Code of Conduct

Default Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

I'm thinking about picking this one up for a unique summer scent... I've read all the older reviews... anyone have any newer opinions on it?

Default Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

I think GPM would be a great buy; I recently posted a review on my blog (www.persolaise.com) which you might find useful.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

Yes I do, but it's not very helpful I'm afraid, I just don't like it. It's one of those fragrances I apply and then wish I hadn't. I would love to be able to join the love-fest for it, but I just can't. I've worn it several times now and to me it smells harsh and astringent. I don't have a problem with mint in fragrances, nor musks nor any of the accords that elbow their way through for attention as this fragrance evolves (which I have to say it does in a rather inelegant manner), they just, to my nose at least, don't do any of it very well. I wouldn't buy this if it were at the price of a Mall fragrance let alone the eye watering prices now commanded by the Editions Frederic Malle line.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Sample first. To me, it's a good, true geranium scent with topnotes of mint that (for me) mostly burn off within 30 minutes, leaving that astringent geranium "buzz." I like it, but if you don't like true essence of geranium, it might not be for you. I have a small decant; I don't wear it often, but I like to wear it once a month or so. It's very fresh, and I do like to smell a dab more often than I actually wear it.

Yes, sample it first whether you can cope with the mint! I think it is excellently done... combining geranium and mint (the latter being used so heavily in chewing gums, toothpastes and whatever). I personally like Jardin du Nil by MPG very much and I am not sure whether Geranium Pour Monsieur misses a facet that I appreciate in Jardin du Nil. Still, I have to work on it...

I have and love Geranium pou monsieur. Highly original and sophisticated. Perfect for summer.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't. Darkness - for the blinds.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir
    Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thumbs up Re: Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur

Buy it . It is a fantastic scent, lasts all the day on the body and shirt, the sillage is fantastic. The bottle ( 100 ml ) i own now is my second bottle. It is very fresh. A masterpiece !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Sur la Plage

I am not a fan of it. It was very disapointing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sorry , I didnt like it either It wasnt the mint aspect either

I have really enjoyed it the few times I've worn it so far - great in tropical heat.

I don't like mint in scented products generally but the way this works is great - sleight of hand stuff - sparkling but subtle, quite dense and moist, almost super real fresh plant vibe, but some sort of happy minty geranium hybrd plant . . . and longevity is considerably more than I would have expected from a scent of this style.

Good city scent as well - it has a fairly buttoned up, crisp shirt in the face of relentless humidity vibe, which I need here for the next few months.

I've sampled this a few times. I found the mint in the opening too offensive. After that I quite liked the combo of cinnamon with florals. It's sort of gentlemanly with a manly edge but I think there are also many other frags out there with similar structures. For example you might look at Czech and Speak Oxford & Cambridge. I know there are a bunch of other "gentleman's" fragrances out there for a light floral thing. Even No.88 would be an interesting alternative (is that Geranium?). I think the few times I wore it were a notable experience but I'm just not sure when I'd wear it. i think there are others I'd reach for first instead.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

While I don't think its ground-breaking, I do find it different enough and a very enjoyable summer scent. For a fresh scent, it has a very respectable tenacity through hot weather. its on my "to buy" list for sure.

Regards,
    Steve