Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Xeryus Rouge: Your thoughts?

Finally got around to sampling this (had a sample once years ago but it didn't make an impression then. I don't know why.) and I find this really intriguing.

I get the citrus up top along with a fruity note, and also some very dry and slightly scratchy notes of cedar leaf (primarily) and geranium, plus whatever is going into the cactus accord. The fruit disappears quickly but later re-emerges in the heart. From there on out I sometimes detect the fruit, usually when I really warm up or breathe on the spot, but otherwise the dry, scratchy woody accord smells most prominent to me. I know dry and scratchy sounds negative, and normally I would use those adjectives in a negative manner, but in this fragrance the texture is actually really appealing as it somehow manages to get close to, but never cross into irksome territory. The wood accord also smells unlike anything I've ever really experienced - if I had to give it a color i'd say it smells more grey, with hints of beige. Dry and a bit barren. Like Terre d'Hermes but without the sunlight. Xeryus Rouge is more like an overcast autumn day.

Interestingly, as I said before, the fruity notes do persist for a long time and make themselves known briefly at seemingly random intervals. This keeps the scent from becoming too woody/dry/bleak, and is what really gives it that overcast autumn day feeling.

Does anyone else read the scent that way I do? I'm curious to hear what you all think of this. I think I really like it, but after only one full wearing don't fully understand it. I'm going to give this another wearing or two - I really think this could become (along with L'Anarchiste, Bois de Turquie, and Davidoff Adventure) an autumn staple.

Let me know what you think of Xeryus Rouge.

edit: Does anyone else feel there are similarities to TdH, in some ways? I feel like TdH is aligned to summer, while XR is what TdH would smell like if it were aligned to autumn.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th June 2010 at 05:20 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Givenchy Xeryus Rouge: Your thoughts?

At this point, it's too synthetic and spiky/rough for me. I would have to dilute it and perhaps add some good quality amber frag to it (like Etro's Ambra) to make it wearable for me.

Bah, that would ruin everything that makes this fragrance interesting and unique!

But, I do understand how people could feel it's too harsh/spiky.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th June 2010 at 05:35 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Cool Re: Givenchy Xeryus Rouge: Your thoughts?

I think it's insane but fun. I mean how many frags can boast of cactus flesh as a note?

So, while I get no connection to TdH, I do get a connection to the musical version of Little House of Horrors

And another good virtue is that although it's quite sweet, it is not a vanilla-tonka bomb, like so many others.

OK. So in the fruity scents category it's not Montana Parfum d'Homme (original red box), Havana, Le Roy Soleil Homme, or even the simple, light and underrated Homme Nature by Yves Rocher.

XG? It's more like a mad scientist working with John Varvatos went off the deep end.

I'm glad he did, the world would be less colorful if he hadn't.

I like it but not enough to get a full bottle. It makes me smile for a while but ultimately shrug.
    In this, I'm in the minority. If you look up the reviews you'll see it is a love it or hate it scent.

It sounds to me like you love it. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 4th June 2010 at 05:53 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

My favourite by Givenchy. It is strong fougere with great longevity and projection. Different, unique. It reminds me of much stronger Gucci by Gucci PH without the tea note that Gucci has. On me, Rouge does not develop fruity at all, I find no words to describe it.

It's not as mad to me as it apparently is to others. I do get what I can imagine cactus flesh smells like, but more than that I get the very aromatic, sweet, and yet sharp and biting aroma of cedar leaf oil (although the actual oil is extremely ephemeral - i'm curious how this got extended. Although, I have detected a similar accord in other scents that list cedar leaf, such as Deseo for Men by J.Lo). So, despite there being a fair bit of sweetness present, the scent doesn't read to my nose as actually being sweet because of all of the contrapuntal sharp and dry elements.

While I enjoyed my first wearing I am very worried that my ultimate reaction may be something akin to yours Mario - it's nice and interesting but at the end of the day - *shrug*. I hope that's not the case, though, as both my g/f and I really like this one so far.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th June 2010 at 05:57 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Interesting Zgb. You don't detect any fruity notes at any point in the drydown? I admit that the scent does not smell fruity enough on me to be labeled a "fruity scent" - but the fruity note apparent at the opening does peek out now and again in the drydown (my original post may have made it sound like it is omnipresent, but it isn't, at least not on me.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I'm a huge fan of Xeryus Rouge. I get alot of the cactus note, which smells rather like cracking into a fresh aloe vera leaf. Then, red pepper and finally cedar. Primarily, cactus and red pepper though.

Sillage and longevity are both enduring. This scent is weird (unique) and wonderful.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Zgb captures XR quite well, and his comparison with GpH II is right on.

What sets XR apart from, say, Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge (a more similar frag), apart from the cactus fruit, is the Givenchy-quality blending.

XR is one of my favourite sweeties.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This is one of the few frags I bought blind (based on favorable reviews) that I absolutely did not like and regretted buying.

But I haven't tried it in years, since that first disastrous application.

This thread has piqued my curiosity again and I'll have to give it another try and investigate it more carefully. Unfortunately it's extremely hot here now and I'll probably wait until summer is over before doing so.

the thing with Xeryus Rouge is that ppl seldom encounter it and it is not something SA will recommend. This scent is cold, btw. not a warm one at all. That's why it doesn't have so much reviews and it is rarely mentioned.
    Last edited by Zgb; 4th June 2010 at 09:57 AM.

My general view is similar to OPs. Tried it first...........quite nice though slightly disappointed based on reviews. It intrigued me enough to get a bottle, it has something that draws me towards it. Very sweet, but a nice, light semi-refreshing sweet. Pimento/cactus in the opening can be a bit harsh, but soon mellows out. I only get a faint woods.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Nice, cool in a semi aquatic way, and I agee with dnc.. "refreshingly sweet". But somehow I don't find it compelling either. I wouldn't mind a decant tho.

I find it quite refreshing and am happy it's in my collection.

For those of you who own and/or like this, what season, weather, situations, etc do you find yourself most inclined to reach for this? My thoughts are fall/casual and also evening/semi-romantic.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

In one word "Magnificent!" My wife says most of my frags smell the same, but this is one that she always comments on when I wear it. The liquid inside is warm and rich. The fruit, cactus and pepper combine to give it an intriguing start, somewhat like melon and spices, but at the same time citrussy.

What I also like is that as this fragrance develops, the musk does not dominate, but is beautifully balanced with the spice and woody elements. It lasts a long time with only slight change. Lasts 8 hours on me - which is really saying something.
    Jim

I was wondering why I liked it at the time. Then I saw the H&R Chart. The fruit notes had me confused, but it an ambery fougere. I don't why I'm so drawn to sniffing all scents classified as Ambery fougeres in that chart. It's not like I wear them a lot after I've bought them.
    Renato

I like it. Someone said is pretty similar to Salvador Dali -Le roi soleil and I agree with him. I just think XRis much stronger and has better longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For those of you who own and/or like this, what season, weather, situations, etc do you find yourself most inclined to reach for this? My thoughts are fall/casual and also evening/semi-romantic.
    this one is quite versatile, as an oriental you'll love it in winter and fall, as an fougere you'll be inclined to wear it in summer evenings. For me XR is a rainy day frag. Whole year fragrance, in other words. Longevity and sillage are awesome, so go easy on the trigger during warmer days. This one can be worn on a date, definitely. This is not a popular fragrance at all, there are no bunch of ppl who smell this way.