Code of Conduct

Cool A young, fresh fragance for summer

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, and I only recently got my 2nd ever EDT bottle, so I'm pretty much a beginner.

I've been enjoying Escada's "Magnetism" for men during the winter/spring days, but now that summer is approaching (with all its heat and... sweat), I feel I need to get a new, more appropriate scent. These are the things I'm looking for:

* A "young" fragance, for people around my age (I'm 24)... something I'd wear to just "hang out" or go about during the daytime; nothing too serious (I'll even consider "sporty"/"active" fragances)

* Preferrably a "fresh" or "citrusy" smell... not limited to this, anything that's good for summer will be fine

* A scent that will be attractive... people have to tell me I smell nice... for this, the fragance needs to last long enough and be noticeable

* If the fragance is "unique" or not so popular (much like "Magnetism" is), it would be a big plus! Especially if it doesn't mean "hard to get"!

For reference, I used to LOVE CK's "Crave". Of course, now I consider it a bit cheap, and maybe "too teenager-ish" for me... but a similar, more suitable fragance could be nice.

That's it!

The idea would be to get some nice suggestions, try them out and decide on one or two fragances to get. As it is, I don't even know where to start (and earlier "fragance trips" of mine have been a bit overwhelming).

You're the experts... Any suggestions?
    Last edited by thegamer; 4th June 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Default Re: A young, fresh fragance for summer

Escada Sunset Heat would be a good youthful citrus scent. For a great fresh scent that has gotton me some compliments, try Azzaro Chrome.

Blog Entries

Some to try

Fits your description and not overly popular: L'eau par Kenzo, Clinique Happy, Givenchy Blue Label, Nautica Voyage, Gendarme
    Fits your description but a little more common: L'eau D'Issey, Acqua di Gio, 212 Men, Bvlgari Aqva, Mugler Cologne

I second on L'eau par kenzo, L'eau D'Issey, acqua di gio and aqva.
    Other fragrances that weren't mention were eau fraiche by versace, allure sport by chanel, D&G light blue, creed VIW, and my favorite which isn't common, burberry summer by burberry.

Blog Entries

Forgot to say Welcome to Basenotes thegamer. And also to you ilovestorm (i love your name btw). I almost mentioned D&G Light Blue myself. Versace Pour Homme is another good one (like a mature AdG to me). And since Allure Homme Sport was mentioned, I'll also throw in Allure Homme Edition Blanche which I personally prefer over Sport.

Sur la Plage

If you want unique, I would recommend steering clear of things from D&G, Versace, Chanel, etc.

I would recommend trying

Aramis New West for Him
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    Guy Laroche Horizon

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

Hi and welcome,

Many good suggestions so far. I would suggest giving Polo Sport a sample, it actually smells sporty and invigoratingly fresh to me.

Fresh but not sporty, and not popular: Romance Silver for Men, Antidote by V&R, Azzaro Now Man, Terre d'Hermes (may be popular depending on where you live, it's virtually unheard of in this part of the midwest), Le Roy Soleil Homme

Fresh, good, but may very well be popular: Versace PH, Allure Homme Sport Cologne, Allure Homme Sport
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Terre d'Hermes

I don't hesitate to recommend this to anyone, of any age, for any occasion or use. Available for really reasonable prices online. It just smells great. Period.

+1 to Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, by the way, and it may be easier to sample -- can likely be found at your local Nordstrom or possibly even Macy's.

Versace PH,good smell

Thumbs up Re: A young, fresh fragance for summer

Hello again everyone, and thank you for the polite welcome.

I already tried my first batch of fragances. This is what I've smelled so far...

Couldn't find - Sunset Heat, Gendarme, Mugler Cologne. I'm told Sunset Heat was a seasonal fragance. I'd love to try it because I liked Escada's Magnetism and assume it is as good.

Not for me - Bvlgari Aqua... One of its ingredients is too strong, doesn't smell good on me. I'm sure it smells great on others, but I'll have to avoid it! Another I don't see myself (or smell myself) wearing is Cool Water Freeze Me... I know I'm looking for "fresh", but it's too much.

Undecided - Happy, Blue Label, Chrome, L'eau D'Issey, Cool Water Summer. These I liked, but wheren't exactly what I'm looking for, or very memorable. I've tried Chrome before, and it has a good smell, very clean... but I'm unsure if "it's me". L'eau D'Issey smells great, very elegant, but as with Chrome, I'm unsure if it's what I'm looking for right now.

Good - L'eau par Kenzo, Kenzo Power, Lacoste Essential, Joop Jump. These smelled delicious and I see myself wearing them. Though not cheap, they smell fresh and sophisticated (the Kenzos and Lacoste especially). L'eau par Kenzo was my favorite of the bunch, I think, even if a little bit feminine once dry. I'm only doubtful of their longevity and noticeability... I'll check the reviews, but appreciate comments from anyone who's used them. For now, these are my top contenders.

Hopefully, there can be an "Outstanding" category on the next batch.

Great suggestions everyone! I'm eager to try the rest.

Regards.
    Last edited by thegamer; 4th June 2010 at 10:16 PM.

Blog Entries

If you like LpK, the you definitely need to try out Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. They definitely share some similarities, but where LpK is tart AHEB is more creamy and refined. I love them both.

Hello again everyone. I tried a few more fragances this weekend...

Couldn't find - Any Channel fragance, including the Allures... appareantly the perfume shops in the mall I went to don't carry Channel. I'll try them elsewhere. I couldn't find Burberry Summer either, and I have a feeling I'll like it... is it really popular?

Not for me - CK Free. I sort of liked its smell, but it didn't last much in my case...

Undecided - Polo Sport. It's really clean and fresh, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. Could give it another chance.

Great - Sunset Heat. This one smells really, really good on me, it's noticeable... and it lasts! I'm pretty sure I'm getting this one! Sadly, as its name and package implies, this seems more fitting for the evening, and I'm looking for something that smells more "like daytime".

Are the Lacoste scents good? I see no mention of them in this thread, but from what I read, they're mostly "fresh" and "sporty", which seems fitting.

Still have some more of your suggestions to try. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by thegamer; 7th June 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Well Burberry Summer is a flanker off of Burberry Classic by Burberry. Its not really rare in stores but I haven't smelled it on other people yet. And I don't know anyone who owns it, compared to the amount of people who owns ADG. I really like Burberry summer than ADG, lasts longer and the smell is so nice.
    If there is any Macys, Nordstroms, or Sephoras around, definitely give it a try, most likely they'll have it.

also I dont like CK or polo frags because they smell wayyyyyyy too much synthetic, There are way more better frags out there.

Well good luck on your hunt

Well, I just tried Allure Sport and Edition Blanche a few of hours ago, one on the back of each hand. I like the smell of both, but sadly they have the same effect as Hugo Boss on me... they make me a little queasy. Or maybe it's just Edition Blanche, as Sport is a bit milder. The perfume lady DID spray each one 3 times in a smallish area, though...

I may give them a 2nd chance (especially Sport) but they probably won't work for me. And it's a shame, because i think they're great scents, pretty close to what I'm looking for.

I'll keep trying! Still have a good amount of suggestions to try...

@ ilovestorm

It was appareantly sold out in the couple of stores I went to this weekend. I'm hoping I can find it in the regular shops.
    Last edited by thegamer; 8th June 2010 at 12:27 AM.

I recommend Frederic Malle Outrageous. Has a fresh lime citrus scent with a definite youthful vibe compared to other citrus scents. It isn't very common so you'll be unique. Still, that might make it hard to find for you since I think it's only sold in Barneys and Barneys Co-op department stores. If there isn't one, you'll have to resort to buying decants off someone or buying from eBay. Just be warned that it isn't well-liked here on basenotes due to its synthetic feel (which I admit is true), but I think it fits your criteria perfectly.

Blog Entries

The Allures may very well not be for you. However, I would recommend trying them with a lighter application (it may make all the difference). Edition Blanche is in my current Top 5, however if over applied it can get cloying.

I would suggest you to try Quiksilver

Blog Entries

just walk into Macy's its 80% fresh fragrances

Thumbs up Re: A young, fresh fragance for summer

Hello again. I tried a few more scents, so it's time for an update.

Not for me - Joop Jump. I tried this again and realised it's really, REALLY sweet. Not what I'm looking for.

Undecided - Lacoste Challenge, Burberry Summer, Tous Sport, Nautica Voyage and Voyage Summer, CH 212 Sexy, Ralph Lauren Romance. I liked the scent of "Summer" but felt it didn't project much, same for the Nautica frags. The rest was "I like, but not enough".

Good - CK Eternity Summer, D&G Light Blue, CH Men. I liked the scent of all of them, really nice. Probably won't buy at this time as CH isn't really a summer frag or what I'm looking for at least. The other two I'm unsure of their projection and sillage.

Great - 212 Men, Versace Eau Fraiche. These are probably common in general, though not much around here. I liked 212 Men best as I feel it's very fresh, young and sporty, but still versatile. Both fit into what I wanted in different ways.

I think 212 Men is a definite buy. Additionally, I'm thinking of buying an aquatic (either Eau Fraiche or L'eau Par Kenzo) to switch it up during the summer days... For the first time I'll have more than one fragance bottle to choose from!

If you guys have thoughts on my picks, do share!

Blog Entries

212 Men is a good choice, and definitely should fit what you are looking for. I love it too. It's in my top 5.

Dear thegamer: There's no citrus better than Dior's Eau Sauvage. It's the only citrus from the 1960s that verges on the aquatic (way before it was fashionable.)
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

I'm also looking for a fragrance... can anyone help?

For the past couple weekends I've been on a sampling a lot of different fragrances from Macy's, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus. I had a bottle of Creed Silver Mountain Water shipped to my home along with several Creed samples and decided to return the SMW bottle. I really like the SMW frag but the longevity sucks (dies after about two hours) so I don't find it to be worth keeping at the price.

Would prefer EdP and something unique with longevity, sweet... basically something like SMW but with greater longevity and hopefully at $150 price point and less. But I might be willing to shell out more cash if there's something that really piques my interest.

I don't like: Issey Miyake L'Eau Dissey, practically anything from Ralph Lauren or Sean John (I don't think Unforgivable or I Am King smells equivalent to Creed at all), CK One, aquatic scents like GIT, Terre D'Hermes, Emporio Armani (something I forgot the name, silver box, similar to the Prada Infusion D'Homme which I also don't care for), Aqua di Gio, Clive Christian no 1 (talk about expensive and too effeminate for me), YSL L'Homme/Nuit de Homme...

Also, I'm in NOVA/DC so I'll be stopping by Art with Flowers and the Parfums de France shops sometime soon.

Any additional recommendations as I continue to lurk at basenotes?
    Last edited by laughter95; 21st June 2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: I feel like I'm searching for some magic potion that doesn't exist

OP, I highly recommend Hermes eau d'orange verte. I got it as a gift 10 years ago and liked it then, I still like it today. It is light and citrus, it is mild, and can be worn in the heat of summer. It doesn't have awesome longevity, but it is non offensive, smells good, not overwhelming in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by laughter95 View Post
    I'm also looking for a fragrance... can anyone help?

For the past couple weekends I've been on a sampling a lot of different fragrances from Macy's, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus. I had a bottle of Creed Silver Mountain Water shipped to my home along with several Creed samples and decided to return the SMW bottle. I really like the SMW frag but the longevity sucks (dies after about two hours) so I don't find it to be worth keeping at the price.

Would prefer EdP and something unique with longevity, sweet... basically something like SMW but with greater longevity and hopefully at $150 price point and less. But I might be willing to shell out more cash if there's something that really piques my interest.

I don't like: Issey Miyake L'Eau Dissey, practically anything from Ralph Lauren or Sean John (I don't think Unforgivable or I Am King smells equivalent to Creed at all), CK One, aquatic scents like GIT, Terre D'Hermes, Emporio Armani (something I forgot the name, silver box, similar to the Prada Infusion D'Homme which I also don't care for), Aqua di Gio, Clive Christian no 1 (talk about expensive and too effeminate for me), YSL L'Homme/Nuit de Homme...

Also, I'm in NOVA/DC so I'll be stopping by Art with Flowers and the Parfums de France shops sometime soon.

Any additional recommendations as I continue to lurk at basenotes?
    Bond no 9. I really don't love this brand, but it lasts forever. I wreak of it the next morning if I spray it on at night before I go out. There are too many scents to really guess your favorite, and bond no 9 really makes scents all over the place. I have chez bond, which does smell quite similar to GIT which I noticed only after a fellow basenoter posted the similarity.

Bond no 9 did make a big mistake though by threatening the perfumed court to quit selling decants of it's scents by use of trademark infringement which was quite tasteless by the brand.

EDP, longevity, and sweet sounds likes Opium Pour Homme. I have not tried it yet, but I want to.

This is my first suggestion on BN. I hope you find it useful.

To me, I would try Fragonard - Eau du Bonheur
    http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...nheur-c-52.htm

Reason being that you can get a 200mL bottle for $60 and you'll virtually never run out. It's a very fresh spring/summer scent that I use at least once a week now. And assuming you're in the US, almost nobody will have this brand.

Give them a quick email asking for some samples and they'll be happy to send for free. I got about ten 1mL vials and some packet samples. Real great service.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoba View Post
    This is my first suggestion on BN. I hope you find it useful.

To me, I would try Fragonard - Eau du Bonheur
    http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...nheur-c-52.htm

Reason being that you can get a 200mL bottle for $60 and you'll virtually never run out. It's a very fresh spring/summer scent that I use at least once a week now. And assuming you're in the US, almost nobody will have this brand.

Give them a quick email asking for some samples and they'll be happy to send for free. I got about ten 1mL vials and some packet samples. Real great service.
    Do you have their email? I can't find it on the site.

Thanks!
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George P View Post
    Do you have their email? I can't find it on the site.

Thanks!
    George
    On their terms of sales section, it says:
    For all ordering information, please contact our Customer Services Department:
    Email address : fragonard.usa@fragonard.com
    Postal address : Parfums Fragonard Inc.- P.O.Box 517 - Edison, NJ 08817-0517 USA

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoba View Post
    On their terms of sales section, it says:
    For all ordering information, please contact our Customer Services Department:
    Email address : fragonard.usa@fragonard.com
    Postal address : Parfums Fragonard Inc.- P.O.Box 517 - Edison, NJ 08817-0517 USA

Good luck!
    Thanks!