Code of Conduct

Default Why Are Some Fragrances No Longer At The Mall?

One of my favorite frags is Swiss Army, which in Canada is only carried by Wallmart and some Shoppers Drug Mart stores (I know, I called Victoronox and asked).

My question is, why would a company make a frag and not put it in the department store, and does this bode well for the future availability of my cologne?

Also, what stores is Swiss carried at in the US? Is it just Canada where this is hard to find?
    Last edited by vulcan; 3rd June 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: Why Are Some Fragrances No Longer At The Mall?

It probably doesn't sell well, and it probably doesn't bode well for the future of this cologne
    I own a bottle, I find it way too soapy IMO.
    As far as who sells swiss I am not sure as I have not gone around looking for it, but it is in abundance on Ebay.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I called our local Victorinox store and they carry it; the SA said Kohl's department store does too (if you have them in Canada). Also he said it can be ordered from the Victorinox website, and said the website has a store locator you can use to find the product locally (or at least to find the stores, which you could call.)

http://www.swissarmy.com/fragrance/P...ic+collection&

Department stores tend to only stock the biggest sellers and new releases -- and every time they need shelf space for a new release, something has to get booted to make room for it.

I guess I'm just worried that my signature scent will be discontinued. When I can only get it at Wallmart, it makes me worry that soon I wont be able to get it at all.

I always see Swiss Army go for dirt cheap at Shoppers Drug Mart. It is usually around October and goes for $19.99 a bottle. Just stock up if you are worried it will be discontinued.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

it's just going downmarket. a lot of scents survive and flourish at a lower price point, so you never know. signature scents are boring anyway. time to branch out before everyone smells like you!

I just saw Swiss Army & Swiss Army Altitude both at Kohl's this past weekend. Kohls is actually pretty cool. They carry several fragrances that are no longer in most bigger dept. stores. Plus, they leave you alone and let you sample on your own (HUGE plus in my book! In fact, I probably sampled 30 different fragrances there this weekend. I'm sure they loved me using up so many paper strips

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    I guess I'm just worried that my signature scent will be discontinued. When I can only get it at Wallmart, it makes me worry that soon I wont be able to get it at all.
    Don't worry, vulcan, there are scads of other frags that you would enjoy...and I'm sure your fellow Basenoters will be happy to help you find them!

I just ordered some from the SA website. Dillards use to carry it and I thought it was unique to them. Mistake to drop. Its a great fragrance. It went for $65 and now its $48 for the 3.4 oz. I ordered the deodorant as well. This one is fresh and cool and I wanted to take a fragrant journey down memory lane as I do have memories with this one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Department stores tend to only stock the biggest sellers and new releases -- and every time they need shelf space for a new release, something has to get booted to make room for it.
    Very true.

It's all about the dollar.....The best sellers and the new scents are at the mall.....The more stock a store has sitting around the more taxes they pay.....This also ties up money that could be spent on something that would move better!!!
    Gary