Code of Conduct

Default Let's talk FRUITS n VEGES!

Looking at Summer/Spring fragrances here. Particularly with fruity and vegetable notes e.g. orange, cucumber, melons, berries, rhubarb etc. So if you guys are using any frags with these notes do post something here!

Something that's not too overly sweet and heavy, but light and fresh to go with the season.

Would like to hear your favourites!

Default Re: Let's talk FRUITS n VEGES!

Oh there's a million.

I just bought a bottle of Guerlain's Pamplelune for my grapefruit fix
    Of course there are other citruses. I find Hermes Concentree D'Orange Vert a very nice green Orange frag

I know Bond #9 Wall Street has a strong Cucumber opening note
    Boss Bottled/#6 has a strong Apple note
    (might be heavy for summer) Serge Lutens Daim Blond has an Apricot note, I believe
    Dyptique's Philosykos is my go to for Fig notes - excellent for spring and summer IMO
    If I'm not mistaken, Sisley Eau de Campagne has a strong Tomato leaf note as well as fresh cut grass

how's that for a start?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Here's a few:
    Kenneth Cole Reaction- Melon and Apple
    Banana Republic Classic- Grapefruit
    L'Eau par Kenzo- Lemon

My favorite vegetable fragrance is Luten's Iris Silver Mist ( which should have been called Carrot Silver Mist, but hey, that's less romantic ); my favorite fruity fragrance is Biehl's AL02 ( spiced oriental meets stewed fruit - lovely ), but both are more winter fragrances than summer fragrances.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 5th June 2010 at 07:17 PM.

The new I love les Carottes by Olivia Giacobetti for Honoré des Prés (which I think will be coming out in London in June) is a remarkable.. carrot smell, with real orris butter to bolster it.

I like the berry notes in ELdO's Delicious Closet Queen, the grapefruit in Lanvin Rumeur2 Rose, and the pineapple in D'Orsay Le Dandy. (About the latter, yes, I know...)

I also like the apple in Costamor's Tabacca.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    The new I love les Carottes by Olivia Giacobetti for Honoré des Prés (which I think will be coming out in London in June) is a remarkable.. carrot smell, with real orris butter to bolster it.
    Oh, my - sounds like fun!

Peppers : Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum

Peach : Lancetti Via Condotti

I like them both as summer scents, although don't own full bottles of either.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

L'Artisan Piment Brűlant -- peppers
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Davidoff - The Good Life

Fig! Light, airy and long lasting. Not to sweet. Perfect for hot summer days IMO.

I Love many that have already been mentioned.....I also like Little Italy by Bond No.9.....CO Bigelow has a Lemon scent and an Orange scent.....Bath and Body Works has the new Citrus scent from the new collection.....There are the Acqua di Parma Blue Med. Scents and Colonia and Colonia Assoluta.....Polo Blue, Polo Red White and Blue are very nice.....I must mention Gio by Armani.....And also Wall Street which has already been mentioned.....Summer sure is a fun time to wear fragrance that's for sure.
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

the Hermes "un jardin" series seems appropriate here... Sur le nil= green mango & apres la moussin = melon
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Ralph Lauren Polo Blue has a nice cucumber/melon note, very light and refreshing
    Black XS has a synthetic strawberry note with a hint of rhubarb

Am I looking at the wrong places but why do many fruit notes in frags smell synthetic? If you cut a strawberry in half and took a smell of it, it'll smell very different from let's say, strawberry air-freshener

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Am I looking at the wrong places but why do many fruit notes in frags smell synthetic? If you cut a strawberry in half and took a smell of it, it'll smell very different from let's say, strawberry air-freshener
    Ah, this is fairly easy to answer: because for the most part, they are synthetic, as there is no natural strawberry extract. Citrus, like lemons and oranges, can have the oils in their peel expressed or the whole fruit distilled and the resulting oil used in fragrances, but many fruits and all vegetables that I know of ( carrot smell comes from carrot seed oil, rather than the root ) have no extract that perfumers can use, so they have to rely on synthetic substitutes that often fail to really capture the true thing.

There's one of the Hugh Parsons scents that smells just like vegetable soup. I didn't want to buy it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Peach : Lancetti Via Condotti

I like them both as summer scents, although don't own full bottles of either.
    + 1, I'm still not comfortable wearing in the heat though.

Wow interesting! Carrots, haven't come across that one before. Will check it out!
    Last edited by Marshmellow; 6th June 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Dependent

Off the top of my head, here are some I find quite enjoyable:

Raw cut carrots: +1 Iris Silver Mist
    Melon/cucumber: Navegar
    Pear: Hugo XY
    Grapefruit: Eau de Pamplemousse, Bvlgari Extreme
    Oranges: +1 CDOV, Idole (smells more like dried orange peel)
    Lime: Isfarkand
    Plum: Feminite du Bois (can be a little sweet)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Off the top of my head, here are some I find quite enjoyable:

Raw cut carrots: +1 Iris Silver Mist
    Melon/cucumber: Navegar
    Pear: Hugo XY
    Grapefruit: Eau de Pamplemousse, Bvlgari Extreme
    Oranges: +1 CDOV, Idole (smells more like dried orange peel)
    Lime: Isfarkand
    Plum: Feminite du Bois (can be a little sweet)
    Will check out Iris Silver Mist, seems really interesting

You should try Byredo Pulp, a fresh fruit cocktail!

Mixte Homme

I proudly dig this out the vault. This thread started and organized by Haunani, is marvelous!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...ke-Vegetables?

Scroll down in the thread for her great, colour-coded list!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 7th June 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I proudly dig this out the vault. This thread started and organized by Haunani, is marvelous!

Oh gosh, Ody! Thanks! That thing is due for an update. Thanks to you and to you, Marshmellow, perhaps I will get to that. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post

Excellent excellent list Odysseusm!

Anyone discovered any nice grape notes?

Mango - Timbuktu
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

For orange, the most delicious scent I've tried has to be Orange Sanguine. Monsieur Balmain is my favorite true lemon scent.

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    I just bought this blind after reading about it, and what a great blind buy. I'm mesmerized. It's an almost photo-realistic portrait of raw, fresh-from-the-earth carrots. Carmencanada -- do you know what that sharp, almost anise-y top note is? I think it might be the carrot seeds...

Watermelon- Eau Du Paco
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab