Code of Conduct

Wink The rise and fall of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

One evening when I first tested TV from a tiny vial that I had bought, I got so captivated that I couldn't sleep that night because I wanted to buy the bottle immediately. I promptly managed to buy a sizeable quantity (around 90ml) from a seller on ebay who decanted it from his 250ml flacon.

I think it's well been over a year, maybe a year and a half since I've had this. During this time I've always loved it and have never missed an opportunity to mention it on the board how great it is. I did read about some people thinking that it smells like a cheap vanilla candle and I used to think, what are these people saying...are they kidding me?

Today I am wearing TV and I kid you not, but I think they are so right. TV is reminding me of nothing else but a $5 vanilla candle that sell at cheap stores. Honestly the vanilla is so reminiscent of the candle vanilla that it's just shocking how did I manage to enjoy this for so long without making this cheap association.

Well now I can't shake it. TV is a very linear scent. It is quite potent. It is sickeningly sweet.
    I used to talk about some fine tobacco mixed with vanilla that made TV weave its magic but my dream is over now.

I wore this today after months as I had a similar feel from it the last time I wore it but today I've just nailed it into a coffin. I had a housemate who used to wear it and it would smell so ridiculously good on him but everytime I would wear it, I'd feel sick and no I was not overapplying. You cannot overapply this. You'd die of asphyxiation because all you will then smell is cloying and sweet vanilla that will take over the air around you.

I am still hoping someday my mind will change again. TV will not be sold and will be nurtured until I can tame it again.

Default Re: The rise and fall of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

You know, it happens. I haven't had quite the same experience, but I definitely go off things that I once loved to the point of wanting to wear them almost every day. Sometimes it's weather related. Sometimes I'm convinced it has something to do with a personal biological change, though I'm not sure why I say that. As you said, don't sell it... just nurture it (and appreciate the good times you had) and, with any luck, some day it'll feel exactly right again.

And you know you made me want to go get my decant down off the shelf. I think I'll have just one spritz before bed...

I've had issues with sensitivity, so I think you are making the right call by putting it aside for a while. I've found that you need to stay away for at least 2 weeks, and also don't wear anything that is similar in the meantime.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Saw your comment in today's SotD thread and gasped ;0)

I think i know what you mean. Much as i love TV (and always will) it is one of those frags i need to be in the mood for. It is potent and linear. Requires olfactory stamina to "cope" with, and sometimes i just want "easygoing".

I hope it comes back to you though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It really is a weird one - I've sampled it (on my skin) several times when visiting Tom Ford stockists. The first time I sampled it I absolutely loved it and tried to think of a way of justifying a purchase! I tested it again a few months later and couldn't wait to wash it off - the aroma was so sickly and cloying. Maybe it's a weather / temperature thing or just a matter of perception - who knows....!

I fell in love Tobacco Vanille when it came out in 2007 and still love it. One of the best vanillas, one of the best orientals
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I have a full bottle of this and I am lucky that I do not get the vanilla candle association. For me it smells like the loose vanilla tobacco that you put into a pipe that I have smelled a good few times when I have been to my local tobbaconist. Heavenly.

I agree it is completely linear but I love the density and richness of it

I like it but it can get a little crude at times due to loud sillage paired with a totally linear development.

Personally, I cannot wear it. Reasons are that I don't like vanilla in general. In moderation is ok. LDDM is probably the only I enjoy. One should not have to work so hard to wear a fragrance. If you can't throw it on and it just feel right, then it just isn't meant to be. At least that is how I perceive things. If I have to take a break from, wear nothing similar, constantly question it's integrity, it sweetness, etc etc. I will just eventually have to disregard it and chalk it up as a fragrance that I can't be friends with lol.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

I feel you gupts.

I still have a very small decant of it but I have never owned a full bottle. Probably because...

At it's best: TV can be (in blisteringly cold weather) a warm, cuddly, inner-warmth gourmand that smells sexy sweet and very masculine. I have this mental scent association of me catching a whiff of it, from the inside of my jacket, when I was in LA visiting my parents in very cold weather. It was the epitome of comfort to me, on that day.

At it's worst: TV can make me a bit sick to my stomach. I remember when TV was first released, with all of the 12 original Tom Ford Private Blends, it was one of the few that EVERY blogger liked and had good things to say something about. My buddy Kevin Guyer (formerly Ruggles) sampled it and I remember him saying it reminded him of 'eating pipe tobacco'. I couldn't relate to this myself, but then one day in summer time I applied TV and I got a bit nauseated. It did feel like I was eating tobacco...it kind of reminded me of someone smoking a pipe while I'm trying to eat a pastry at the same time. Not a good combination. So, I do my best NOT to go near my decant bottle any time in Summer and I only wear TV in very cold weather.

gupts, I tried Tv when I was hot on the trail for the Holy Grail of tobacco/vanilla scents. I was very disappointed. Nice, yes, but not so much so that I would fork out the cash to buy. I ended up buying a decant of Back to Black.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

I never got past my 2.5 ml sampler... Its linearity drives me to tears. Works best in crisp cold dry weather imo.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 4th June 2010 at 04:49 PM.

I had a similar problem with my Kilian Black to Black. At first, i loved the smell, found it unique. Today, I don`t stand it. There is something flowery and sharp on it that goes really bad on my skin.
    Tobacco Vanille is one of those scents that i enjoy but I only want to wear a few times in the year. On me is very complex, a strong spicy tobbaco, honey and vanilla. Another honey fragrance that i enjoy but i cannot wear frequently is Un Crime Exotique from Parfumerie Generale.

How could you say that about my beloved B2B !!!

I think that TV works best with a light application , saying that I do know someone that got through 50mls in 3 weeks !!!!!

I can totally relate. This was one of the first niche scents that I fell in love with. But between the fact that its so potent that I only need one squirt, its remarkable longevity and the fact that I live in a swamp (sorry but SoFL feel like a swamp in summer). I realized Id never go through even a 1/4 of it so I just sold my bottle. I have still have several of the 4ml minis and even those will last me for ever.

I have experienced similar fatigue. Mine, though, was due to switching from highly synthetic fragrances (i.e. most) to ones with more natural ingrdients (i.e. Creed). At first I hated the natural ones. Now I don't like some synthetics I used to enjoy.

I am considering purchasing TV since I've really enjoyed my sample. The linearity is a bit boring and I've been trying to layer/blend with other stuff without any success. Sometimes simple is best. Your experience will be factored into my decision.

Thanks

Luckily for me it didn't seem so linear on my skin! It opened with vanilla but as it progressed all I really got was spice, dried fruit, and that sweet sap note.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Wow, that's a whole lot of TV to go through so quickly! Personally, I love it and can't imagine ever growing tired of it. I must say I only wear it during the cold months though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post

I think that TV works best with a light application , saying that I do know someone that got through 50mls in 3 weeks !!!!!

I didn't like it when I first tried it. I bought a flacon for a split and got an ounce for really cheap so it didn't bother me. I thought I could grow to like it or at least easily swap/sale it. It isn't bad but I have a hard time getting into it because it's a difficult fragrance to pull off wearing. I've said this before, but it has a really old world smell to it. Like a guy in a tweed suit would wear it.

You pretty much have to look & dress like Tom Ford to pull of wearing it. It has a distinguished gentlemen vibe about it.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 5th June 2010 at 12:46 AM.

It happened to me as well, loved A*MEN, hated A*MEN, loving A*MEN again. The thing is that your nose needs a break once in a while. I'm sure that if you don't sniff TV for 1 month, you'll find it again delightful.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

gupts what an interesting thread and an even more interestnig title. I wonder if this is true for most TF scents. I wonder if this should be titled The Rise and Fall of the Private Blends or the [Frangrant] House of TF?

I understand what you're saying and I think it's got nothing to do with fatigue. It's just that you saw (smelled) a tiny little corner that's usually hidden and you honed in on it. Now you can't get rid of it. The power of association is very strong in this case. I've done that myself before. Also, I've noticed that with anything that has a tobacco note, for me they are very dependent on the mood and weather.

I only smelled TV once and I always meant to go back to test it more extensively. I'm surprised there's so much mention of the vanilla but not so much of the tobacco note? Wasn't this supposed to be a more tobacco laden, masculine version of Guerlain SDV (why I wanted to test and like it so much)?

I've tested many of the Private Blend titles, as well as the regular line, extensively. Sadly, nothing impressed me enough to go ahead and make a purchase. There's a dark, annoying feeling that they give me (a house note?). I still have my hopes for TV but reading these posts makes me question that.

If I were to be exposed to TV during one of my low blood sugar moments, I'd surely vomit and then pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I did read about some people thinking that it smells like a cheap vanilla candle and I used to think, what are these people saying...are they kidding me?
    Heh. I think I started the description of the vanilla candle at Basenotes last year.

I reapplied TV in the rest room while having a drink with my friends. When I came back, one friend suddenly said: 'Wow, is there a vanilla candle here?' and started sniffing the (scentless ) candle which was standing on top of our table. It turned out that he had mistaken TV for a vanilla candle.

But then again, how can a non-fragrance lover, when least expected, be 'mistaken'? If he really associated the scent with a vanilla candle, then that is his truth. I'd have to say I'd agree with him. For me personally, it's a closer association than vanilla pipe tobacco.

As for TV: I think it's a great scent, but not as magnifiscent (pun inteded) as many Basenoters believe. I'd share Tobacco Vanille with the following scents: Hermès Ambre Narguilé, L'Artisan Tea for Two and L'Occitane Ambre. They all have the same sweet, oriental, amber base, but they differ in the direction building on top of that base.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 5th June 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post

Sounds like he was burning the advent candles
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I enjoy TV (and don't mind it's linearity). That having been said, I wouldn't touch it in the muggy summertime. I've got a couple of sample vials that I'll definitely revisit in the Wisconsin winter...

Any favorite fragrance can eventually become one you dislike. I've had it happen several times. Sometimes you regain the attraction, and sometimes you may not.

I finally had the chance to do a test off a sample today. I can still smell it on my arm about 10 hours later, even after trying to wash it off my arm. The tobacco vibe seems to go away on the drydown.
    I agree with Bizzy on Youtube. I get that marshmellow smore-like vibe.

I read an interview with Tom Ford about a year or so ago, and the interviewer said something like, "He walked in smelling like vanilla baked goods." The tone was not complimentary. At that moment I decided, "Tobacco Vanille - if he can't pull it off, I probably can't either." Even though I like the idea of a robust and creamy tobacco and vanilla accord.

It is a pretty delightful and potent scent. A sample wearing put a big smile on my face. But I can totally see where it would be a good one to wear occasionally. I wear Odori Tabacco on occasion and while similar, the vanilla is a bit more subdued.

I've only tried a handful, but I think a lot of the TFs are pretty linear in that way. Right now, Tuscan Leather is high in my rotation and it has that same kind of linear development. But I don't think the leather will get as annoying to me as the vanilla seems to have with OP.

If it is good and linear I do not care. Tv and Tl are my favs so far From Tom Ford and I want a bottle of both of them. I like the tobacco and vanilla mixture that to me is just sexy and a fav of mine already. I also like high caliber frags, considering most of my favs are Creed as well. At the same time one needs a break from some smells, REL was a fav of mine and i love it but right now i have to take a rest from it. The sweet clean leather accord is wearing my nose thin. I will come back to it.

I enjoy TV but wouldn't wear it very often, perhaps once every two weeks. Sensitivity can change, so when that happens to me I just put the frag aside for a while, sometimes for more than 3 months, then come back to it when I get an "itch" to try it again. It's worked well so far, except for frags that I just don't like, such as Kouros.

Kouros is one you have to wear sparingly that stuff can get nasty. Every now and then it is ok. Too often and you can get sick.

The only comment I ever got while wearing this scent was, "you smell like a candle" Guess your not the only one to make that association.

Love it in the correct weather.

I use it mainly for going out or clubbing in cold fall/winter nights. Works wonders then.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I didn't like it when I first tried it.
    Same here. Still feel this way.

When I was on the hunt for my first Private Blend, I was choosing between TV, NdN and Tuscan Leather. Projection and longevity are great on TV but the overall smell, I was not really impressed. So I ended up getting TL. I'm glad I'm sampling now. hhahahaha

Tobacco Vanille
    is my favorite scent, and on my skin it develops the best when worn in the cold/freezing weather.

The opening is great, incredibly seductive sweet tobacco, but the relentless synthetic vanilla that follows could use a bit of work. I noticed that LT mentioned 'parfum d'ambience' in his review which chimes pretty well with the 'vanilla candle' idea. It's not unpleasant but to me it's not something I could actually wear.

i really dont get the "linear" aspect of TV...i find i quite versatile at each level.. but then i like scents like black orchid, arabie... i guess what that means is i like sticky dates/prunes/dry fruits kinda vibe in scents ...and my love for Le Labo Vanille 44 says a lot about my penchant for vanille based scent.. over a period of time, i have come to appreciate TV more than Vanille 44 as it seems much for full bodied with much more development; dates/fruits -> tobacco -> hay/vanilla/amber

the smell has undoubted quality, but I always thought, for its density, which is more of a smell of environment that wearable as perfume.Maybe that is why some of you remember the smell of vanilla candle, for their ability to fill rooms and "leave" the person
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I find with TV that one spray can even be too much if sprayed too high up on the chest, I never spray it on the neck, I tried that once and nearly suffocated myself and everyone around me, It's like trying to tame a wild animal, I find one spray low down on the cooler part of the chest is about perfect.

Blog Entries

One to the chest, wrist - press together and dab wrists to neck before it dries off. I've gotten a good number of compliments from it and it has always come off more spiced vanilla tobacco than it has candle vanilla. In fact, I actually only smell like "vanilla baked goods" for an hour or so in the drydown, then that goes into a divine tobacco, semi-cocoaed vanilla that lasts basically till the end of time.

My 30mL decant is going to last me at least 4 years of college, but now that I've taken the Sale-Hammer to my collection, I'll probably be able to wear it more!

I do hope you views change in the future Tobacco Vanille is fall winter state in my wardrobe and I will never be without a 3.4 bottle on hand .

Had a similar situation with Chergui. I fell in love at first application then after a while started picking up the baby wipe smell once I became conscious of it. I put the decant a way for 2 months and then broke it out during the summer again. I fell in love again, try putting TV a way for a while and I hope you recapture your first love. Just remember, you broke up for a reason!

Where I live, you can't really sample this stuff, and I haven't done a Perfumed Court order for a while... my Mom and Sis went out to NYC, so I asked them to bring me back a sample of TV if they could.

When they got home with it, the both said it smells good - "like a Christmas type of smell."

I was really confused upon hearing this. I'm somewhat new to fragrances, and my only tobacco/vanilla-leaning cologne is Pure Havane. With what I'd read about TV, I was expecting something different than Pure Havane, but something similar in a sense. Something dominated by tobacco, and vanilla right?

Maybe it's my inexperience - but to me, I had to agree with Mom and Sis, this kind of reminds me of a Vanilla Spice candle or something Christmas oriented. I'm not saying there's really anything wrong with that - but Pure Havane gives me a far more obvious tobacco note, and the AMen base takes care of the rest of that vanilla-style smell. With TV, I could detect the tobacco and the vanilla, but it wasn't my first reaction by any means. I smell a Vanilla Spice Candle, which was a bit of a letdown based on the reviews.

This isn't a bad review of TV, it's a good cologne, I'm just a little confused by it.

I always have loved and always will love Tobacco Vanille. I'm on my second full bottle!

It is at is best in crisp/cold weather. However, I've discovered one spray of TV works beautifully for me on hotter days...the trick (for me, at least) is to let it dry in cold A/C (usually takes a little over an hour before my shirt even goes on).

It's the closest thing to this idea of a signature scent/holy grail as it gets for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Where I live, you can't really sample this stuff, and I haven't done a Perfumed Court order for a while... my Mom and Sis went out to NYC, so I asked them to bring me back a sample of TV if they could.

When they got home with it, the both said it smells good - "like a Christmas type of smell."

I was really confused upon hearing this. I'm somewhat new to fragrances, and my only tobacco/vanilla-leaning cologne is Pure Havane. With what I'd read about TV, I was expecting something different than Pure Havane, but something similar in a sense. Something dominated by tobacco, and vanilla right?

Maybe it's my inexperience - but to me, I had to agree with Mom and Sis, this kind of reminds me of a Vanilla Spice candle or something Christmas oriented. I'm not saying there's really anything wrong with that - but Pure Havane gives me a far more obvious tobacco note, and the AMen base takes care of the rest of that vanilla-style smell. With TV, I could detect the tobacco and the vanilla, but it wasn't my first reaction by any means. I smell a Vanilla Spice Candle, which was a bit of a letdown based on the reviews.

This isn't a bad review of TV, it's a good cologne, I'm just a little confused by it.
    That was the way I perceived such frags as a "newbie." Once you are able to detect notes better you may prefer TV. Like you, but also unlike you, I enjoyed sampling PH, but the tobacco note didn't last nearly as long as I thought it should. TV, by contrast, has a tobacco note that lasts at least 10 hours on me (with one spray) so it "wins" hands down (since I'm in it for the tobacco, not the vanilla, which I can get in a huge number of frags). I suggest you keep the TV sample and try a small amount every 3 or 4 months; see if your perception changes.

Yeah for sure, that's the plan. I have a couple other samples lying around for that reason already. Musc Ravageur is one, for example, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate yet. Either that or I will just always prefer the simplicity of the more mainstream Creeds and such... who knows? Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!

Hey gupts do you have an update on this situation, and please tell us where did you store your TV the time that your opinion on it changed?

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Yeah for sure, that's the plan. I have a couple other samples lying around for that reason already. Musc Ravageur is one, for example, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate yet. Either that or I will just always prefer the simplicity of the more mainstream Creeds and such... who knows? Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!
    IMO... the fact that you don't like MR or TV means you have above average taste

I still don't think Tobacco Vanille can hold a candle to Versace's Dreamer. I know, they are different types of scents, but if I had to choose it would be a no brainer...Dreamer! TV smells like an amateur got a hold of some essential oils and was playing around; Cheurgui smells like the amateur's kid got a hold of the concoction spilled it in a box of baby wipes and tried to cleanup so dad didn't know what happened.

Some niche are great but it seems like others just get love because of the exclusivity. I mean if Nautica came out with TV everyone would say it is a linear mess, but if Tom Ford does then they must be the ones that are crazy. Don't get me wrong, I will wear TV this winter, but only around the house or to get groceries.

For me it's love... I'm not heavy on the trigger with any fragrance anyway, especially gourmands due to potency. 4 sprays max to chest and stomach, under clothing, will see me through the day and wraps me in a warm and cozy waft of goodness!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
    I still don't think Tobacco Vanille can hold a candle to Versace's Dreamer. I know, they are different types of scents, but if I had to choose it would be a no brainer...Dreamer! TV smells like an amateur got a hold of some essential oils and was playing around; Cheurgui smells like the amateur's kid got a hold of the concoction spilled it in a box of baby wipes and tried to cleanup so dad didn't know what happened.

Some niche are great but it seems like others just get love because of the exclusivity. I mean if Nautica came out with TV everyone would say it is a linear mess, but if Tom Ford does then they must be the ones that are crazy. Don't get me wrong, I will wear TV this winter, but only around the house or to get groceries.
    I can't stand The Dreamer... bash TV if you like. Don't know what's the thing about The Dreamer some folks have in this forum.

Anyway, i understand you don't like TV, but bashing Chergui and making a comparision with the Dreamer is too much XD. C'mon, it's the dreamer, if you were talking about Bogart pour Homme, Havana or something... but the dreamer? No way to explain that horrid smell

I hope this doesn't happen to me... I'm trying to decide what my next Private Blend purchase will be...this or Tuscan Leather..

It`s a great scent, but I already own Hermès Ambre Narguile that gives the same "aura". I simply can`t pick a favorite among them..