Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever just "settle" on one fragrance that you're satisfied with?

From reading this forum, I find that many people follow the same buying habits as those on a bicycle forum I post on as well (BikeForums.net). That is the expression, N+1.

For those who haven't taken a statistics class N stands for population, so essentually N+1 means whatever you have, you just need one more of it. Then one more, then one more, then one more, etc. So far in my personal life I have found that N+1 applies to bicycles, electric guitars and now fragrances.

I got into fragrances thinking I would just find a scent that suits me best and just wear it till the bottle runs out and I need more. However I'm finding that even though I've found many scents that I really enjoy, I'm still going to the fragrance section of department stores and making lists of scents I'm considering buying.

So I'm asking, does this ever stop? Do you ever find a fragrance that you're happy and content with?

Default Re: Do you ever just "settle" on one fragrance that you're satisfied with?

You sound like a perfectly normal person. Welcome to the other side.

Default Re: Do you ever just "settle" on one fragrance that you're satisfied with?

Electric guitars and fragrances...

At some point I thought the Les Paul Goldtop with P90s was basically all I need. Sold a lot of other stuff. I don´t know why, but recently I´m very tempted to buy a PRS... If I should ever find the holy grail my search would still continue, because I want the perfect amp, the perfect acoustic, lap steel, dobro, cable, picks, effect pedals and so on. If I could afford it, I would have a collection like Joe Perry!

So.... I don´t think there is just one holy grail for me personally and I´m fine with that.

The same with fragrances: sniffing till the nose bleeds, reading reviews and so on is fun! I hope that I won´t "settle" soon!

Does YOUR personality have just one facet? MINE not

Never.

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
    So I'm asking, does this ever stop? Do you ever find a fragrance that you're happy and content with?
    Does it stop? No.

Find a fragrance that I am happy and content with? Certainly. But not in the sense of exclusivity. It is fun to explore and try new ones. And to fall in love with a new one on occasion. Before it is done, I will probably test a thousand fragrances and have a wardrobe of about 50 bottles that I love.

Its still new in my wardrobe but A*Men Pure Malt is definitely something that I could live with if I could pick only 1 fragrance for evening/winter. Same but to less extent goes with Gucci PH 2 for spring/summer. Do I still want more fragrances? Yes. Do I need them? Nope .

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post

At some point I thought the Les Paul Goldtop with P90s was basically all I need. Sold a lot of other stuff. I don´t know why, but recently I´m very tempted to buy a PRS... If I should ever find the holy grail my search would still continue, because I want the perfect amp, the perfect acoustic, lap steel, dobro, cable, picks, effect pedals and so on. If I could afford it, I would have a collection like Joe Perry!

So.... I don´t think there is just one holy grail for me personally and I´m fine with that.

The same with fragrances: sniffing till the nose bleeds, reading reviews and so on is fun! I hope that I won´t "settle" soon!
    Tell me about it. I'm at my fourth acoustic guitar, and I'm still on a quest for the perfect one...
    Well, almost everytime I buy a fragrance the thought that it might be "the one" crosses my mind. Just crosses. And gets out immediately... Not only: I change my favourite ones quite regularly!

I remember when I used to stay with one - Example: Erolfa - 1 yr. Bulgari PH - 1 1/2 yrs. Creed Orange Spice - 1 yr. CdG Kyoto - 1 yr. But, for the past nine years I experiment with variety. Now I mostly enjoy a plentiful sufficiency of variety - I can't resist. I usually narrow my choices down to a practical mix of top shelf wardrobe favorites, @ 16 or so that I keep out to select from each day. This mix of this group changes about 4 times a year with the seasons.

Vareity is much more fun. Also it brings some creativity into my daily choices.

It never stops. Even if I managed to sample every fragrance available and had bottles of every fragrance I liked, perfumers keep releasing more and more fragrances... They just won't leave me alone!

Sometimes one just has to accept that one will likely die in an avalanche of bottles and samples, decapitated by a large and pointy factice. It's just how it goes.

Blog Entries

Love the N+1 observation. Short answer for me: "No" it doesn't stop. N+1 totally applies. The exploration of fragrance has become as enjoyable for me as wearing them.

To have anything that really satisfies a need well, it really won't satisfy another need well. And since my needs are multiple, I need more then one to satisfy each of them. I have some that are just great for winter, summer, night, day, interviews, weekends, etc. Each that I've found is a better and better one for whatever I need it for. Why would I want something that's sort of ok for everything.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

hehe thats normal, deviation would be situation where we get 1+N^2
    even if we settle with one fragrance we still need another thats normal
    its not a car or any higher goods we cant afford once a week or once a month
    Last edited by yrk; 3rd June 2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I started this hobby by thinking "Let's buy a bottle, and only buy a new one when the bottle is empty".
    Now that was boring ladies and gentleman.
    I keep on exploring scents, being pretty sure I'll find scents that will blow my socks off.

It never stops. Trying new fragrances that take your fancy is great and exciting. I can never wait for the postman to pop them through the letter box after buying any If I was ever forced to use just one, then that special one for me would currently be Nio by Xerjoff.

Basenotes Institution

It never ever stops- the perfume Gods told me so and I obey !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post

As someone with over 20 Gibson guitars, 9 of with are Les Pauls, I fully understand. I just bought my third PRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Love the N+1 observation. Short answer for me: "No" it doesn't stop. N+1 totally applies. The exploration of fragrance has become as enjoyable for me as wearing them.
    Me too! I hear ya!! I simply enjoy the process!

Life under capitalism.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome to BaseNotes, Jay D. There would be no Fragrance Reviews and discussions if N+1 wasn't our conscious or sub-conscious ethos. Personally, life is too short to settle on one frag, or one type, etc, etc.

Wade in and enjoy!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

My biggest issue is that a fragrance, no matter how great it smells, will never smell the same to my nose forever. After a couple of weeks of wearing the same thing, my nose doesn't appreciate or perceive all of the notes it once did. Therefore, I need a break from a scent after a while, even if I love it, just so that I can love it with renewed passion. On the other hand, I don't really care to own every fragrance that I come across. I just want to smell it and store that memory in my olfactory database. This helps me limit the number of bottles I own.

I do fall into "N+1" with fragrances, but surprisingly, not with much else - maybe music. For instance, I'm an avid skier and biker, but I've always been able to find an ideal mountain and road bike, and stick with them for years. When worn out for my purposes, I donate them. Same with skis, though I admit that it would very easy to justify multiple skis for various snow conditions.

I think the difference is, with skis and bikes, the items themselves are the tools that allow me to enjoy the activity; my enjoyment of the activity exists mostly outside of the items. I think this is a useful way of looking at hobbies and possessions.

However, with fragrances, the item IS the activity. Same with music.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd June 2010 at 07:01 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

What if what you need in fragrance is variety? Then N+1 certainly applies .

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    However, with fragrances, the item IS the activity. Same with music.
    Exactly! Music and fragrances are 2 things that for me don't have a limit. There's always new music, always new fragrances, and then you have different types and so on and so on. Long story short, no! I would never
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

i try so hard to not buy em and ive settled on a trickle of frags, maybe 1-3 per month. ive descided Pi, Le Male, A*Men, and Ice*Men are what ive been looking for...now its a matter of finishing everything that led me to those lol

Electric guitars (and pedals) and fragrances indeed!
    For me, the difference is that I already have a really great guitar (a 72 Telecaster Deluxe - reissue) and that can make me money and allow me to express myself. Don't get me started on buying and making effects pedals though.
    The handful of fragrances I own are mainly for my own enjoyment. Not that I'm going to let that slow me down.

Some day I might get tired of seeking out new fragrances to sample and/or buy, and when I do, I'll stop. I have calmed down a bit -- the frenzy to try to smell everything gets a bit tiresome (not to mention unsustainable, unless you have a trust fund).

I'm just happy I don't have a fetish for biking gear, or guitars, or rare orchids, or vintage cars, or expensive clothes. This is the only mania I can afford at the moment.

One suggestion: hook up with some people or groups doing bottle splits or decants. You get much more sniffy bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    You sound like a perfectly normal person. Welcome to the other side.
    Right on. I hear where you're coming from Jay D and we could debate that endlessly I suppose. For me, it's certainly a bit of your N +1 theory, but of late it has slowed down so much and I've become so much more discerning, that it is not endless, at least for me.

I too belong to some other forums and see some evidence of what you're talking about. I have a good friend with over 20 guitars.... One of the other forums I'm in they call them ADs... Acquisition Disorders.

But for me, with fragrances, long before finding Basenotes I was always interested in having a few different scents. Finding a forum like this indeed accelerated me a bit. You find other people with similar interests- don't feel so odd about it- and get all sorts of input about frags you may like.

I have never had a goal of finding "the one" with frags. There are I suppose, arguments to be made for having one consistent scent with which you are associated. But right now, I have about 50- all of which I really, really like and enjoy. The frustrating thing if your collection gets large is finding the time to wear them. Same could be said with your guitars I guess.

Let's look at the bright side. Fragrance is a lot cheaper than guitars and bikes. I have a girlfriend who thinks I'm crazy with cologne. She has a tricked out Orbea Diva.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th June 2010 at 06:29 AM.

I was just talking about this with some friends. Its like an obsession, you must keep buying new ones. I always check the fragrance counter even though I know whats there, its just a re assurance that you did not miss anything. So to answer the question....no

God, no. I wish I could, but I'm coming to realize that fragrances are a lot like clothing; would you pick just one shirt/pants combo to wear every day for the rest of the year, regardless of its practicality and ability to express your sense of style? Of course not. Some days I'm in the mood to wear a light-colored T-shirt and shorts, other days I want something darker and bolder. They're both "me", they just convey different facets of my personality and mood. Same with fragrances. I love Kouros, I love how it makes me feel confident and masculine, I love admiring its structure and notes, and I love how long a bottle lasts...but if I wore it every day I'd get sick to death of it, begging for even the most banal fruity floral to rescue me from its endless musky monotony. I used to think I'd find that one, perfect scent that expresses "me" better than anything else, but now I'm thinking it may not happen...nor may such a scent even exist. As attractive as the idea of a "signature scent" is, it'd be impossible to sum up every nuance of my personality in one perfume bottle - there's too much of me to go around, and simply too many scents out there that I haven't experienced. The best I can hope for is something that captures the mood I'm in at the moment, something to help me project an intended image of myself, something to boost my confidence and set the tone for the day or night - as such, a "rotation" of regulars that I keep coming back to, but nothing I stick with day in and day out for more than, say, a week. My wallet may hate me for this seemingly flighty attitude, but that's the way it's gotta be.

I can say that after years of being a serious fragrance fan, I've finally narrowed my collection to a select few that I cannot live without. While its just not one fragrance, it is a very select few which is specific and focused. There are some in my wardrobe that I wouldn't mind tossing just to free up space and because I never reach for them. It took me a long time to know and find what does it for me and I'm thankful that the artists who conceived these done so for our enjoyment. My fragrances are an extension of my imagination; they capture what I think to be, perfection.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 4th June 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

No, it never stops. You may slow down a bit, but you will probably always be sampling and searching out new fragrances to add to your wardrobe. It's a beautiful thing, man! As others have said, welcome to the dark side!

The answer is nope. We get bored to quickly with one frag.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Wrong site to be asking that question.

Maybe yes, provided that the frag is worthy of becoming by signature frag- which is hard, if not impossible

There's nothing wrong with being a collector of things, as long as it doesn't become an obsession. And as StylinLA said, fragrance is a helluva lot easier on the wallet than bikes, guitars, and many other objects of desire (I shake my head at folks who collect fine watches; talk about rich habits!!).

You could buy a drawer full of niche fragrances for the price of one decent concert classical guitar.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 5th June 2010 at 12:36 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Point Blank

I am relatively new to fragrances but I digress. I will always try out different fragrances like N+1 but my N for owning is between 3 and 6. I dont find it hard to reject a fragrance that is excellent if it is not better than something I already own or to throw out something excellent I own if I find something even better. Maybe Im simple not as interested/dedicated as the majority here. However, I want my scents to be personal - I cannot see how that can be achieved with a N going towards infinity.

if i can say yes ( so why i'm member of basenotes )
    every new fragrance is adventure of itself I enjoy the exploring – samples – then buying waiting patiently for the mail box to arrive , my first day with the new fragrance , asking my wife about her opinion avoiding any mention about new perfume price ( I miss the days when I consider CREED is so expensive )
    since I spilt my wardrobe to core-group and back group I lost count

Yes. I found one, but it took about 2 years of hair pulling and sample sniffing... Not to mention the exorbitant amount of money I spent on samples. It is possible to stick with just one, but it's very hard to do, because it takes multiple wearings of a fragrance before you really "know" it and can decide whether it suits you. When you factor in the fact that new smells usually smell better because they're new, as well as the human tendency for tastes to change over time, you can easily get stuck in a cycle where you begin to (falsely) believe that each new fragrance you try is the holy grail, only to realize a few wearings down the line that you don't like it.

My advice for you is to scour the BN forums and review pages, see what gets the most buzz and positive reviews, then make a list of things to sample (I suggest doing this twice, making a list of 10 each time). Once you have a sampling list, try each fragrance about 3-5 times (make sure you apply enough for a "full wearing"). You'll find that as you sample more, your tastes might change, so it's good to keep samples you didn't like at first. Once you've tried a good bunch, pick the one that you liked the most. Chances are, you won't find something better (even if you sample 100+ more fragrances), so stick with that one.

I think I'm one of about 1000 BNers who actually managed to settle on one fragrance though. It takes a lot of self control and scientific method to find that one fragrance. That's not to say I didn't buy 20+ bottles on the way...

P.S. The one fragrance that suits me perfectly, and can be worn everyday, anytime, and anywhere is Angeliques sous la Pluie by Frederic Malle. Coincidentally, it doesn't get much attention on BN.
    Sales thread here

I don't think so. There is probably not one person on basenotes that has only one type of cologne they wear. I have at least 15-17 types of cologne. I have aproximately 2 bottles of each type of cologne I own except for the ones that are available in really large bottles of 6.7 ounces. The fact of the matter is there are cologne's that work best for certain times of the year and certain occasion's. I usually wear a lighter fragrance in the spring and summer like aqua di gio or dolce and gabana light blue. I wear a heavier fragrance in the winter or for a romanic evening if I am on hot date. I just can't wear one type of cologne. Now if you have a limited budget then you will have to go with just one or two,but there are so many great designer fragrances. I just would never spend the money on a creed cologne because I don't feel any cologne or perfume is worth what they charge for there fragrances.