Code of Conduct

Default New Clive Christian test- kind of...

You're going to hate me cause I'm not good at breaking down a scent, but just got a small sample squirt of the new Clive Christian. The rep in Nieman Marcus doesn't even know what it's called, but says it's due out in July. She also offered little in the way of a breakdown of the notes - other than it takes millions of flowers to make one bottle or some such hyperbole.

I'm at a loss as to how to describe it. I keep getting some sort of plum maybe even persimmon like note. Very vaguely reminds me of DK Fuel for Men, but much more tame, subtle and refined. I had heard it was going to be a leather scent, but if it's got leather in it, it's real low dose. (What's not helping is I'm wearing Vintage Tabarome today).

It's also a tiny squirt and my my nose is too dense to pull it apart. No sample vials or anything like that available.

I've been sort of fishing for something in the same rich, mature Vintage Tabarome vein and so far- this isn't it. (Oroville on the other hand is looking petty comeptitive).

I'll be interested in hearing others break this one apart. What little I can get from it is certainly refined and distinctive. It also has a sort of odd sillage. Moving my arm around I'm catching odd and intriguing whiffs even up against King Kong VT. A little "HEY- what was that?" sort of effect.

Sure wish Asha had been there. She'd pull it apart in minutes.

Default Re: New Clive Christian test- kind of...

Did they have the tester in Neiman in LA. If so I can go tomorrow and try it.

Interesting indeed
    I was wondering how feel about the rest of the lineup, this is one house I have yet to sample
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Hasupk: They sell a sampler/traveler kit for like $300 or so with 10ml bottles of each the three main male scents.

I love X for Men. But the price annoyed me so much way back in my pre Basenotes days, I JOINED Basenotes to find other, similar less pricey scents. The irony of course being, I've spent many times more on scents now than the one bottle of X would have cost. It was a very warm, inviting sensual male scent. I got buried with women's attention when wearing it. It stands out.

#1 is an over the top masculine floral sort in the same vein as Amouage Gold to me. I like it, but c'mon, I'm just not a $800 per bottle kind of guy. It's a good scent. Call it the psychology of knowing how pricey it is, but you do feel pretty rich and special wearing it. Not quite as ornate as Amouage Gold- more like upper crust British to me where Gold is more middle Eastern. And not enough of an experience for me to pop that kind of change. I'd almost feel like I needed to join one of those fictional gentlemen's clubs to wear it. Or go to state dinners or something.

1872 I just don't like.

Cairo: Yes, Beverly Hills store. She had a little tiny vial atomizer hidden in the back. You may have to "work her" for a test schpritz. She's pretty busy pushing the other three awfully hard.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th June 2010 at 04:29 AM.

I know her very well. I think the person you spoke to was Shu Shu (The Korean Lady). I have known her for a long time. I will go check it out tomorrow. I am a big fan of the line so I am very excited to try this and may pre-order it.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I know her very well. I think the person you spoke to was Shu Shu (The Korean Lady). I have known her for a long time. I will go check it out tomorrow. I am a big fan of the line so I am very excited to try this and may pre-order it.
    Indeed! That's her. I look forward to your thoughts. You were very perceptive about Oroville. A very generous BNer sent me a sample and it IS wet tobacco leaf for sure. Still need to give it a good test wear and see how it holds up to my beloved VT.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Hasupk: I love X for Men. But the price annoyed me so much way back in my pre Basenotes days, I JOINED Basenotes to find other, similar less pricey scents. The irony of course being, I've spent many times more on scents now than the one bottle of X would have cost.
    This is me! I joined and almost posted a 'what is similar to X' thread but instead lost myself in the site. And I still haven't sprung for a bottle . . . one day.

The only Clive Christian to catch my attention - and I tried them all this year down in San Francisco - was X For Men, but as much as I love those cardamon top note ( and I love them a lot ), the woody, powdery drydown was just not worth the dough.

This new one doesn't sound like it will convert me to this line...

Not trying to be negative but, I doubt I'd take a free bottle of anything in the line. 1872 was ok but, the line is comprised of overly-comlex notes that present as a jumbled up mess of incoherent direction.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Pardon me, but I am thinking of the French, "chou chou." How cute! Or the French "chouchouter, to pamper." I am not a Clive Christian buyer because I simply can't afford it. I am resigned that I will never be able to have a Lamborghini in my garage (thought I can see one at a car shows), and I am resigned that I can spray a sample at a department store of some CC scents, but never own a full bottle. Gazing and sampling are some of life's little bagatelles.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Love everything in this line and will check out the Niemans in my area to see if they also have a sample of this new scent.

This is exciting news.....I do like the CC scents but have a problem with the cost.....I'll have to see.....Thanks for the information!!!
    Gary

I just tried the new Clive Christian scent at neimans. Let's just say this. It is very very nice but it is the EXACT CARBON COPY of Montale Aoud Leather. When I say exactly... I mean Exactly!!!!! You would not even be able to smell the difference. I know scents as I have smelled every scent possible. I would not doubt CC purchased the formula to montales Aoud leather. It's so identical that I am shocked. Either way it is a very nice addition to the line and I may buy it.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 5th June 2010 at 09:16 PM.

I just tried the new Clive Christian scent at neimans. Let's just say this. It is very very nice but it is the EXACT CARBON COPY of Montale Aoud Leather. When I say exactly... I mean Exactly!!!!! You would not even be able to smell the difference. I know scents as I have smelled every scent possible. I would not doubt CC purchased the formula to montales Aoud leather. It's so identical that I am shocked. Either way it is a very nice addition to the line and I may buy it.
    So what I hear you saying is this smells similar to Tom Ford Tuscan Leather?
    The Bark Bites Back.

Hahahhaha. Exactly! You know what!! It does actually smell like Tuscan leather too. You know how people said Tuscan leather smells like cocaine. This has that exact same smell. Thanks for reminding me!! It does have the same smell as Tuscan leather as aoud leather smells like that one too!! Dude it smells like damn Tuscan leather!!!!!!
    Last edited by cairomerta; 5th June 2010 at 10:34 PM.

I sampled No.1 for Men and X for Men today and they're absolutely gorgeous, but I can get much more gorgeous fragrances with less money. Indeed, they evoke class and classic richness they just aren't worth it.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Wow, that that type of scent sounds very un-Clive Christian

Tried it today and I do like it. Its a really nice scent and I too get a very faint plum note. Its also sort of buttery with suede/leather. I don't think its a knock you on the floor kind of scent, but then again, the SA only sprayed a teeny tiny amount on my wrist and I can smell it well. Not sure if I would pay the price for it though..maybe, but I don't feel trapped like I did when I sniffed Windsor or Bois du Portugal...we'll see.
    Last edited by litworth; 29th June 2010 at 09:17 PM.

update. It's a NO. Nice scent but the price point matters, It's not worth it. 150 is cool but 300+ is a definitive NO. Check your marketing.

As a result of this thread I ended up trying the TF Tuscan Leather and buying it.

Here you go. There are like 30000000 notes in this thing!!

Has anyone tried the women's?

Yeah. I actually have it on right now. It is a very nice tuberose and jasmine scent. A lot of tuberous in it. Very nice but not mind blowing or even inventive.

I will sample this for sure.....Even if I like this I'm not sure that I would make a purchase.....Gary

Another update. I can still smell this thing on me 18 hours later which is mind boggling given that the SA sprayed the teeniest amount possible on my wrist. I may have to buy this thing based on its strength and longevity alone. The scent is a very, very nice scent, just not groundbreaking. StylinLA, did you find TL to be very similar to this fragrance? How's the longevity on that?

Bump.

In the end, I got a whopping 30 hours from this. And even then, it didn't last longer because I took a bath. I will be purchasing this when it comes out as it is a VERY refined..SMOOTH and all around nice scent. It deserves my respect.

Think golden brown velvet, sort of the color of the bottle. Slightly sweet hay.

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Another update. I can still smell this thing on me 18 hours later which is mind boggling given that the SA sprayed the teeniest amount possible on my wrist. I may have to buy this thing based on its strength and longevity alone. The scent is a very, very nice scent, just not groundbreaking. StylinLA, did you find TL to be very similar to this fragrance? How's the longevity on that?
    Litworth, I have a pretty dense nose and it was the tiniest of sprays on one wrist. Very hard to make the call on if I think it is like Tuscan Leather.

Actually, after some of the chat in this thread mentioned Tuscan Leather, I went and tried it and liked it a lot. TL is pretty intense, and pretty tenacious. I'd say many would think it to be fairly linear, but I like it a lot. I'm not yet qualified to judge if it smells like the new CC.

My main take away on the CC in the small test, it had an unusual and enticing sillage that sporadically appeared. Complicating things, I was wearing Vintage Tabarome on the day I got the wrist squirt.

Sur la Plage

I tried Clive Christian C for Men today. It is the first Clive Christian scent that I think is good - and definitely worth $375 $75.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried Clive Christian C for Men today. It is the first Clive Christian scent that I think is good - and definitely worth $375 $75.
    I like your tastes petruccijc, what's your take on it. I see it's got a gazilla notes...

This is fantastic!!! I sampled this and found this to be excellent!!!
    Gary

Agree it's fantastic and well worth the asking price.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I like your tastes petruccijc, what's your take on it. I see it's got a gazilla notes...
    I picked up a lot of incense and oud from it - which I like a lot. But I didn't find it to be something spectacular, and certainly not worth the ridiculous price of $375 for 50ml.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried it today and was favorably impressed. But would not pay $375 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    So what I hear you saying is this smells similar to Tom Ford Tuscan Leather?
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I smelled C earlier in the summer and couldn't place what it reminded me of. I wore Tom Ford Tuscan Leather yesterday, and then coincidentally, I tried my "C" sample today, and realized it is almost a dead ringer for Tuscan Leather (I haven't smelled Aoud Leather yet).

Tuscan Leather, in my opinion, is richer, "lower" pitched, weightier (in a good way), and the berry note is more intense. There is this small molecule of something sharp and slightly sour in the middle of C that gives it a slightly higher pitch but the similarities are really undeniable. Though for as similar as they are, I like Tuscan Leather a lot more. Tuscan Leather also remains richer, denser, and more compact from start to finish, where C begins to dissipate pretty quickly.

Funny you picked up this thread today nthny. I was in Nieman last night and the Clive rep attacked me with a bottle of C.
    Insisted on spraying some on arm. She totally denied giving me the sample spritz that started this thread back in June.

It smells nice, but there is way too much going on there for my simple nose. All those notes....

I guess I can see the similarity between C and Tuscan Leather.

Is it good sillage and longevity on these frags?

I found it pretty fair, yes. And I will say, they DO smell like they are expensive.

As to worth it or not, depends how much you like it.

"C" is very opulent. "X" is very sexy. Number One smells like male perfume.

Basenotes Institution

I gotta say I am quite partial to Clive Christian. So far everything I have smelt ,smells fabulous ! Including the new C . ( Don't like the orangey bottle but that's a minor issue ) I particularly love X - both the men's and women's. I love the bottles too. Price wise- not so much but I still want X for women !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.