Code of Conduct

Default Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

I'm thinking about picking this one up for a unique summer scent... I've read all the older reviews... anyone have any newer opinions on it?

Default Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

I think GPM would be a great buy; I recently posted a review on my blog (www.persolaise.com) which you might find useful.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

Yes I do, but it's not very helpful I'm afraid, I just don't like it. It's one of those fragrances I apply and then wish I hadn't. I would love to be able to join the love-fest for it, but I just can't. I've worn it several times now and to me it smells harsh and astringent. I don't have a problem with mint in fragrances, nor musks nor any of the accords that elbow their way through for attention as this fragrance evolves (which I have to say it does in a rather inelegant manner), they just, to my nose at least, don't do any of it very well. I wouldn't buy this if it were at the price of a Mall fragrance let alone the eye watering prices now commanded by the Editions Frederic Malle line.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Sample first. To me, it's a good, true geranium scent with topnotes of mint that (for me) mostly burn off within 30 minutes, leaving that astringent geranium "buzz." I like it, but if you don't like true essence of geranium, it might not be for you. I have a small decant; I don't wear it often, but I like to wear it once a month or so. It's very fresh, and I do like to smell a dab more often than I actually wear it.

Yes, sample it first whether you can cope with the mint! I think it is excellently done... combining geranium and mint (the latter being used so heavily in chewing gums, toothpastes and whatever). I personally like Jardin du Nil by MPG very much and I am not sure whether Geranium Pour Monsieur misses a facet that I appreciate in Jardin du Nil. Still, I have to work on it...

I have and love Geranium pou monsieur. Highly original and sophisticated. Perfect for summer.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thumbs up Re: Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

Buy it . It is a fantastic scent, lasts all the day on the body and shirt, the sillage is fantastic. The bottle ( 100 ml ) i own now is my second bottle. It is very fresh. A masterpiece !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

I am not a fan of it. It was very disapointing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sorry , I didnt like it either It wasnt the mint aspect either

I have really enjoyed it the few times I've worn it so far - great in tropical heat.

I don't like mint in scented products generally but the way this works is great - sleight of hand stuff - sparkling but subtle, quite dense and moist, almost super real fresh plant vibe, but some sort of happy minty geranium hybrd plant . . . and longevity is considerably more than I would have expected from a scent of this style.

Good city scent as well - it has a fairly buttoned up, crisp shirt in the face of relentless humidity vibe, which I need here for the next few months.

I've sampled this a few times. I found the mint in the opening too offensive. After that I quite liked the combo of cinnamon with florals. It's sort of gentlemanly with a manly edge but I think there are also many other frags out there with similar structures. For example you might look at Czech and Speak Oxford & Cambridge. I know there are a bunch of other "gentleman's" fragrances out there for a light floral thing. Even No.88 would be an interesting alternative (is that Geranium?). I think the few times I wore it were a notable experience but I'm just not sure when I'd wear it. i think there are others I'd reach for first instead.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

While I don't think its ground-breaking, I do find it different enough and a very enjoyable summer scent. For a fresh scent, it has a very respectable tenacity through hot weather. its on my "to buy" list for sure.

Regards,
    Steve