Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do you ever just "settle" on one fragrance that you're satisfied with?

God, no. I wish I could, but I'm coming to realize that fragrances are a lot like clothing; would you pick just one shirt/pants combo to wear every day for the rest of the year, regardless of its practicality and ability to express your sense of style? Of course not. Some days I'm in the mood to wear a light-colored T-shirt and shorts, other days I want something darker and bolder. They're both "me", they just convey different facets of my personality and mood. Same with fragrances. I love Kouros, I love how it makes me feel confident and masculine, I love admiring its structure and notes, and I love how long a bottle lasts...but if I wore it every day I'd get sick to death of it, begging for even the most banal fruity floral to rescue me from its endless musky monotony. I used to think I'd find that one, perfect scent that expresses "me" better than anything else, but now I'm thinking it may not happen...nor may such a scent even exist. As attractive as the idea of a "signature scent" is, it'd be impossible to sum up every nuance of my personality in one perfume bottle - there's too much of me to go around, and simply too many scents out there that I haven't experienced. The best I can hope for is something that captures the mood I'm in at the moment, something to help me project an intended image of myself, something to boost my confidence and set the tone for the day or night - as such, a "rotation" of regulars that I keep coming back to, but nothing I stick with day in and day out for more than, say, a week. My wallet may hate me for this seemingly flighty attitude, but that's the way it's gotta be.

Default Re: Do you ever just "settle" on one fragrance that you're satisfied with?

I can say that after years of being a serious fragrance fan, I've finally narrowed my collection to a select few that I cannot live without. While its just not one fragrance, it is a very select few which is specific and focused. There are some in my wardrobe that I wouldn't mind tossing just to free up space and because I never reach for them. It took me a long time to know and find what does it for me and I'm thankful that the artists who conceived these done so for our enjoyment. My fragrances are an extension of my imagination; they capture what I think to be, perfection.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 4th June 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

No, it never stops. You may slow down a bit, but you will probably always be sampling and searching out new fragrances to add to your wardrobe. It's a beautiful thing, man! As others have said, welcome to the dark side!

The answer is nope. We get bored to quickly with one frag.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Wrong site to be asking that question.

Maybe yes, provided that the frag is worthy of becoming by signature frag- which is hard, if not impossible

There's nothing wrong with being a collector of things, as long as it doesn't become an obsession. And as StylinLA said, fragrance is a helluva lot easier on the wallet than bikes, guitars, and many other objects of desire (I shake my head at folks who collect fine watches; talk about rich habits!!).

You could buy a drawer full of niche fragrances for the price of one decent concert classical guitar.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 4th June 2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Point Blank

I am relatively new to fragrances but I digress. I will always try out different fragrances like N+1 but my N for owning is between 3 and 6. I dont find it hard to reject a fragrance that is excellent if it is not better than something I already own or to throw out something excellent I own if I find something even better. Maybe Im simple not as interested/dedicated as the majority here. However, I want my scents to be personal - I cannot see how that can be achieved with a N going towards infinity.

if i can say yes ( so why i'm member of basenotes )
    every new fragrance is adventure of itself I enjoy the exploring – samples – then buying waiting patiently for the mail box to arrive , my first day with the new fragrance , asking my wife about her opinion avoiding any mention about new perfume price ( I miss the days when I consider CREED is so expensive )
    since I spilt my wardrobe to core-group and back group I lost count

Yes. I found one, but it took about 2 years of hair pulling and sample sniffing... Not to mention the exorbitant amount of money I spent on samples. It is possible to stick with just one, but it's very hard to do, because it takes multiple wearings of a fragrance before you really "know" it and can decide whether it suits you. When you factor in the fact that new smells usually smell better because they're new, as well as the human tendency for tastes to change over time, you can easily get stuck in a cycle where you begin to (falsely) believe that each new fragrance you try is the holy grail, only to realize a few wearings down the line that you don't like it.

My advice for you is to scour the BN forums and review pages, see what gets the most buzz and positive reviews, then make a list of things to sample (I suggest doing this twice, making a list of 10 each time). Once you have a sampling list, try each fragrance about 3-5 times (make sure you apply enough for a "full wearing"). You'll find that as you sample more, your tastes might change, so it's good to keep samples you didn't like at first. Once you've tried a good bunch, pick the one that you liked the most. Chances are, you won't find something better (even if you sample 100+ more fragrances), so stick with that one.

I think I'm one of about 1000 BNers who actually managed to settle on one fragrance though. It takes a lot of self control and scientific method to find that one fragrance. That's not to say I didn't buy 20+ bottles on the way...

P.S. The one fragrance that suits me perfectly, and can be worn everyday, anytime, and anywhere is Angeliques sous la Pluie by Frederic Malle. Coincidentally, it doesn't get much attention on BN.
    Sales thread here

I don't think so. There is probably not one person on basenotes that has only one type of cologne they wear. I have at least 15-17 types of cologne. I have aproximately 2 bottles of each type of cologne I own except for the ones that are available in really large bottles of 6.7 ounces. The fact of the matter is there are cologne's that work best for certain times of the year and certain occasion's. I usually wear a lighter fragrance in the spring and summer like aqua di gio or dolce and gabana light blue. I wear a heavier fragrance in the winter or for a romanic evening if I am on hot date. I just can't wear one type of cologne. Now if you have a limited budget then you will have to go with just one or two,but there are so many great designer fragrances. I just would never spend the money on a creed cologne because I don't feel any cologne or perfume is worth what they charge for there fragrances.