Code of Conduct

Default On the fragrance-free workplace...

Sad news here:

I can see a hospital banning perfumes and strong odors, but this? Even chlorine bleach cleansers used in hospitals can cause lung reactions to the sensitive. I hate to use bleach in the house as it gives me a headache; I open windows to air the rooms when I clean using it. Does that mean I ban chlorine for every place I visit?

When will this stop? What of bathrooms with scented cleaners, not to mention aerosol air fresheners?)

(Heck, we have an elderly neighbor with emphysema who always wears a tons of Chanel No. 5...)

See this: "Do not underestimate the willingness of employees to cooperate with restrictions on scented products.
    Experiences so far show overwhelming acceptance of such restrictions."

http://www.lung.ca/_resources/Develo...aWorkplace.pdf
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd June 2010 at 11:31 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: On the fragrance-free workplace...

Primrose, I can't access the link . However, I agree with you. It's madness. How about new paint smells ? Those are pretty toxic and 'sick building syndrome' ( all the toxins from carpets and the work environment ?? )
    I shall retreat further into scent fumes, no matter what the Politically Correct Police say or do to me.

Crazy crazy world this is becoming .......
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd June 2010 at 11:44 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Primrose, I can't access the link . However, I agree with you. It's madness. How about new paint smells ? Those are pretty toxic and 'sick building syndrome' ( all the toxins from carpets and the work environment ?? )
    I shall retreat further into scent fumes, no matter what the Politically Correct Police say or do to me.

Crazy crazy world this is becoming .......
    Mimi, this was a brochure on how to implement a scent-free workplace. I know medicinal chorhexidine, a topical antinfective used in hospitals, has a scent to it. For crying out loud... This is insane.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th June 2010 at 05:26 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

It is dappy. If you're having to work in a building where the air supply is so meagre that perfume becomes a nuisance, that would be a major health concern in and of itself.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mimi, this was a brochure on how to implement a scent-free workplace. I know medicinal chorhexidine, a topical antinfective used in hospitals, has a scent to it. For crying out loud... This is insane.
    Oh yes, I actually like Chlorhexidine ! *LOL* When I worked in the hospital environment-looong ago, I used dollops of Chanel No.5- even extrait to work and the patients used to love to hug me . I got the msot compliments for any perfume ever , from patients in hospital ,of all ages. It made their day to smell something other than pee, poo ,medication and all those hospital smells , including the smell of death.
    This world is a 'nanny world' now- big brother always on your back .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th June 2010 at 09:54 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

it still puzzles me why people would prefer the smell of dusty streets, BO and sweat and the obnoxious smell of carpets as opposed to fine scents...

I'm fortunate enough not to have to work in an office now. When I did, most of the women wore cologne and smelled great. Offices have a smell -- industrial grade carpet, and cleaners, copier toner, paint and so on, not to mention the ubiquitous "burnt microwave popcorn" and, I imagine now, sweat, scalp and fart. Since most people sit in cubicles in the modern office, these odors rise into the shared air and and are wafted about so that everyone can enjoy them. My husband tells me that cubicle-dwellers are discouraged from wearing fragrances, as they might offend others nearby.

WTF?
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Blog Entries

Just as a contrarian note, I would say that overuse might be a factor. Maybe we should revive an old-fashioned rule: 'If you can smell it yourself, you have used too much!'