Code of Conduct

Talking Apres L'Ondee and Chandler Burr

So last Friday I was having dinner at my friend's(Chandler Burr, to be exact) home. After dinner he offered me to smell the entire line of Killian he was reviewing for an upcomming article. Anyhow, some how amoung the gazillian perfume bottles he has in multiple bookcases I saw a vintage bottle of Apres L'Ondee edt. Being a Guerlain freak I begged him to let me try it.

A week earlier I was in Bergdoff Goodman and smelled Apres L'Ondee and was not impressed, though I suspected it might be do to reformulation. Anyhow, when the first fumes of the spray reached my nose I was floored at the magnificent joy of this masterpiece. The most natural juicy iris root, lifted by hesperidic notes and enterwoven by the Guerlinade. Damn Guerlain for reformulating this as the one in Bergdoff was a cheap ghost of the original.

Chandler was amazed by it to, I guess he hadn't smelled it in a while. To him his initial impresion was violets, lots of violets. While it does have violets, which I hate, I somehow was able to bypass the violets and headed strait to the the juicy root of iris. This fragrance has the two types of iris effect going, one is the old lady powdery and the other is the juicy root fruit like aspect of Iris Gris. Absolutly delicious.

Chandler was gracious enough to gift me his bottle.
    Last edited by ManlyScent; 15th July 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apres L'Ondee and Chadler Burr

Wow what a nice guy for giving it to you. I haven't tried the vintage EdT but I used to own a bottle of the parfum which was amazing but too feminine for me to wear so I sold it. I regret selling it as just sniffing it was amazing.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

You sold the Parfum??? I would have given my right arm for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I had a 1 oz bottle of the parfum. I got it at a really good price too. Sold it for $375 about 5 years ago. I wonder how much it would sell for now.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Yeah I had a 1 oz bottle of the parfum. I got it at a really good price too. Sold it for $375 about 5 years ago. I wonder how much it would sell for now.
    I'm guessing a TON of $$$$$.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this stuff. Unlike you or Chandler, I don't smell violets or iris right away - I smell the heliotrope. That is, IMO, what draws me into this scent in a sad-almond-shaving-soap sort of way. After my nose registers this, then of course I can detect the florals and the Guerlinade.

Question: how did you know it was vintage? Different bottle? Different box?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd June 2010 at 02:13 PM.

I love this stuff. Unlike you or Chandler, I don't smell violets or iris right away - I smell the heliotrope. That is, IMO, what draws me into this scent in a sad-almond-shaving-soap sort of way. After my nose registers this, then of course I can detect the florals and the Guerlinade.
    Are you talking about the new reformulation edt ? (since aprox 1 year).
    The new version is really violet-less...
    The ancient version had rough golden packaging (the new has another golden tone and isn't rough)/

And i tested the EDP wich have stronger scent but less longevity on skin than EDT...
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 2nd June 2010 at 03:12 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love this stuff. Unlike you or Chandler, I don't smell violets or iris right away - I smell the heliotrope. That is, IMO, what draws me into this scent in a sad-almond-shaving-soap sort of way.
    Me too.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    ...And i tested the EDP wich have stronger scent but less longevity on skin than EDT...
    I think you are mistaken. There is no EdP of Apres L'Ondee. Only EdT and parfum.

Possible wasn't my bottle, so it was parfum so.

Different bottle and box. Plus I check the batch code year by sending an email to Guerlain. This was from 1997. Vintage enough that they still use great materials, but not too vintage that the top notes are gone.
    Last edited by ManlyScent; 2nd June 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Are you talking about the new reformulation edt ? (since aprox 1 year).
    The new version is really violet-less...
    Not sure of the year of reformulation I smelled at Bergdoff. It was a tester they had on display, I should have checked the batch code. Now I'm currious, must go again and try one directly from the new box and see if its really less violet..that would be ideal for me!!!
    Last edited by ManlyScent; 2nd June 2010 at 07:11 PM.

Unfortunaly i didn't snif the same original iris note too, more gourmand for the overall.. Would be curious about the difference of composition.

Iris and anise-like, then iris, heliotropin and musk for me.
    I like it too.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

it's a great one. irritating to wear though. the juice is still good enough, just not as good. wish my gf would wear it because it smells great on others. she hates the sh*t. loves jicky though.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much heliotrope in the current formulation. The vintage with loads of iris must have been good. How's Chandler Burr doing ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Too much heliotrope in the current formulation. The vintage with loads of iris must have been good. How's Chandler Burr doing ?
    Chandler is doing great, saw him again for Memorial day cook out.

Helitrope in the current formula? Hmm I need to try the one from the new box as it sounds ideal. But I tell tell you the tester was all voilets and anise.
    The vintage is really good. Now the dilemma of whether or not I should use it sparingly to try to make it last. Or use it generously and take pleasure while it last.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

My bottle of Apres l'Ondee looks just like this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Is that vintage?

Hey Mikeperez23,

No, that is not vintage. The vintage look like the 3.1oz refillable bottles. The beebottle in the picture were brought out for Apres L'Ondee sometime after 2005