Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AromiErotici

Default Is there a better citrus chypre than Eau De Patou?

I have been revisiting with Eau De Patou. It's been since last year sometime and I had forgotten how good and smooth this juice really is.

I have the masculine version, but also samples of the feminine to compare. They are both excellent and to me, neither lean one way or the other gender-wise.

What other top shelf citrus chypres could you folks recommend? Is there one better than Patou?

Default Re: Is there a better citrus chypre than Eau De Patou?

Hm. Balenciaga Quadrille is a deep chypre with lemon topnotes. Incredible skin scent. Yohji Feminine tingles with lime- I find this one quite interesting. Rochas Femme with both lemon and lime is amazing, although challenging for me. A real heavy hitter but loved by many. And Ma Griffe is zingy and citrusy for sure.

Is Eau de Patou really a chypre? I would have thought it was more of a citrus/floral ....and in that vein I adore Creed Aubepine Acacia which is surely unisex, although I think it is marketed as a feminine.

I have been wearing the sh!t out of Asprey Purple Water this summer. Starts out with a soul elevating citrus blast and cools down to a wonderful indolic floral. Makes me smile whenever I put it on
    At your service

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    I have been wearing the sh!t out of Asprey Purple Water this summer. Starts out with a soul elevating citrus blast and cools down to a wonderful indolic floral. Makes me smile whenever I put it on
    This one is gorgeous. Went through a big bottle when it was launched. So many perfumes, I forget about some. Would be perfect in the heat.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Hm. Balenciaga Quadrille is a deep chypre with lemon topnotes. Incredible skin scent. Yohji Feminine tingles with lime- I find this one quite interesting. Rochas Femme with both lemon and lime is amazing, although challenging for me. A real heavy hitter but loved by many. And Ma Griffe is zingy and citrusy for sure.

Is Eau de Patou really a chypre? I would have thought it was more of a citrus/floral ....and in that vein I adore Creed Aubepine Acacia which is surely unisex, although I think it is marketed as a feminine.
    It's classified as a chypre, but I get what you mean. It smells more floral to me as well. The accords don't unfold on my skin the same way I see them listed.

The Balenciaga sounds interesting.

Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    -

The ones mentioned that I know are very good: Quadrille, Eau de Rochas, Chanel PM, but I don't think they are as smooth as Eau de Patou, but then again, I love that stuff.
    Evenstar

I don't mean to derail the thread but since we are talking about Eau de Patou can someone elaborate what is the difference between the Eau de patou for men and Eau de patou for women...I recently procured a bottle of the men's version *ofcourse from Henry* and am thinking of buying the woman's version if it is comparable to the men's version since Eau de Patou for men is sold out.. Thanks

I've never smelled Eau De Patou, but as citrus chypres go, I think Philtre D'Amour from Guerlain is really really great! Warm, sparkling, luxurious citrus starting off, like a kind of magical soap blend...it develops into a deep herbal patchouli drydown that is so well done...I just love it and I would definitely get a bottle if I could spring for it. It's my second favorite scent from Guerlain, close behind Heritage.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Diorella esp. the parfum. Don't want to say it's better than Eau De Patou but.. it's damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    +1.

I wouldn't say better because I've never tried the Patou but I have to second Chanel pour Monsieur and add L'Eau Neuve by Lubin as worthwhile products in that category
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I have been revisiting with Eau De Patou. It's been since last year sometime and I had forgotten how good and smooth this juice really is.

I have the masculine version, but also samples of the feminine to compare. They are both excellent and to me, neither lean one way or the other gender-wise.

What other top shelf citrus chypres could you folks recommend? Is there one better than Patou?
    It's a damn good fragrance. Hard to beat it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like Patou 1000 --- a lush floral chypre designated "feminine" but easily worn by the fellas.

I have both the femenine and masculine versions of Eau de Patou and I can hardly tell them apart. The female version has more flowers, I think Ylang-Ylang.
    The notes for the masculine version on the box are: honeysuckle, nasturtium, ylang-ylang, petitgrain, lemon and oranges.
    Evenstar

I know this is weird
    but I really like PdN New York as a citrus
    my favorite citrus scents
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    +2. Also, Eau Sauvage (not a chypre) and Monsieur de Givenchy (a near-chypre — no patchouli) are very nice. Ever tried Guerlain Eau du Coq and Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat? The first one is a true chypre; the second, a woody citrus, but fairly deep.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Last edited by Gerald; 16th August 2009 at 08:57 AM.

How about Tom Ford Italian Cypress (no incense though) or Halston Z-14? Both a aromatic woody citrusses, but nudge in the direction of chypres.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Plus

I quite like Coriolan as a citrus chypre.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I don't know if Iskander would be considered a chypre, but it is the perfume I find comparable with Eau de Patou, although not as good.
    Evenstar

"L" de Lubin might be an interesting choice to check out in this genre. I recently acquired the "new" version of this scent by the re-established house of Lubin and was pleasantly surprised. It's a bit darker and dryer than the Eau de Patou, but I can see someone who likes one going for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I've never smelled Eau De Patou, but as citrus chypres go, I think Philtre D'Amour from Guerlain is really really great! Warm, sparkling, luxurious citrus starting off, like a kind of magical soap blend...it develops into a deep herbal patchouli drydown that is so well done...I just love it and I would definitely get a bottle if I could spring for it. It's my second favorite scent from Guerlain, close behind Heritage.
    Magical soap blend? Oh my, Philtre d'Amour sounds delightful from beginning to end. Must try.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Magical soap blend? Oh my, Philtre d'Amour sounds delightful from beginning to end. Must try.
    Will send you some. :wave:

Goutal's Eau du Sud is great chypre if you like lemon.

Masculine Eau de Patou?
    Could you make a picture of the bottle, please?
    I need to try it, at least. As I like Patou creations.

As for citrus chypres - Tactics by Shiseido fits the bill perfectly.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Masculine Eau de Patou?
    Could you make a picture of the bottle, please?
    I need to try it, at least. As I like Patou creations.

As for citrus chypres - Tactics by Shiseido fits the bill perfectly.
    Here is the picture of Eau de Patou for men

I've got a 150ml or so bottle like the one Gupts shows in the picture. It's not marked for me or pour homme or hombre or herren or nothin' like any of those. There might be a bottle shape that was once made to suggest appeal to the women's market, as Annick Goutal does with Eau d'Hadrien, but I strongly suspect that it's the same juice as I've got. I'm ready to be wrong here, as other members probably know better than I do, but I strongly suspect that EdP was mostly made for the damsel side of things and became unisex to some degree. For evidence I point to the lack of terms suggesting "pour homme" on the bottle/box that Gupts shows, which is the case for the bottle and box that I have.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Rochas Moustache might be another candidate for superior citrus chypre, but I think Eau de Patou beats it pretty easily.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Rochas?
    Eau de Rochas (femin and masc colognes) with oakmoss, patchouly and sandalwood in sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Here is the picture of Eau de Patou for men

Thank you, gupts!
    I`ve never seen this kind of bottle on e-bay (I would not mention that there was no Patou this side of Iron Curtain). It definitely looks more simple than usual bottle I`ve met.
    Simple = masculine, I suppose, that`s the reason the bottle gets masculine definition.

I failed to find any masculine words (men, uomo, homme, herren) also as DustB pointed out.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today for the first time - LOVE it. I need a bottle. Know where I can find one?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wearing this today for the first time - LOVE it. I need a bottle. Know where I can find one?
    Mike.....xmen has one bottle left of the feminine version. It's almost the exact same frag.

Basenotes Institution

Mike.....xmen has one bottle left of the feminine version. It's almost the exact same frag.
    Thanks AE. I was wondering about the bottle shape, but then I read the posts and realized that the bottles seem to be the same juice.

Would anyone compare Eau de Patou at all to Eau de Rochas, which I have not smelled but I have smelled it on someone else?

-- Jack Kerouac

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks AE. I was wondering about the bottle shape, but then I read the posts and realized that the bottles seem to be the same juice.

Would anyone compare Eau de Patou at all to Eau de Rochas, which I have not smelled but I have smelled it on someone else?
    I have both Mike. Completely different. IMO Eau de Rochas doesn't hold a candle to the Patou.

Hillaire

I do not think there is a superior citrus chypre to Eau de Patou, but for your consideration:

Chanel Cristalle
    Signoricci 2
    Aqua de Loewe
    O de Lancome

I have JPEdP (pour Homme) and JPEdP (pour femme) and like them both, and they are very similar. Two Lancomes come to mind as alternatives, though: O de Lancome (vintage) and Trophee Lancome. These are both excellent scents

Hillaire

Also, if you explore vintages, Ma Griffe by Carven and Eau 'dHermes are excellent!

+ for the original Chanel Pour Monsieur ( for Men)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    I have JPEdP (pour Homme) and JPEdP (pour femme) and like them both, and they are very similar.
    sniffman: Does your bottle look like the one above (with no discernable Pour Homme) on it? Does your other bottle look like the one I posted in my SOTD this morning - and if so does it say Pour Femme on the bottle?

I found this ad for Eau de Patou - that looks as if Patou marketed it to women.

-- Jack Kerouac

AromiErotici

Yea Mike....that's the feminine version.

Aromi / Mike et al, I chanced on both the exact same bottles here a few months ago tucked away in a little pharmacy. The bottle further up this thread and the bottle in your SOTD and the ad, Mike. Both 50 ml and nowhere at all on the box or bottle is there any 'femme / homme' etc. They are very similar, and both beautiful IMO. Side by side I would say the 'smooth / Masculine' bottle has a touch more edge, maybe there's some moss underneath coming thru or it's more bergamot heavy on top, and the 'ribbed / Feminine' lacks this edge and has just a touch more apparent floral element, in the same way that there is a subtle floral element inside AdP Colonia that takes it beyond a pure 'citrus'. Sorry I'm not geared to shoot pix and post . . . if I find more will let you guys know. Talk about a lucky find

For what it's worth, copy on the side of the 'Masculine' box (English / French / German):

'A subtle and dynamic blend of flowers and fruits, L'Eau de Patou is a lasting and persistent fragrance'. No notes, date or anything else of interest.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th September 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Caron Alpona. Although it might be more rare than Eau de Patou, and much more expensive too. But for what its worth, it lasts twice as long as Eau de Patou.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Caron Alpona. Although it might be more rare than Eau de Patou, and much more expensive too. But for what its worth, it lasts twice as long as Eau de Patou.
    As if I did not already have a lot of other worries..you've just added another one...

finding a cheapish sample or even a bottle.....

I have both bottles and they seem very close. I think the "femenine" bottle was a reformulation in the early 90s. The original came out in the late 70s (my first bottle was bought in 1979) and it had the cylindrical bottle (now thought to be homme version), but the cap and lettering were silver metalic. My next bottle (maybe 1987-1988) was what now is considered homme with the cylindrical bottle and blue cap and lettering.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 17th September 2009 at 05:42 AM.
    Evenstar

There was never any gender assigned to this scent, it has always been unisex. The only differences were the shape of the bottles and the changes which coincided with slight tweaking which seemed to make it seem more of a feminine marketed scent.
    The scent should be classified as older (cylindrical bottle) or newer (stepped bottle) versions.

Truly genderless and all types of yummy regardless of the vintage, yet the older version does have a wee bit more depth to it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Gupts,
    I look at it this way. there are a lot of highly touted niche scents that cost just as much. Alpona is a extrait, and will run you around $325 for a 100ml parfum extrait; which, to me, is a better deal than a lot of the niche ones. Rumor has it they are discontinuing it, but Caron's New York boutique still had 3 bottles in stock the last I checked earlier this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    As if I did not already have a lot of other worries..you've just added another one...

finding a cheapish sample or even a bottle.....
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

arwen_elf, Brielle87 - thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    There was never any gender assigned to this scent, it has always been unisex. The only differences were the shape of the bottles and the changes which coincided with slight tweaking which seemed to make it seem more of a feminine marketed scent.
    The scent should be classified as older (cylindrical bottle) or newer (stepped bottle) versions.

Truly genderless and all types of yummy regardless of the vintage, yet the older version does have a wee bit more depth to it.

Brielle87 is, as always, well informed and correct. I would simply add that we and not Jean Patou have retrospectively assigned Eau de Patou a unisex designation (and male and female versions). It was rereleased in the tapering cylindrical bottle in 1991 (and more than likely tweaked slightly), and, as far as I have been able to ascertain, as can be clearly seen from the images below, Jean Patou never intended it as unisex fragrance and certainly there were no male and female versions; it has always been featured as a woman's fragrance. Of course, I am always happy to be corrected on such matters by more information. Personally, I think it can easily been worn by either sex.

Here are some advertisement photos with dates which support my contentions:

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th September 2009 at 03:14 PM.

I agree with you scentimental, my first bottle was purchased at the female perfume counter of a department store. I was deciding between Eau de Patou and Lubin's L.

My bottle from 1979 looked like the ads from 1977, and I believe the juice was tweaked for the 1991 re-issue.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 17th September 2009 at 06:02 AM.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I agree with you scentimental, my first bottle was purchased at the female perfume counter of a department store. I was deciding between Eau de Patou and Lubin's L.

My bottle from 1979 looked like the ads from 1977, and I believe the juice was tweaked for the 1991 re-issue.
    Thanks for the corroboration arwen_elf.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Brielle87 is, as always, correct. I would simply add that we and not Jean Patou have retrospectively assigned Eau de Patou a unisex designation (and male and female versions). It was rereleased in the tapering cylindrical bottle in 1991 (and more than likely tweaked slightly), and, as far as I have been able to ascertain, as can be clearly seen from the images below, Jean Patou never intended it as unisex fragrance and certainly there were no male and female versions; it has always been featured as a woman's fragrance. Of course, I am always happy to be corrected on such matters by more information. Personally, I think it can easily been worn by either sex.

Here are some advertisement photos with dates which support my contentions:

scentemental

Very interesting! I have the older version myself. What led me to believe there was a male pendant is that the H&R Duftatlas (1989 edition) features a third bottle shape, in the men's section under "fresh citrus" and gives different notes as listed for Eau de Patou (femme) elsewhere, namely:

Top:Lemon, Lime (Bergamot, Mandarin, Basil, Aldehyde)
    Middle:Jasmin, Patchouli (Iris, Clove, Fruit note, Cedarwood)
    Base:Moss, Musk (Amber, Civet, Labdanum)

Scent direct seems to have taken its info (& picture) from H&R. You can see the flacon there.

Eau de Patou ("femme") according to parfyym.pri.ee:
    Top: Sicilian Citrus, Guinea orange
    Middle: Tunesian orange blossom, pepper, honeysuckle, Ylan Ylang, nasturtium
    Base:Musk, Moss, Amber Civet

Perhaps this is just a big mistake and this bottle represents an intermediate version from the 80s. But a clarification would be helpful. anybody know some perfume people at P&G Prestige?
    Last edited by the_good_life; 17th September 2009 at 06:53 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Very interesting! I have the older version myself. What led me to believe there was a male pendant is that the H&R Duftatlas (1989 edition) features a third bottle shape, in the men's section under "fresh citrus" and gives different notes as listed for Eau de Patou (femme) elsewhere, namely:

Top:Lemon, Lime (Bergamot, Mandarin, Basil, Aldehyde)
    Middle:Jasmin, Patchouli (Iris, Clove, Fruit note, Cedarwood)
    Base:Moss, Musk (Amber, Civet, Labdanum)

Scent direct seems to have taken its info (& picture) from H&R. You can see the flacon there.

Eau de Patou ("femme") according to parfyym.pri.ee:
    Top: Sicilian Citrus, Guinea orange
    Middle: Tunesian orange blossom, pepper, honeysuckle, Ylan Ylang, nasturtium
    Base:Musk, Moss, Amber Civet

Perhaps this is just a big mistake and this bottle represents an intermediate version from the 80s. But a clarification would be helpful. anybody know some perfume people at P&G Prestige?
    The_good_life, I don't think it's a different bottle. I think you're correct in suggesting that it represents an intermediate version from the 1980s. If you look very carefully at the bottle, you'll see that it's pretty much the same bottle as the one in the first two photos above with the naked woman. It simply has a different top. I have cropped the package and bottle from those two photos for the purposes of comparison. Both bottles have the two blue bands in exactly the same place.

Here are some other variations of the same bottle with different tops. On none of the packaging does it indicate that this a "pour homme" version. I think it's pretty clear the photo on the left, immediately below, is the same as the Scentdirect bottle and that it does, indeed, represent a 1980s intermediate packaging variation. The photo on the right is simply the same bottle with a different top except in a larger (125ml) size.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th September 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks to Brielle and Scentemental, I've got an education on this.
    Last edited by sniffman; 17th September 2009 at 05:19 PM.

AromiErotici

Here is my bottle

I got it from an estate sale last year. The owner had worked for Patou in the 1970's and passed away. This was one of many bottles in her collection. Before purchasing, I was informed this was a masculine version of the scent.

I have sampled 2 other versions...both "feminine" and the differences are very small to say the least.

Here is my bottle

I got it from an estate sale last year. The owner had worked for Patou in the 1970's and passed away. This was one of many bottles in her collection. Before purchasing, I was informed this was a masculine version of the scent.

I have sampled 2 other versions...both "feminine" and the differences are very small to say the least.
    AromiErotici, I know you are just letting us know what you were told, but how is this bottle in the photo you post any different from the one in the add with the naked woman except that is smaller and squatter? I wouldn't trust a seller with regard to valid information about a fragrance if they were selling me that fragrance from an estate sale. They might have the correct information, but I would want to verify that information independently. I am not guessing here or implying that you believed that information. I have no way of knowing if you did. I am aware that you are simply reporting what you were told.

As you make it clear, the differences between "the feminine" version and the masculine version are "very small to say the least" because as you already suspect, I suspect, there is no masculine and feminine versions. If there were a masculine version and a feminine version of the fragrance based on the notes the_good_life cites, they really would be two entirely different fragrances and recognizable as such. That they are not is further proof that any variation is probably perceptual or the result of reformulation over the 15 to 20 odd years the fragrance was in production.

Patou never had any problems with clearly demarcating their men's fragrances from their women's fragrances, so, perhaps someone can answer the question as to why Patou would produce a male version of Eau de Patou and not make it clear on the bottle and the packaging, especially when the bottle and packaging are identical to the ones in all the advertisements that clearly designate such bottle and its packaging as a woman's fragrance.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th September 2009 at 06:45 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    How is this bottle any different from the one in the add with the naked woman except that is smaller and squatter? Patou never had any problems with clearly demarcating their men's fragrances from their women's fragrances. Also perhaps someone can also answer the question as to why Patou would produce an male version of the Eau de Patou and not make it clear on the bottle and the packaging, especially when that bottle and packaging is identical to the one in all the adds that clearly designate it as women's fragrance.

Seriously, I feel like I am wasting my time.

scentemental
    WTF are you talking about bro? Who said it was different? I said the other reformulations ( samples) I have tried were very similar.

Please don't waste your freakin time on my account bro.

WTF are you talking about bro? Who said it was different? I said the other reformulations ( samples) I have tried were very similar.

Please don't waste your freakin time on my account bro.
    You might want to consider my post a little more carefully before you start cussing me out. The wasting my time was not meant to refer to you. I amended my post quickly and subsequently a number of times to make that clear even before your post. My apologies if you thought it did.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th September 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Basenotes Institution

The plot thickens...

A few weeks ago a Basenoter gifted me a decant from his bottle of Eau de Jean Patou. This was a bottle he scored in a small shop, with some other vintage bottles. I assumed this was Eau de Patou, is it?

The bottle looks NOTHING like any of the bottles listed above. See below (sorry, I cropped it, maybe I can get a picture of just this bottle by itself...let me work on that):

And - may I say THANK YOU to everyone who's participated in this lively thread. Threads like this, chock full of detailed information about discontinued vintage fragrances, is one of the reasons why I love Basenotes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th September 2009 at 06:52 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

To answer the original question that began this thread, yes there is; yes there are:

Signoricci 2 (original 1976 formulation)
    Signoricci (early 1980s reformulation of Signoricci 2)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (not the reformulated, attenuated Eau de Rochas Homme)
    Loewe Pour Homme

scentemental