Code of Conduct

Default YSL Paris - thoughts?

I found a vintage, sealed bottle of YSL's Paris on eBay for $30 and, waffling between it and a bottle of Opium, which I've "needed" in my wardrobe ever since I discovered my love of orientals, I picked the Paris. Vintage and sealed for a great price, I couldn't pass it up, even though it was a blind buy. Here's the thing, though: I'm a guy, and floral fragrances aren't really "me". Paris is supposed to be a Godzilla floral and extremely feminine in character, but having recently branched out into wearing whatever appeals to my nose, masculine or feminine, I'm really digging the notion that the right guy can pull off just about any fragrance. (I was also somewhat spurred on by the girls at Perfume Posse, who go gaga for guys wearing uber-florals like Fracas.) Also, I will admit that a well-done floral perfume can be just about the most pleasurable scent on earth.

So, two queries: Could Paris be conceivably worn by a male in his mid-twenties, and, more importantly, what are your thoughts on Paris in general? How does the '80s version compare to the current iteration, how does it stack up against other florals and other feminine offerings in the YSL lineup, does it live up to the critical praise, etc.? I'd love your thoughts and impressions of it.

[EDIT: Whoops, posted this in the wrong forum. Can a mod move this to Female Frag Discussion?]
    Last edited by subhuman85; 5th June 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: YSL Paris - thoughts?

Have you tried it on yet? If so, what are your own impressions of it on your skin?

I can't compare my bottle (EdT, from the early 2000s) with earlier or later versions, but speaking of the scent as I know it, yes it is a big fragrance of roses + powdery violets, very long lasting and with huge sillage. It is highly recognizable as well. I find I have to dab rather than spray or the powderiness gets to be overwhelming. The EdT is less sweet than the EdP.

Can a man wear it? Hmmm....I have never smelled this on a man. Theoretically anyone, man or woman, can wear any perfume. Why not just wear it at home first, and see how you feel about it before going out in public with it?

I wore this back in the early 1980s when it was launched. It is very, very floral: roses, violets and I think lily, so be warned.

If you feel comfortable with this, more power to you. My credo is wear perfume you like when and where you think appropriate; I do not subscribe to "men's and women's" scent marketing labels.

BTW, my favourite perfume poster-boy, my avatar, wore eau de jasmin...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

subhuman85; Congratulations on overcoming the industry labeling of fragrances in terms of gender. The adage " if you like it, wear it" applies. I hope when you test this new acquisition of yours that you will update this thread with your thoughts. I would second the idea of wearing at home perhaps on a day off so that you will be unfettered by perceived possible opinions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I found a vintage, sealed bottle of YSL's Paris on eBay for $30 and, waffling between it and a bottle of Opium, which I've "needed" in my wardrobe ever since I discovered my love of orientals, I picked the Paris. Vintage and sealed for a great price, I couldn't pass it up, even though it was a blind buy. Here's the thing, though: I'm a guy, and floral fragrances aren't really "me". Paris is supposed to be a Godzilla floral and extremely feminine in character, but having recently branched out into wearing whatever appeals to my nose, masculine or feminine, I'm really digging the notion that the right guy can pull off just about any fragrance. (I was also somewhat spurred on by the girls at Perfume Posse, who go gaga for guys wearing uber-florals like Fracas.) Also, I will admit that a well-done floral perfume can be just about the most pleasurable scent on earth.

So, two queries: Could Paris be conceivably worn by a male in his mid-twenties, and, more importantly, what are your thoughts on Paris in general? How does the '80s version compare to the current iteration, how does it stack up against other florals and other feminine offerings in the YSL lineup, does it live up to the critical praise, etc.? I'd love your thoughts and impressions of it.

[EDIT: Whoops, posted this in the wrong forum. Can a mod move this to Female Frag Discussion?]

I have a bottle of vintage Paris also. For me it is too "feminine" and I would never wear it, however it is a very very good bright floral frag and, if that's your thing, then it will suit. If you prefer darker florals (like C&S 88 for example), then it may not be for you.

I'd say that you should try it in a safe situation, like when spending an evening by yourself at home. If you think it's too "feminine" for work or whatever, wear it for sleeping, solo pursuits and so on. That's what I do with my "monster" perfumes, like the extremely skanky ones. "Paris" is very much an in-your-face 80's scent. I have a bottle of the vintage EDT. I wear it when at home, mostly because I don't want to clear elevators or be trailing 20 feet of sillage (and I'm female, incidentally).
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I would have thought Paris to be ultra feminine with the rose violet notes (I have my 2nd bottle)------but I believe I recall reading of a male character in The Black Stallion book that wore attar of roses .If it smells good and the situation is appropriate (i.e.powerhouse fragrance in enclosed spaces enforced seating) ---then wear it !!!!
    P.s. if you hate it I'll buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    I would have thought Paris to be ultra feminine with the rose violet notes (I have my 2nd bottle)------but I believe I recall reading of a male character in The Black Stallion book that wore attar of roses .If it smells good and the situation is appropriate (i.e.powerhouse fragrance in enclosed spaces enforced seating) ---then wear it !!!!
    P.s. if you hate it I'll buy it!
    Here, here! I wholly agree, bookwyrmsmith.

The concepts of masculine and feminine scents will wary according to time and place. Gender labels on fragrance is little more than 100 years old. In some countries, men favour rose and ylang-ylang scents. My avatar, a French nobleman, favoured eau de jasmin. (He was very tall and athletic, hardly feminine, plus he was a boxer, and an unparalleled sabre and pistol duellist.) As a matter of fact, he, his wife and mother-in-law were fond of orange flower water.
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th June 2010 at 03:46 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Here, here! I wholly agree, bookwyrmsmith.

The concepts of masculine and feminine scents will wary according to time and place. Gender labels on fragrance is little more than 100 years old. In some countries, men favour rose and ylang-ylang scents. My avatar, a French nobleman, favoured eau de jasmin. (He was very tall and athletic, hardly feminine, plus he was a boxer, and an unparalleled sabre and pistol duellist.) As a matter of fact, he, his wife and mother-in-law were fond of orange flower water.
    So could they all have been wearing #4711?
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 9th June 2010 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely give it a wear at home before testing the public waters, not that smelling like flowers would cause me to be chased out of town by torch-wielding villagers. If guys everywhere can wear Le MÔle, which smells about as masculine as the inside of my grandmother's purse, surely I can get away with a little floral action, as long as it's not too sweet. The feminine frags I do wear (Obsession, Poison, Opium, Tommy Girl, SJP Lovely - no, really) have a lack of sweetness that renders them pretty close to gender-neutral, in my opinion. Not that I have a problem with men wearing girly scents - I'm gay, for starters, and as liberal as they come - but I'm just not the kind of guy who can pull off Pink Sugar or Gaultier Classique. Something would be...off. (Ever seen a German Shepherd decked out in a little Santa hat and matching booties? Same deal.)

You'll never know until you try! I think a man could pull off Paris without a fracas~ pun intended,

Reine

Obsession and Poison not sweet?!! Obsession for Men is, I think, damn close to the original. But what the heck; wear what you like. I think any fragrance worn by a man will, by definition smell "masculine", ditto any fragrance worn by a woman. There seems to be a current trend for "masculines" to smell more floral. If you like it, enjoy wearing it.