Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sample of the Day - JUNE 2010

Calvin, by Calvin Klein from 1981 (although this sample is probably the third incarnation of the scent) - but I wanted a flashback scent to experience.

Rogalal, how I do love Vetiver Pour Elle. It's amazing IMO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Hermes Ambre Narguile .... Now I read that this doesnt seem to get much love on BN but I really do like this
    Really? I thought it was well liked (in general). I am going to have to visit the reviews.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Hermes Ambre Narguile .... Now I read that this doesnt seem to get much love on BN but I really do like this , tried a couple of times this past few days and its great stuff , seriously a contender for FBW despite the crazy price for an EDT which I wouldnt normally consider .... anyone else get a strange ketchup thang going on LOL !!!! Still its great stuff imho
    Like this one!! Ambre Nargulie probably is the heaviest one from this line, and the longevity not bad either.
    lol, didn't get much the ketchup thang going on, but instead, the fragrances get kind of those instant cinnamon oatmeals which make me crave for some.

Blog Entries

Today I wore Nasomatto China White.

Nasomatto scents seem to teeter on the razor's edge between expertly-blended and crude, loud, and ugly. With the few that I've tried, I'm still not sure if they're just lucky accidents or the work of a masterful hand skillfully pushing the boundaries. Duro's loud oud hits you like a club to the back of the neck, while Black Afgano's smoky bongwater requires a really open-minded wearer. China White is a bit less of a shocker, but challenging nonetheless.

It's primary a rather dumbfounding mix of odd notes that smells different on skin than it does in its silage. After some aldehydes quickly faded, on skin, it smelled like scorched pine sap and some crushed dirt and ivy leaves. The real weirdness was in the silage, which smelled like that specific kind of non-sweaty cumin that comes off like spicy deep-fried food (I've only smelled this note elsewhere in Parfum d'Empire's Aziyade, which smelled to me mostly like fresh Indian pakoras). Equal to the deep-fat-fried cumin was some sort of sweet, fruity resin with a pinch of indiscernible florals in the background.

My boss, who absolutely never comments on my fragrances, no matter how unusual, said the office smelled like "weird incense" and the strangely-literal fried-food note never felt really comfortable on me. So, despite being truly interesting and despite my trying really hard to like it, China White gets a no vote from me, with the caveat that it's probably worth sampling if you're in that everything's-starting-to-smell-the-same rut, because it certainly doesn't smell like any other perfume I've tried. And if you're a fan of Idole-de-Lubin-style weirdness, this might be right up your alley.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I wore The Different Company Un Parfum des Sens & Bois.

The first minute of this was a wonderful woody vetiver that almost had me reaching for my credit card. Sadly, it almost immediately broke down into a confusing floral chemical mud that I can best describe as flower petals macerating in rubbing alcohol. Given an hour or so, the vetiver started coming back, combining with that rubbing alcohol note to smell a bit like boozy absinthe until it got strong enough to smell like itself. And that's about it. Alcohol, vetiver, flowers, and a pinch of background wood.

In it's defense, this wasn't the waaaaaaaay-overexposed "woody amber" note that's ruined men's designer perfumery for me. It was more literal than that - like pure rubbing alcohol. Perhaps Sens & Bois uses a natural woody amber? Does that even exist? Anyway, it just wasn't that pleasant for me. I'll take Bois d'Ombrie's weird red wine vinegar over this, though it's strange in a similar way.

On a personal note, my yearly trip to NYC starts tomorrow, so I'll be away for a while, but I plan on doing an awful lot of sniffing and shopping while I'm there. If anyone's in town, I'll be the crazy guy camped out in the Bergdorf's basement...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Lacoste Challenge

98% fizzy synthetic "rosewood" (what IS that note? It's the same dominant synthetic woody note in Straight to Heaven). 2% other notes.

I can't motivate myself to say any more about this. I've no problems with designer scents as a whole, but this is bad. The only challenge presented by this fragrance is finding anything within to like. Pass!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Last night I had a fantastic experience trying out Madame X by Ava Luxe for the first time. I thought I'd share here my review that I have just written. Gimme more of these!

"Some of the previous reviews got me wondering whether I was wearing the same fragrance yesterday. Anyway, this is my take:
    I have very high respect for Ingmar Bergman's movies and therefore, one of my most favorite is "Hour of the Wolf", which is also one of his most challenging and disturbing ones. It kept me busy thinking for at least two weeks. It features a very prominent scene - a party at the castle of this deserted island. Wearing and sniffing Madame X I figure being impressed by the appearance of Madame X at this party, beautiful and classy wearing a red robe. I turn around to get her a glass of champagne and turn back to see her in the red dress, but with a wolf's head The fragrance Madame X starts off with style, a burst of opulence and class (read the note list above!) just to very soon transform into something deeply and smokily animalic and only hints of the initial beauty left. In the drydown, which stays very close to the skin, the initial complex smelling beauty, is gradually coming back to the foreground a bit, but never to make a full appearance again. This is a surreal fragrance like the movie I am referring to. What an experience! This is fabulous and I'm so happy I dared to buy it blind. On the more "technical" side it wears very close to my skin with moderate longevity, which I don't fault it for. This is more of an experiment and experience than a fragrance I would wear every day. For comparison reasons I had Rose de Nuit on the other wrist, Muscs Koublai Khan on the inside of my arm and further up both of them layered. All three variations share a certain vibe. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to distinguish castoreum or civet as individual notes, but maybe these added to a layered RdN and MKK would make a very close scent...