Code of Conduct

Default Live Jazz, bought blind..

Not at all what I was expecting. Another blind buy that I'm not really happy with. Fortunately it was 16 bucks which isn't horrible but puts me down to one less blind buy that I could have liked.

It took me a little to get the mint opening, it's a very non intense subtle mint, reminds me of a sugar-free mint gum. The projection appear to be below average thus far with 4 sprays. The quality does seem high though, I must say. This is my first YSL frag I've owned. I always thought that house was just overhyped, since I've smelled Opium and Kouros and thought little of each of them. Anyways, after LJ cooks a little on my skin it becomes kind of like a floral/powdery/lime mix which smells very familiar to me and very synthetic. The final dry down I get some vanilla and it reminds me a little of Vera Wang for men, with that floral and vanilla mixture.

All together, this definitely isn't worth all the hype. Maybe if you are brand new to fragrances and haven't really smelled much, this could be a different take on a summer fragrance, but when you've smelled about 1000 colognes and EDT's Live Jazz is nothing extraordinary.

Default Re: Live Jazz, bought blind..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Maybe if you are brand new to fragrances and haven't really smelled much, this could be a different take on a summer fragrance, but when you've smelled about 1000 colognes and EDT's Live Jazz is nothing extraordinary.
    Personally, I think it's the total opposite.
    Sales thread here

I didn't like Live Jazz either... thankfully I didn't buy it blind and got a tester

A superb fragrance. The paragon of the citrus fougere genre. If it cost $200 at Luckyscent it would be backordered.

Sur la Plage

I think it is f'ing fantastic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My current favourite hot weather fragrance together with VIW. I think it really shines in mild Spring weather though, I wore it today when it was pretty hot (high 20s degrees Celsius and pretty humid) and rather than the wonderful refreshing mint+citrus aura I usually get, it dissipated pretty fast because it was just too humid.

Great price! You'll get to like it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    A superb fragrance. The paragon of the citrus fougere genre. If it cost $200 at Luckyscent it would be backordered.
    +1000
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Blog Entries

I'm on the fence with this one. I got it in a decant trade with a fellow BNer, and I'm glad I did. I probably wouldn't have been happy if I had purchased it either. Though as a decant I can wear it and maybe it will grow on me as mentioned. I really don't like the opening. The dry down is pretty nice though.

Great Summertime scent that I could not do without.

There's something about Live Jazz that makes it superior to most of fresh fragrances, despite the fact the top notes are mediocre and unpromising. Maybe you will find the magic in it.

I think it's f-in fantastic as well.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

What he said!

I bought it recently after having smelled it last year. It reminds me of lemon ironing spray, which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a decent enough scent, but would not make my top 25. I would give it maybe 5.5 out of 10. On me it lasts 3 or so hours. At the moment it is winter here in Australia and I will definitely be giving this one a real go in summer.
    Jim

I totally agree! A superb summer fragrance.
    Longevity on me = +/- 12 hours...

It is a great, cheap in price and classy Summer fragrance.

--- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Great price! You'll get to like it in time.
    I'm hoping this is the case for me. At the moment, I'm in agreement with the original poster. (About Live Jazz, not about YSL in general.)
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 5th June 2010 at 03:09 PM.

your loss really because personally i think this is one of the most unique fragrances out there. Not only does it smell refreshing...it also has a refreshing and cooling effect on me. Great for warm summer evenings.
    Knize Ten !

love me some Live Jazz, give it another try in a week or so..
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I got this on a blind buy too. I did not care for it and tried to give it away to various people I know and no one would take it. I ended up trading it here on BN with someone who hopefully appreciated it more than me.

I don't particularly rate it. I think it may be a case of 'not getting it', I may come back to it at a later stage.

To bump this thread, after spending much more time wearing Live Jazz..

I bought Live Jazz about 2 weeks ago. At first I didn't really care for it, now I find it very soothing. It's still just about average to me. I get like a lemon/minty opening. From it that transforms into a softer more floral and slightly soapy mixture, and disappears within 3 hours. Projection is good in the first 10 maybe even 20 minutes, but after that it stays very close to my skin.

It reminds me very much of Samba Kiss Me, only Kiss Me has a more powerful opening and is more of a gourmand and lasts longer. As much as people seem to love Live Jazz, I'm still dead center on just average. It may be less common in smell, but it doesn't project enough and last very long. I have been reaching for it as of late in this 95+ degree weather, but even with the heat warming up the skin, I'm still not getting much out of it. Does anybody else feel this way?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 18th June 2010 at 11:33 AM.

^^

Actually I gotta agree. As much as I love Live Jazz, I find it's much more suited to mild days like spring or early summer. Last time I wore it in sweltering heat (around 30.C/90.F) it just didn't stand up to the heat.

It took me awhile to warm up to this fragrance, but when worn on the first 90 degree day it won me over. The heat seems to bring out the best of this fragrance. It's a keeper.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I agree, the heat really brings up the magic in this one, combined with sweat this becomes a fresh animalic scent.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.