Code of Conduct

Default Defective Creed Bottle?

I purchased a bottle of Creed Silver Mountain Water from fragrancex. After a recent trip, the contents of my bag reaked of the cologne. I couldn't determine where exactly the leak was coming from, but eventually found a pin-sized hole on the top edge of the bottle. I pushed my fingernail in that location, and the bottle cracked under the pressure. The first picture below shows the area after it cracked. The second picture shows the edge of the bottle with the material removed in that location showing how thin the area is. The pieces that flaked off looked like eggshells.

Since I doubt anyone is willing to cut their bottle in half to see how thin the wall is, I just want to ask...has anyone seen an issue similar to this? I did a search, but didn't find anything. I tried to seal up the hole, but only made it worse as additional material keeps breaking away. It's disappointing considering the price I paid.

I appreciate any input you could provide.

Default Re: Defective Creed Bottle?

It looks to me like you got a fake, sorry mate. The bottle and the lid just don't look right to me.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

def a fake.

I cannot make a judgement on the authenticity with these pictures.
    You need to click some more pictures, particularly of the cap and the nozzle to be able to safely conclude if this is a fake or not.

I certainly don't think FragranceX sell fakes.

Well if it isn't a fake it's at the very least an EXTREMELY defective bottle. That hole and its implications... how did it pass QC, for one? It looks like the only thing holding the juice in is a layer of paint. That can't be right.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I appreciate the replies thus far. I do have samples of Creed colognes from The Perfumed Court, and it does smell legit. Here are some additional pics. There's not much natural light at the moment, so the quality might not be all that great:

Cap

Inside of Cap

Nozzle

Nozzle Removed

Bottom of Bottle

Front of Box

Back of Box

Bottom of Box

Inserts
    Last edited by Kutta; 5th June 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

If that is a fake Creed, it's a damn good one!

@ Kutta

That to me does look like a legit bottle. Nonetheless it quite baffles me as to why it has chipped away & leaked.
    I see a lot of scratches on the cap, both on the outside and on the ring underside. Just wondering how those scratches appeared?
    Were they there when you bought the bottle?

The bottle looks like it may have possibly dropped on the ground and the glass may have cracked with its integrity compromised, and the contents only held together with the white paint coat on the top. Eventually it had to give way too perhaps because there was no solid base underneath as the glass cracked and as a result the perfume constantly came in contact with the paint, weakening it in due course.

I can't fathom how else that little chip appeared unless it is a manufacturing defect.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I can't fathom how else that little chip appeared unless it is a manufacturing defect.
    My dear Gupts ... Kutta had it loose in his bag, that could have caused the hole?!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 5th June 2010 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    My dear Gupts ... Kutta had it loose in his bag, that could have caused the hole?!
    Your Royal Highness, please pardon my oversight.

The bottle isn't really dinged up. I tried to seal up the hole with tape, which wouldn't hold. As a last resort, I tried to spread some epoxy in that area but simply made a mess. I think that's what you're seeing on the cap. Here's a cleaned up version of the cap...the camera really does exagerate the few imperfections it has:

As far as being loose in my bag, it was actually in a travel toiletries bag, stacked with my deodorant, mouthwash, etc. The only thing I can think of is that I had two bottles of Creed colognes, which when stacked, the 2nd might hit that area to initially open the hole. It's just bizarre that the wall is so thin right there. I was travelling by car, so my bag was simply sitting in the trunk, not getting jostled around like it would in air travel.

Dependent

I was thinking similarly to the 2 gentlemen above: Could the crack have been sustained during the trip? Had the bottle already have a crack when you received it from FragranceX, there is a slight possibility that the box and bottle may have reeked of the contents already when it first arrived in your hands. Though, I stronly feel that if you are sure enough that the crack was due to poor handling/shipping/quality etc factors that are out of your hands/control, you have every right to present these pictures to the retailer and explain your situation.

It is very unfortunate, sorry to hear about this.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th June 2010 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Your Royal Highness, please pardon my oversight.
    Since you addrested me so nicely, I'll let it slip this time ...

Kutta, you need to decant the juice over in a large bottle of somesort ASAP,
    otherwise the oxygen will eat it up and/or it'll evapurate, but I'm sure you
    know that allready?!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 5th June 2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I was thinking similarly to the 2 gentlemen above: Could the crack have been sustained during the trip? Had the bottle already have a crack when you received it from FragranceX, there is a slight possibility that the box and bottle may have reeked of the contents already when it first arrived in your hands. Though, I stronly feel that if you are sure enough that the crack was due to poor handling/shipping/quality etc factors that are out of your hands/control, you have every right to present these pictures to the retailer and explain your situation.

It is very unfortunate, sorry to hear about this.
    The bottle was perfectly fine when I received it. It was purchased several months back...fragrancex simply directed me to their 30 day return policy when I inquired. So, I'm shit outta luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Kutta, you need to decant the juice over in a large bottle of somesort ASAP,
    otherwise the oxygen will eat it up and/or it'll evapurate, but I'm sure you
    know that allready?!
    Yeah, I was going to resort to this after my failed attempt to MacGyver a solution. Any suggestions on how to do it or a good vendor to buy some supplies? I'm not at all familiar with decanting.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kutta; 5th June 2010 at 08:02 AM.

I wonder if the bottle took a knock and the glass shattered into the bottle. I'm thinking of stone chips you sometimes see in windscreens - tiny little hole on the impact side, but much larger on the interior. The paint layer could have held it together on the outside for a bit. If you decant it, maybe do it through a strainer or some fine muslin/gauze and see how much glass you get.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutta View Post
    Yeah, I was going to resort to this after my failed attempt to MacGyver a solution. Any suggestions on how to do it or a good vendor to buy some supplies? I'm not at all familiar with decanting.

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know where to get new spritzers, but even an empty Strawberry Jam glass with a lid
    is better than that bottle now.
    Air is poison ... and not the delicious Dior kind!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kutta View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Hey Kutta, check Accesories For Fragrance out. Reliable vendor! For decant bottles that have a large enough opening, just spray directly into them. You can purchase funnels for the job if the openings are too small for you to comfortably spray into. My preference: Glass bottles. not plastic.