Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: The rise and fall of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

If it is good and linear I do not care. Tv and Tl are my favs so far From Tom Ford and I want a bottle of both of them. I like the tobacco and vanilla mixture that to me is just sexy and a fav of mine already. I also like high caliber frags, considering most of my favs are Creed as well. At the same time one needs a break from some smells, REL was a fav of mine and i love it but right now i have to take a rest from it. The sweet clean leather accord is wearing my nose thin. I will come back to it.

I enjoy TV but wouldn't wear it very often, perhaps once every two weeks. Sensitivity can change, so when that happens to me I just put the frag aside for a while, sometimes for more than 3 months, then come back to it when I get an "itch" to try it again. It's worked well so far, except for frags that I just don't like, such as Kouros.

Kouros is one you have to wear sparingly that stuff can get nasty. Every now and then it is ok. Too often and you can get sick.

The only comment I ever got while wearing this scent was, "you smell like a candle" Guess your not the only one to make that association.

Love it in the correct weather.

I use it mainly for going out or clubbing in cold fall/winter nights. Works wonders then.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I didn't like it when I first tried it.
    Same here. Still feel this way.

When I was on the hunt for my first Private Blend, I was choosing between TV, NdN and Tuscan Leather. Projection and longevity are great on TV but the overall smell, I was not really impressed. So I ended up getting TL. I'm glad I'm sampling now. hhahahaha

Tobacco Vanille
    is my favorite scent, and on my skin it develops the best when worn in the cold/freezing weather.

The opening is great, incredibly seductive sweet tobacco, but the relentless synthetic vanilla that follows could use a bit of work. I noticed that LT mentioned 'parfum d'ambience' in his review which chimes pretty well with the 'vanilla candle' idea. It's not unpleasant but to me it's not something I could actually wear.

i really dont get the "linear" aspect of TV...i find i quite versatile at each level.. but then i like scents like black orchid, arabie... i guess what that means is i like sticky dates/prunes/dry fruits kinda vibe in scents ...and my love for Le Labo Vanille 44 says a lot about my penchant for vanille based scent.. over a period of time, i have come to appreciate TV more than Vanille 44 as it seems much for full bodied with much more development; dates/fruits -> tobacco -> hay/vanilla/amber

the smell has undoubted quality, but I always thought, for its density, which is more of a smell of environment that wearable as perfume.Maybe that is why some of you remember the smell of vanilla candle, for their ability to fill rooms and "leave" the person
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I find with TV that one spray can even be too much if sprayed too high up on the chest, I never spray it on the neck, I tried that once and nearly suffocated myself and everyone around me, It's like trying to tame a wild animal, I find one spray low down on the cooler part of the chest is about perfect.

Blog Entries

One to the chest, wrist - press together and dab wrists to neck before it dries off. I've gotten a good number of compliments from it and it has always come off more spiced vanilla tobacco than it has candle vanilla. In fact, I actually only smell like "vanilla baked goods" for an hour or so in the drydown, then that goes into a divine tobacco, semi-cocoaed vanilla that lasts basically till the end of time.

My 30mL decant is going to last me at least 4 years of college, but now that I've taken the Sale-Hammer to my collection, I'll probably be able to wear it more!

I do hope you views change in the future Tobacco Vanille is fall winter state in my wardrobe and I will never be without a 3.4 bottle on hand .

Had a similar situation with Chergui. I fell in love at first application then after a while started picking up the baby wipe smell once I became conscious of it. I put the decant a way for 2 months and then broke it out during the summer again. I fell in love again, try putting TV a way for a while and I hope you recapture your first love. Just remember, you broke up for a reason!

Where I live, you can't really sample this stuff, and I haven't done a Perfumed Court order for a while... my Mom and Sis went out to NYC, so I asked them to bring me back a sample of TV if they could.

When they got home with it, the both said it smells good - "like a Christmas type of smell."

I was really confused upon hearing this. I'm somewhat new to fragrances, and my only tobacco/vanilla-leaning cologne is Pure Havane. With what I'd read about TV, I was expecting something different than Pure Havane, but something similar in a sense. Something dominated by tobacco, and vanilla right?

Maybe it's my inexperience - but to me, I had to agree with Mom and Sis, this kind of reminds me of a Vanilla Spice candle or something Christmas oriented. I'm not saying there's really anything wrong with that - but Pure Havane gives me a far more obvious tobacco note, and the AMen base takes care of the rest of that vanilla-style smell. With TV, I could detect the tobacco and the vanilla, but it wasn't my first reaction by any means. I smell a Vanilla Spice Candle, which was a bit of a letdown based on the reviews.

This isn't a bad review of TV, it's a good cologne, I'm just a little confused by it.

I always have loved and always will love Tobacco Vanille. I'm on my second full bottle!

It is at is best in crisp/cold weather. However, I've discovered one spray of TV works beautifully for me on hotter days...the trick (for me, at least) is to let it dry in cold A/C (usually takes a little over an hour before my shirt even goes on).

It's the closest thing to this idea of a signature scent/holy grail as it gets for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Where I live, you can't really sample this stuff, and I haven't done a Perfumed Court order for a while... my Mom and Sis went out to NYC, so I asked them to bring me back a sample of TV if they could.

When they got home with it, the both said it smells good - "like a Christmas type of smell."

I was really confused upon hearing this. I'm somewhat new to fragrances, and my only tobacco/vanilla-leaning cologne is Pure Havane. With what I'd read about TV, I was expecting something different than Pure Havane, but something similar in a sense. Something dominated by tobacco, and vanilla right?

Maybe it's my inexperience - but to me, I had to agree with Mom and Sis, this kind of reminds me of a Vanilla Spice candle or something Christmas oriented. I'm not saying there's really anything wrong with that - but Pure Havane gives me a far more obvious tobacco note, and the AMen base takes care of the rest of that vanilla-style smell. With TV, I could detect the tobacco and the vanilla, but it wasn't my first reaction by any means. I smell a Vanilla Spice Candle, which was a bit of a letdown based on the reviews.

This isn't a bad review of TV, it's a good cologne, I'm just a little confused by it.
    That was the way I perceived such frags as a "newbie." Once you are able to detect notes better you may prefer TV. Like you, but also unlike you, I enjoyed sampling PH, but the tobacco note didn't last nearly as long as I thought it should. TV, by contrast, has a tobacco note that lasts at least 10 hours on me (with one spray) so it "wins" hands down (since I'm in it for the tobacco, not the vanilla, which I can get in a huge number of frags). I suggest you keep the TV sample and try a small amount every 3 or 4 months; see if your perception changes.

Yeah for sure, that's the plan. I have a couple other samples lying around for that reason already. Musc Ravageur is one, for example, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate yet. Either that or I will just always prefer the simplicity of the more mainstream Creeds and such... who knows? Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!

Hey gupts do you have an update on this situation, and please tell us where did you store your TV the time that your opinion on it changed?

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Yeah for sure, that's the plan. I have a couple other samples lying around for that reason already. Musc Ravageur is one, for example, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate yet. Either that or I will just always prefer the simplicity of the more mainstream Creeds and such... who knows? Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!
    IMO... the fact that you don't like MR or TV means you have above average taste

I still don't think Tobacco Vanille can hold a candle to Versace's Dreamer. I know, they are different types of scents, but if I had to choose it would be a no brainer...Dreamer! TV smells like an amateur got a hold of some essential oils and was playing around; Cheurgui smells like the amateur's kid got a hold of the concoction spilled it in a box of baby wipes and tried to cleanup so dad didn't know what happened.

Some niche are great but it seems like others just get love because of the exclusivity. I mean if Nautica came out with TV everyone would say it is a linear mess, but if Tom Ford does then they must be the ones that are crazy. Don't get me wrong, I will wear TV this winter, but only around the house or to get groceries.

For me it's love... I'm not heavy on the trigger with any fragrance anyway, especially gourmands due to potency. 4 sprays max to chest and stomach, under clothing, will see me through the day and wraps me in a warm and cozy waft of goodness!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
    I still don't think Tobacco Vanille can hold a candle to Versace's Dreamer. I know, they are different types of scents, but if I had to choose it would be a no brainer...Dreamer! TV smells like an amateur got a hold of some essential oils and was playing around; Cheurgui smells like the amateur's kid got a hold of the concoction spilled it in a box of baby wipes and tried to cleanup so dad didn't know what happened.

Some niche are great but it seems like others just get love because of the exclusivity. I mean if Nautica came out with TV everyone would say it is a linear mess, but if Tom Ford does then they must be the ones that are crazy. Don't get me wrong, I will wear TV this winter, but only around the house or to get groceries.
    I can't stand The Dreamer... bash TV if you like. Don't know what's the thing about The Dreamer some folks have in this forum.

Anyway, i understand you don't like TV, but bashing Chergui and making a comparision with the Dreamer is too much XD. C'mon, it's the dreamer, if you were talking about Bogart pour Homme, Havana or something... but the dreamer? No way to explain that horrid smell

I hope this doesn't happen to me... I'm trying to decide what my next Private Blend purchase will be...this or Tuscan Leather..
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

It`s a great scent, but I already own Hermès Ambre Narguile that gives the same "aura". I simply can`t pick a favorite among them..

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    One evening when I first tested TV from a tiny vial that I had bought, I got so captivated that I couldn't sleep that night because I wanted to buy the bottle immediately. I promptly managed to buy a sizeable quantity (around 90ml) from a seller on ebay who decanted it from his 250ml flacon.

I think it's well been over a year, maybe a year and a half since I've had this. During this time I've always loved it and have never missed an opportunity to mention it on the board how great it is. I did read about some people thinking that it smells like a cheap vanilla candle and I used to think, what are these people saying...are they kidding me?

Today I am wearing TV and I kid you not, but I think they are so right. TV is reminding me of nothing else but a $5 vanilla candle that sell at cheap stores. Honestly the vanilla is so reminiscent of the candle vanilla that it's just shocking how did I manage to enjoy this for so long without making this cheap association.

Well now I can't shake it. TV is a very linear scent. It is quite potent. It is sickeningly sweet.
    I used to talk about some fine tobacco mixed with vanilla that made TV weave its magic but my dream is over now.

I wore this today after months as I had a similar feel from it the last time I wore it but today I've just nailed it into a coffin. I had a housemate who used to wear it and it would smell so ridiculously good on him but everytime I would wear it, I'd feel sick and no I was not overapplying. You cannot overapply this. You'd die of asphyxiation because all you will then smell is cloying and sweet vanilla that will take over the air around you.

I am still hoping someday my mind will change again. TV will not be sold and will be nurtured until I can tame it again.
    Bumping the thread to say I have had the same experience but I did come around to it again, after a break. Now it's in frequent rotation as a winter/early spring scent. One vanilla scent I fell completely out of love with, probably for good, was Spiritueuse Double Vanille. It was all I ever looked for in a vanilla fragrance, until I started noticing an oily/briny note in it, and could not un-smell it.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Bumping the thread to say I have had the same experience but I did come around to it again, after a break. Now it's in frequent rotation as a winter/early spring scent. One vanilla scent I fell completely out of love with, probably for good, was Spiritueuse Double Vanille. It was all I ever looked for in a vanilla fragrance, until I started noticing an oily/briny note in it, and could not un-smell it.

SDV is in my top 3 all time atm. I can't imagine that happening, and hope it never does. It's all I've ever looked for in a vanilla scent, and I've never been able to appreciate another vanilla scent with anything like the love I have for it. I have TV as well, and enjoy it, but it's so overpowering and can be hard to wear.

Maybe the fragrance just turned? Is it old?

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I've had this experience too with some fragrances - though not to the extent as felt by some. It seems that it is difficult to fall out of love with lighter easy to wear fragrances that one enjoys. Tobacco Vanille, Spirituese Double Vanille - these are heady, exciting scents. But perhaps excitement is exciting only in moderation. We do not perhaps eat steak or chocolate mousse everyday and neither perhaps we go to the clubs or parties everyday. I feel it works similarly with fragrances. I can surely wear Grey Vetiver or Original Vetiver for a month continuously. Interlude Man or Pure Havane? Not so sure.
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I've had this experience too with some fragrances - though not to the extent as felt by some. It seems that it is difficult to fall out of love with lighter easy to wear fragrances that one enjoys. Tobacco Vanille, Spirituese Double Vanille - these are heady, exciting scents. But perhaps excitement is exciting only in moderation. We do not perhaps eat steak or chocolate mousse everyday and neither perhaps we go to the clubs or parties everyday. I feel it works similarly with fragrances. I can surely wear Grey Vetiver or Original Vetiver for a month continuously. Interlude Man or Pure Havane? Not so sure.
    I was nodding along reading your post, until I remembered Mugler Cologne. A light and fresh fragrance I've liked and worn for years until about a month ago, when the soapy freshness turned into a slight bug spray accord that stuck in my throat. Has the bottle gone off, or am I picking up a different facet of the scent than I used to? I have put it in the back of the closet, waiting to forget the last few wearings. I'll try it again in the autumn and see of the former glory will be restored.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker