lotions whether in spray or splash form. Yes they can sting momentarily but I find them far more effective than these weak alcohol-free balms.

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    Knucklehead. You are supposed to spray it into a small puddle in one palm, then splash it into your eyes.

Seriously, spray-on aftershave makes no sense to me, either.
    That made me laugh out loud.

First of all,,, nothing better than a good sting after shaving...!
    I don't mind a aftershave spray bottle. At least you are not losing anything when you spray in your palm and then apply it to your neck/chin area.
    Sometimes aftershave splash bottles are a bit tricky. When the bottle opening is big you will lose some juice when you pour it in your hand.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I decanted a couple of aftershave frags into spray bottles. Chopard Casran and Zegna Colonia to be exact.

Now that you bought that bottle start shaving in places far from your eyes. I could be worse. It could have been aftershave balm in a spray bottle.

I saw and used a bottle of neroli "facial sprtiz" at a local restaurant. I liked it. I just closed me eyes before spraying.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st June 2010 at 10:18 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

That reminds me. I once had a small paper container of Givenchy Pi. I tried to decant the cologne into a spray vial. Image my reaction when
    balm started flowing into the container.

I just "blind" bought a 100 ml spray bottle of M. de Moribito aftershave. I read on a blog that it was very powerful as an EdT (or "colgone") so I thought the AS might be just right, and I was really lucky that it was exactly what I was looking for. I sprayed it once to the chest and it was still going strong enough to be appreciated 7 hours later !

I have an old bottle of Azzaro after-shave spray kicking around. The idea was to spray your hands first, then wipe your face.
    Back in the day, most colognes were called cologne - not Eau de Toilette. And they were pour bottles, not spray.

Yep, how many of you remember the TV commercial about the "cold slap in the face" ?

I Love AS Sprays.....Jivago 24K has an AS Spray..... Diesel Fuel For Life has an AS Spray.....Antidote by Viktor & Rolf has an AS Spray.....There are plenty more too.....Gary

After shave liquid is the same stuff as EDT, only more dilute. The more you open the bottle, expose it to air, hit it's opening against skin, the more likely you are to eventually have the bottle go off.

What's more, a significant proportion of the aftershave liquid is wasted - it drips off hands between fingers, gets stuck on hands and is then washed off - it is not going on the face where it is supposed to.

For these reasons, after shave spray makes perfect sense to me, as does decanting aftershave splash into spray atomisers.
    Drakkar Noir used to sell a 50ml bottle of after shave spray for the same price as 100ml bottle of after shave splash.
    I own Laguna and Arpege Homme aftershave spray bottles.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd June 2010 at 02:41 PM.

My thought is that the manufacturers probably save money since the after shave is often bottled in the same spray bottle as the EDT. Since the prime motivator for any corporate action nowadays is increasing profits by lowering production costs, it would make sense that they would be bottling after shave in spray bottles.

After Shave in a spray bottle is, in my opinion, not functional. After Shave in the "pour" format does make sense, since you readily get enough of a dose to cover the surface area of your face (rather than having to spray 20 shots into your hands before dispersal).
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 2nd June 2010 at 10:53 PM.

I spray Essensa di Zegna Edt straight on the face, after a shave. Am I doing something wrong?

im not sure of the movie, but i remember a scene in wich a guy is getting ready for a date and grabs his aftershave, pumps it towards the ceiling and catches the drops in his other hand, on the other side of his body...pump, catch/ pump, catch- then rubs his hands together and does the facial pat-down. it looked really cool and ive been able to replicate it here and there with certain bottles. anyone remember this? it might be john ritter... not sure, it was a while ago

Although very rare, I have seen a few come in a spray.