Code of Conduct

Default New clique.. what would they wear?

I was pondering the idea of designer fragrances, both for men and women, and was trying to think of who wears them. I knew they were suitable for most "cliques" of my age group; the prep, the gangster, the jock/sports type, and maybe the gothic type if they decide not to wear bat's blood. BUT what about the new fangled Indie/Artsy type who adorn themselves in old style clothes and seem to love throwback fashion and trends? They revel in their style and are known to be very mindful of their music and clothing.. so what would happen if they were exposed to fragrances? I couldn't imagine someone like:

wearing a celebrity scent from Britney Spears or a guy like :

wearing Burberry The Beat. Now if you're not familiar with this whole trend they have their own genre of music, not just Indie Rock, but have had an effect on inordinate amount of other genres (Yelle, The Young Punx, The Bloody Beetroots, etc.) and are known to have a modest amount of distaste for mainstream anything. I think if they were exposed to an underground world of anything, like fragrance for example , they'd be all over it. Any possible outlet of creativity is utilized and has to be as far out of mainstream as possible.

Now for my question.. what kind of fragrances would you suggest to such a crowd? It's a very bizarre juxtaposition.. even my web design teacher who had an immense amount of experience in most all technology fields looked like a farmer from Lancaster. They wear secondhand clothes and have a fashion sense that looks like it could be anywhere from the 60s to 80s, take retro photography and enjoy pretty much any form of art, all the while still being on the forefront of technology and trends.
    Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Default Re: New clique.. what would they wear?

I for one have no doubt that there's any correlation between a particular fragrance and a specific set " crowd " as you put it. There's just too much individuality in choosing scents.

A farmer from Idaho could love Amouage as much as an artist from Sojo could hate it.

It's a pretty anti-designer, do it yourself aesthetic. Something they'd swiped from grandma/grandpa, small indie perfumers or something they'd rustled up themselves, either by mixing essential oils or layering street vendor musks and arabian attars. A percentage will develop a full blown perfume habit and spend their spare time hunting for vintage Guerlain and pre-reformulation oakmoss monsters. You know, normal
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

That girl can wear anything she wants. The guy, I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    It's a pretty anti-designer, do it yourself aesthetic. Something they'd swiped from grandma/grandpa, small indie perfumers or something they'd rustled up themselves, either by mixing essential oils or layering street vendor musks and arabian attars. A percentage will develop a full blown perfume habit and spend their spare time hunting for vintage Guerlain and pre-reformulation oakmoss monsters. You know, normal
    Hmm. Sounds like somebody I know...more accurately, sounds like where I came from. College towns always seem to have more of these "types" - those who aren't followers of any particular fashion. There always seem to be fashion nods to former "independent" types like for instance the... Bloomsbury mob... Beat generation... "Bohemian"... etcetera... so it would be tricky to "nail down" a designer frag line, as far as I'm concerned.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Some are naturally bohemian arty types and I would imagine those to be the kind that would wear something niche or homemade and those that are faux arty contrived aesthetic snobs and live their lives on the internet for eprops who probably wouldnt give a damn unless someone somewhere happened to mention an obscure brand that was difficult to trace

I've encountered more of these types than I can count. I actually love these types of peeps. I hate stereotyping and lumping people into "cliques" or groups, but I must admit I know the type of people you're referring to. My fragrance "obsession" didn't start until fairly recently so it wasn't in effect when I was around these types of groups a lot. If I had to guess a general, stereotypical type of fragrance that this type of person would most likely enjoy, it would be fairly minimalist - perhaps even their own blend of diluted essential oils. That's just a guess, though.

I suppose I should add that a very good friend who happens to be a successful muscian wears annick goutal and makes her own blends too , she kinda boho chic but would hate me for saying so !